Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
X3 prototype causes another bomb scare in NYC

alee
Super Moderator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by alee

"Police sources identified the driver as Martin Birkman, a BMW brand manager and test driver. The vehicle, which had New Jersey dealer plates, appeared to be a new version of the BMW X6.
Birkman apparently didn't press the correct button on his key fob to remotely turn off the engine to his car, and it runs so silently that he didn't even notice it was still on when he left, a source said."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...f57d9X4WcZRrNK

Edit: Jalopnik says it was an X3 prototype http://jalopnik.com/5534703/clueless...w-for-car-bomb

Last edited by alee; 05-09-2010 at 05:37 PM..
This article has been viewed 4484 times.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
daily news article has a pic of the X3
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...l_history.html
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
NYPD Bomb Squad Breaks Into a Scary Camouflage BMW Test Vehicle

Quote:
The NYPD Bomb Squad rushed Sunday to investigate a running SUV parked outside Manhattan's American Museum of Natural History - but it was a false alarm prompted by a BMW worker road-testing the vehicle.

"It's a misunderstanding," BMW driver Martin Birkmann told the Daily News after cops re-opened Central Park West following the 90-minute scare. "I was test driving it."

Birkmann parked the prototype X3 SUV along Central Park West, near 78th St., and went to enjoy Sunday in Central Park - but mistakenly left the engine running, a BMW spokeswoman said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0nUhYdUSr

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...l_history.html
It does look scary....

mw
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Wow. It's tough to know what is more stupid: The dumbass, paranoid New Yorkers who don't know what this is and called the police in the first place, the police who did exactly what the public would expect when called for this kind of thing, or the people who would look at this as some sort of failure on the part of police.
Quote:
But coming on the heels of last Saturday's failed car bomb in Times Square, the plastic-shrouded SUV spooked a woman walking her dog - and she quickly called cops, a witness said.

"She stopped to look at it," said Al Simmons, 58, who was working at his nearby hotdog stand. "We have to look out for each other. If you see something say something.
I guess since the cops were New Yorkers WAY before they were cops- or at least they are as ignorant as New Yorkers who called the cops in the first place- we can discren from this story that New Yorkers are dumbasses who don't know what a BMW test vehicle looks like. What are they teaching kids in elementary school there? Clearly, something is wrong with New Yorkers.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 05-09-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Become the Bull

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Clearly, something is wrong with New Yorkers.
Please tell us how you really feel

As you might have heard, we just went through a pretty "real" bomb scare here. This was followed up by another (thankfully less serious) scare on friday. While it is silly that people would be unnerved by a x3 with swirls on it, i think it's pretty understandable someone would report it given the current climate of the city.

2009 335i Coupe - Delivered 7/23/2009
Old 05-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Psychology Reversalist

I think what spooked her (and the police) was that the SUV was left engine running, and no driver in sight.

- Just like the SUV in Times Square.

mw
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
I would like to know how you forget that your engine is still running.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever View Post
Just because that what was reported in the news, doesn't make it true.

On the 11 o'clock news, CBS reported that the driver used remote to turn the car on.

Still doesn't explain how come he was not back to his car before the police broke into it. That's quite a long time and quite a distance to not even see all the commotion.

So that could also be an incorrect reporting. You can't trust the news anyway. It looks like everybody is using rumors and gossip as their source.

mw
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
FWIW, I wouldn't have had a clue that the camo meant that it was a test vehicle.

And why in the hell do people need remote start? Folks ought to be grateful they don't have to use a hand crank and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever View Post
Double ditto.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
Quote:
Wow. It's tough to know what is more stupid: The dumbass, paranoid New Yorkers who don't know what this is and called the police in the first place, the police who did exactly what the public would expect when called for this kind of thing, or the people who would look at this as some sort of failure on the part of police.I guess since the cops were New Yorkers WAY before they were cops- or at least they are as ignorant as New Yorkers who called the cops in the first place- we can discren from this story that New Yorkers are dumbasses who don't know what a BMW test vehicle looks like. What are they teaching kids in elementary school there? Clearly, something is wrong with New Yorkers.
9-11 happened in NYC. Id be paranoid too.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 AM
I GOT MY BIMMER!!!!

Mein Auto: '08 528i
Quote:
Wow. It's tough to know what is more stupid: The dumbass, paranoid New Yorkers who don't know what this is and called the police in the first place, the police who did exactly what the public would expect when called for this kind of thing, or the people who would look at this as some sort of failure on the part of police.I guess since the cops were New Yorkers WAY before they were cops- or at least they are as ignorant as New Yorkers who called the cops in the first place- we can discren from this story that New Yorkers are dumbasses who don't know what a BMW test vehicle looks like. What are they teaching kids in elementary school there? Clearly, something is wrong with New Yorkers.
you're an ass.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Being paranoid these days can go a long ways especially in the US. Better safe than sorry I suppose
330 Coupe Sold
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Esq. View Post
Please tell us how you really feel
I didn't, really, I expressed the exact opposite sentiment in a satirical rant. I too would be very paranoid. The point is that I find the fact that police did not know what a BMW prototype is very UNfunny. I would expect it, in fact. I think they did exactly what we would expect of them.

On the other hand, the OP has made recent fun of exploiting police mistakes. This thread and its intent was no different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
You want a proof of how fvcking DUMB the notorious NYPD is?

Last edited by PropellerHead; 05-10-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Clearly, this country is ****ed up. Paranoid to the nth degree.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
I didn't, really, I expressed the exact opposite sentiment in a satirical rant. I too would be very paranoid. The point is that I find the fact that police did not know what a BMW prototype is very UNfunny. I would expect it, in fact. I think they did exactly what we would expect of them.

On the other hand, the OP has made recent fun of exploiting police mistakes. This thread and its intent was no different.

Trying to dig yourself out of the hole by burying me? You are losing respect at a dizzying speed. Better swallow your ego this time (I know its hard for you), and let this one go. What are you digging past posts for? What I post over there has nothing to do with the Bomb Squad and my opinion of them. Don't try to paint me in bad colors only so that you will look better. It doesn't work. None of us New Yorkers believes you.

You expect people to know BMW camouflage??? Or the police??? They suppose to see a running SUV with no driver in sight and just go away saying "oh, that's a BMW test vehicle, nothing to see here, let's go home?" They did the right thing. Broke the window and looked inside to verify that all is clear.

I bet you that more than half the people HERE AT BF don't know the BMW camouflage design. Less so people on the street. What is that has to do with "dumbness"???

"Better safe than sorry". "If you see something, say something". This is how we operate here. We see something suspicious, we report. The police checks, gives the all clear, and everything is back to normal. It would have been dumb NOT to check this vehicle.

The only dumb person in this story is the test driver. Nobody else.

Have a good day.

mw
Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
What are you digging past posts for? What I post over there has nothing to do with the Bomb Squad and my opinion of them.
BS. You posted that on Saturday here in OT. You have a problem with cops. You used the ROFL smiley to indicate that the cops were stupid- something you'd said wiithin the past 36 hours. You posted this cause you thought they were being dumb.

ONE of us has a history of supporting police action. ONE of us has expressed problems with authority within a day of this thread. The other does not. That's what this is about.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 05-10-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:

Permission requested to link this post to the Wikipedia entry "sweeping generalizations" please.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT
Quote:
Prop, just reading your above post it does come across as kind of harsh and critical of New Yorkers. I realize that that may not have been your intent but you seem kind of !!

That being said these prototype vehicles are usually pretty easy to pick out of a crowd and with the manufacturer license plates on them even easier still. Now the average person on the street may not be able to make the distinction but the NYPD sure should be able to.
2007 530xiT -- Titanium Silver / Black Dakota / Nav / PP / Step / Sirius / HD / CWP / CA /Rear shades / 2 Diono Monterey Booster Seats in Pink :>) / Hüper Optik tint -- Ordered 08/19/06 -- Delivered 10/17/06 -- 59 days order to delivery.

"Money is a strange business. People who haven't got it aim at it strongly. People who have it are full of troubles." -- Ayrton Senna

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
BS. You posted that on Saturday here in OT. You have a problem with cops. You used the ROFL smiley to indicate that the cops were stupid- something you'd said wiithin the past 36 hours. You posted this cause you thought they were being dumb.

ONE of us has a history of supporting police action. ONE of us has expressed problems with authority within a day of this thread. The other does not. That's what this is about.
Look, you will continue to argue with me until I will get tired and give up, and you will then feel like you won some ego points. I am not like that. I am not interested. So I will just reply to what you said and leave it at that. I am not interested in arguing. You said your point of view. I will say mine, and that's it for me.

1. You came and trashed NY'ers. All of us. Then you tried to dig yourself out of the hole by trashing me. That is not classy.

2. A precinct sent the cops 75-50 times to the same wrong address, a house of an old couple age over 80 years old. 75-50 times. That is dumb in my opinion. That was the discussion in the other thread, the possibility or the lack of, of the police breaking the door of a wrong address into the houses of innocent people. That was the OTHER thread.

I will criticize the police when I think they were in the wrong, and compliment them when I think they did a good thing. My opinion will change as I see fit according to my own judgement based on the subject. There is a big difference between bomb squad and others. That's my opinion. I run my own brain. You run yours. Don't try to run mine based on your rules and I am not trying to run yours based on my algorithm. And please don't try to tell others what my posts mean. I can do it myself.

In this thread, the Bomb Squad is 100% OK. My opinion.

The BMW driver: Irresponsible. My opinion.

The woman: She saw something, she said something. That is what NYC wants her to do. It's not her place to make a decision if the running SUV is a threat or not.

http://httqa.mta.info/mta/security/i...file=ssss1.jpg

http://httqa.mta.info/mta/security/i...file=ssss3.jpg

mw
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: e39
too much paranoia

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd
Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I GOT MY BIMMER!!!!

Mein Auto: '08 528i
I like the warm fuzzy feeling that i get when my heart beats because i was paranoid and it helped me stay alive.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
My opinion is they should have just kept Martin running the M division
Why the hell did he take the X3 test mule for a trip to the city? Was there a dearth of M3s or X5s in the stable?
Clearly this is a publicity stunt designed to generate interest in the upcoming all new X3

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay

Last edited by jcatral14; 05-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
And why in the hell do people need remote start? Folks ought to be grateful they don't have to use a hand crank and leave it at that.
I will now to please amend my remarks.

If I didn't live in this bucolic Mediterranean style climate but rather in one of the northern realms where months of continual below freezing weather was the norm, remote start might seem like a good idea. I imagine that if one didn't have a garage "heated" to 50 degrees, and one woke up at 6 am with 29 minutes in which to get dressed and eat before launching out the door to work, the option of starting your car, parked on the street in front of your house or in a carport perhaps, while standing at the sink in one's jammies might be a nifty option. You might get in the habit of leaving the defroster on at low speed. 15 minutes of that could make the day start off a bit smoother, I must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Clearly this is a publicity stunt designed to generate interest in the upcoming all new X3
One of my first thoughts. They noticed the Apple thing out here.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 05-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
The real question here is how many wheels were bent during this test run...
2008 X3, Alpine White (Ret.) ED: 5.22.08,
2007 328 Convertible, Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown,Sport, (Ret.)
ED: 5.25.07
2005 330 Convertible (Ret.) Sapphire Black/Tan Leather
2002 330 Convertible (Ret.) Silver/Gray Leath
1996 318 convertible (Ret.) Alphine White/Tan Leather
Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
This one is for PropellerHead!

Last edited by Bmwcat; 05-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.