Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i 5-speed
Exclamation HELP! New owner of 1986 528e

This past Saturday I picked up my first Bimmer, a 528e with the 4sp auto, and I love it. The engine and transmission run smoothly even though it has almost 280,000 miles on it. The car does need some TLC so I've come to you guys for help. I'll start with the small things.

1. I need a new gasket for the sunroof panel so it doesn't leak when it rains. Where can I find one?

2. The gauges illuminate when the lights are on but the controls on the dash(climate control, etc.) do not. Is this normal or is it a fuse problem?

3. The cruise-control does not work which isn't a big concern because I don't use it but at certain temps it tries to engage and the car makes a grinding noise. No changes in acceleration or handling, just noise. It stops when I tap the breaks but will come back on later. I think the sound is just the car looking for the cruise-control signal. How do I fix this?

4. There is likely a thread about this but I'll ask anyway. I understand that the 'e' models were the high-efficiency design of the engine and the car had different programing(firmware?) than the 528i. I would like to switch the components so the car has more power/pickup like the 528i. What needs to be done? Will just a firmware change make a difference?

Thanks in advanced for all your help and input. I'm new to BMW ownership and I don't have a lot of experience with mechanics so I ask for your patience and understanding.
Ads by Google
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandimond View Post
This past Saturday I picked up my first Bimmer, a 528e with the 4sp auto, and I love it. The engine and transmission run smoothly even though it has almost 280,000 miles on it. The car does need some TLC so I've come to you guys for help. I'll start with the small things.

1. I need a new gasket for the sunroof panel so it doesn't leak when it rains. Where can I find one?

2. The gauges illuminate when the lights are on but the controls on the dash(climate control, etc.) do not. Is this normal or is it a fuse problem?

3. The cruise-control does not work which isn't a big concern because I don't use it but at certain temps it tries to engage and the car makes a grinding noise. No changes in acceleration or handling, just noise. It stops when I tap the breaks but will come back on later. I think the sound is just the car looking for the cruise-control signal. How do I fix this?

4. There is likely a thread about this but I'll ask anyway. I understand that the 'e' models were the high-efficiency design of the engine and the car had different programing(firmware?) than the 528i. I would like to switch the components so the car has more power/pickup like the 528i. What needs to be done? Will just a firmware change make a difference?

Thanks in advanced for all your help and input. I'm new to BMW ownership and I don't have a lot of experience with mechanics so I ask for your patience and understanding.
1. Go to REALoem.com look up the part number and do a search. Pelican, AutohausAZ, ECS tuning, etc. might have the part. there's other sources as well. 2. Probably bulbs are bad or connections. Go over all the electrical connections and carefully check all the fuses. There's been plenty of threads about electrical problems, particularly in older BMW's. 3. Disconnect it if you consider it a safety issue. 4. Modifying your car is problematic. The entire car was designed differently than a 528i; Motronic, injectors, drive ratios, head and valve design. If it's stock you'll at least have some direction when it needs repairs. Change one component and other systems will be affected. If it's underpowered, buy a model with more HP. BMW engineers actually know ALOT. They've built some damn good cars.