Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
2010 Camaro

Anyone driven the SS? How does it handle. Saw one customed this weekend at it was pretty slick.
2005 645, White, Chateau Red, Black Top. 20 inch Saf Forged wheels- white chrome custome painted. Still thinking of Lowering with springs. Really wanting to do the Ipod intergration if i can find one.

The Officiall Name of my Car is "Optimus Prime"

I don't work I Ignite. If you are in TX, GA, MD, or PA you need to get at me so I can show you how to set yourself free.
Ads by Google
Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 750Li sporttttt
blackcix,

with all due respect, you drive a 6-series.

why query about a camaro
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650 I SPORT PKG
ss its to heavy for handling and trany sucks by a used vette or bye a new 5.0 mustang better handler and faster oh yeah it beats the camaro in every write up too
Vorsteiner carbon lip,Deck wing and Rear diffuser
Black mantle grill
H&R 15mm spacers for front and back Go Wide
Painted front and rear brake calibers with M logo
Exhuast rensinator delete with cats removed

Lexus L 460 touring package Family car
Svt mustang Cobra racer
Lexus Gs Modded Daily
Bmw 650i Cabrio Sold
Saleen s 351
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM

just sort of like the look and want a toy I can mod out.
2005 645, White, Chateau Red, Black Top. 20 inch Saf Forged wheels- white chrome custome painted. Still thinking of Lowering with springs. Really wanting to do the Ipod intergration if i can find one.

I don't work I Ignite. If you are in TX, GA, MD, or PA you need to get at me so I can show you how to set yourself free.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
Camero, Mustang = American made, redneck high school cruizing machine.
quality = fail
resale = fail
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: `11 MSport 750ix/`08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedesigns View Post
quality = fail
resale = fail
My Godson, a 25 year-old UMd. grad, defense tech contractor, and "Apple Genius", and who I love dearly, just purchased an `11 Black/Black Camaro. He also owns a modded-out Mustang. Not my cup of tea, but, in black, the Camaro is beautifully sinister!

By the way, it's spelled cruising; and you should be careful about those "redneck" generalizations.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 12-07-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Transformers anyone? Seriously, the Camaro is not bad looking in terms of it's design and I think it suffers from the "Chevy" badge. Not my cup of tea but the younger generation will like it.
Blackcix, if you want a car to mod out, stick with the BMW line. You will have more fun. Try getting an M3 or a 3 series to play with. My buddy has a 1988 M3 that he's working on and that thing will be a beast when done plus fun to handle. He plans to take it to Lime Rock in CT for racing.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadkhanvp View Post
blackcix,

with all due respect, you drive a 6-series.

why query about a camaro
its okay to be curious

I actually had always loved the Dodge Challenger but the new Camaro looks kiddish, not for grown ups IMO
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: E63
They are very appealing cars, I like them. Wouldn't swap my 6 for one, but if I was in the market for a nice toy and wanted a car; it would definately be at the top of my list...inferno orange with inferno orange interior package please

Oh and back to your question; I used one as a rental car on vacation last year, they have great torque/hp, and the handling is decent.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Convertible
Mod a Vette. Don't waste your time with the camaro!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM

It's not a waiste of time; i'm sure when he said he wanted something to mod, he's not just looking for a street beast; and aesthetically I think the Camaro looks amazing, I'd say it's a style prefrence like saying you prefer a pinstripe blazer over a plain one. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Waste of time was more a figure of speech. What I should have said was you will get more bang for the buck with the Vette
Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM

When I say mod, I mean not only speed, but looks as well. While the Vette is very nice, I think I could do more a camaro. I like the look of them, but I have not had a chance to drive one. I'm sure it wont handle as well as the six, probably not much out there that will. I drove a vette and did not like how it handled. I think the steering in the six is just about the best I've ever seen. Other than that, the Vette had straight raw power. I'm thinking the SS will be on the same lines. Only drawback is the interior gadgets seem to leave me wanting a little more. While the Gauges were a good Idea I think they could have placed them somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Truthfully, to me the Camaro feels more refined than the Corvette(Both C5 and C6). It could definately use a NAV screen and some other gadgets, but I like the overall feel of the 5th gen. ALOT can be done to a Camaro to make it even more aesthetically pleasing than it already is out of the box.

I think one would be a great toy to own. Get it already!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Thinking about it. I'm looking on Ebay for some good used ones. For some reason the chevy dealer close to me think they are still a hot commodity.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Obsessive or Enthusiast?

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe
My very first car at 15, a 76 Camaro! I loved it. I don't care what people think of American muscle, the 76 was a legend in its own! the 2010 model is unique enough I think to follow in its footsteps.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedesigns View Post
quality = fail
resale = fail
My company cars have been Ford and Chevy for the last 15 years. I know several people with Ford and Chevy products. And we all agree that the quality and reliability are great. The overall quality of materials are not as good, but we are driving cars that list for $80k or more. So it is expected to be very lackluster in comparison.

As far as resale...considering so many on here have bought there 6 series at 50%, 60%, 70% discount from the original list I am not sure we should be casting stones. I personally bought mine at 50% below the original sticker 3 years after it had sold. Would have been 60% off of list if I hadn't decided to opt for a CPO car.

On a side note, I grew up in North Florida. I am technically a redneck...only I done good fer myself since attendin' the big skool. No sweat though, I ain't afended by ur komments.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Not a chevy, but my Shelby GT500 is a ton of fun to drive as well......Handling vs my 650=worse.......615 hp vs my 360hp 650i?= so different it is sick. Modding forced induction is way more easy, and less costly. To each his own. BTW, my "resale" on my 07 Shelby vs 07 650i? Shelby wins........all depends on what YOU want to do.

Last edited by aflacjack; 12-06-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflacjack View Post
Not a chevy, but my Shelby GT500 is a ton of fun to drive as well......Handling vs my 650=worse.......615 hp vs my 360hp 650i?= so different it is sick. Modding forced induction is way more easy, and less costly. To each his own. BTW, my "resale" on my 07 Shelby vs 07 650i? Shelby wins........all depends on what YOU want to do.
I don't mess with Shelby's in a straight line...learned that lesson the hard way!!

-Morpheus
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
I've had a chance to drive a Camaro SS through the SoCal canyons for several hours, and I'm not sure why there are so many negative comments about it in this thread.

No, it does not drive like a BMW, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. On paper, it has similar specs to my M3. 10 more HP and ~100 lbs more weight. The price is around 60% of my car. While my engine is high-revving has a "race" sound to it, the Camaro has power throughout the range and sounds like a beast while running hard.

Handling wasn't nearly as bad as I expected and was actually quite good, though it felt disconnected from the road. The interior is a bit cheesy, but the only the only thing I really missed was having high-quality, supportive seats.

We then stopped at Supercar Sunday in Woodland Hills, a very large weekly car meet with all types of cars, including dozens of exotics. My M3, as well as most BMWs including 6's, never received a second glance; some didn't even get a first glance! However, within minutes, there was a crowd around the SS.

Last edited by CliffJumper; 12-07-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: X6///M & 06 ///M6
new camaro....... eeeeeehhhhhh

classic camaro.... different story...

american classic cars very nice and of course hold there value.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
If you want North American my vote goes to the C6 Z06 Vette, or even a Grand Sport. One of the few American cars that can blow the doors off an M3 at the track. Low weight + high power and great handling. It may not be as comfortable as a BMW on the street but if you are looking for a fun toy that will make small animals run for cover when you floor it then it's hard to beat.

One of the interesting things I have found when driving a Vette on the highway is how your average driver leaps out of the fast lane as if the pope was coming up from behind. This never happens in my 6 or my M3.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
One of the interesting things I have found when driving a Vette on the highway is how your average driver leaps out of the fast lane as if the pope was coming up from behind.
Another perspective is that they are just moving out of the way of a rapidly approaching car...it's not the Batmobile. I remember the Vette as the king of all US cars when I was growing up in the 60s...it may no longer be the king, but I'm glad to see it return to its earlier prestige.

-Morpheus
Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 AM

I would have to say in my opinion the new Z06 has been crowned king again in the US market! Drive it and you will see why!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabot View Post
I would have to say in my opinion the new Z06 has been crowned king again in the US market! Drive it and you will see why!
Not my cup of tea, but that's what I'm talking about...even with other capable competitors like the Viper and the Shelby on the US fast car landscape, the Vette has made a convincing return to glory.

-Morpheus