Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 x5 / 2007 650i conv
Convertible Alarm

Hi Guys, new to the forums.
Been lurking on the X5 side for a few years and find the forum a great source of info, thanks.

Just pulled the trigger last week and got a new (to me) 2007 Barbera Red 650i Conv. CPO and am loving it !! Still grinning ear to ear when ever I drive it - people probably think Im on some great meds

A couple of questions and observations...

IPHONE/IPOD
I had the dealer add the OEM ipod interface and while they swore up and down it wasnt compatible with any iphone, my iphone 3gs works and also charges it too so Im a very happy camper. The manual that came with it doesnt list it as valid.
Im guessing the latest kits have the right cable for iphone charging - maybe? The dealer also had to do updates to the computer so maybe that helped too.
Only thing I dont like is it forgets where it was each time you unplug it to take your phone with you - oh well. And the "random all" doesnt seem to work that well after you use next track it seems to forget.

GloveBox
I am surprised the glovebox doesn't lock, which is why Im glad the iphone works cause I didnt want to leave my ipod unlocked - not that Ill be leaving the top down much,but you know....
Some day I might look at modifying it to only open when the ignition is on, but will prob not do so until after the warranty runs out.
Might also look at an iphone/ipod extension cable out of the glovebox area thought.

Alarm
On a similar theme - how sensitive are others car alarms - I almost thought mine didnt have one or wasnt working. I was able to put and remove a bag in the passengers side footwell, open the glove box etc with the top down and no alarm!
Then I deafened myself by putting the bag in the foot-well on the drivers side
So yes it has one, as advertised, but should it be more sensitive and also work on the passenger side? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364b.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	229562  
Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
First off congratulations on the new ride. It looks great plus that color is a rare one. You did the right thing by getting a CPO.
In regards to the iphone, mine does the same whenever my wife plugs hers in. It never remembers the last track, always starts over. I figure that the iDrive cannot store the device that is hooked up externally. I do not use the iphone. I just use my memory stick. Holds tons of music. The glove box does not lock (I have not been able to do it in the 04 and the 08) but the arm rest does lock so most run the ipod connection there, that way you do not have to worry about taking it everytime you leave the car.
In regards to the alarm, mine does go off on the passerger or the driver side. Sometimes I tend to forget that the alarm is on when I have the top down and put a shopping bag or something on the seats. I get deaf for a second You may want to have the dealer check this out if its not working on the passenger side. You have warranty, so this should not be a problem.
Enjoy the car, because it's one of the best rides on the road today.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 x5 / 2007 650i conv
Good to know on the iphone and alarm going off thanks, will get the dealer to look at it when Im next in there.
Im assuming opening your glovebox would set it off? (top down, windows up, yes, you need long arms). This was my initial test that failed and got me researching it further.

Also, how far up is it sensitive? e.g. repeatedly dropping a sports bag on either of my front seat did nothing, I had to actually place it in the foot well and then only the drivers side.
I wonder were the sensors are? I had a look up and under the foot well area and didnt see anything that looked appropriate? I might have to test it again to be sure, dont want mud on my face at the dealer.

Thanks again

Paul.