Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i Convertible
Angry Fuse 7 - Immediate Short - Nightmare and now Locking Issues

I'm in desperate need of some advice for my 1999 328i convertible. I had an intermittent fuse problem with Fuse 7 which caused my convertible roof to be unstable. Now it doesn't work at all. I have followed all wires in the roof as well as trunk and have uncovered nothing. Now, my central locking system with the remote is gone. I changed the battery. The inside console central lock hasn't worked because of the fuse issue but the key was.

Does anyone know how I can find this short? Is it a relay or do I need to check every wire in the car. Or do I drive it into the lake?

Last edited by Glenner328ic; 05-11-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: tags
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i Convertible
UPDATE to Posting - I've had my roof UP for a few weeks now and occasionally use the manual method to put it down. Yesterday I decided to do some 'checking' around fuse box for wire corrosion etc. I decided to remove Fuse 7 and replace to see if short was still there. The fuse when in immediately and thus activated the roof switch and central locking button and key in door functions. I know this will be temporary until I get that roof down once.

Everyone says relays but does anyone know which one and where it's located.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Fuse 7 goes to your convertible top storage lid lock motor, red/green color wire, power supply connector 25 also red/green and trunk lid micro switch (Bentley page ELE 254) this is for a 98 model vert as the 94-97 are different. I can only guess at 99 since Bentley views 99s are E46 models in the US.
Fuse 35 goes right to the central locking system and no where else.
I don't see any relays that work on these systems when I looked but again if they made changes after 98 for 99 Bentley would be more useful looking at an E46.
Hope this helps some...