Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Sport Package vs. M-sport Package

What's the difference? Is it all cosmetic?

I'm asking because I'm considering a 2010 335d with the Sport Package (no M-Sport available in 2010 and prior diesel models).

If there is an appreciable difference in the suspension tuning, I may wait on a 2011 model where the M-Sport is now available.

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The suspension calibration between sport and M are the same. The differences:
  • M aerokit
  • Interior Glaciersilber trim
  • M-shifter
  • M sport steering wheel
  • Wheels

That said, I think the M sport models will have a difference in resale value- it's the case in Europe. The differences are noticeable due to the cosmetics and thus there will be folks who want the M sport aerokit.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
The differences between m-sport and ZSP are purely cosmetic. Some of the cosmetic differences are really nice though - anthracite headliner, available exclusive colors (Lemans blue) and interior trims (glacier aluminum). Paradoxically, ZSP offers a few available features that you can't get with M-sport (front PCD and heated steering wheel).

Opinions on whether M-sport is worthwhile are mixed here. I'd say about 70% of the posters love it, 20% are neutral, and 10% think it is a waste of money. I fall in the 10%, personally.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
M Sport in a Diesel? Thats almost an Oxymoron...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
Almost. If what I hear is true, it's not. I'll find out tomorrow when I test drive.

Thanks for the replies boys. I have what I need for now. Can add the cosmetic stuff later if needed.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Diesels can be sporty too. Look at BMW's product offerings in Europe.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
Quiet you. ^^^^^^^
Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 AM
New-d

Mein Auto: 335d
I think its only the looks. But there is also a difference in way paddle shifters work btw 2010 sport and 2011 M-sport. If its just seats and suspension you are looking at then you are better of with 2010 model as you will save lot of money because 2011 will hit dealer lots in 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicrazy592 View Post
Quiet you. ^^^^^^^
This was from die BMW Welt a few years ago

Of course, back then it had the slightly older tuning of the 3 litre diesel, only 230bhp. Later that year they bumped up the power to 245bhp while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 05-15-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Riight, because an engine with prodigious torque that offers 0-60 times in the sub 6 range isn't at all sporty.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPearl View Post
Thanks for the replies boys. I have what I need for now. Can add the cosmetic stuff later if needed.
That's incorrect. It's more than the cosmetics. It's the knowledge that you're driving an officially sanctioned version of the M3 produced by BMW's M-Division. The cost of the wheels plus the M-badged trim plus the front/rear bumpers is excessive compared to just buying it that way from the git go.

The M-Sport is the true BMW 3 Series refresh. What they did with the LCI is only 25% of the job. To make your car look new and different enough from the 2006 models that are everywhere on the road, you need the M-Sport Package. You either want to drive an M-Car or you don't. This type of design and performance isn't for everyone.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335d Touring
Quote:
Sorry did someone say something?

An M Sport package makes NO difference to performance.

E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs

Last edited by 335diesel; 05-15-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Hmmm, that pic above from AzNMPower32 is giving me second thoughts. Is that the exact same front bumper that is now in the US spec M sport package (looks a little different to me, but it may be my imagination).

BJ, you're correct, it would be cost prohibitive to purchase the parts afterwards, but the "knowledge" thing - not getting it, sorry. Nevertheless, I'm going to see what it will really cost me to get the M-sport version.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

BJ, you're correct, it would be cost prohibitive to purchase the parts afterwards, but the "knowledge" thing - not getting it, sorry. Nevertheless, I'm going to see what it will really cost me to get the M-sport version.

The thing to pay attention to is how feminine the front stock front end looks and how masculine and aggressive the M-Sport front end looks. The diffuser on the rear is certainly sporty, gives that an aggressive edge too. Wheels are a matter of personal taste, but I find that the M wheels always are the best looking BMW has to offer in a given year.

Look at the two photos above. If you can't see a difference in appearance, freshness, and aggressiveness, go with stock.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 05-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
2009 335i M sport

Mein Auto: BMW 335i M sport
IMO the design of the E92 is not feminine in the slightest, M sport or stock. I think the front end looks menacing, especially at night, with the M sport areo package it certainly looks even more so. I've had mine 6 weeks and I notice it grabs peoples attention more than the sport model.

09 335i Msport, Prem, Logic 7, Heated seats, 6 MT.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM

BJ, I'm buying a sedan, not a coupe - that's a totally different look altogether. I wish the sedan had the coupe front end.

Looking at the coupe photos, I'd definitely go for the M package. Looking at the sedan photos (your sig.), not so sure.

For some reason, on the E90 sedan, the M front bumper is just a little watered down - it doesn't jut forward aggressively at the bottom like all the other M lines.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
BJ, I'm buying a sedan, not a coupe - that's a totally different look altogether. I wish the sedan had the coupe front end.

Looking at the coupe photos, I'd definitely go for the M package. Looking at the sedan photos (your sig.), not so sure.

For some reason, on the E90 sedan, the M front bumper is just a little watered down - it doesn't jut forward aggressively at the bottom like all the other M lines.
What color are you looking at getting? There are some tools I can use to help you visualize.

Along those lines, have you seen an M-Sport Sedan side by side with a stock E90 at your dealer? Usually when that happens, it's lights out.

BJ

Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 AM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukboi View Post
IMO the design of the E92 is not feminine in the slightest, M sport or stock. I think the front end looks menacing, especially at night, with the M sport areo package it certainly looks even more so. I've had mine 6 weeks and I notice it grabs peoples attention more than the sport model.
the new e92 does not look like the picture bj posted. starting in 2011 the m sport is a necessity if you are buying an e92.

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 535 M Sport
M SPort simply brings more content and value to the car...

The M Sport package is a level above the regular sport package - that is really nondebatable. It costs more because it gives you more. The idea that its only appearance is kind of childish. People on here spend $2-3K to swap out oem wheels so how can the M Sport not be worth it when the M Sport wheels are MUCH nicer than the base or sport wheels? The content of an M Sport 3 series will bring a higher resale as well because the front M3 bumper cover is almost universally more liked than the more vanilla front on the base car. Its not a performance issue, its a content issue. When was the last time you had a loaner with an M Sport package on it....exclusivity costs money people.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 AM

I have had two loaner M Sports - and you totally contradict yourself Rik - first you say it makes a performance difference, then you say it doesn't.

Here are some facts:

There is no evidence that the M Sport pack makes any difference to performance. If anything it dents it because it weighs more.
M Sport wheels are larger (in the UK) and heavier than smaller non m Sport alloys.
M Sport wheels are fragile - loads of problems with two styles of them.
M Sport front spoilers catch on any speed hump
M Sport rear valances hide twin tail pipes and have horrible grey plastic.
"Nicer" is in the eye of the beholder - I think M Sport wheels look fussy. I prefer BMWs simpler styles.
M Sport on a non M car is very much for the wannabee.
You don't appear to have M Sport wheels - you have some pretty horrible aftermarket wheels by the looks of it.
M Sport packages are not exclusive - in fact over here, it's MUCH more exclusive to have a "proper" 3 series (335i or 335d) with SE trim.
You have the xi - they looked so jacked up on stilts that I'd consider moving into an xi wheel arch as a home should I ever lose mine. My SE rides MUCH lower (and has M Sport suspension)

next...
E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs

Last edited by 335diesel; 05-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikwynn View Post
The M Sport package is a level above the regular sport package - that is really nondebatable. It costs more because it gives you more. The idea that its only appearance is kind of childish. People on here spend $2-3K to swap out oem wheels so how can the M Sport not be worth it when the M Sport wheels are MUCH nicer than the base or sport wheels? The content of an M Sport 3 series will bring a higher resale as well because the front M3 bumper cover is almost universally more liked than the more vanilla front on the base car. Its not a performance issue, its a content issue. When was the last time you had a loaner with an M Sport package on it....exclusivity costs money people.
No, what is childish are your posts and your constant attempts to make yourself feel better about your m-wannabee sedan.

The M-sport package IS an appearance package. That's it. It doesn't add "content." It doesn't give you more of anything. In fact, it deletes nice features (like the front PCD).

Whether the looks are worth it is totally up to the buyer.

To the OP, if the m-sport is going to make owning the car a lot more fun for you, it seems like a worthwhile investment to me. A few more bucks for loving the way your car looks that much more.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 05-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Perhaps the M Sport package is primarily an appearance package but I don't see that as an issue. If you like the way it looks and think it is worth the money than by all means get it.

It may possibly add to resale but the neither the M Sport or any other option will add enough to resale to make up for the additional cost at puchase.

I personally like the fact that BMW offers a number of option choices. It lets us add a certain amount of individuality to a relatively common mass produced car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 AM

Captain - of course it is - totally agree. And IMO an E90 looks better with the M Sport pack but I prefer the E92 and E91 without - just choices. But too many think it makes their car go faster. It doesn't.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I have had two loaner M Sports - Here are some facts:

.....snip.....

Preparing response for 335dub. Gettin' my Whoa-B on.

BRB

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Captain - of course it is - totally agree. And IMO an E90 looks better with the M Sport pack but I prefer the E92 and E91 without - just choices. But too many think it makes their car go faster. It doesn't.
Hey 335dub, I'm ready with my response now that I'm pumped on Whoa-B. Here it is:

1. A Station Wagon owner shouldn't feel the need to infest every M-Sport thread with his opinion on what is and isn't sporty.

2. I don't know a single M-Sport owner who thinks it makes his car go faster. We just think it looks better.

BJ