Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d Touring
HELLO HELLO hello hello hello ello llo lo o o o o...

***the sound made when shouting "hello" at BJs "sporty" wheelarch "caves."***

"SEE YOU LATER"

***the sound made by a 335d owner when a pesky 328 "taxi" tries to race him***

YELP YELP YELP

***the sound a lovely dog makes when BJ tries to put it in his boot/trunk***

"Dad, can we take the skis to Aspen/surfboard to California/bike to Oregon/insert appropriate large object"
"No son, we don't got no room is this here taxi boy"

***Reversing***

CRASH!!

The sound made because he can't see out of his wiperless rear screen or judge the length of his trunk.

TAXI!

***The sound made by someone trying to hail BJ's minicab***
E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs
Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
My god, what have I started....!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
I went with the M-Sport package because:

My previous car was an '07 335xi. The M-Sport differentiates the car quite a bit when combined with the LCI changes.

I would have gone ZSP with the wheel upgrade anyways, so it was not a lot more money to add the aero package, steering wheel, shifter and headliner.

I like the headliner, shifter, steering wheel, and M wheels quite a bit. They add a different feel to what was essentially the same car.

Just a bit more so.

jummo

p.s. The skis fit quite nicely in the sedan when driving to Aspen for those of you keeping score at home.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
HELLO HELLO hello hello hello ello llo lo o o o o...

***the sound made when shouting "hello" at BJs "sporty" wheelarch "caves."***

"SEE YOU LATER"

***the sound made by a 335d owner when a pesky 328 "taxi" tries to race him***

YELP YELP YELP

***the sound a lovely dog makes when BJ tries to put it in his boot/trunk***

"Dad, can we take the skis to Aspen/surfboard to California/bike to Oregon/insert appropriate large object"
"No son, we don't got no room is this here taxi boy"

***Reversing***

CRASH!!

The sound made because he can't see out of his wiperless rear screen or judge the length of his trunk.

TAXI!

***The sound made by someone trying to hail BJ's minicab***
I must have really hurt you with my words to drive you to this level of lunacy. For that, I sincerely apologize.

I want to be sensitive here, and I know its getting close to bedtime, so I'll try to say this as gently as I can: No Station Wagon owner can ever hurt my feelings. Because they drive a Station Wagon.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post

My previous car was an '07 335xi. The M-Sport differentiates the car quite a bit when combined with the LCI changes.

I would have gone ZSP with the wheel upgrade anyways, so it was not a lot more money to add the aero package, steering wheel, shifter and headliner.

I like the headliner, shifter, steering wheel, and M wheels quite a bit. They add a different feel to what was essentially the same car.

Just a bit more so.

jummo
You forgot the most important part. It's amazing how much faster the M-Sport Package makes the car. My shoulders hurt from being thrown back so hard. What a rush.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPearl View Post
My god, what have I started....!
It's not you're fault, Pearl. You're okay. Just stay away from England, station wagons, and dubstep music and you'll be fine.

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Hey 335dub, I'm ready with my response now that I'm pumped on Whoa-B. Here it is:

1. A Station Wagon owner shouldn't feel the need to infest every M-Sport thread with his opinion on what is and isn't sporty.

2. I don't know a single M-Sport owner who thinks it makes his car go faster. We just think it looks better.

BJ

Its funny, a guy like me will pay $550 extra to get metallic paint - because I like the damn color and makes the car more fun to own. Given that, paying an extra $1000 or so for m-sport (over ZSP) seems pretty rationale. If it makes the diff between you like and loving your car, I think it is probably a smart move.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

And I shall sleep safely in the knowledge that my car doesn't look like a Mitsubishi Carisma...

E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Convertible
I happen to agree with all the folks here that recommend NO M-SPORT (and if you look below, I have a real M3).

I happen to love the 335d; and if I were in the market for a lease, this and a Cadillac CTS are my favorite picks.

I agree with the poster above that mentioned that the M-Tech goodies add weight, and you can trick out any BMW with a sport package and tasteful rims (at time of lease/purchase) and have an equally eye-catching if not unique car.

To name another example. I have seen TWO e39 540i sedans in the last two months with the M-Sport styling (M5) at that time. IT LOOKS STUPID AND TRITE.

the e39 540 is a positively amazing car, and already has a special front bumper. But, seeting a 540i dressed up like an M5 really is poor taste.

The same rules apply here. I love my M3 because it is an M3, from guts to exterior features. I personally think that M-Technic is the best after-market house for BMW's period.

But, I rather increase the content of my car and maintain good looks rather than weighing the car down more (putting more strain on an engine not made for it) only to have to explain on encounter why your 335 has M3 cosmetics.

That's just me.

The 335d is gorgeous. Also, pratically for daily driving, you will hit less **** (curbs, parking rails) without the M spoilers. Get the normal sport package, pick out a unique set of rims from the dealer as part of your deal (perferably that are LIGHTER than what it comes with!)--and enjoy your new toy.
2000 528i, 1994 325ic

///M
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Perhaps this will be a further help (a what I would do in your situation):

--Get the normal sports/performance package (which adds actual content to your ride)
--pick out a nice 17" rim from the dealer at time of purchase (I think standard are 16ers; I am a firm believer that 18 inch rims are too large on any 3 series--although I know the e90 is a larger chassis than e34 and e36)

--down the line; perhaps change your tires for something lower and more performance oritented than the run-flats.

Cosmetically, nice rims are the BEST addition to a car you can make. A set of sick tires also happens to be better than any after-market modification for performance bits.

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

On a side, I have heard of people getting the M-sport package and debadging their cars--in order for it to look like an M3. If you want an M3 buy and M3. Take it from me, their is absolutely no substitute to that machine.

But, by really taking an interest in the options you can get from BMW you can build a truely wonderful machine without getting or posing with M-Tech cosmetics
2000 528i, 1994 325ic

///M
Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM

haha; sorry when I said I know the e34 and e36 are smaller chassis. I meant the "e46". E34 is a 5-series (still looks best with 17's though, IMO).
2000 528i, 1994 325ic

///M
Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

M3 - I couldn't agree more!

(happen to have a 335d on 17s, with non RFTs and sports suspension - all for the driving experience, nothing for show)

M is for the M cars. M-Sports is for "My car is trying too hard" cars.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
And I shall sleep safely in the knowledge that my car doesn't look like a Mitsubishi Carisma...
....and I shall remain grateful that I don't drive in neighborhoods so low that I even knew that that car existed.

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Its funny, a guy like me will pay $550 extra to get metallic paint - because I like the damn color and makes the car more fun to own. Given that, paying an extra $1000 or so for m-sport (over ZSP) seems pretty rationale. If it makes the diff between you like and loving your car, I think it is probably a smart move.
Exactly. Money is never an issue for BMW owners because we can afford whatever we want. Some are thrifty though, preferring extra hauling capacity, truck engines, and inconvenient sooty diesel fuel just to stretch a buck. It's all good. No haters.

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Purist View Post
I happen to agree with all the folks here that recommend NO M-SPORT (and if you look below, I have a real M3).
Dude, no offense, but that's not a "real M3". That's a used car that any 18 year old high school boy can buy on Craigslist with his bar mitzvah money.

Now before you go saying that I don't know what I'm talking about and that you're the expert on what is/isn't an M3 based on your extensive experience, let me cut you off by saying that similarly you don't know what you're talking about because your car 11 year old relic is practically an antique and you don't know what's going on with E9X design and ownership.

So you avoid threads about E9X M-Sport and I'll avoid threads about E36 M3's and the time/space continuum will be restored. Cool?

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Purist View Post

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

On a side, I have heard of people getting the M-sport package and debadging their cars--in order for it to look like an M3. If you want an M3 buy and M3. Take it from me, their is absolutely no substitute to that machine.

But, by really taking an interest in the options you can get from BMW you can build a truely wonderful machine without getting or posing with M-Tech cosmetics

When you're in "our shoes" please feel free to tell us what "you'd do". Until then, please don't think that M-Sport owners are going out of their way to make their cars look anything like your 11 year old antique.

None of us are "posing" as anything, certainly we wouldn't own brand new $50,000 German luxury cars to try to make them look like a 1999 E36. Get ahold of yourself, son.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 05-17-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
M3 - I couldn't agree more!

M is for the M cars. M-Sports is for "My car is trying too hard" cars.
Please note that BJ 2.0 is showing amazing restraint whilst being challenged by a guy driving a soccer mom's station wagon and a kid in a Craigslist "cash-only" used car special. A "real" sports car aficionado and a "real" M3 owner.

It's like Bizzaro Bimmerfest today. For our next trick, a Toyota Camry owner will magically appear and school M-Sport owners on the merits of performance enthusiasm.

BJ

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
It's like Bizzaro Bimmerfest today. For our next trick, a Toyota Camry owner will magically appear and school M-Sport owners on the merits of performance enthusiasm.

BJ
I don't understand... if Camrys are good enough for NASCAR, what could possibly be wrong about driving one?

And I will say that I like the looks of the M Sport package a lot. I'd hesitate to drop $$$ on it due to the scraping speed bump issue, but it sure does fit my eye.

Also... thanks to all for participating in this thread. The mudslinging (albeit mostly in jest) has truly brightened my day.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post
I don't understand... if Camrys are good enough for NASCAR, what could possibly be wrong about driving one?

And I will say that I like the looks of the M Sport package a lot. I'd hesitate to drop $$$ on it due to the scraping speed bump issue, but it sure does fit my eye.

Also... thanks to all for participating in this thread. The mudslinging (albeit mostly in jest) has truly brightened my day.
I don't mind driving Nascar version of Camry, no doubt

Arguing M-sport to non is like arguing "I like blue better than red", WTF?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post

Arguing M-sport to non is like arguing "I like blue better than red", WTF?
The root cause here is that there's some unwritten rule that says that any attempt at making a base 3 Series look more aggressive with some body panels automatically makes you a poseur and "trying to turn your car into a wannabe M3!". Like its something so special that just every BMW owner would just die to own one. Car is made for a VP in the middle of a midlife crisis who thinks $80,000 can cure his receding hairline. Yes, this is what everyone is just dying to drive.

BMW themselves have sanctioned the M-Sport Package. They offer it for sale themselves. It's no different than an LCI or an IS or any other vehicle configuration that BMW offers.

But put a front and rear fender on your BMW that looks more aggressive AAAAAAAAAAAAAH you're an M3 poseur and you're going to hear about it from "true" M3 drivers like our 1999 rustbucket friend.

Please. The funniest thing of all here is that outside of our tight little BMW community, no one knows the difference between an M3 and a 328i. So the only people who know what a real M3 looks like are the very people who could sniff out a poseur anyway. It's not like we can fool anyone if we tried.

And I keep looking for these people, you know. Every time I see another 3 Series on the road I peek into it. Look inside. Expecting to see a 28 year old cool guy who gives me a knowing glance and the ol' thumbs-up. But what do I see? What greets me every single blessed time I peer into the windows of a 3 Series? You got it. A slightly chubby 50 year old female school teacher. Every time. For years.

Too funny.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 05-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
$50,000

Quote:

When you're in "our shoes" please feel free to tell us what "you'd do". Until then, please don't think that M-Sport owners are going out of their way to make their cars look anything like your 11 year old antique.

None of us are "posing" as anything, certainly we wouldn't own brand new $50,000 German luxury cars to try to make them look like a 1999 E36. Get ahold of yourself, son.

BJ
BJ - You don't own a $50,000 German car unless Tulley saw you coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-05-17 at 5.03.30 PM.png
Views:	150
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	230550  
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired
Z4 2004 -retired
Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post

Just a bit more so.

jummo

p.s. The skis fit quite nicely in the sedan when driving to Aspen for those of you keeping score at home.
+1 There is nothing cosmetic when comparing the steering wheel, shifter, and M wheels to the regular sport package. I feel the difference every time I drive the car. The headliner is cosmetic but looks awesome. Anyone who says the package is solely cosmetic is entirely unable to comprehend the english language.

It's one thing trying to poser up second-hand, third-hand, or fourth-hand used relic to be something it isn't, it's entirely another thing to purchase new and choose between option packages offered by the manufacturer.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 05-17-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Hey -here's a 40+ year old antique that sold last week for £12m

And here's a 10 year old BMW that is worth 30% more now than when it sold - approx value £110,000

Now here's a new base spec BMW - brand new in fact:

So that's the "old" argument out of the window - again.

Now there's the hilarious declaration that "most people think a 328i M Sport is the same as an M3" - once again you are so very deluded BJ. My wife knows the difference, by her grandparents know the difference. My 70 year old neighbour knows the difference. My little sister knows the difference.

If you for one second think anyone with good enough eyesight to drive could mistake your jacked up on stilts poverty spec BMW with it's food blender motor engine for this car, you are oh so very very mistaken:

So then cruise, why didn't you out the extra money towards a proper engine?

The details are purely cosmetic - end of. And we invented your language anyway. Those with class get big engines and no plastic bodykits. Those who are wannabees get small engines with all the plastic bits, the fake M badges and some black headliner. End of.

Last edited by 335diesel; 05-17-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Hey -here's a 40+ year old antique that sold last week for £12m

And here's a 10 year old BMW that is worth 30% more now than when it sold - approx value £110,000

Now here's a new base spec BMW - brand new in fact:

So that's the "old" argument out of the window - again.

Now there's the hilarious declaration that "most people think a 328i M Sport is the same as an M3" - once again you are so very deluded BJ. My wife knows the difference, by her grandparents know the difference. My 70 year old neighbour knows the difference. My little sister knows the difference.

If you for one second think anyone with good enough eyesight to drive could mistake your jacked up on stilts poverty spec BMW with it's food blender motor engine for this car, you are oh so very very mistaken:

So then cruise, why didn't you out the extra money towards a proper engine?

The details are purely cosmetic - end of. And we invented your language anyway. Those with class get big engines and no plastic bodykits. Those who are wannabees get small engines with all the plastic bits, the fake M badges and some black headliner. End of.
The details are not purely cosmetic. Cosmetic means http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cosmetic

The wheels, shifter, and steering wheel are not purely cosmetic, they directly impact the driving experience. Other parts of the M-Sport package are cosmetic.

As far as the engine is concerned, do you have inside knowledge that my engine was made by Yugo or some other inferior brand to BMW and somehow placed in my car without BMW's knowledge? It seems to me that any BMW engine, and any other BMW option originally offered at the time of purchase is a proper BMW engine or option. If given a choice I would have chosen the 320d.

Please get a clue.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
The root cause here is that there's some unwritten rule that says that any attempt at making a base 3 Series look more aggressive with some body panels automatically makes you a poseur and "trying to turn your car into a wannabe M3!". Like its something so special that just every BMW owner would just die to own one. Car is made for a VP in the middle of a midlife crisis who thinks $80,000 can cure his receding hairline. Yes, this is what everyone is just dying to drive.

BMW themselves have sanctioned the M-Sport Package. They offer it for sale themselves. It's no different than an LCI or an IS or any other vehicle configuration that BMW offers.

But put a front and rear fender on your BMW that looks more aggressive AAAAAAAAAAAAAH you're an M3 poseur and you're going to hear about it from "true" M3 drivers like our 1999 rustbucket friend.

Please. The funniest thing of all here is that outside of our tight little BMW community, no one knows the difference between an M3 and a 328i. So the only people who know what a real M3 looks like are the very people who could sniff out a poseur anyway. It's not like we can fool anyone if we tried.

And I keep looking for these people, you know. Every time I see another 3 Series on the road I peek into it. Look inside. Expecting to see a 28 year old cool guy who gives me a knowing glance and the ol' thumbs-up. But what do I see? What greets me every single blessed time I peer into the windows of a 3 Series? You got it. A slightly chubby 50 year old female school teacher. Every time. For years.

Too funny.

BJ

Er, aren't you the one who goes around with the //m328i stuff. That is kind of M poseur (and, yes, I know you are ultimately kidding).

I know that you are far from a "poseur" yourself. Its pretty obvious you simply bought the M-sport package because you like it - and I bet you would had made the same choice if it were called the fluffy kittens package. I'm less convinced that is true of the typical M-sport driver though.