Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Please. The funniest thing of all here is that outside of our tight little BMW community, no one knows the difference between an M3 and a 328i. So the only people who know what a real M3 looks like are the very people who could sniff out a poseur anyway. It's not like we can fool anyone if we tried.

BJ
BJ,

The differences between the 328i, the 335i and the M3 are so obvious and so pronounced that there is no chance that anyone would not be able to tell the difference.

They do not look remotely similar to each other.

What are you going to try to convince us next?

That these two guys look alike?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-17-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Roadster - 335i Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Er, aren't you the one who goes around with the //m328i stuff. That is kind of M poseur (and, yes, I know you are ultimately kidding).
Ditto that comment! Buy the M-Sport package if that's what you want, but don't stick M badges on the car and pretent it's something it isn't!

Current:
2008 335i Convertible - Sapphire Black
Not Current:
Z4M Roadster
130i Hatch (wife's drive)
Z4 3.0 (x2)
Mini Cooper S (wife's drive)
Z3 2.8
Z3 1.9
(other marques don't rate a mention!)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Gad, that car in your sig is beautiful!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Roadster - 335i Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Gad, that car in your sig is beautiful!
Thanks!!

I sold the Z4M a couple of weeks ago after almost 4 years of extreme driving pleasure but haven't gotten around to changing the pic yet!

Current:
2008 335i Convertible - Sapphire Black
Not Current:
Z4M Roadster
130i Hatch (wife's drive)
Z4 3.0 (x2)
Mini Cooper S (wife's drive)
Z3 2.8
Z3 1.9
(other marques don't rate a mention!)
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
2009 335i M sport

Mein Auto: BMW 335i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborough View Post
Ditto that comment! Buy the M-Sport package if that's what you want, but don't stick M badges on the car and pretent it's something it isn't!
BMW already put the M badges on the car for me..

09 335i Msport, Prem, Logic 7, Heated seats, 6 MT.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
The details are not purely cosmetic. Cosmetic means http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cosmetic

The wheels, shifter, and steering wheel are not purely cosmetic, they directly impact the driving experience. Other parts of the M-Sport package are cosmetic.

As far as the engine is concerned, do you have inside knowledge that my engine was made by Yugo or some other inferior brand to BMW and somehow placed in my car without BMW's knowledge? It seems to me that any BMW engine, and any other BMW option originally offered at the time of purchase is a proper BMW engine or option. If given a choice I would have chosen the 320d.

Please get a clue.
No a "proper" engine is a Euro spec 330i (or d) or above. A 320d in M Sport kit is a ridiculous wannabee of a car.

And yes, I've had two M Sport loaners with small engines (320d) - the fatter steering wheel (there is hardly any difference in the standard sports wheel on a 335d/i and the M Sport one BTW - get a clue) and the wheels only make the car crashier (get a clue) and are fragile - they have NO performance benefit. Your sub 200lbs-ft would hardly trouble 175 section tyres, let alone ludicrous 255s.

Let's face it - you tarted up you car to try and make it look a bit special. You failed.

I have very much of a clue wannabee boy and will enjoy my much quicker "sleeper" while you try oh so hard in your dressed up base spec BMW.

Next...
E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
No a "proper" engine is a Euro spec 330i (or d) or above. A 320d in M Sport kit is a ridiculous wannabee of a car.

And yes, I've had two M Sport loaners with small engines (320d) - the fatter steering wheel (there is hardly any difference in the standard sports wheel on a 335d/i and the M Sport one BTW - get a clue) and the wheels only make the car crashier (get a clue) and are fragile - they have NO performance benefit. Your sub 200lbs-ft would hardly trouble 175 section tyres, let alone ludicrous 255s.

Let's face it - you tarted up you car to try and make it look a bit special. You failed.

I have very much of a clue wannabee boy and will enjoy my much quicker "sleeper" while you try oh so hard in your dressed up base spec BMW.

Next...
You drive a Station Wagon. Your opinion matters only to soccer moms, nannies, and plumbers.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Msport
Anyone should buy whatever they like.Everyone has different taste ans some pockets deeper than others.MSport is just looks has nothing to do with horsepower.I ordered an 2011 335d MSport just because i love the look of the car and wanted to be a little different than everyone else.I also got a great deal because i work for BMW for 12 years.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM

Yes but why get a small engined BMW but spend loads on the M Sport kit? Why not get an SE and spend the extra on a better engine? That's what I really don't get - base spec BMW with M Sport bodykits. While I'm not keen on M Sports stuff, it seems "okay" on the 335i and 335d.
E91 UK spec 335d (286bhp), sapphire black, sports suspension, 17" 160 star alloys on CSC3 non RFTs, terra dakota leather, full sunroof, retractable rear sun blinds, comfort pack, folding rear headrests, a dog, a baby, a wife and usually surfboards and MTBs
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335d View Post
Anyone should buy whatever they like.Everyone has different taste ans some pockets deeper than others.MSport is just looks has nothing to do with horsepower.I ordered an 2011 335d MSport just because i love the look of the car and wanted to be a little different than everyone else.I also got a great deal because i work for BMW for 12 years.
+1 When my 335xi lease is up this year, I may replace it with a new BMW instead of buying the current one. If it's a new one, it will be with the M Sport package.

My 535xiT has the M Sport package because I like the look; however, no one thinks I am driving an M5.

When I did the Performance Center delivery earlier this month, they gave me an M5 to drive so now I don't think I'm driving an M5 either.
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM

In think the 5 series DOES look better with the M Sport package. As again the E90 looks better with it, the E91 and E92 are better without it - the new E92 however suits the M Sport kit more.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:

Next...
Hilarious. You are obviously a sad little man who is stuck in a wagon. But, hey, at least you sprang for the rear blinds. That is a Proper BMW option, isn't it? That must make you feel like a winner.

My car is infinitely sexier than your car will ever be. The ladies love it! Just because you go 0-60 a tick quicker than me matters not. It amazes me how many people buy the bigger engine and then do nothing with it. If you don't track your car I really don't see the point of wasting cash on a bigger engine. I saw a 70 year old woman in a M3 convert last week. Absolutely freaking hilarious.

If trying to slam people here helps you compensate for the shortcomings in your life, so be it. I can tell you need an outlet to feel better about yourself.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=335diesel;5191102]No a "proper" engine is a Euro spec 330i (or d) or above. A 320d in M Sport kit is a ridiculous wannabee of a car.
[QUOTE]

And this is based on your consultations with BMW upper management?
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM

I have almost 70bhp more than you. I have over twice the torque. You car gets nailed by a warm hatch, mine can see off an E46 M3 on a track.

Your car is a slow one dressed like an M3. Mine is a fast one with proper steering (unlike yours) proper brakes (unlike yours) proper suspension and a proper engine.

Yours is a base spec wannabee car that has has some overpriced cosmetic tarting up done to it. The Coupe should ONLY have a 35i or 35d engine in it. Full stop.

Yours is the loud, slightly overweight guy in a tight top trying to look like he works out but he's actually a p***y, mines is the quiet one is a well tailored suit that happens to have served in the SAS.

Mine would slay yours off the lights, around a track, anywhere - sorry, who has the sports car?

End of.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
Quote:
While I'm not keen on M Sports stuff, it seems "okay" on the 335i and 335d.

Phew! What a relief, I was really starting to worry I had made a terrible mistake.

Thanks! I feel much better now.

jummo
Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Mine would slay yours off the lights, around a track, anywhere - sorry, who has the sports car?
Um, I have the sexy coupe and I bet my driving skills would help me get around a track faster than you. So, to answer your question - I have the sports car, you have the wagon.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Still loving this thread

The joy BMW touts as part of the driving experience is almost eclipsed by the joy of reading this thread. Please. Don't stop.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Um, I have the sexy coupe and I bet my driving skills would help me get around a track faster than you. So, to answer your question - I have the sports car, you have the wagon.

So then, are you Police trained to A1 standard (i.e. MUCH higher than US cops)? I doubt it. Tell me your track experience then? Been taught by a top Lotus test driver have you? Written a BMW review for a top National newspaper? I have done all these things and much more.

You are what we call in the UK "a deluded chav" who is upset his "flashy" car gets raped by a GTI. Mine beats "proper" fast cars around a track including the 335i. Your car is like an Audi TT diesel - all show, not much go and very disappointing to all the "laydeez." So your car is slower - how is it "sportier" then? Yours is a coupe, mine is a Sports Wagon - see that word "sports?" Probably not as I'm detecting a strong lack of any education here - Cruise Bone...

You lose and will keep losing until your excess of gold jewellery corrodes and falls off.

Last edited by 335diesel; 05-18-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 335
I ordered the M-sport package on the 335i coupe just because I liked the way it looked.....much more sporty.

so apparently that is laughable now?

quite confused...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Is everyone aware that the words I write are a thing called an OPINION? Bear that in mind please.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You drive a Station Wagon. Your opinion matters only to soccer moms, nannies, and plumbers.

BJ
and Kilgore!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM

And most of the Polizzi family, heirs to the Forte fortune and plenty of other celebrities...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst6 View Post
I ordered the M-sport package on the 335i coupe just because I liked the way it looked.....much more sporty.

so apparently that is laughable now?

quite confused...
Don't let 335diesel confuse you, he is the only one confused. Well, he and Kilgore.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Yes but why get a small engined BMW but spend loads on the M Sport kit? Why not get an SE and spend the extra on a better engine? That's what I really don't get - base spec BMW with M Sport bodykits. While I'm not keen on M Sports stuff, it seems "okay" on the 335i and 335d.
Listen Dubstep, the answer is because the E90/91/92/93 platform is old and out-of-style. Worse, BMW's lifecycle does not sync with Mercedes and Audi, making our circa 2006 cars look as if they're from 1996. Current German styling is bold, vivid, and aggressive. The E9X styling is conservative, understated, and feminine.

The M-Sport Package + the LCI = the closest you can get to Mercedes Benz and Audi from a styling standpoint, and distances you as much as possible from the 2006 E90.

The average age of a new BMW owner is 47. Let me repeat that. The average age of a new BMW owner, from BMW's own statistics department, is 47. And she is 51% female, 49% male. 50% lease, 50% own. She's a VP's trophy wife, needing a cute BMW to drive to the nail salon. He's an executive middle-manager, keeping up with the Joneses in the company parking lot. These are not people who make the connection between "performance" and "style".

And, never forget, the 328i engine is a beast. It does a great job. I can dust every car on the highway, no problem. Just requires a bit more pedal travel. Just because BMW makes some powerplants that are excessive doesn't mean that the one with the smallest HP number is weak. Not by any stretch.

You've been sucked in by the BMW "performance enthusiast" myth. Just look at you. You drive a Station Wagon, but you're convinced that you're riding around in a sportscar. It's not you who should be laughing at us, accusing us of being poseurs, bro. Other way around. We bought the M-Sport Package because it looked better. You bought a BMW Station Wagon because you think its a high-performance sports car. LOL.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
So then, are you Police trained to A1 standard (i.e. MUCH higher than US cops)? I doubt it. Tell me your track experience then? Been taught by a top Lotus test driver have you? Written a BMW review for a top National newspaper? I have done all these things and much more.

You are what we call in the UK "a deluded chav" who is upset his "flashy" car gets raped by a GTI. Mine beats "proper" fast cars around a track including the 335i. Your car is like an Audi TT diesel - all show, not much go and very disappointing to all the "laydeez." So your car is slower - how is it "sportier" then? Yours is a coupe, mine is a Sports Wagon - see that word "sports?" Probably not as I'm detecting a strong lack of any education here - Cruise Bone...

You lose and will keep losing until your excess of gold jewellery corrodes and falls off.

WOW - you sound absolutely AMAZING. Everybody must want to be you. I can't imagine being such a big man like you. It must be awesome waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and admiring yourself. You sound like the type of person who should be driving an M3, not a station wagon.

By A1 Standard, I assume you are talking about full contact billy clubs? Or are these the grown up UK cops who actually get to carry a gun?

Why did you feel compelled to put a picture of you and your wife in here? You could have at least posted a picture with both of you flashing the pearly whites, not that you would want to exacerbate any stereotypes.

FYI - I've never owned a piece of gold jewelry (nice spelling btw) in my life. What are you trying to get at? And what the he** is a Chav. Please speak English.

I don't race GTI's. I don't race anybody. It is unsafe and it is illegal. But as brilliant as sound, surely you know this.
If you feel you have to race people to prove you are a man, go for it. Sounds like just more compensating for shortcomings in your life. But at least you have the automatic rear blinds on your wagon. Those are hot.
PCD - December 16, 2009