Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540is(6)
Lightbulb Installed Bluetooth Phone in 2001 540i

Well, after much research, work, and fun, I now have my Bluetooth phone system operating in my 2001 540i. The system integrates 100% with the MID unit, giving full use of steering wheel controls, display on both MID and instrument cluster, phonebook transfer from phone (via bluetooth), full voice recognition, mute of radio on incoming and outgoing calls. System is VERY easy to install and does NOT require installation of a cradle (keep phone in your shirt pocket and just get in the car). Thus there are no cables, brackets, goose necks, cigarette lighter connections, etc... cluttering up the console. Complete system can be installed (plug and play), in approximately 1 hour (with no cutting, soldering, or splicing of wires meaning you don't have to have the dealer do the install). Recoding of the MID by your local dealer (15-20 minutes) IS required (instructions for the dealer is included).

The system SHOULD be compatible with earlier model cars which are pre-wired for CPT phone systems (back to '97, also MAY be able to retro back to 5000VR wired vehicles). System is phone network independent, meaning as long as you have a bluetooth phone for your network (TDMA, CDMA, GSM), then you should be all set. Also carrier independent (AT&T, Verizon, Cingular, Sprint). I am using a Sony Ericcson T610 triband on the T-Mobile network (GSM). I've read a bit that some specific phones aren't as compatible as others, thus this would be up to you to verify. You can to a search to read which ones seem to be most compatible.

The developer who I worked with is planning on making these available via a key dealership. The price for the complete system is targeted at $699, which includes Bluetooth antenna (OEM), ULF control module (OEM), microphone (OEM), cables, adapters, instructions, photos, testing, and system programing/setup. The only other item you would need is a mounting bracket which is available from a dealer (OEM).

The key question before the designer goes to production, is what is the level of interest by you guys? Please post questions and interest level.

p.s. system should be available for 3 series and X-5s soon too.

Jeff
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2003, 12:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
In what month was yours built?
What kind of connections did it have for the module?
What does the adapter look like? Pics?
Old 11-11-2003, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig29
In what month was yours built?
What kind of connections did it have for the module?
What does the adapter look like? Pics?
My car was built in August 2001.
The connections plug onto the modules
The adapter is a wiring harness. Photos in the future.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster540i
My car was built in August 2001.
The connections plug onto the modules
The adapter is a wiring harness. Photos in the future.
I am interested, but get BMW parts at wholesale. Do you plan to sell only the parts and instructions you have created? Is your pricepoint including the OEM parts competitive with dealers like Pacific or do you plan to charge full retail?

Since I have done NO research into this take my comments about price with a grain of salt:

It seems like a lot of money- $700 + whatever $ for the BT phone= ~$900 just to have a phone in your car.

Just some first blush feedback. I am willing to learn more and adjust my opinions.

Along those lines- how do you know if your 5 series is prewired for the phone? I thought they all were?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
I am interested, but get BMW parts at wholesale. Do you plan to sell only the parts and instructions you have created? Is your pricepoint including the OEM parts competitive with dealers like Pacific or do you plan to charge full retail?

Since I have done NO research into this take my comments about price with a grain of salt:

It seems like a lot of money- $700 + whatever $ for the BT phone= ~$900 just to have a phone in your car.

Just some first blush feedback. I am willing to learn more and adjust my opinions.

Along those lines- how do you know if your 5 series is prewired for the phone? I thought they all were?
On pricing. Inorder to fully test and make the upgrades to the stock components, it will likely be sold as a total kit. For reference, just the Bluetooth ULF control module sells for $435 for the dealers. There are many more parts required per my above info. As to the total price, it is essentially $100 more than the price of the kit for 2003 and newer (its $599).

There is an alternative, which is to buy the European retro-fit kit. You need to either get it from an importer or order from a European dealer. It requires you to totally replace your current phone wiring harness in your car to make it "2003 compatible". They say it takes a dealer 7 hours to install. The price is between $1300 and $1500 for the complete kit. I can email anyone a dealer in New Zealand who can get it for you. p.s. they won't guarentee that it will work.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
On pricing. Inorder to fully test and make the upgrades to the stock components, it will likely be sold as a total kit. For reference, just the Bluetooth ULF control module sells for $435 for the dealers. There are many more parts required per my above info. As to the total price, it is essentially $100 more than the price of the kit for 2003 and newer (its $599).
Well, $100 more doesn't seem bad at all. I would be interested in the kit for $699. Thanks for you work!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 11 335i conv
Definitely interested!

Give a shout when the kits are available.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8
I am interested in the bluetooth phone for the new 545. The dealer cannot tell me anything and my old cpt8000 from my 2001 530 is not compatible. I am hearing 1 year from BMW and I cannot wait this long. I have the E60 now.

Any info will be helpful
Old 11-14-2003, 07:49 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbton
I am interested in the bluetooth phone for the new 545. The dealer cannot tell me anything and my old cpt8000 from my 2001 530 is not compatible. I am hearing 1 year from BMW and I cannot wait this long. I have the E60 now.

Any info will be helpful
My dealer's tech were trained to work with BlueTooth on E60s quite some time ago... Although it seems that for now BMW is offering Motorola V50 phones in their models (X3 and X5 for sure, I'd think for 5 series too). Ask you dealer about V50.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8
V50 or V60. My dealer has offerred me a V60 (CPT9000) for over $800. It is not bluetooth but direct connect,which I don't mind. My problem is when my lease is up in 3 years and I get a new one, I am sure this option will be obsolete and I will then need to upgrad to bluetooth for quite a few more pennies. This is what happened with my E39 530. I have an obsolete Motorola timeport (CPT 8000) that is not compatible with anything. That piece of crap cost me $1200 but the hands free is important as I travel 25k miles a year on business. The only reason I am getting the $800 "bargain" is because I have made quite a stink over it with the dealer because it was promised to be available when I ordered the car.

On a separate point, the same promise was made about Sirius.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Bluetooth will not be supported/available for E60's until 12/2004. The current "solution" is BMW Assist with the Moto V60 cradle. This will allow you to use any V60 phone you choose with the system, but it must rest in a cradle (not wireless). BTW, the Moto V50 is GSM and not currently offered by any of the US GSM serive providers.

Hope this helps...JL
Old 11-22-2003, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3
Blurtooth retrofit

Quote:
There is an alternative, which is to buy the European retro-fit kit. You need to either get it from an importer or order from a European dealer. It requires you to totally replace your current phone wiring harness in your car to make it "2003 compatible". They say it takes a dealer 7 hours to install. The price is between $1300 and $1500 for the complete kit. I can email anyone a dealer in New Zealand who can get it for you. p.s. they won't guarentee that it will work.

I have a quote from my local dealer in Berlin that at least for my car (12/2001 production, US spec.), it would cost 758 Euro for the part (84 64 0 302 172) and another 350 or so for the install.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 540I ...2001
Wink Interested

I would defintely be interested in having that information when available. I was looking for awhile for a system like that for my 540ia 2001.
Quote:
Well, after much research, work, and fun, I now have my Bluetooth phone system operating in my 2001 540i. The system integrates 100% with the MID unit, giving full use of steering wheel controls, display on both MID and instrument cluster, phonebook transfer from phone (via bluetooth), full voice recognition, mute of radio on incoming and outgoing calls. System is VERY easy to install and does NOT require installation of a cradle (keep phone in your shirt pocket and just get in the car). Thus there are no cables, brackets, goose necks, cigarette lighter connections, etc... cluttering up the console. Complete system can be installed (plug and play), in approximately 1 hour (with no cutting, soldering, or splicing of wires meaning you don't have to have the dealer do the install). Recoding of the MID by your local dealer (15-20 minutes) IS required (instructions for the dealer is included).

The system SHOULD be compatible with earlier model cars which are pre-wired for CPT phone systems (back to '97, also MAY be able to retro back to 5000VR wired vehicles). System is phone network independent, meaning as long as you have a bluetooth phone for your network (TDMA, CDMA, GSM), then you should be all set. Also carrier independent (AT&T, Verizon, Cingular, Sprint). I am using a Sony Ericcson T610 triband on the T-Mobile network (GSM). I've read a bit that some specific phones aren't as compatible as others, thus this would be up to you to verify. You can to a search to read which ones seem to be most compatible.

The developer who I worked with is planning on making these available via a key dealership. The price for the complete system is targeted at $699, which includes Bluetooth antenna (OEM), ULF control module (OEM), microphone (OEM), cables, adapters, instructions, photos, testing, and system programing/setup. The only other item you would need is a mounting bracket which is available from a dealer (OEM).

The key question before the designer goes to production, is what is the level of interest by you guys? Please post questions and interest level.

p.s. system should be available for 3 series and X-5s soon too.

Jeff
Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRoz
I would defintely be interested in having that information when available. I was looking for awhile for a system like that for my 540ia 2001.
THis is a pretty old post, but there are several bt retrofit kits for an 01, including the one that was made by www.bmwnav.com which is what i have in my 00 M5. I think even bmw makes a kit for 01's now...
Mike
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Quote:
Well, after much research, work, and fun, I now have my Bluetooth phone system operating in my 2001 540i.

Jeff
Will it work on a 2000 540?

Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtorbn
Will it work on a 2000 540?

Look 2 posts up, the bmwnav.com kit will work, i have it in my 00 m5. not sure about the one from the original post 2 yrs ago.
Mike
Old 02-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Oscar

Mein Auto: 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottati
THis is a pretty old post, but there are several bt retrofit kits for an 01, including the one that was made by www.bmwnav.com which is what i have in my 00 M5. I think even bmw makes a kit for 01's now...
Mike
From what I have been told they do make a retrofit kit for 01's

I am not sure what this is but, serveral BMW Dealerships have quoted me $250.00 (kit only) for Bluetooth retrofit kit for 01 E39. Part # 84110390318

I am not sure as to what the kit has or if it works but it is consistant answer from serveral dealers. I have been told it was just released a few months ago.

01 540i Sport
06 330i Sport
01 530i Sport
01 540i Sport 6spd

Old 02-06-2005, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 99 540i, 04 C4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscswa
From what I have been told they do make a retrofit kit for 01's

I am not sure what this is but, serveral BMW Dealerships have quoted me $250.00 (kit only) for Bluetooth retrofit kit for 01 E39. Part # 84110390318

I am not sure as to what the kit has or if it works but it is consistant answer from serveral dealers. I have been told it was just released a few months ago.
I would be very interested if this works in my '99 540i to replace the CMT5000VR.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 AM

the factory kit will not as there are differences in the wiring connections. THe bmwnav.com kit should.
Mike