Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 528i,ml430,c1500p.u.
skibum1,sent photos to a few.if you're not one of those ,please give your e-mail address & i will forward. if you received,disregard.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35I
Hitch

Went to my local BMW dealer where I picked up the car 2 weeks ago and they now have hitch's available for the 2011. They all just started pouring in. Having mine installed next week. Thank God. Was about ready to put a for sale sign on my car or trade it in for a Land Rover that comes with a hitch. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E350, 2011 X5d
Anyone gotten a 2011 hitch?

I emailed Tischer and they said they don't yet have the 2011 hitch.

Has anyone been able to buy one of these? If so, can you post a picture?

Neil
Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1 View Post
Went to my local BMW dealer where I picked up the car 2 weeks ago and they now have hitch's available for the 2011. They all just started pouring in. Having mine installed next week. Thank God. Was about ready to put a for sale sign on my car or trade it in for a Land Rover that comes with a hitch. Thanks.
Are you sure, I will be picking my X5 up Friday and just got off the phone with my dealer ten minutes ago? They say there is no available hitches in USA inventory. So if you are correct then they are screwing with me again which is not too unbelievable.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: E93
We actually did have our hitch installed before we got the vehicle back on May 25th after threatening to cancel our order. They put it in even though the trim piece was not available. I don't know if they used a 2010 hitch or a 2011 one - really did not care at the time. I do know that they had one shipped in overnight from somewhere after they told us they could not locate one anywhere. Since they supposedly got it from Ohio I wonder if it was from ECS Tuning which said in this forum posting they had them in stock. We told them that we could get one if they could not find one. Guess they did not want to be shown up.

We were just told yesterday that the trim piece is available so we can take it in at any time for them to finish it up. Don't really have time to take or post pics but I will say that it did not look bad even with the silver trim piece removed, the bottom of the bumper cut and no finish trim piece on. The hitch is at the bottom of the bumper and it took a lot less trimming than on our X3. It should look fine when they finish the final trim touches.

We used the hitch several times pulling a utility trailer back and forth to our vacation home which is about 6 hours away. The X5 35d pulls great as we could not even tell that the trailer was back there. It definitely pulls better than our 2007 X3 which we got the X5 to replace.

Hope everyone that wants one gets one. It is just a shame that it is such a hassle for many of us to get the final product we want.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM

2011 X5 Hitch

I just picked up my 2011 X5 at the dealer and the new hitch looks fantastic! Nothing out of the ordinary though. Took them a couple of hours to install. There is a piece of moulding that they did NOT have available and said it was coming in from Germany beginning of July. When I heard this over the phone I thought "my God what have you done!" I gotta be honest, even without the moulding the bumper/hitch does not look bad. They cut a small opening and said they will re-cut if necessary once the moulding comes in. My service mgr said with the moulding its going to look very nice. Do I have an actual 2010 or 2011 hitch? Honestly, if you saw it you'd think it came from the factory for a 2011. I really have no idea. I'll try to get a picture up here. Nothing earth shattering.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Have an X5 on hold right now in Nashville. Dealer says the hitch is not available and does not know when it will be. This is a HUGE determining factor in me taking the X5. If there are pictures of installs on 2011 X5's that would be great. Why does BMW not have information on this????
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM

i cannot format my 2010 hitch on 2011 x photos on this site but if you e-mail happybaum@aol.com i can email them. i pulled my airstream last weekend w/ my x5d and was very impressed with power and stability.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3,E53 4.4i,E60 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ryan View Post
Have an X5 on hold right now in Nashville. Dealer says the hitch is not available and does not know when it will be. This is a HUGE determining factor in me taking the X5. If there are pictures of installs on 2011 X5's that would be great. Why does BMW not have information on this????
I think this is boiling down to how much research the dealer is willing to do. I suspect (but have not confirmed) that the 2011 hitch is exactly the same as the 2011 hitch with the exception of the trim piece which is in short supply. Several dealers seem to be installing the 2010 hitch when in a bind and having the owner come back later when the 2011 trim piece comes in. You should ask your dealer if they'd be willing to do the same.

There are BMW bulletins on this - just ask them to look them up.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:51 AM

my only issue w/ 2010 hitch on 2011 x is the flap on the 7 pin connector. i had to grind off the finger lift-tab on it and shorten the tab that keeps the plug from disconnecting when in use to get the plug in the receptacle. i did not want to cut into the black part of the pan except at the receiver. i asked the installer to lower the bracket that holds the elec. connector but would require cutting & welding so we elected to wait until the new trim is available. i believe the elec. connector & receiver will be lowered 1" +/- to avoid cutting into black part of fascia. i don't see how trim alone will cure this. i'm satisfied 'as is' but BMW could make it easier.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM

hitch

i had the hitch installed 2 weeks ago on my 2011 x5. looks nice but i need the trim piece as well. they cut a small hold on the bumper, doesnt look bad it just needs finishing with the trim. overall im happy with it. car still hauls ass with a bike rack on back. worried my bikes are gonna fall off....
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5d, 03 M3, 09 335i
So has BMW figured out the software issue as well? My dealer is telling me that the hitches/software fix won't be available until September. Do they need to dig a little deeper?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM

What a f*** up.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Tell me about it...I bought the X5 for the sole purpose of towing my track car. I've got O'Fest in about 40 days, and an X5 that won't be able to tow for 60. Unbelievable.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-TEAM View Post
So has BMW figured out the software issue as well? My dealer is telling me that the hitches/software fix won't be available until September. Do they need to dig a little deeper?
What software is required? Do you have to "register" the hitch like you have to register a new battery? I did not see any trailer tow package on the option list.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drharley View Post
What software is required? Do you have to "register" the hitch like you have to register a new battery? I did not see any trailer tow package on the option list.
The tow package is a dealer installed option and does include some computer reprogramming.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
X5 2009 Hitch

Does anyone have a hitch installed on a 2009 X5 35d? If so, are there any problems with the installation, software or towing capability?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkjunkie View Post
The tow package is a dealer installed option and does include some computer reprogramming.
I don't mean to belabor the point, but what reprogramming could there be? I can understand the battery business and reprogramming requirement. But if the computer is reprogrammed to put out more power or brake differently, it would seem to me to perform that way all the time. So in order for it to maintain efficiency, the hitch and software would be useful only to those who tow heavy rigs all the time and not just a dozen times a year. The obvious question then would be: If you want to tow something once in a while, would it harm anything to install a hitch (ie BAVAuto's hitch) sans software?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM

in may i had a 2010 hitch installed on my 2011 x5 & was told the vehicle was reprogrammed & ready to tow. a few weeks later i was preparing for my first camping trip pulling an airstream & had only tail & turn signals (no power from 7-pin connector to power a brake controller or brake lights.) three more days at my dealer & a district manager shows up , hooks his briefcase to my vehicle & presto, all circuits functioning as they should. after a total of six days in the shop to get the vehicle tow ready, i elected to forgo the dealer installing the brake control module & chose instead the 'I_STOP' r.f. controller that installs on the trailer with a removable hand control plugged temporarily into the console. great results!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-TEAM View Post
Tell me about it...I bought the X5 for the sole purpose of towing my track car. I've got O'Fest in about 40 days, and an X5 that won't be able to tow for 60. Unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-baum View Post
in may i had a 2010 hitch installed on my 2011 x5 & was told the vehicle was reprogrammed & ready to tow. a few weeks later i was preparing for my first camping trip pulling an airstream & had only tail & turn signals (no power from 7-pin connector to power a brake controller or brake lights.) three more days at my dealer & a district manager shows up , hooks his briefcase to my vehicle & presto, all circuits functioning as they should. after a total of six days in the shop to get the vehicle tow ready, i elected to forgo the dealer installing the brake control module & chose instead the 'I_STOP' r.f. controller that installs on the trailer with a removable hand control plugged temporarily into the console. great results!

Ateam- h-baum's experience seems to counter what you are being told... or maybe he just had a district manager willing to 'pick up the hood' and you are now stuck with BMWNA routing an "official software change procedure" through the whole formal process....
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM

H-Baum, do you have the name of the district manager that hooked up his brief case? I'm trying to get my local BMW master tech in touch with the right people.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5
2011 X5 hitch

this is a serious disappointment that they advertise towing but u can only do it by junking up the rear. I saw one that the dealer did and it was UGLY. BMW needs to come thru with a solution ASAP. My X3 has a cut out for easy installation--why not the more capable X5? Has anyone complained to BMWUSA?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan, 2011 X3 35
I would like to get an opinion - we have a 2011 X5 and would like a hitch for our hitch mounted bike carrier. As our dealer says there is no hitch available, we are considering buying the BMW bike rack that bolts into the bumper. We're not sure which way to go on this one. In terms of cost, both are very close in price.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Buy the hitch- more value, easier to R&R the rack....they'll figure out the programming soon.

Seems that some have gotten the 2010 hitch installed and they just left off the trim piece- they'll go back and do that when BMW releases it. One guy got his programming done, others are being told to wait for the 'officially blessed' release
Old 07-16-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdvl View Post
I would like to get an opinion - we have a 2011 X5 and would like a hitch for our hitch mounted bike carrier. As our dealer says there is no hitch available, we are considering buying the BMW bike rack that bolts into the bumper. We're not sure which way to go on this one. In terms of cost, both are very close in price.
Talk with the dealer and explain that you don't need the electrical work done at this point but just the hitch install. There is no issue with the physical hitch although there may be still issues getting a trim piece (it looks pretty decent without it and can be installed later).