Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Fortunately during my incident yesterday it was during the day, I was in a populated area, although it was raining lighly the weather was not bad and I was not in a dangerous neighborhood.

I had a few alternatives.

1. Use the Conti Comfort Kit (didn't solve the probelm)

2. Call AAA who would have towed me to a nearby station, but then I would have to figure out how to get home from Yonkers. I am sure I could have taken public transportation but what if this had occured in Rural Vermont (where I spend a fair amount of time).

3. Call BMW assist who will tow you to the nearest BMW Center. Once again, what if this happened in Rural Vermont or even worse what if it happened in Rural Vermont in the middle of a Winter night. I have had flat tires in that situation and although it was not fun I was able to mount the spare and move on.

One more item: What if I could fit a donut spare in the trunk? What do I do with the full size tire I took off the car. Leave it by the side of the road attached to the $400 rim?

CA
Drive your car with the top up. There is plenty of room in the trunk with the top up to put the wheel & tire.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Quote:
Obviously RFTs would have put me in a completely different situation yesterday. In principal RFTs are a great idea. In reality they have a lot of issuesl

CA
you could get the tischer spare??

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Technically you are correct. I was referring to behind the driver's seat and in the foot well of the back seat.

However, for the sake of argument, let's imagine a road trip in the E93 where you have two roll-aboard suitcases and two sets of golfclubs taking up that rear seat storage area. Now what?
See my post #26. With the top up, there is room in the trunk for a full-size wheel & tire. It will be tight, but it will fit.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 PM
1 Converted Addict

Quote:
Technically you are correct. I was referring to behind the driver's seat and in the foot well of the back seat.

However, for the sake of argument, let's imagine a road trip in the E93 where you have two roll-aboard suitcases and two sets of golfclubs taking up that rear seat storage area. Now what?
get non rft's, tischer spare and be lucky you have a better chance of replacing a non-rft tire in a rural area.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
See my post #26. With the top up, there is room in the trunk for a full-size wheel & tire. It will be tight, but it will fit.
Which would totally defeat the purpose of taking the 'vert for a fun road trip. If I wanted to run in a closed German Road car -- we have one of those too. It has a full size spare... it's just not as much fun as the E93.

Catch 22, eh?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Which would totally defeat the purpose of taking the 'vert for a fun road trip. If I wanted to run in a closed German Road car -- we have one of those too. It has a full size spare... it's just not as much fun as the E93.

Catch 22, eh?
Well, you could go top up to the hotel you are taking your luggage for. Then once at the hotel, with luggage unloaded and spare in the rear passenger area, it is top optional....
Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
get non rft's, tischer spare and be lucky you have a better chance of replacing a non-rft tire in a rural area.
For me right now this is a rhetorical argument. I have relatively good roads to drive on and no complaints with city driving for the RFT's. But, as you can see, the discussion has happened in our household regarding the pitfalls of the RFT's. I've had to change tires before. In fact, my dad made tire changing a prerequisite for going to the dmv to get my driver's lisence.

I am still undecided if I will move to GFT's when the RFT's need replacing.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Well, you could go top up to the hotel you are taking your luggage for. Then once at the hotel, with luggage unloaded and spare in the rear passenger area, it is top optional....
Next time I get in this "discussion" with BF can I have him just talk to you instead of arguing with me?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
CA, I'm sure you're a pretty nice guy, but it sounds to me like your blaming everyone but yourself for your decision to buy a car that doesn't suit you.

BMW is doing anything less than they've always done and, in fact, their cars only get better and better. BMW has been using the same types of wheels and tires for at least a decade. You had the opportunity to test drive the car and decide whether to buy it. If the streets are so bad in NYC you knew that going it.

It was entirely your personal choice to replace the RFTs and go with inadequate flat tire protection. You could have made the wise decision to buy an actual spare tire and jack set that many who have ditched their RFTs. CA, I think you have to bear the responsibility in which you found yourself. And it sounds an awful lot like you're trying to blame BMW because the indy shop you chose to let order a tire for you has fallen down on the job.

And I agree with ///M-ratedE90 that you need to give back your award.

If what you wanted was an automobile to get you from point A to point B, you should have bought a Toyota Solara.

Don't go buy a Corvette next. You'll have the same problems - RFTs and a car design without accommodation for a spare tire. I think you'll find the same with most Porsches.
I suppose by now I should realize the the apparently obligatory "buy a Lexus/Toyota" post is inevitable.

AFAIK the E9x is the first generation of the 3 Series that does not have accomodation for a spare tire.

I did not say that I buy cars strictly to ger from point A to point B. What I did say is that if a car can not reliably function to get from point A to point B it is flawed at a very basic level.

The reason I went to an indy shop to order the tire (which I am not really comfortable with and may turn out to be a bad decision) was because BMW told me that they could not order one. I would have much rather taken the car to BMW.

By ditching the RFTs I have exactly the same inadequate flat tire protection that I would have if I had purchased an M3, the Holy Grail of BMW ownership.

As I just posted, if I had a donut spare and a jack what the hell am I supposed to do with the full size tire and (expensive) rim I take off the car? Abandon them by the side of the road?

I did test drive the car before I purchased it. I test drove it in New Jersey and the suspension did not seem overly harsh. I purchased the car in Palm Beach and drove it for 2,000 miles in South Florida and did not have an issue with the suspension or the RFTs. Frankly I was surprised at what I experienced when I got the car to NYC.

ca

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-19-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Next time I get in this "discussion" with BF can I have him just talk to you instead of arguing with me?
It sounds like long trips are made in the Benz. If BF wants to have the option to go al fresco on a trip, what is his solution? Abstinence? But that kind of defeats the reason for the E93, doesn't it?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I did not believe that to be the case.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ane934fun View Post
it sounds like long trips are made in the benz. If bf wants to have the option to go al fresco on a trip, what is his solution? Abstinence? But that kind of defeats the reason for the e93, doesn't it?
bingo!

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I'm confused... this whole rant seems to be about someone who CHANGED the way something works from the way it was DESIGNED to, and then whines about it like a kid that it doesn't work anymore... You would've been fine yesterday if you didn't (make the decision to) get rid of the RFT. The car was designed to work with them, of course they wouldn't still put a spare on it. You made the bed. It's like clipping the wings of a bird because you didn't like the way they look, then throw it down a cliff and observe it didn't fly, and then complain to god that he has a design problem that didn't allow modifications.

Putting aside the fact your claim that Pontiac failed because you didn't buy their car anymore is nothing less than a hyperbole, BMW is in a much better position than pontiac ever was, I doubt they'd feel anything from this episode.

PS. the foot wear that doesn't do A to B so well but looks good is called high heels, and on average, woman owns more of those than they do sneakers, look it up

PPS. As for the replaced rim after you put on a donut, why can't you just put it where the spare USED to be before you put it on just until you can unload it somewhere? surely you can rearrange something to make up for the extra space, besides, it's an emergency, a few hours with the roof up and a rim in the backseat wouldn't hurt the tan too much

Last edited by Cultr; 05-19-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I did not believe that to be the case.
You have to push the safety cover back, but with the cover back (and top up obviously), the front wheel and tire will fit in the trunk. At least it did with my 2008 335i E93.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
I live in NYC. When I want the opinion of a Taxi Driver I can stand right in front of my building and hail one.

But seriously XR (or whoever the hell you are this week) if I lived where you do it would probably be less of an issue but face it you are in the same boat I am. Sport suspension, low profile tires and no spare. If you blow out a tire you are as screwed as I was yesterday.

CA
Yes, but my opinion will be mostly in English.

I have a spare front and rear tire in my garage from the OEM set if needs must with a few miles left on the tread...long enough for TireRack to deliver. I kept them specifically for this contingency. I also have my track wheels now as a standby too.

Where you have a real advantage is if I lose a tire, I lose customers...you can tend to the garden in your planter/vert to keep you busy until the tow truck arrives?

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultr View Post

PS. the foot wear that doesn't do A to B so well but looks good is called high heels, and on average, woman owns more of those than they do sneakers, look it up
OMG
CA -- Should we refer this newbie to the thread where you and I debated driving footwear?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...315&highlight=

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 05-19-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'm confused... this whole rant seems to be about someone who CHANGED the way something works from the way it was DESIGNED to, and then whines about it like a kid that it doesn't work anymore... You would've been fine yesterday if you didn't (make the decision to) get rid of the RFT. The car was designed to work with them, of course they wouldn't still put a spare on it. You made the bed.

Putting aside the fact your claim that Pontiac failed because you didn't buy their car anymore is nothing less than a hyperbole, BMW is in a much better position than pontiac ever was, I doubt they'd feel anything from this episode.

PPS. As for the replaced rim after you put on a donut, why can't you just put it where the spare USED to be before you put it on just until you can unload it somewhere? surely you can rearrange something to make up for the extra space, besides, it's an emergency, a few hours with the roof up and a rim in the backseat wouldn't hurt the tan too much
This is your 11th post here. If you stick around long enough (and if we are lucky you won't) you will realize that we (for the most part) treat each other with courtesy. I don't need a Noob, who has added nothing of significance to this forum to come here and tell me I am "whining like a kid". If you don't agree with me your opinion is welcome but there is no need to insult me.

I chose to get rid of the RFTs and by doing so I have the same lack of flat tire protection that I would have if I purchased an M3. So if I was driving an M3 yesterday I would have been in exactly the same situation.

Pontiac was part of General Motors which at its peak was in a much more powerful position than BMW ever was, At its peak GM had a larger market share than all other manufacturers, foreign and domestic, combined, was the largest corporation in the world and one of the largest financial entities on the planet, surpassed only by a handful of countries while posting a profit of 25%
CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-20-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post

I have a spare front and rear tire in my garage from the OEM set if needs must with a few miles left on the tread...long enough for TireRack to deliver. I kept them specifically for this contingency. I also have my track wheels now as a standby too.
That a good idea but won't really be of help if you are not close to home when you get a flat.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
That a good idea but won't really be of help if you are not close to home when you get a flat.

CA
In that case, I would discard the car and buy a new one. To be honest, I was surprised that you didn't do this anyway?
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
In that case, I would discard the car and buy a new one. To be honest, I was surprised that you didn't do this anyway?
It was a serious consideration.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
1 Converted Addict

Quote:
I'm confused... this whole rant seems to be about someone who CHANGED the way something works from the way it was DESIGNED to, and then whines about it like a kid that it doesn't work anymore... You would've been fine yesterday if you didn't (make the decision to) get rid of the RFT. The car was designed to work with them, of course they wouldn't still put a spare on it. You made the bed. It's like clipping the wings of a bird because you didn't like the way they look, then throw it down a cliff and observe it didn't fly, and then complain to god that he has a design problem that didn't allow modifications.

=
the car works fine with gft's as well!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
i have had two flats with my non-rft's and never had an issue getting the tischer spare mounted.
I think he meant getting the tire mounted to the wheel at the tire shop.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

As I just posted, if I had a donut spare and a jack what the hell am I supposed to do with the full size tire and (expensive) rim I take off the car? Abandon them by the side of the road?

ca
CA, as we say down here in the south - that dog won't hunt. Unless you were traveling with three or four passengers and the truck was completely full (which it wouldn't have been if you'd had a donut spare in there) the trunk would hold the wheel and flat tire and you could even have put it in the back seat.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I think he meant getting the tire mounted to the wheel at the tire shop.
I wasn't clear on that either. I thought he meant that they would not mount the donut on the car.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
CA, as we say down here in the south - that dog won't hunt. Unless you were traveling with three or four passengers and the truck was completely full (which it wouldn't have been if you'd had a donut spare in there) the trunk would hold the wheel and flat tire and you could even have put it in the back seat.
That would have worked yesterday but a lot of times when we are traveling the trunk is packed with luggage (with the top up) and we are also using the back seat for storage.

What irks me the most is that these cars (and it is not just BMW) are so prone to damaging tires and wheels when they are driven on public roads. It is not like I am driving on logging roads.

I am not sure I understand your Southern expression. Something about a dog not hunting unless I am traveling with 3 or 4 passegers .

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project