Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYal View Post
I feel your pain, Cap! It has been 2 years for me - just got my pen - and I am down 2 rimms and 2 tires... AND I DRIVE 90% ON I-10...
2" pothole at 80-90 mph does not forgive... when it is not some other junk... it really comes down to that BMW are built for countries who have autobahns, not farm roads...
I am going back to a silverado, or a denali in 10 months...
One would think that BMW would figure out that maybe they should try to come up with a design that works for their largest market.

Just Sayin'

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
This is what this thread reminds me of...

Also available in Alpine White...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Captain - I am sorry to hear your plight. I recommend you send this letter you wrote, the exact letter as you wrote a good one, and send it off to as many people in BMW NA and Germany as possible...start with the CEO, COO, CFO, CMO, Regional managers, etc...then forward this letter to as many car mags/websites as you can think of. It's a lot of work, but if enough people get the news it might get published and it might make headway.

Companies won't change unless 1) enough of their customers complain and stop buying the product (though it won't happen due to apathy), or 2) enough customers make noise to the world to the point it makes news.

Anyhow - There are plenty of fine cars and I hope you find one yuo will enjoy

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
One would think that BMW would figure out that maybe they should try to come up with a design that works for their largest market.

Just Sayin'

CA
Plenty of choices - a non-sport package X5 comes to mind.

Seriously, if you buy a SP equipped BMW with RFTs mounted on 18" light weight rims and expect to drive in pretty much any city in the US, you may as well get a dedicated VISA card to pay for all the repairs. Just leave the card at the shop.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think he meant getting the tire mounted to the wheel at the tire shop.
Yes...this is what I meant. The Tischer donut comes with the tire and rim separate.

Retired:
2008 335xi
2006 330xi
2002 330xi
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
OMG
CA -- Should we refer this newbie to the thread where you and I debated driving footwear?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...315&highlight=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultr View Post
I'm confused...
Yes, you need to be able to at least have an avatar before you can rag on someone, especially someone who has about 600 times as many posts as you do

Quote:
I have a solution. I just hired this guy to follow me around.

CA
You need to hire undocumented day laborers. Much cheaper and they appreciate the work!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
space gray to me will
be the color that defines
Captain Audio

e93 blues
how the mighty have fallen
Adios CA

gl with your future wheels.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
I believe Maserati may but I can't find any documentation,
The Maserati Gran Turismo is my current dream car. I drove one this past weekend--and unfortunatley it has large wheels and no space for a spare-- just fix a flat stuff.

When you say you cheaped out by buying a BMW, what was your next choice? I ask because most sporty cars in the 50K+ price range seem to have the same issue-- no room for a spare and large wheels. I agree--it's really stupid. The only exceptions would be Mercedes and Audi models--but they cost around the same as BMW so that can't be what you were referring to.

I'm wondering what my next car will be. Been thinking about an N55 powered 335i coupe but:
-I really don't want the xi or sport suspension
-The front looks like crap unless you get the Msport with its ridiculous 18 or 19" wheels.
I like the s4 and s5, but the s4 ends up costing much more whether you lease or buy and the s5 is such a gas guzzler.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi, 2011 M3 Coupe
I also live in NYC. Travel in and out of the city daily and put a ton of miles on the car. Although not the most magnificent tires in the world, RFT have suited me just fine. I punctured 3 tires (all of which were quickly replaced and covered by BMW via the tire/wheel insurance) and never had an issue. The fact that they are Run flats eliminates the need for a spare even in a rural situation. Unless you completely f*** the tire which is not so common an event that it would warrent me throwing a spare in the trunk. If you replace the RFT's with standard tires its your own problem.

01/22/2008 ED: 335 xi coupe, Black on Black, Gray Poplar Trim, iPod, iDrive, Cold W. Pack, Sport Pack
06/21/2010 ED: M3 Coupe, Jerez Black
Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:

Just Sayin'

CA
I think BMW should separate the sport package option into wheel/tire packages and seat/wheel/suspension packages. 18's with 35 profile sidewalls are just asking for trouble in an area where the roads are beat to death from too many cars and trucks, combined with negligence and bad weather. That said, this is hardly just a BMW issue. My neighbor across the street has a 6 mo. old E350 coupe and has already had tire problems. Yes, they're non RFT's, but that doesn't stop them from being damaged on bad roads. I also just pointed out a damaged sidewall to my neighbor who works for Perrilo BMW. He drives a 5 series with non sport and therefore non rft. Last week I took a drive from Chicago to Dayton, OH. My car was hit while parked last week, so I had a Nissan Altima loaner. Thank God. On the Indiana Toll Road I hit a pretty good pothole that likely would have taken out one or more of my new Conti DW's. The Nissan, with it's 60 series tires survived, but the jolt was pretty good. It's a jungle out there, I tells ya.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLDOG77 View Post
I also live in NYC. Travel in and out of the city daily and put a ton of miles on the car. Although not the most magnificent tires in the world, RFT have suited me just fine. I punctured 3 tires (all of which were quickly replaced and covered by BMW via the tire/wheel insurance) and never had an issue. The fact that they are Run flats eliminates the need for a spare even in a rural situation. Unless you completely f*** the tire which is not so common an event that it would warrent me throwing a spare in the trunk. If you replace the RFT's with standard tires its your own problem.
You drive a 335xi. No sports suspension and 17" Rims.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLDOG77 View Post
Unfortunately, I and many others find the RFT's to be really inferior in ride and performance.
If there wasn't such a performance penalty, I would have no problem with the RFT's. I just think BMW jumped the shark and introduced a technology that is not developed to where it should be. The Bridgestone RE050's that came on my car started off marginal and degraded to terrible in less than 10,000 miles. And I don't beat my car. A month back, I put on a set of 18" Conti DW summer tires. The transformation was incredible, with the feel of the car suddenly improving to a level that is way better than when the car was new.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:

At his point I have totally lost patience with this car and can not wait to get rid of it. I realize buying it was a severe lapse in judgment. I can't believe that the morons who designed the thing made no provision for a spare tire. I feel like I am caught between a rock and a hard place. The car was undrivable with the RFTs and without them I have a situation like the one I am in now. Between the assinine ultra low profile tires and the poorly sorted out suspension it is inevitable that this will happen again. I have destroyed 4 tires and 1 rim in less than 3 years (and I only use the car on weekends to get in and out of the city). This is the last straw, I can hardly wait to get rid of this POS and it will not be missed. At this point I hate the car, I hate the dealer and I hate BMW. Driving this car is just not an enjoyable experience. I am in constant fear of hitting a pot hole and experiencing what I experienced yesterday. So much for "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

I really don't understand the whole low profile tire thing. The only justification I hear is that "they look cool". This strikes me as the same logic as someone who is limping along because their shoes hurt their feet and when you ask them why they don't change their shoes they say "because they look good". Shoes are for walking and tires are for driving. If they do not perform those basic functions well it doesn't matter how good they look.

There is no excuse for a car eating tires and wheels when driven on public roads. This is simply bad engineering.

You get what you pay for. I chintzed out when I bought this car. I will not make the same mistake again and will never purchase another BMW product. This is the only new car I ever purchased that I regretted buying.

CA
I think you were asking for it dude. You made the status purchase and got the 335i convertible sport package with the 19" wheels in Manhattan. For all intents and purposes, you might as well have gotten a Lambo Gallardo Spyder. Who the **** do you think you are, Christian Bale in the Dark Night?

Why can't you get a 328i with 16" wheels like everyone else with more than a couple of bucks in Manhattan? Or if you don't ever park it yourself, a base S550.

The more modest vehicle with the thick sidewalls would easily traverse the Cross Bronx Expressway and all of the other garbage you have to deal with. It'd also be reliable in the powertrain department. And on the flip side, it could double as a car for your Saturday-only events at Lime Rock Park.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 AM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gEEkChris View Post
Yes...this is what I meant. The Tischer donut comes with the tire and rim separate.
i have had two different tire stores mount the donut for me. what was their reasoning for not mounting the tire? makes no sense to me

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
You can't bag a tire and push it behind the drivers seat in the 'vert -- will it fit? There is ample room in the trunk in sedans, but it is kind of awkward to have to do it.

Any special reason you are worried with RFTs, Kat? I have a plug and patch in the trunk, and even when deflated the tires are rated for 50 miles apparently. It would have to be a pretty impressive road hazard to take out the sidewall in absence of other major damage to the vehicle.
Long trips through the countryside mean that 50 miles more on a tire still gets you nowhere.

The problem with RFT's is not just the cost or ride/handling compromise, it's also the fact that if you wind up in a smallish town with an unusable RFT, you are stuck for days waiting for a tire to get shipped and paying through the nose for it. The same can probably be said for many sport tires I guess but I'm of the same mind - my next car will have at least a space-saver spare that I don't have to add on as an accessory.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Long trips through the countryside mean that 50 miles more on a tire still gets you nowhere.

The problem with RFT's is not just the cost or ride/handling compromise, it's also the fact that if you wind up in a smallish town with an unusable RFT, you are stuck for days waiting for a tire to get shipped and paying through the nose for it. The same can probably be said for many sport tires I guess but I'm of the same mind - my next car will have at least a space-saver spare that I don't have to add on as an accessory.
+1 and IMO you have a better chance getting a sport tire in that situation than a rft. this was a main consideration in my decision to switch to gft's besides the ride quality.

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I think you were asking for it dude. You made the status purchase and got the 335i convertible sport package with the 19" wheels in Manhattan. For all intents and purposes, you might as well have gotten a Lambo Gallardo Spyder. Who the **** do you think you are, Christian Bale in the Dark Night?

Why can't you get a 328i with 16" wheels like everyone else with more than a couple of bucks in Manhattan? Or if you don't ever park it yourself, a base S550.

The more modest vehicle with the thick sidewalls would easily traverse the Cross Bronx Expressway and all of the other garbage you have to deal with. It'd also be reliable in the powertrain department. And on the flip side, it could double as a car for your Saturday-only events at Lime Rock Park.
I have 18" wheels.

Well nobody can accuse you of making a status purchase.

Enjoy your VW pretend race car.

Does yours have the air cooled 4 cylinder engine?

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-20-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
I grew up in NYC and now live in San Francisco and understand your dilemma. East coast winters are horrible for the roads and certain parts of the city are a killer for any sports car with low-profile tires and stiff suspensions. I can say the same for San Francisco, no winters here to tear up the roads, just a state in financial trouble and can't afford to fix the roads. There are highways here that have huge craters that will deploy your airbags when hitting it. These cars were designed for German roads. I have been to Germany 3 times because I love the country, and the roads are so pristine and smooth. Road noise is a non-issue even with the hardest set of RFT's or low-profile sport tires. Luckily I haven't gotten into any situations with my RFT's when I owned the 335 for 3 years, but every time I hit a pot hole I needed to un-dislocate my jaw as it is so jarring and hard on the car. This is a main reason why I think our cars squeaks and creaks when new. The hard suspension and jarring ride loosens and flexes the car which introduces a lot of interior fit noise. Although I had no RFT issues, BMW did generously repurchase my car due to 4 HPFP replacements. I got to drive the car for 32k miles at negligible depreciation and the BMW customer service experience was prompt and very pleasant. I wanted to get another BMW, but at the price point a lot of their vehicles had the N54 engine which I didn't want to ever deal with again. I had no confidence in the car to take on long distances. Good luck with your decision, but what are you thinking of getting next?

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
CA, sorry to hear about yet another tire trouble of yours. I am glad all went well to get you home, but waiting 3 hours for a tow truck? Yikes!

In any case, I hope you stick around and am curious to see what cars you have set sight on for the future. I am surprised you still have the 'vert as much as you contemplate getting rid of it.

I am more and more happy to have gone with 17" wheels and will certainly stick with those. I might order the Tischer donut spare just to have it, even just in the garage. It seems like a sensible investment and the often cheaper price of the non-RFT tire may actually pay for the spare as compared to putting another set of RFTs on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 AM

One of the posters here was kind enough to suggest a Toyota Solara. Maybe I should check one out.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:
I have 18" wheels.

Well nobody can accuse you of making a status purchase.

Enjoy your VW pretend race car.

CA
Right but this is my commute. You need more of an urban assault vehicle. I heard Hummers cheap. Maybe you can buy a surplus Bradley armored fighting vehicle when Obama ends those wars. Oh wait...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00280-20100513-1615.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	230875  

Last edited by westwest888; 05-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Right but this is my commute. You need more of an urban assault vehicle. I heard Hummers cheap. Maybe you can buy a surplus Bradley armored fighting vehicle when Obama ends those wars. Oh wait...
That's your commute? I hate you...i really really hate you.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Right but this is my commute. ...
What a beautiful road. I wish I was there right now.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gEEkChris View Post
When I asked the guys at discount tire they said that they couldn't mount the donut that Tischer sells. How many places will I have to call to find someone who can?
Really? The Goodyear place near the end of my street did it in 20 minutes as a walk-in. Granted, the person walking in was my daughter, but still ...

George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion