Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: CLK55AMG
Warning light triad

I've read all available posts on this symptom , however mine is a little different. Checking if anyone else has had this same problem. First, car starts and runs fine, no clicking sound after I shut it off. Warning triad comes on after I drive a half mile or so or after I stop and take off at a light or stop sign. I really didn't want to remove transfer case motor and replace plastic gear if that isn't the real problem. Thanks for your direction.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 67 Mstng
Have you replaced xfer case fluid?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: CLK55AMG
No I have not, is that something I should do? There has been no leaks, and is that something that would cause this warning light situation ? Is there a way to check fluid or do you just change it. Thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 67 Mstng
What is your mileage? I suggest changing it as a matter of course.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
UPDATE: still hesitating after...

I changed transfer case oil with bmw oil. It didn't start running out even though I put 1 full liter in????? Test drove still lights and hesitating badly

Then unplugged actuator motor (large,connector, not small) then dove and all seemed fine for about 3 miles of stop and go, then started hesitating again, getting worse as I drove.

At this point I don't know what to do next. Change actuator motor gear, like I did before, which worked, but I didn't have any hesitation during that time, just three lights, or buy a new motor. Could it be a transmission problem? There are no strange noises when any of this is happening. HELP!!!

Thks
Old 06-24-2016, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Get a code reader like creator C110 or C310. You can get warnings if the car can't determine the wheel speed.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Get a code reader like creator C110 or C310. You can get warnings if the car can't determine the wheel speed.

I ordered one tonight. Will have it Sunday.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFRIENDLY View Post
...... changed transfer case oil with bmw oil. It didn't start running out even though I put 1 full liter in?????
The correct fill for the transfer case is 0.7L (0.9L if filling a dry replacement unit).

From what others have reported, it appears that either:
- we spill more new fluid than we think, or,
- the fill orifice is very sensitive to the vehicle being absolutely level, or,
- the fill orifice is not intended to be the usual fill until it starts to dribble out

But probably not critical anyway. If you left it to drain the remnants for quite a time it might have been close to needing the full 0.9L 'dry fill'.

Can't see the point of doing another actuator gear replacement if the last one was only a year or two back and you have already done it twice.
Especially with no clicking on shutdown.
You must have some other problem that is causing the driveline hesitation and the light trio to be triggered.
Doubt that it is the A/T. More likely shafts, joints/couplings, diffs.
The fact that the hesitation is a new symptom and takes a few miles of warming up to show should be a useful clue - but am not sure what.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 PM

Well lights first came on again after I replaced a bad tire with a diff brand used tired. Drove about 10 miles overall. The lights came on almost immediately the first time I drove with that tire. So I parked it for winter. Got new tires last week and installed. Hope lights would go out but NOT. The hesitations started with that off tire and has never gone away even with new tires. It pretty bad almost like drivetrain disconnects for a second or two. May do it ten times in 15 seconds. Sometimes stays disconnected like for 3-4 secs. Humm??? Not strange noises clanks etc. though.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Sounds more serious than just fluid.

The actuator motor isn't too bad, about $100, a rebuilt or used transfer box is about $1000

Add $2-3000 for labor at the BMWDealer or sneer at them and DIY
Old 06-25-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
The correct fill for the transfer case is 0.7L (0.9L if filling a dry replacement unit).

From what others have reported, it appears that either:

- we spill more new fluid than we think, or,

- the fill orifice is very sensitive to the vehicle being absolutely level, or,

- the fill orifice is not intended to be the usual fill until it starts to dribble out

But probably not critical anyway. If you left it to drain the remnants for quite a time it might have been close to needing the full 0.9L 'dry fill'.

Can't see the point of doing another actuator gear replacement if the last one was only a year or two back and you have already done it twice.

Especially with no clicking on shutdown.

You must have some other problem that is causing the driveline hesitation and the light trio to be triggered.

Doubt that it is the A/T. More likely shafts, joints/couplings, diffs.

The fact that the hesitation is a new symptom and takes a few miles of warming up to show should be a useful clue - but am not sure what.

Well what is putting the full litre in has overflowed it, though none is running out. Is that why it ran good for three miles then started again (a new problem) with same symptoms. ???
Old 06-25-2016, 07:05 AM

I started wondering since the car has been sitting all winter on a 1/4 tank of gas, maybe there's water in the gas. Put dry gas in, still does it to point of not thinking I can make it to gass station to fill up. And.. Is never missed while in park running up to 3k rpm for a few min.

So I got a generic code reader (my bmw one coming in tmr) and I got this code...p0174. Any ideas??
Old 06-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Clear it and see if it comes back.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Clear it and see if it comes back.
Yes. I was ususing garage scanner. I'll see if bmw gives same one then clear it to see what happens.

Btw. Dry gas didn't fix. Not a surprise since idle and reving in park showed no signs of gas problems. Just driving once lights come on, not before.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search