Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Unhappy 2008 X3 - Wiper fluid leaks into Car

Hello,

I am new member to the group & recently have bought a 2008 X3.
I have refilled the washer fluid (after the light was displayed). But on operating wiper; I am neither getting fluid on front glass or rear; instead the water is leaking into the car behind the back seat (just above the glass)...

I'm not sure what is the issue... is the pump issue?
Is it something which I can fix on my own...

Sorry its my 1st post; so I might sound naive...

Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 PM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
The problem is that there is a connection in the tubing that runs to the back window, as I recall either under or just behind the center console. A lot of times, the rear nozzle gets plugged and the pump pressure blows apart the connection.

If you are able to remove the center console, which isn't that difficult, you should be able to fix this.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
If you are not getting water to either washer the person who sold you the car has messed things up.

The pump for the front must be dead (and maybe leaking) while the pump for the rear (same part no. and they sit side by side) might be working but the connection to the jet at the back is undone.

Some disassembly of rear vinyl panels required to address that - not easy but has to be done. And get things dried out ASAP.

So you need to be getting at least one new washer pump with grommet.

Maybe undo the electrical connection for the rear pump until you have that properly fixed, and get the front operational first.

The break in the line where Tim references is the worst case and requires carpets to come up. You would have sopping rear footwells if that was the case.

Usually only happens when someone uses summer fluid and then drives in below freezing conditions and the fluid freezes in the pipe.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I would swap the front and rear pumps (at the water tank) and get the front one working first as it is more important.

Then disassemble the rear hatch and reconnect the hose. Test the system before you reassemble in case the nozzle is plugged and it just blows the connection off again.