Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04X3
2004 X3 Coolent Flush: HELP

PART 1) The flush:
I just flushed my radiator. I used BMW coolant and distilled water. There were two plastic drain plugs on the drivers side under the car. Took out a bunch of 8mm screws and the two tricky push pins. One of the blue plugs went to the radiator and the other was attached to a smaller hose. When I took out the big of the two I only got out about 1/2 gallon of coolant. When I bled the other smaller blue cap plastic screw another 1/2 gallon plus some came out. Not sure why there were two plastic bleeder screws.

PART 2: The issue. Electronic Water Pump Activation??
I'm assuming this has an electronic water pump. So I put the ignition on 2 put the blower on setting 1 and held the gas pedal down for 10 seconds. The water pump isnt turning on from watching videos it's supposed to pump fluid back into the top of the radiator. But I dont see this happening at all. I took the cap off to verify the trickle but nothing. What am I doing wrong? I have the battery terminals plugged into my trickle charger. I'm supposed to let this go for 12 minutes but I dont hear the pump kicking in. Any suggestions or ideas?
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
The instructions probably say battery CHARGER rather than "trickle charger." A trickle charger provides roughly the self-discharge current of a fully charged battery.

There are two typical sizes of BMW electric water pumps, a 200 Watt pump and a 400 Watt pump.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 67 Mstng
Try disconnecting upper radiator hose to allow air in.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
2004?

I think that's a mechanical pump. My 2006 is mechanical.

Idle the motor with hose water going in, and coolant flushing out the drain until it's all water
Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Not sure enough prep reading was done.

1. One of the blue drain plugs is for the expansion tank, the other for the radiator. Nothing to do with bleeding air out of the system.
Also, one of those drain plugs just unscrews but does not come completely out.
The bulk of the old coolant only comes out if you can locate and loosen the plug on the r.h.s. of the block. Tricky and potentially messy.
Workaround is to do a few drains and fills - but you have to keep careful track of your %mixture in order to end up at 50/50.

2. Definitely not an electric water pump on your 2004. Expelling air is simple. You use the small round capped bleeder on the upper hose.
Best to have the front-end raised and pour the replacement coolant into the expansion tank sloooowly to minimize air bubbles.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
good bavauto youtube on your engine coolant flush techniques

this is nice ....most likely your exact engine even though in an older x5 ....the M54 engine ..... it covers a couple or so water flushes/shows how to get the block drain plug out and the final bleed ....enjoy ....best wishes....plus remember if you don't put the heater on full the solenoids will not be signaled to open up for hot coolant passage flow to the heater core and you will trap loads of air

Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 04X3
I half assed it. I got the two plugs under the driver side front of car. I took out a bit over a gallon . I filled it until the bleeder screw over ran. I didnt get the drain plug from the block. So it's 1/2 Green stuff have 50/50 BMW / Distilled water mix. Car has 120K. Next time I will make sure I get the drain plug out of the block. I may still do it as it's bothering me a bit. The old coolent had previously been flushed as it was green. I put the BMW OEM in it. If someone sees this as an issue please let me know.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Quote:
Originally Posted by abscate View Post
2004?

I think that's a mechanical pump. My 2006 is mechanical.

Idle the motor with hose water going in, and coolant flushing out the drain until it's all water

No math needed, other than knowing the total capacity.

Once you have all clean water in, turn hose off, engine off, let drain.

Close all drains, add one half volume in BMW coolant..4 liters I think?

Now top,off with water and bleed air.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW X3
4 liters? I drained my coolant the other day and I maybe got 1 liter. Is there another drain plug aside from the one on bottom right of e83 engine X3. Seems there should be more coolant coming out, no?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:42 PM

Good tutorial for your coolant flush

follow this generic ....there's much more than one liter to drain ....best to pop the block drain plug out also....best wishes

Old 06-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Block drain screenshot/pic

don't forget new sealing/crush washers for the drain ....only a few cents each....link to block drain plug and washer below

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...tSB3gbFX77M%3A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Block drain.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	568379  

Last edited by swampX3; 06-24-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM

engine side view showing coolant block drain

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...ZDJs62MGPCM%3A
Old 06-24-2016, 04:15 PM

just like the oil change ...pop the radiator cap off

just like you pop the oil fill cap off to break any vacuum when you drain the oil its best to pop the radiator cap off when you drain the coolant.....break that system vacuum !....let it drain let it drain freely

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...wWdTnpKL-IM%3A
Old 06-24-2016, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannaluv View Post
4 liters? I drained my coolant the other day and I maybe got 1 liter. Is there another drain plug aside from the one on bottom right of e83 engine X3. Seems there should be more coolant coming out, no?

You probably only drained the expansion tank. Pop off the lower radiator hose and you'll get a bunch more.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search