Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 AM
Mein Auto: X3 E83
4x4 & Service Engine Lights on dash

Hello guys,

I have a 2006 X3 3.0i which recently had the 4x4 and service engine lights at about 68k miles. The car drives smooth but the lights have stayed ON ever since.

When first scanned, the following codes came up;
5EB0 Steering-angle sensor,internal
5F3A Transfer case: malfunction
5E50 Wheel-speed sensor, air gap, front right
5E4C Wheel-speed sensor, supply, front right

Step #1:
As per technician, I proceeded to replace the wheel-speed sensor (took care of codes 1,3,4) and Transfer case (hoping to fix code 2). Metal chippings were observed in the oil so the TC oil was completely drained and replaced with new.

Result#1: Steering angle sensor and wheel-speed sensor codes cleared after replacing the sensor. However the wheels would screech and not move freely with the new transfer case. The old TC was re-installed and the car drives smooth as before with 4x4 on.

Step #2: Sourced for another TC and installed
Result : Now I get the full traid of lights (4x4,ABS,Brake) which was not the case before, plus the clicking sound after the car is turned off.
From what i have read on other threads,that combination points to a faulty TC. which would mean the 2nd TC i installed is bad.

Again I plan to revert back to my original TC which was only showing 4x4 lights and NO clicking sound.

My question is if I revert back to the original TC, should I be looking at something else other than the TC.

As I am oversees outside America I know there is not always quality assurance on the replacement parts, hence the case with two TC that may appear faulty themselves.
so I may opt to import the parts directly myself but needed to be certain of which direction to look.

Hoping somebody have some idea for me here.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Mein Auto: 03 e46 325xi
Tranfer case Actuator
Old 11-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Mein Auto: X3 E83
So below was done just now first, before reverting back to my original transfer case (TC #1)

Step 3:mechanic replaced just the actuator alone.
Result: the 4x4 light stays ON but the other two clears, no gripping on the wheels, no clicking sound when turned off.
Run scan and returns with code 5F3A (same as at the beginning of troubleshooting)

Summary I have two set of transfer case (TC1 and TC3) behaving alike:
- drives smooth
- 4x4 light ON
- no clicking sound when engine turned off, - - scan reports fault code 5F3A - transfer case malfunction

Is this an issue with recalibration? Or perhaps something else other than actuator and/or transfer case?

See More Related BMW Stories

4x4 light, e83 x3, transfer case

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search