Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2006
Car dashboard turned off

Hello everyone,

I am driving a BMW X3 2006 and am having a trouble with the dashboard. I tried to start my car a few days back when the weather was really cold and failed. Since then, I have kept trying to start my car throughout the week with no luck (4 attempts in about 4 days). This morning, the car started up fine, but the dashboard never came on. I am unable to see how fast I am going, how much gas I have, the temperature of the engine, and when I use my left/right turn signal, it does not appear on the dashboard. The radio works fine, air conditioner/heater works fine, and all the lights come on for the center console. All external/internal lights come on.

How can I get the dashboard to turn on? When I place key into the ignition and give it a quarter turn, the ABS sign comes on the dashboard. When I turn the key and start the car, the ABS sign goes off and that's it.

Thanks for reading
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Might be worth doing the instrument cluster test/ gauge sweep to see if the lights other than ABS are still alive.

See:

With a bit of luck, that might reset your on-board computer and restore everything back to normal.

Or you could first just try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes to see if that clears the problem.

If neither is successful, you might have to figure out how to remove the cluster (2 torx screws maybe) and see if cleaning the connectors accomplishes anything.

A problem that has been reported by a few owners including myself is a briefly disappearing display (just for a second or two) while driving.
So those instrument clusters can be a bit temperamental.

Haven't heard of your particular symptoms before though.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Did you try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?