Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Matt,

What engine do you have in your X3?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenza View Post
Matt,

What engine do you have in your X3?
Hi,

I've got the 3.0 D SE on 2007 plate.

I'm doing all of the service work myself now and going well so far
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
wow ... love all the help and the articles found here. Thankyou to all
Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Dice install

Great write up on the Dice install. I just bought one for my 2007 x3. I plan to use it for Sat radio. Do you have any experience with the Sat radio install? I have to run the wire from the dice unit to the radio module and then I have to install the radio ant. I was going to put the sat module in the back with the Nav changer. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
X3 Intake Boot replacement procedure

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499471
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Aficionado

Starter motor replacement 04 X3- 3.0

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=543634
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
A good (nascent) DIY site

Just came across this:

http://k12techblog.com/bmw/2011/04/

Maybe the author is one of us (a Bimmerfest member)?

Good writeup on doing a rear diff fluid change.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Question New car priciing

Can you tell e roughly what a new 2011 X3 (loaded) sells for in Texas?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: e30, e83, e82(m)
Front Wishbone (Control arm?) Replacement with pics DIY

Hi everyone I've entered that point in my 2004 x3's life where things are starting to fail. Since I'm studying automotive mechanics I'm trying to do everything myself. Haha it's been a blast. Anyways here's my first DIY for replacing the front wishbone (according to realoem, if there is a more common name for this please let me know).

I am not an expert or a mechanic please follow these at your own risk. I'd love to know if I'm doing it right though so please, please leave me some feedback if there's anything I need to correct.

THANKS.

Here's a link to the PDF: Wishbone DIY
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing front lower control arm.pdf (539.7 KB, 491 views)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 2.0d MT
Thanks for sharing this Snowfro!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Aficionado

Yes! thanks and nice write up, much better than the T.I.S itself!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Yes, thanks to KrisL for doing so!

The drive dog it's a plastic bracket (part of the window regulator) where the driving wire snaps in to make the window go up and down. This is the most common reported failure and there's no need to replace the whole regulator assembly (which is expen$ive). Drive dogs are around $50.00 and it's apparently a fairly easy DIY.
There's a link on the first post.
I have had to replace both rear door dogs! Not hard to do...
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM

E83 Rear Shock Removal DIY Step 1 - Rear Panel Removal

I finally got around to replacing my rear shocks this weekend! I had been meaning to do it for a long time but was intimidated by how much stuff had to be moved out of the way just to get to the shock mounting point. So here is part 1 of the DIY which is a step by step guide to removing the interior panels that surround the shock mounts.

I'll post the actual shock removal/installation shortly, although that is pretty straight forward.

At 106k miles, my x3 is starting to need a little attention! There's not much info out there (and no service manual ) so I plan to do a write-up for each. Feel free to ask questions or let me know if there is an easier way to do things.

Here's a link and I've also attached it below.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing rear shocks part 1.pdf (1.76 MB, 1055 views)
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Replacing Rear Shocks Part 2: Shock Removal and Installation

Here's part two of the process of replacing the rear shocks. This one is not as thorough picture wise (I was in a hurry to put it back together!) but the parts not pictured should be relatively straight forward.

If anyone has the tightening torques for the various nuts and bolts of this DIY please let me know what they are so I can include them. I just winged it but I'd feel more comfortable doing it if I knew what to torque everything to.

As I've said before, I am not a mechanic nor an expert please follow these procedures at your own risk. If you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

File is attached below and you can also reach it with this link: Rear Shock Removal Part 2

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replacing rear shocks part 2.pdf (1.67 MB, 923 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Hey snowfro, thanks for the writeup man! My rear shocks (and/or) rear shock mounts seem to be giving hints that they could use some TLC.

What replacement shocks did you install? Bilstein heavy duties or BMW OEMs?

Also, are you considering replacing the front end struts at some point?
Anyone replaced their oxygen sensors due to engine stuttering under heavy acceleration?

Let me know.
Thanks in advance!!

BMWCCA Member
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Whoa whoa whoa... What? I've been trying to figure out that stupid stuttering for years, I just thought I had put too much wear on my transmission or something. You're thinking it could be a bad o2 sensor? If your problem is the same that I'm having and the o2 sensor fixes it, well I'll be damned. Thanks.

I put Sachs shocks on there. Here's what I bought from ******************.com:

Parts Ordered
Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly Sachs Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly X3|2.5i Sachs
Price: $ 135.95 Qty: 2.00 Part #: W0133-1805976

Shock and Strut Mount Lemfoerder Shock and Strut Mount X3|2.5i Lemfoerder
Price: $ 24.95 Qty: 2.00 Part #: W0133-1806541

These were for the sports package suspension, not sure if they'd be the same for you.

I had my front ones replaced at a shop, kind of wish I had done it myself. BUT it was totally worth it! I did it at around 99k.

So back to the stuttering... I feel it most when I'm in a middle gear, maybe 3rd, going up over an underpass on the freeway, and is worse when someone is riding in the car with me. Is this similar to what you're experiencing?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM

Shocks:
Don't have the sports package. Was considering (eventually) switching out all shocks / struts for the bilstein Heavy Duties.
I've done some e30 suspension work, so I'm not too too intimidated by this. Just wish it were still summer, that's all.

Acceleration stuttering:
Yes, you and I have the same symptoms... heavy acceleration with other people in the car, can be somewhat unnerving / annoying, due to the stupid stuttering.
It's slightly noticable when I'm in the car by myself, but very noticable with others in the car and/or acceleratng up hill.
When towing 4000 lbs of trailer behind me (the reason for new shocks) I never really paid attention, but I don't think it was as noticable.
And there surely was no difference in the car's behavior after towing.

Digging on the internet seems to point to bad 02 sensors on the X3.

TBH, I haven't actually changed any of them yet, but it's on my list of things to keep an eye on. Also, they're not cheap.
But, put a different way... my old e30 used to have a lot of noise coming from the rear end... and nothing short of installing a newly rebuilt posi-diff solved that issue.
So I wouldn't be surprised.

Have you gone after any of the "low hanging fruit" like changing spark plugs, the fuel pump/filter, or tranny fluid?
I haven't changed any of these things cause I'm not seeing the types of symptoms that would push me in these directions.

What have you tried, to attempt solving this problem?

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 10-31-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Tranny fluid is next, something I should have done ages ago but one time an indy shop told me I had a lifetime fluid and recommended against changing it. Now my transmission is getting notchy and I recently realized that I should have changed it a while ago, so I will be doing that this weekend.

I will see what happens after I change the tranny and diff fluids this weekend and if that doesn't solve it I'll get the 02 sensor. Actually, changing my front control arms helped a little bit so I attributed it to loose suspension components, but it happened again this weekend so now I know that wasn't the total fix.

I'll post a DIY on the sensor once I change it.

I hear the Bilstein HDs are awesome, and solid price point. Just a little stiffer...
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM

snowfro, when you replaced the suspension on your x3, did you have any of the control arms, ball joints, or anti sway bar linkages/bushings changed out as well?

BMWCCA Member
Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcreese View Post
snowfro, when you replaced the suspension on your x3, did you have any of the control arms, ball joints, or anti sway bar linkages/bushings changed out as well?
Just the front control arms. There are two, so far I've only replaced the one they call a wishbone which has the ball joint integrated into the arm. Next I'll replace the ones that are further forward with a separate ball joint. I'll probably not touch the anti sway bar bushings but the links I think are relatively cheap so I'll probably replace those as well.

In the rear I simply replaced the shocks and the mounts. There are a few other bushings back there but I think they're fine. I assume I'll be able to tell if they're worn after I replace everything else.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Glovebox removal T.I.S.

Don't think we have this anywhere, so for those needing access to the space behind the glovebox,
I have attached the TIS for removing the whole glovebox.
(Applies to M54 engine models, N52 instructions may be different.)

(I have seen other instructions, maybe for other BMW models, telling you to remove 4 screws underneath.
That is the mechanism for allowing the glovebox door to swing open and you don't want to mess with that needlessly.)

For removing the whole glovebox intact, there are 7 cross-head screws to remove.
3 on the underside of the top, 2 facing you on either side, one behind the holding strap and the other behind the plastic device on the other side.
The last 2 are facing you further in, more towards the middle, in the shiny black plastic.
You should be able to just detect the 7 holes in the first attached photo by the daylight coming through them.

I found that it is not necessary to take the light out as instructed.
You can just disconnect at the connector once the box is released.

There is a big white plastic electrical box behind the glovebox, divided into several compartments (2nd. photo).
In my case, only 1 was in use for some sort of relay or module. An X3 with more options may have more things in there.
I managed to stuff a blue Parrot BT module in one of the bigger empty slots, and crammed excess wire runs in other compartments (2nd. attached photo.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00881.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	306711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00884.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	306712  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf glovebox1.pdf (92.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfro View Post
Hi everyone I've entered that point in my 2004 x3's life where things are starting to fail. Since I'm studying automotive mechanics I'm trying to do everything myself. Haha it's been a blast. Anyways here's my first DIY for replacing the front wishbone (according to realoem, if there is a more common name for this please let me know).

I am not an expert or a mechanic please follow these at your own risk. I'd love to know if I'm doing it right though so please, please leave me some feedback if there's anything I need to correct.

THANKS.

Here's a link to the PDF: Wishbone DIY
Snowfro, thanks for the DIY's! This attachement may help. Please see the attached PDF showing torque values for the control arms on the e83. This also has the torque values for the front "Tension Strut". I just recently changed mine out.

It is recommened that all these parts be torqued with the X3's wheels on the ground.
Otherwise, the bushings can fail prematurely.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AZD Control Arms and Struts.pdf (13.1 KB, 395 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Folks, I have search all over and cant seem to find how to remove the front bumper cover out of a 2005 X3...any help?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: x3
i was thinking, it might be a good idea to add the TIS and WDS from spaghetti coders
Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Just for the folks mentioning the stutter. I have replaced both precat oxygen sensors spark plugs and did countless other items and that stutter was always there. I just recently had the dealer reprogram my dme and the stuttering is 100% gone now. Feels like a different car.