Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2010 California sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Bimmerfest 2010 California sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks
The 11th annual Bimmerfest show in California will be held on May 22, 2010 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA!
Sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
10 YEARS!!!

Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 99 MCoupe/01 740iSport
suggestions for BF 2011

1. organize cars so they can park in designated areas based on body codes, ie, E30, E21, E36, E46, E34, E39, E60, etc.

2. raffle ticket included with your $20 admission

3. goodie bag included with your $20 admission

4. BMW T-shirt included with admission or discounted for a reasonable price

5. pick a winner from each class/series and have them compete in the battle of the bimmers

6. BMW NA should bring all their new cars and not just a couple they had laying around. They should put more into this event that what it seems so far. Its a great marketing tool for them. They should also sign people up for their driving schools or have demos. It could be an awesome way to get ppl into their new models.
99 MCoupe Arctic Silver---> Laguna Seca Blue - Sold
01 740i Sport Titanium Silver- Sold
04 X5 4.8is Estoril - Sold
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Ads by Google
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 AM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
1. organize cars so they can park in designated areas based on body codes, ie, E30, E21, E36, E46, E34, E39, E60, etc.

2. raffle ticket included with your $20 admission

3. goodie bag included with your $20 admission

4. BMW T-shirt included with admission or discounted for a reasonable price

5. pick a winner from each class/series and have them compete in the battle of the bimmers

6. BMW NA should bring all their new cars and not just a couple they had laying around. They should put more into this event that what it seems so far. Its a great marketing tool for them. They should also sign people up for their driving schools or have demos. It could be an awesome way to get ppl into their new models.
1. Already been talked about by Jon Shafer. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post5199459

2. I can't speak for Jon and the crew, but the $20 fee covers security, the space, the people who help park cars, etc. I doubt there is a lot of profit built into the entry fee number (a small amount is likely). Therefore, I'd think that your suggestion likely won't be doable.

3. See number two.

4. See number two. As for discounted product, I doubt anyone expects that. Why not offer retail prices?

5. I like suggestion five. However, keep it mind that you'll likely create more costs by doing it this way. It will make your other suggestions less feasible (if you're not paying a higher entry fee).
Old 05-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
I wouldn't mind seeing some detailing demo's. I thought the E90 maintenance talk was good (even though I have an E46).
Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Pasadena is a beautiful city, but I was hearing that if you didnt enter together, you might end up on a different lot and the crew wouldn't let people over. I know 3 E21 guys parked away from the group because there were different lots you enter and they were not connected.

What about maybe looking into the Ventura County Fairgrounds? Its big and you can park just like at Early Warner and the Polo Club and.....its next to the beach!

Jon does a great job every time and for that I commend him. This was my 10th consecutive Bimmerfest, it wasnt the best, but I think the Polo Club set such a HUGE standard it will be hard to beat that.

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 05-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to synenergy52
Mein Auto: 330i
I agree, the Polo Club was the golden standard.

Cooling System Guide
Dayco 89133 Mechanical Tensioner Pulley
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM
10 YEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golforcars325i View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing some detailing demo's. I thought the E90 maintenance talk was good (even though I have an E46).
E90 Maintenance would constitute driving to your local BMW dealership, get out, hand your SA your keys, then pick up a loaner car, wait for SA to call when ready, then go back to dealer and pickup your car. hahahah
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 AM
10 YEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusSanDiego View Post
1. Already been talked about by Jon Shafer. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post5199459

This idea should be attempted b/c if people complain about the event not being "intimate" this idea should help solve 90% of that issue. Now people with similar cars who probably visit the same forums can have a staging area to meet. If the event sponsors cared, I would think they should try their hardest to implement this. I can't forsee it being that difficult that the logistical challenges could not be overcome by simple advanced planning.

2. I can't speak for Jon and the crew, but the $20 fee covers security, the space, the people who help park cars, etc. I doubt there is a lot of profit built into the entry fee number (a small amount is likely). Therefore, I'd think that your suggestion likely won't be doable.

3. See number two.

4. See number two. As for discounted product, I doubt anyone expects that. Why not offer retail prices?

Why would anyone want to pay retail? Wouldn't it be nice to know since you paid to get in, you could get better prices than say, buying from the internet? It would be more of a draw. Yesterday, my friends and I were able to score some really good prices on items b/c we asked for a better price. In the spirit of the fest, many of those vendors caved and gave us a better discounted price. It doesn't hurt to ask.

5. I like suggestion five. However, keep it mind that you'll likely create more costs by doing it this way. It will make your other suggestions less feasible (if you're not paying a higher entry fee).

With the impending release of the 2011 5 series, why not bring a couple down so people can check them out? They would have had far more people at their tent if they brought the latest and greatest. It was nice they brought the Alpina B7, but wrong demographic. Sure is nice to look at, but not anyone's cup of tea if they're under 50 yrs old. They should have brought X5M and X6Ms and why not all their M cars for that matter?
I am throwing these ideas out there b/c I've been going since 2001 and though I appreciate all the things Jon has done for the BMW community, the event isn't the same anymore. I understand the need to make $$$ and thats not an issue. Its just the event needs a "tune up" or a "mod or two" to get the max performance out of the machine, if you know what I mean.
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Last edited by JT///M3; 05-23-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
With $20 for each car that was there, and charging $8-9 for food and drinks, i doubt they are merely squeaking by with their profit margins. I dont like the way Bimmerfest has become more like a county fair with BMWs, allowing the ugliest examples of cars, with reckless owners showing up for no other reason then showing off.

If you want the old style Bimmerfest back, its simple. Host a smaller Bimmerfest in Santa Barbra, limit it to 1000 cars/heads, or whatever the Earl Warren showground can hold, and force people to pre-register and pre-pay if they want to attend. No registration, no admittance.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: 87 E30 325i Cabrio
Smile

take it back to SB!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
With $20 for each car that was there, and charging $8-9 for food and drinks, i doubt they are merely squeaking by with their profit margins. I dont like the way Bimmerfest has become more like a county fair with BMWs, allowing the ugliest examples of cars, with reckless owners showing up for no other reason then showing off.

If you want the old style Bimmerfest back, its simple. Host a smaller Bimmerfest in Santa Barbra, limit it to 1000 cars/heads, or whatever the Earl Warren showground can hold, and force people to pre-register and pre-pay if they want to attend. No registration, no admittance.
Come on folks, we have no control over what a stadium charges to feed people...

I too agree that the SB Polo Club was the gold standard for locations. We already had more cars that would have fit in Ventura. The Rose Bowl is our new home...

Things I'm already working on for next year:

1) available parking on GRASS.

2) parking my model (3/5/7/Z etc.).

Lots more too...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
Come on folks, we have no control over what a stadium charges to feed people...

I too agree that the SB Polo Club was the gold standard for locations. We already had more cars that would have fit in Ventura. The Rose Bowl is our new home...

Things I'm already working on for next year:

1) available parking on GRASS.

2) parking my model (3/5/7/Z etc.).

Lots more too...

Jon..... Once you're finished with your evaluation of this years event, would love to see a complete list of initiatives for next year.

BTW...... Though this was my first 'fest, I thought the venue was perfect for this type of event. Good job!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Would it be feasible to hold Bimmerfest IN the Rose Bowl? The photo ops would be fantastic!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Would it be feasible to hold Bimmerfest IN the Rose Bowl? The photo ops would be fantastic!
It would be far too small, plus the staff there was extremely protective of the facility.

Jon, how about setting up a pre-pay option for people to register their cars, pay for the event, maybe pre-order t-shirts. Mail out a registration kit with something like a hang tag for the rear view mirror. These people could then just be waved onto the site rather than clogging up the entrance.

Last edited by Cliff; 05-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
*rh Cdrh*

Mein Auto: 08 M5 e36 M3 gt40 877hp
Wink I only have one suggestion....

It should be in Florida next year

****************** __________________------====http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)====--------__________________
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
It would be far too small, plus the staff there was extremely protective of the facility.

Jon, how about setting up a pre-pay option for people to register their cars, pay for the event, maybe pre-order t-shirts. Mail out a registration kit with something like a hang tag for the rear view mirror. These people could then just be waved onto the site rather than clogging up the entrance.
It'll be interesting to see if Jon can pull off 'parking on the grass' at this sacred venue. That turf aint cheap!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by golforcars325i View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Jon can pull off 'parking on the grass' at this sacred venue. That turf aint cheap!
The grass Jon is talking about is at the adjacent golf course where the LA Concours is held.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Ahhhh...... I never considered that!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 325 Ci Convertible
My first fest also, would love to see a pre register package. I have held events and attended many in the past. You always get a better deal by pre registering, this gives the event cordinator a BIG reward, by being able to plan ahead.

Most of us have a few extra $$ is our budget or we wouldn't be driving the Ultimate Driving Machine and traveling hundreds and thousands of miles to attend a one day event.

Charge a set rate for early registration that could include things like an event shirt, goodie bag from the vendors with maybe small discount coupons (most claimed a discount anyway) little advertising giveaways from the vendors (like the bags everyone was handing out), preffered parking by groups...then go ahead and charge a slightly higher fee for entrance without registration.

Jon, GREAT Event, my first, I've only owned two so far, but I know that one will be in my garage for a long time to come.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
A suggestion for grass venues: Burnout/doughnut = ban for life!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Thanks Jon for throwing a wonderful Fest. Even my two younglings (4 and 5 year old) enjoyed it. We'll be going again next year, no matter what. Hopefully I get another Bimmer, lol. Dibs on a t-shirt (medium) paypal ready, couldn't find the booth for them.

E39 parts for sale
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382143
Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:

3. See number two.

I wouldn't mind paying a higher entry fee (maybe $30) to cover some extra goodies (like stickers for the car and a t-shirt).

dasauto.wordpress.com
Old 05-25-2010, 07:09 PM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_illuminatus View Post
I wouldn't mind paying a higher entry fee (maybe $30) to cover some extra goodies (like stickers for the car and a t-shirt).
And by raising prices, you can also control the size of the posse too. I would pay more money to keep a lid on the size of the show.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
And by raising prices, you can also control the size of the posse too. I would pay more money to keep a lid on the size of the show.
Yeah, that would definitely keep Lucky579 from coming.
2002 M5 Bluewater Metallic~Black & Silverstone leather~All options~MKIV NAV~VMR VB3 Square set-up~3M tint~BT~Intravee II~Ice V5 AE~DINAN Front/Rear Strut Braces~PowerChip Alpha-N tune~Smoked taillights~Ultimate pedals~BSW Stage 1 Upgrade w/Subwoofer~e60 SSK~ZHP Shift Knob~CF Kidneys~CNS Racing exhaust~LED lighting~Hella Euroclear Headlights~Angeleye DRL's~HID Foglights~Dinan Stage 2 Suspension~CNS Racing Clutch~Sink drains~ExoticsTuning CF diffuser/fog light covers~SuperSprint Headers
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 HPF TURBO M3
As much as I dislike ticket happy traffic cops, I would like to see a few there to keep a handle on the reckless driving in the parking lot. I like to kill some tires myself, but a parking lot full of cars and people is the wrong place, and it's a poor reflection on the whole event. Pre-registration is a good idea to speed up the entry. I also think that one area could be dedicated to the e number parking, and another area for groups that wish to park together.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Hartge82H3

Mein Auto: 1982 Hartge H3
Don't suggest unless....

There doesn't seem to be any question that Jon & company invest more of their time and energy to make BF happen every year. And yet every year there are multiple Monday morning QB's giving their opinions as to what would make it all so much better than what Jon & Co did. So, I say to all those who feel they have a better plan or suggestion: put up or shut up. Don't just offer a one sentence suggestion as to what, where, or even when BF would be "Better," instead invest some of your time first. If you have a better venue in mind then do a little leg work and get info about size, cost, traffic, accessibility, services, etc and then send Jon a workable plan for his consideration. BF isn't what it used to be, but either is LA or California; that's just what happens with growth. Someday BF might become bigger than Jon & Co and Incorporate as its own entity or acquired by a large corporation, you just never know. Maybe someone will volunteer to spend a ton of their time helping Jon work out a plan to divide BF in two: maybe one for BMW's 15 years and older and one newer and modded.
Whatever the case, spend a little time in the trench's doing some actual BF leg work and you might understand how much passion Jon has for BF and that it's not all about money (although I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting enough to compensate for 11 years of his time & energy he sacrificed from family, friends, and life in general.)