Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5 xdrive 35d
Diesel vs Gasoline Pricing

I'm awaiting the build of my X5 35d and watching gasoline prices fall. Here in New Jersey the price of diesel has declined only slightly since oil has started to slide. While diesel in the past has been a few cents below premium, it is now 6 to 8 cents higher. Is this a long term trend where premium will be cheaper? Anyone know why diesel in some parts of the country is cheaper than or the same price as regular, but so much higher here in New Jersey? I'm wondering if I should have ordered the new N55.
Ads by Google
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFoot View Post
I'm awaiting the build of my X5 35d and watching gasoline prices fall. Here in New Jersey the price of diesel has declined only slightly since oil has started to slide. While diesel in the past has been a few cents below premium, it is now 6 to 8 cents higher. Is this a long term trend where premium will be cheaper? Anyone know why diesel in some parts of the country is cheaper than or the same price as regular, but so much higher here in New Jersey? I'm wondering if I should have ordered the new N55.
The better mpg of the diesel should make up for most any price differences. You would miss the 425ft.lbs. of torque with the diesel. You might check an online cheap gas site or the like to review a one or two year trend of diesel v. gas in your zip code. BMW is not #1 because they don't see an advantage with the diesel or would not offer it here along with the 35i.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
I've never understood how they price diesel in different parts of the world.

Some of the European guys have been posting that the prices are equal over there, while the US market seems to be slightly more expensive for diesel.

Up here, we typically see premium diesel priced anywhere from 50-75 cents per gallon cheaper than premium fuel.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyFoot View Post
I'm awaiting the build of my X5 35d and watching gasoline prices fall. Here in New Jersey the price of diesel has declined only slightly since oil has started to slide. While diesel in the past has been a few cents below premium, it is now 6 to 8 cents higher.
I've only been paying attention to diesel prices since I bought my "d" last summer.The price of diesel around here was within a few cents of regular then and during this past winter it's been within a few cents of premium which is where it stands today.My theory is that in New England,at least,the price of diesel somewhat mirrors that of heating oil which,in essense,is what it is.Heating oil is noticeably cheaper in July than in January.I guess we'll see what happens in the next few months to gas prices *and* diesel prices.

Fuelly
Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Diesel in Virginia is usually priced between mid-grade and premium petrol. In instances where petrol prices rise quickly, diesel prices lag so it's not unusual to see diesel priced between regular and mid-grade.

Currently diesel runs around $2,85-2,99/US gallon and I suspect they will fall further.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 05-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
In my zip, 20854, diesel is between the price of premium and mid-grade.

Looking at www.gasbuddy.com NJ is still lower than MD by about $.20 in all grades. Just be grateful you have lower gas prices and someone fills your tank for you.

Looks like in the Cherry Hill area, Diesel is about the same as premium.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:42 AM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
historical gas prices....http://www.eia.doe.gov/petroleum/dat...s_history.html

I did a comparison, on a yearly average, diesel was always cheaper than premium gas in the NE region
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Do you guys search for premium diesel in your area and is the information on the pump? I need to start searching for that in my area as I would like to put the highest quality of diesel when I have the chance.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 08 528i, 10 x5 35d
Since getting my 35d last november, in my area, diesel has fluctuated between slightly less than regular gas to slightly more than premium, but for probably 80% of that time it was about the price of midgrade gas, as it was when I last filled up.

I think diesel prices and gas prices fluctuate responsive to a variety of factors, some seasonal and some not.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
I think diesel prices and gas prices fluctuate responsive to a variety of factors, some seasonal and some not.
I think there could be regional factors as well.For example...many people in New England heat their homes with oil.Oil heat is also found elsewhere in the Northeast but,I believe,isn't common elsewhere (Midwest,Northwest,etc).Given that diesel fuel and heating oil are basically identical the prices of the two tend,to a degree,to mirror each other in areas where heating oil is widely used.

Fuelly
Old 05-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0
Here in eastern Massachusetts. . .

Shouldn't take pictures while driving, I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Prices.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	231382  

2008 X5 3.0 - Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown - Sport (back when it meant something).

2004 330XI Orient Blue /Sand
Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Do you guys search for premium diesel in your area and is the information on the pump? I need to start searching for that in my area as I would like to put the highest quality of diesel when I have the chance.
Since the X5 is my dads car, all I do is tell him about the potential benefits of premium diesel but I don't really care if he shells out for it or not.

Premium diesel availability varies by region. In Central/southern Virginia, BP and Southern States are the two most likely to carry higher cetane diesel (45-47). Just like octane ratings, the cetane rating is supposed to be posted on the pump. If it's not posted, then assume regular diesel (40).
Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/Space Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Since the X5 is my dads car, all I do is tell him about the potential benefits of premium diesel but I don't really care if he shells out for it or not.

Premium diesel availability varies by region. In Central/southern Virginia, BP and Southern States are the two most likely to carry higher cetane diesel (45-47). Just like octane ratings, the cetane rating is supposed to be posted on the pump. If it's not posted, then assume regular diesel (40).
My 35d is being delivered in a few weeks and since it will be my first diesel I'm starting to pay attention to diesel prices and availability. I'm in Norfolk and I notice Shell has their product labeled Premium Diesel. I assume that the higher cetane? The price is great - $2.79, or $2.69 on Mondays when it's ten cents off.
2001 330i Black Metallic/Biege (retired)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel4B View Post
My 35d is being delivered in a few weeks and since it will be my first diesel I'm starting to pay attention to diesel prices and availability. I'm in Norfolk and I notice Shell has their product labeled Premium Diesel. I assume that the higher cetane? The price is great - $2.79, or $2.69 on Mondays when it's ten cents off.
http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa.../fuels/diesel/ this may not be much help, but it looks like Shell offers premium versions of diesel from the TDI forums...though the

I totally forgot about Shell's $.10 off Monday Diesel...I have one 2 blocks from my office...definitely going to take advantage of it.

There seems to be a lot more diesel information on the TDI forums.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...74#post1987974

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245861

Last edited by hsindogg; 05-24-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel4B View Post
Correct. Like i said, if it says premium diesel, the cetane label will likely be higher than the standard 40. Not all Shell stations carry this though, just like not all BP stations carry their Premier diesel.

Primarily I've noticed a slightly smoother idle and start-off acceleration, the two instances where diesel clatter is more pronounced.

I was being a bit of a c*ck today and did an acceleration run against a Honda S2000 from a stoplight. That torque does get to ya....... (Naturally the X5 diesel was about 20% slower than the roadster that weighs half as much).

Remember folks, always obey local road and speed laws.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 12 991,11 X5 35d,05 CTT
Logistics

A friend who trades oil told me that much of the Diesel in the northeast is actually shipped over on tankers from Europe. There isn't a lot of Diesel pipeline coming into the northeast.

As it takes longer to get here, this may explain why it takes the price of diesel a little longer to catch up with the price of gas.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In my part of the world diesel is cheaper than regular gas right now. That can (and does) change with marketplace price fluctuation. In California there apparently is no "premium diesel" because all diesel sold here is "premium diesel" because of CARB regulations. Much of the diesel used in CA is also refined right up the bay in the Benicia area.

Last edited by UncleJ; 05-25-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: M6, M3, DINAN 750iL, Z8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
In my part of the world diesel is cheaper than regular gas right now. That can (and does) change with marketplace price fluctuation. In California there apparently is no "premium diesel" because all diesel sold here is "premium diesel" because of CARB regulations. Much of the diesel used in CA is also refined right up the bay in the Benicia area.
Had been the same here in SoCal until about two months ago when diesel started to climb and in 80% of the stations it is now about $0.05 higher than premium gas. In the other 20% is below regular gas!!!???.

What's interesting is that while gas prices are fairly stable between stations and providers (Shell, Chevron, etc.), diesel varies wildly. Yesterday, I passed two Chevron stations within two miles of each other with diesel at $3.36 per gallon. I filled-up at the next station about two miles farther down the road at $3.06 per gallon. Can't figure what the is going on.

///M Blitz (AKA Dan)

- 88 M6 (33K mi - original owner)
"The best M6 in the World" - BMW Car mag. (Nov. 05)
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2006
**First place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2011
- 89 DINAN 750iL (69K mi - original owner)
**Second place "Stock Class" Bimmerfest 2008
- 98 M3 (65K mi - original owner)
- 03 Z8 (8K mi - original owner)
- 12 X5 Diesel (dd)
-------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
My theory on that is it is based on the amount of diesel fuel they sell. The stations with the high prices sell little diesel while those with lower prices sell a lot. The expensive stations (Shell in my area) seem to cater to the Mercedes crowd while the less expensive stations (Chevron) have a lot of medium duty truck trade with PowerStroke, DuraMax and Cummins engines.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 S7
Here in the NW it seems to be a bit more than Premium. However the MPG between my 35D and 4.8 is very noticable and the power drop off minor thanks to the increased torque. Also the tank size means I fill it up less often and can get discount pricing using supermarket gas where we buy our food.

Not sure if it still is valid but the $1800 tax credit made it an easy choice.

I got 29 MPG on the freeway up the BC not counting the border down time and 26 overall. That is a far cry from my 07 4.8.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Premium diesel dropped to 20 cents per liter (80 cents per gallon ) cheaper than premium gasoline this week up here.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I hope to be picking up my X5 35d sometime this week and have been checking local stations (plenty that offer diesel) but cannot find any with the cetane rating only low sulfur posted on the pumps. I don't ask the cashier as I am sure they have no idea. Is this the way it is around the country or just the south?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
I hope to be picking up my X5 35d sometime this week and have been checking local stations (plenty that offer diesel) but cannot find any with the cetane rating only low sulfur posted on the pumps. I don't ask the cashier as I am sure they have no idea. Is this the way it is around the country or just the south?
If there is no cetane rating posted, assume the minimum cetane rating of 40.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 35d
I'm in Bellevue, WA and Diesel here is just a few cents more than regular gasoline. Add that with the amazing mpg (I got 29.4 mpg on the freeway last week) and the 35d is a no-brainer!
2010 X5 35d, Black Sapphire / Sand Beige Nevada / Premium / Cold Weather / Tech / Rear Climate / Premium Sound / Sport Activity / Roof Rails / Running boards / iPhone Snap-in Adaptor / HUD / Comfort Access / iPod and USB / Space-Saver Spare
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

I came back from Finland and Germany yesterday. The current pricing in both countries is about 1,21/litre diesel compared to about 1,38-1,45/litre of petrol in D. and about 1,45/litre in Finland. That's nearly 1,15/US gallon difference!