Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 525i
Cool BMW E39 'steering angle sensor' for DSC

Hello! Nice to contact you. I am Tommy.

I'm car repair engineer in korean.

I have two 'BMW DSC Module', and BMW 525I M54.

One of them is working well, but the other is under repair.

The fault code of repairing one is 'steering angle sensor'.

I'd like to know how to fix the pcb.

Would you please let me know which part I need to check?

And is there this error messege('steering angle sensor') if the SMD parts or ground is not working?

If you don't mind, please let me know how to fix in detail. And it would be better if you attach some photoes.

Hope to get your reply and thanks a lot for your help.

Tommy.
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I do not know where to get circuit-level information. BMW AG just replaces the "box", or module. They do not repair to the component level.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Chronic BMW User

Mein Auto: 650i Gran Coupé,E28 M535i
Are you speaking about the error code reported when the module is installed in the vehicle?

The steering angle sensor (LWS) is a different part from that of the DSC module. It works in combination with the rest of the DSC system. It is located at the base of the steering linkage right before the firewall. Fairly easy to replace, however it needs to be coded to the car to function properly.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 525i
Sorry!
I am well not english.

The 'steering angle sensor' fault code is i using the Aotologic diagnosis, and i saw 'no fault' message for after New module installed.

I like repair pcb for in DSC module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bosch_abs_57_inside.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	231826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0225.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	231827  

Last edited by dpfzpdl; 05-27-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 89 735i
The wires you have circled in red are the ones that break. The gold ones usually dont. The problem is how are you going to reattach them. I think they are aluminum. They are not magnetic so I dont beleive that are steel. if you look closely at them you will see that the wire is bent 90 degrees before attaching to the gold pad. This is where they break. You need to either use an ohm meter to see if they are attached or lift slightly and see if they move out of the clear gel that surronds them. The connector that connects the abs unit is documented pins and you can figure out which connector goes to which wire inside the unit and then figure out if the angle sensor wire is disconnected. I took mine apart and most of the wires going to the wheel speed sensors were disconnected but becuase the gel held them it place I would get an intermittent problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 89 735i
The wires circled in red at the top of the first picture are the ones to check. If you find the diagram for the pin out on the connector you can use your ohm meter to see which ones have come disconneted. Look for bluebees write up on diagnosing the abs/dsc unit.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
The wires you have circled in red are the ones that break. The gold ones usually dont. The problem is how are you going to reattach them. I think they are aluminum. They are not magnetic so I dont beleive that are steel.
I have never used it but this or something similar may be the answer to many of these problems.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHkQ8wIwAA#

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Tommy, not sure I can help you but the steering angle sensor works in conjunction with the yaw sensor that is under the carpet on the drivers side.
If the angle the car is heading in doesn't match the position the steering wheel sensor is reading the ABS and DME modules takes over to reduce power and apply brakes on selected wheels.
Module Masters here in the US can repair most ABS modules.