Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2001 530i
Rust!

Guys, with age, our vehicles will start rusting in places exposed to elements. While in general, rust can be tackled on external places, it may not be as easy in other places. What can we do with rust that develop in odd places?

In my case, rust is developing at the internal door seams. The rust seems to be coming from an inaccessible part (even if I took off the door panels).

Anyone here know what to use? I've looked up Rust Reformer or converters, but I'm not sure what to do. Sand it down and use clear enamel paint is the first thing that comes to mind. But I still won't be able to get into the seam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	516364  
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The rust appears to be coming from the inside of the door. Not sure how you should proceed. You could remove the inner panel and attack it from both inside and outside.

Was this car from the northeast? Or in a flood?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 06-26-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Entwicklung 39

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Never sleeps.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
+1 for EdJack. I would use rust converter, followed by rust killer as a primer, and (on the inside of the door) use a rubberized rocker spray as the final coat. On the outside, use the paint of your choice.

This is what I did for my back wheel wells where salt and corrosion can run rampant in the little cracks between metal and rubber liners and flaps.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport, Scuderia
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
The rust appears to be coming from the inside of the door. Not sure how toy should proceed. You could remove the inner panel and attack it from both inside and outside.

Agreed, this is going to be really hard to tackle successfully. Even if you can clean and remove from both sides....the internal part of the seam will retain some of the rust. Unless you plan on keeping the car a long time, I would simply scrape out the worst of it, and put some touch up paint over it....I have never seen a rust repair hold up long term, even with professional help. The only permanent solution I have seen is replacement.

Thank god for garages. I have to say I never thought it was that big a deal, but it does make a huge difference in how well, and how long a car will last cosmetically. Mine is 14 years old, and 234k miles, and no rust, no issues anywhere on the body or frame. Always garaged. And this is with driving in rainy Seattle.
Factory 540 M-Sport (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Rain is bad, but salt is worse.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The rust appears to be coming from the inside of the door. Not sure how you should proceed. You could remove the inner panel and attack it from both inside and outside.

The car was from the northeast. It is now in Texas. Argh... I've managed to scrape it off and applied an enamel. I am aware how difficult it is to tackle this, especially on the seam. I'll take off the panel and see what I can do.

In the mean time, I think I'll settle with simply minimizing the effects of it.

Last edited by Silver-E39; 06-26-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport, Scuderia
Quote:
Rain is bad, but salt is worse.
We use salt in the city and on the mountain passes when it snows. But worse, we constantly apply ice melter chemical on all the bridges and overpasses throughout the city throughout the winter. Almost constant each evening from December to March. Lots of bridges and overpasses in Seattle...

I wash my car almost weekly...I'll wait two weeks max and hose out the wheel wells thoroughly.
Factory 540 M-Sport (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
If you want to permanently fix the rust , and possibly die from chemical inhalation, look into POR15.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
I have done (successfully) a major rust repair that started on the inner body panel directly in front of the driver rear tire. I bought a piece online from a vendor that would cut-out the piece you need (larger). You can then cut-out your bad panel using the donor piece of inner and outer panel as a template. I welded it in place using rod that would not rust and I coated the entire area liberally with etching primer. This was for a rust repair that was fairly easy to get at. In your case, I would look for a good deal on a door from another car that was rust free. I think that in the long run, approaching it this way would be better. You can use your existing lock assm., speakers if you have DSP audio and donor door does not have same audio drivers, etc. You use your current leather interior cover, et al. Sure, you will have to paint, but you will have to paint regardless of which way you go.

Cost will be tad higher using an entire door, but you can rest knowing the rust should not come back. Sounds like your door moisture barrier (clear, flexible plastic-like sheet that is held in place with adhesive) failed and may have trapped moisture. Or, your drain holes are blocked with crud. Donor doors can be had for under $200 if you look. What color code is your car? You may even find a panel that matches if your car is one of the more common colors like the silver or white- just as examples. If your car is say Lemans blue, you may not readily find. Good luck! A lasting repair can be made, but you must be meticulous in everything you do. No body shop will guarantee any rust "repair". Por 15 is the material of choice as suggested in prior response if you do go the repair route. Stuff is amazing. Like a Bondo on steroids. Great stuff and not that much more $$$ than plain body filler.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 AM

Thank you all for the advice.

I bought corroseal over the weekend at Home Depot, but it seems that POR15 is the way to go for this. I will settle on trying to prolong this door as much as possible before I go out had look for a Titanium Silver door.

I'll keep this thread updated with pictures when I get to it.