Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Fuel filter change

This evening my wife went to pull my 2005 X3 into the garage and came back in complaining that the car was running horrible. Figuring she was doing something wrong I had to check it out. When I tried to start the car it ran horrible. It acted like it was getting no gas. Pumping the gas pedal did nothing. When I finally did get the car to start it ran like it was only barely idling. Pressing the gas pedal did nothing. Not even the slightest fluctuation in the RPM. Thinking the fuel gauge was wrong I added what lawnmower fuel I had. The vehicle started trying to run and flooring the pedal could get the RPM's to go up. Eventually it began idling OK. I immediately drove up to the gas station and filled it up with premium. Judging by the amount of fuel it took the fuel gauge was correct and I was not low on gas. Now I'm wondering if my fuel filter is becoming clogged up. From what I've read the fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank and doesn't sound very easy to change. My wife did admit she has been putting cheap gas (87 octane) in the vehicle so hopefully that is the whole problem. Has anyone out there ever changed their fuel filter on their X3? Is it a pain in the butt?
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
toad, unless she got some "bad" gas the 87 octane should not have caused the problems you described IMHO. You would have experienced less power but the drivability would have been acceptable. I have used "regular" and "mid range" gas with no adverse affects many times. This by the way has been the subject of many discussions on this board and elsewhere so there will be many opinions. In my case the bottom line is that using regular gas will not do harm to your engine. Lawnmower fuel might very well cause harm however if you are running a 2 cycle mower! :>)
Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
fuel filter replace

Replace the fuel filter for X3 2007
refer to these for more info. http://www.realoem.com
http://blog.bavauto.com/wp-content/u...regulator1.pdf

- I use the Laminate installation tool to make the tool to turn the screw cap
- wait until 1/8 tank of gas because of the filter at the bottom of the tank
- move the car outside for adequate ventilation; have fire extinguisher around
- pull up the bench seat at up1 up2 up3
(note the way the seat belt through the bench, the electric wire lay underneath the bench. this helps when putting the bench back)
- remove 4 screws, lift the right cover up a little
- slide back to unlock, then pull up the connector1
- clean the locking plug, screw cap, and the area around
- check if your tool can turn the screw cap (use the wrench on nut1)
- open the glove box, turn the 2 white tab 90degree toward you
- take out the white card; it says fuse #54 for fuel
- look for the 54 printed on the fuse box, remove fuse #54 with the included tool
- start the engine; it won't start, but release the pressure
- mark the screw cap tooth so you know where to close it back
- remove line1, line2; some fuel drop out from line2; that plier helps
- remove the screw cap (turn 360degree then it's out)
- pull up the locking plug
- remove line3, line4, connector2 (squeeze, shake and pull hard)
- put on the new glove, remove line5, line6
- or push the old filter out of the holder, bring it to the top to remove line6
(I didn't use the new glove. The fuel in tank cleans all the dirt on my glove.
The Costco gloves work fine. look at the bavauto pdf, and feel around the holder help
you know how to push out the old filter, and install the new one)
- disconnect the ground wire, take out the old filter
- connect the ground to the new filter
- put the new rubber on line6, connect line6 to the new filter
(the old rubber stays with the old filter)
- install the new filter into the holder
- re-connect line5 to the new filter
- re-connect the connector2, line4, line3
- replace the seal, close the scew cap back to the marked place
- re-connect line1, line2, connector1; 4 screws back; fuse #54 back
- drive to the gas station to fill up the tank 15gal
- drive home, check if any leak around the screw cap
- put the bench back

I have a X3 2007 with navigation. I'd like to share these info.
- 16147186454 fuel filter (include seal, little rubber) $80.45
- 83300493936 Oil Filter Cap Wrench $34
- 83220397114 TRANS OIL DEXRON VI $48/4L; part# is on the oil pan.
circlebmw.com doesn't ship. I get it from getbmwparts.com
- 83220397244 The transfer case fluid $42.49/1L
- X3 front, rear diff. fluid = E46 cars fluid = SAF-XO = redline 75w90
- Dealer changed my car oil at 45kmi. My car displayed too much oil. Dealer updated the software to fix the problem in 05/2010
- BMW switch (66210397639) and Pioneer ND-BC4 (amazon.com) work well together; installed in 07/2010
- transmission leak at 49kmi; Dealer replaced the seal(24507509696) per SIB 242007 in 09/2010

have a good day!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf replace_filter.PDF (27.4 KB, 1054 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Great step by step, however it sounds so complicated that I will let the dealer (or BMW indy) do this repair for me! I remember when fuel pumps were mounted on the side of the block and filters were in the gas line. You could change one out in about 10 minutes! Progress is wonderful!

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-13-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
It's not an easy repair, I had a thread on how an indy shop botched it up by not replacing the seals properly. With the sensitive evap electronics, a lot can go wrong and pinpointing the problem will be like trying to fix the US economy. Find a competent dealer or indy shop that knows X3s, because indeed the filter is in the fuel tank.

On fuel octane, I will simply say this. In the German owner's manual, it says a minimum RON rating of 98, or 93 AKI by US measurements. It will run on lower octane, but it is not optimal. It's your choice.

Personally, I always use premium and will run around, even pay more for ethanol-free fuel.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 11-13-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Great step by step, however it sounds so complicated that I will let the dealer (or BMW indy) do this repair for me! I remember when fuel pumps were mounted on the side of the block and filters were in the gas line. You could change one out in about 10 minutes! Progress is wonderful!
Another fest member from the Quadrajet era. Those were the days.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 AM

There is something about the sound of a big block V8 rumbling through the pipes that still gives me goose bumps. They were indeed wonderful days.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
There is something about the sound of a big block V8 rumbling through the pipes that still gives me goose bumps. They were indeed wonderful days.
They were very nostalgic.

A few weeks ago I finally parted with my timing light and dwell meter as my son-in-law drug an old Dodge truck with points and a distributor home. I hadn't used them for almost 20 years but couldn't bring myself to throw them away.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadman1249 View Post
This evening my wife went to pull my 2005 X3 into the garage and came back in complaining that the car was running horrible. Figuring she was doing something wrong I had to check it out. When I tried to start the car it ran horrible. It acted like it was getting no gas. Pumping the gas pedal did nothing. When I finally did get the car to start it ran like it was only barely idling. Pressing the gas pedal did nothing. Not even the slightest fluctuation in the RPM. Thinking the fuel gauge was wrong I added what lawnmower fuel I had. The vehicle started trying to run and flooring the pedal could get the RPM's to go up. Eventually it began idling OK. I immediately drove up to the gas station and filled it up with premium. Judging by the amount of fuel it took the fuel gauge was correct and I was not low on gas. Now I'm wondering if my fuel filter is becoming clogged up. From what I've read the fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank and doesn't sound very easy to change. My wife did admit she has been putting cheap gas (87 octane) in the vehicle so hopefully that is the whole problem. Has anyone out there ever changed their fuel filter on their X3? Is it a pain in the butt?
This sounds more like a faulty fuel pump, than a clogged fuel filter to me. Hardly a filter will clog to that point from one day to the next.