Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
I did a cooling system overhaul before changing to NPG+. The water pump is the only mechanical part of the system likely to fail. No one is suggesting that this will make the pump last longer, but reduced pressure should dramatically increase the life of every other part of the cooling system.

The most common failures are the radiator and expansion tank. The cost of an NPG+ fill (over BMW coolant) is $52 (about 1/3 the price of a radiator), and a complete cooling system refresh will cost over ten times the cost, just in parts.

Then the issue of piece of mind. It's either NPG+ or Zionville.

Good feedback info. Thanks

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 06-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Update:
I contacted Evans Cooling Systems for cold climate, to see how viscous the NPG+ fluid could get at fridgid temperatures.
Here is my question:
Hello.
I currently have a 2003 BMW 530, and I am intrigued by your product (NPG+). My car runs at a high cooling system pressure and reading about your product, this might be answer to overcome cooling issues (plastic parts that develop cracks due to pressure and hot cold fluctuations).
However, I live in a cold climate, and my main concern is the low temperature during winter months. The temperature sees lots of -20C (-4F), and a few days where it dips between -30C to -50C (-22F 58F) not that often though a few days only. My question is: how viscous will the NPG+ fluid get, and can the waterpump handle/push it though the radiator if it gets that thick (if ever it gets thick)?

Thank you
And here is the answer I got:

Dorin..the NPG+ is good to -40 below zero. At temps below that it will start to get more viscous,like gear oil. In conditions that cold we do recommend letting the motor warm up and get the coolant thinned out so it can flow.
In a changeover for your car, all youre doing is a change of coolant, leave everything else alone. Our coolant does not generate pressure so its ok to stick with the stock pressure cap.
(Signed Tom Gondal)

I think I will go this route as well.
Thanks again Chief for your feedback.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Update:
I contacted Evans Cooling Systems for cold climate, to see how viscous the NPG+ fluid could get at fridgid temperatures.
Here is my question:
Hello.
I currently have a 2003 BMW 530, and I am intrigued by your product (NPG+). My car runs at a high cooling system pressure and reading about your product, this might be answer to overcome cooling issues (plastic parts that develop cracks due to pressure and hot cold fluctuations).
However, I live in a cold climate, and my main concern is the low temperature during winter months. The temperature sees lots of -20C (-4F), and a few days where it dips between -30C to -50C (-22F 58F) not that often though a few days only. My question is: how viscous will the NPG+ fluid get, and can the waterpump handle/push it though the radiator if it gets that thick (if ever it gets thick)?

Thank you
And here is the answer I got:

Dorin....the NPG+ is good to -40 below zero. At temps below that it will start to get more viscous,like gear oil. In conditions that cold we do recommend letting the motor warm up and get the coolant thinned out so it can flow.
In a changeover for your car, all you're doing is a change of coolant, leave everything else alone. Our coolant does not generate pressure so it's ok to stick with the stock pressure cap.
(Signed Tom Gondal)

I think I will go this route as well.
Thanks again Chief for your feedback.
Good, you can be the test case for cold climates, while I'm the test case for hot climates ,111 F. (44 C ) here today). I recommend you look for a case (4 gallons) price on NPG+. That will give you 1+ gallons to keep in the trunk, just in case. Make very sure you drain ALL of the old coolant out before putting the NPG+ in. Any ??'s let me know.

Last edited by chiefwej; 06-23-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Did you use that prep solution before, or you just drained it (I suppose from the engine-block)?
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Did you use that prep solution before, or you just drained it (I suppose from the engine-block)?
To fully drain the system I opened the drain on the bottom of the radiator, pulled the drain plugs on both sides of the engine block (remember mine is a V8), set the heater on high and turned the key on to drain the heater core, blew air through the cap opening to clear any left in the reservoir tank, and removed the lower hose to just make sure it was all drained. Left every thing open for a couple hours to be sure, then closed it all up and filled with NPG+. __________________

Last edited by chiefwej; 06-23-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Thanks Chief
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Been there done that...

Send a message via ICQ to Orxan4ik Send a message via AIM to Orxan4ik Send a message via MSN to Orxan4ik Send a message via Yahoo to Orxan4ik Send a message via Skype™ to Orxan4ik
Mein Auto: '97 540iA
thanks chief, im prolly gonna use this when i rebuild my cooling
Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Evans NPG+ One-Month Update

Well it has been one month since I changed over to the NPG+. I have driven a little over 2,800 miles, including a one-thousand mile road trip with the local BMWCCA chapter. Local daytime temperatures have been running 100+ highs.

I have been constantly watching the coolant level, and continue checking regularly to see if there is ever any pressure in the system. No matter how hot the day or how hard I have run it (including some mountain climbs on the trip) there is never more than a couple pounds of pressure in the system. Squeeze the radiator hose and it has very little pressure, where it used to feel very tight, like tire pressure. I just get that same little psst when I open the cap. I've taken to not really tightening the cap tight. It doesn't seem to make a difference, due to the O-ring design.

So far, the hot weather test is very uneventful. Everything seems perfectly normal, the Evans NPG+ works exactly as advertised, and I am very satisfied. I look forward to results of the cold weather testing this winter (to be done by Doru up in Calgary, Canada).

I will continue monitoring and providing regular updates.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Well it has been one month since I changed over to the NPG+. I have driven a little over 2,800 miles,
I haven't driven my E39 that much in 4 YEARS!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Get that damn thing out on the road!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Get that damn thing out on the road!
Well, it HAS been for the last ten days or so. Getting the road warrior X5 all fixed up with alternator and intake boots and fender liners. All kinds of no fun $1200 fixes!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Evans NPG+ One-Month Update

Well it has been one month since I changed over to the NPG+. I have driven a little over 2,800 miles, including a one-thousand mile road trip with the local BMWCCA chapter. Local daytime temperatures have been running 100+ highs.

I have been constantly watching the coolant level, and continue checking regularly to see if there is ever any pressure in the system. No matter how hot the day or how hard I have run it (including some mountain climbs on the trip) there is never more than a couple pounds of pressure in the system. Squeeze the radiator hose and it has very little pressure, where it used to feel very tight, like tire pressure. I just get that same little psst when I open the cap. I've taken to not really tightening the cap tight. It doesn't seem to make a difference, due to the O-ring design.

So far, the hot weather test is very uneventful. Everything seems perfectly normal, the Evans NPG+ works exactly as advertised, and I am very satisfied. I look forward to results of the cold weather testing this winter (to be done by Doru up in Calgary, Canada).

I will continue monitoring and providing regular updates.
My son sent me a photo of the outside temp monitor on his M3.... 112F at noon in Tuscon. Yep, hot
Old 07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I just put in NPG+ also, works well. The temp needle if anything is ever-so-slightly on the cold side. A couple minutes after engine shut off, I can open the cap and no boil over, no or very little vapor pressure. I like the idea that the coolant system is not under a pressure that can bursts things or that tries to find a way to escape or get pushed into the cylinder or oil.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Success will be measured in years and/or miles of trouble free driving.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
hmm i was wondering, can this also benefit people with slight cracked head or slightly bad head gaskets? since the coolant flow into the cylinder due to the pressure from the system, since this will keep the cooling system pressure at a minimum may be this can be a cheaper cure for a short term while they get the money for their rebuild. anyone with a blown head gasket wanna try? lol (or am i completely wrong in my theory here?)

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n View Post
hmm i was wondering, can this also benefit people with slight cracked head or slightly bad head gaskets? since the coolant flow into the cylinder due to the pressure from the system, since this will keep the cooling system pressure at a minimum may be this can be a cheaper cure for a short term while they get the money for their rebuild. anyone with a blown head gasket wanna try? lol (or am i completely wrong in my theory here?)

not gonna happen

Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n View Post

The pressure in a running cylinder will push the gasket out, ruining your plan.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:34 PM

lol oopse well i was just throwing an idea out there. btw, would it be recomended changing my coolant to nkg+? i love in nyc, and my cooling system is due for an overhaul. we dont really see way too cold temps around here, normally it doesnt even dip to the single digits.

every day another light"
Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n;5308557[I
]lol oopse[/i] well i was just throwing an idea out there. btw, would it be recomended changing my coolant to nkg+? i love in nycc, and my cooling system is due for an overhaul. wedontt really see way too cold temps around here, normally itdoesntt even dip to the single digits.
Wow, the fact that you "love in NYC", doesn't mean much and I don't know what nkg+ is. (spark plugs?) If you are considering using Evans NPG+, you need to do a cooling system overhaul beforehand. It would be a shame to see $100 worth of coolant lost due to a small leak.

In the future try asking your questions in English. People will give better answers if they can understand the questions. There is a school somewhere that owes you a refund, or at very least an apology.

Last edited by chiefwej; 07-07-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM

sorry about that I'm typing on the iPad and it's autocorrecting it to wrong stuff. I mentioned NYC to give an idea of the climate here and i was wondering if its okay to use that stuff after the cooling overhaul (based on the climate here). and next time try to not be so rude to people chief, you will be surprised how far a little bit of "niceness" will take you

every day another light"
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Freude am Fahren

That was me being nice.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
That was me being nice.
Easy, fellas.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i Sport
Chief. How is the NPG working for you in this heat? Up here in the Phoenix area it hasn't dropped below 100 during the day for over a month. I was on my way home today, looking at my OBC read 115 and it got me to thinking of using the NPG when I do a mini cooling service in the next few months. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I have no words for this. Why haven't the BMW police seized your vehicle?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcotti View Post
Chief. How is the NPG working for you in this heat? Up here in the Phoenix area it hasn't dropped below 100 during the day for over a month. I was on my way home today, looking at my OBC read 115 and it got me to thinking of using the NPG when I do a mini cooling service in the next few months. Thanks.
Similar temps here (but about 5-10 degrees cooler). No problems with the NPG+, so far it has worked exactly as advertised.