Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: None
Brake squeaking going in reverse

Like the title says, my car's (2007 335 coupe) brake squeaks when car is going in reverse direction. I took the car to the dealer and they said it's due to normal wear and tear of the brake so they just cleaned the brakes but the squeak is still there. On board computer says i still have about 9000 miles to go before i need my front brake replaced and 12,000 miles to go for the rear brakes. My question is, if the squeak is due to normal wear and tear, shouldn't it get replaced by the maintenance plan??

Last edited by boiler123; 05-29-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
If you have 9,000+ miles to go on the existing brakes, why should they be replaced? Good luck convincing BMW that your brakes need replacing with 9,000+ miles left on the pads.

If you don't like the brake noise when driving in reverse, try not driving in reverse.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
If you have 9,000+ miles to go on the existing brakes, why should they be replaced? Good luck convincing BMW that your brakes need replacing with 9,000+ miles left on the pads.

If you don't like the brake noise when driving in reverse, try not driving in reverse.

I'm guessing you either 1) don't ever have to drive your car in reverse OR 2) your breaks don't squeak when your car is going in reverse

either way, breaks shouldn't squeak regardless which direction the car is going, and I was wondering if there are any other drivers who have faced a similar situation as I have, and wanted to know what those drivers did to mitigate the issue.

If you didn't have any valuable input to provide to me, why bother wasting your time typing a response?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler123 View Post
I'm guessing you either 1) don't ever have to drive your car in reverse OR 2) your breaks don't squeak when your car is going in reverse

either way, breaks shouldn't squeak regardless which direction the car is going, and I was wondering if there are any other drivers who have faced a similar situation as I have, and wanted to know what those drivers did to mitigate the issue.

If you didn't have any valuable input to provide to me, why bother wasting your time typing a response?
Well..., I did wish you luck in your attempts to convince BMW that your brakes need to be replaced with 9,000+ miles of wear left on them....

BTW, how long ago did you learn to drive? There was a time not too too long ago, where disc brakes made noise when the operator pressed the Stop pedal regardless of whether they were driving forward or reverse. But that may have been before your time.

I wonder why no one else has replied to your post? Probably its the holiday weekend. Brake noise while driving in reverse has got to be at the top of everyone's list of issues with their cars - even ahead of HPFP failure.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
I wonder why no one else has replied to your post? Probably its the holiday weekend. Brake noise while driving in reverse has got to be at the top of everyone's list of issues with their cars - even ahead of HPFP failure.

Last edited by boiler123; 05-30-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:38 AM
335i N3WB

Mein Auto: 11' Audi S4 Prestige
I had the same issue and my BMW dealer replaced my breaks no questions asked... As soon as they heard it.

Edit:
I forgot how many miles were left on the pad's per the computer, but the card had 26k miles on it so?? I'm sure you can figure it out based on your current mileage.

I feel like all depends on your dealership with any repairs being taken care of or not. I must just get lucky.

Currently Drive: 2011 S4 Prestige, Quartz Gray, Black Alcantara, Adv key, B&O, NAV + rear sensors, 19's, Carbon Fiber Trim, iPod...
Previously drove:2007 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic,Black Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package, Cold weather package, Sports package, i-Drive, Rear sensors, iPod.

Previously drove: 1998 3000GT Vr-4 Red/Black TT AWD AWS

Last edited by Mineo335i; 05-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineo335i View Post
I had the same issue and my BMW dealer replaced my breaks no questions asked... As soon as they heard it.

Edit:
I forgot how many miles were left on the pad's per the computer, but the card had 26k miles on it so?? I'm sure you can figure it out based on your current mileage.

I feel like all depends on your dealership with any repairs being taken care of or not. I must just get lucky.
Maybe your dealer did in fact give you a break.... Although depending on how you drive your car, 26,000 miles could be in replacement (due to wear) territory.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
I had the same issue and a friend suggested that it might be a small rock between the rotor and pad, but because it only does it in reverse that it was probably one of the rear brakes. Sure enough it worked itself out of there that day and hasn't made a peep since.

I would give it a day or two and see if it is a rock that needs to be worked out.
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...

Last edited by Mk23; 05-30-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Skxawng

Mein Auto: 335i E90 MT
happens to me a few times a year. doing "bed in" again fixes the problem for some time. If it's rear brakes, it might also be parking brake - similar(but way slower speed) bed in can be done.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Keeper View Post
happens to me a few times a year. doing "bed in" again fixes the problem for some time. If it's rear brakes, it might also be parking brake - similar(but way slower speed) bed in can be done.
Sky has a good point. Let's assume that since the squeal only happens in reverse that the pads are not excessively worn.
Here's what we would try at my shop. Drive in reverse in a large parking lot. Make repeated stops -10 or so- from full reverse speed. Then drive in reverse with your foot lightly on the brake pedal so that you can feel your car just begin to slow down. Drive 100 or so feet. Then drive forward to the start point. Then drive in reverse lightly dragging the brake as before. Do this 5 times. Following this procedure drive normally for a mile or so to ensure an even cool down. Do NOT apply the parking brake until after you cool down.
Old mechanic's trick. Kids don't know this stuff. It isn't in their textbooks.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Sky has a good point. Let's assume that since the squeal only happens in reverse that the pads are not excessively worn.
Here's what we would try at my shop. Drive in reverse in a large parking lot. Make repeated stops -10 or so- from full reverse speed. Then drive in reverse with your foot lightly on the brake pedal so that you can feel your car just begin to slow down. Drive 100 or so feet. Then drive forward to the start point. Then drive in reverse lightly dragging the brake as before. Do this 5 times. Following this procedure drive normally for a mile or so to ensure an even cool down. Do NOT apply the parking brake until after you cool down.
Good advice!

As far as replacement, the dealer can replace them at any time, if they find a problem. I had the wheel squeak problem (forward/slow) and the dealer replaced my pads/rotors and I haven't had a problem since. I don't remember my mileage, but pretty sure it was < 12k.

Good luck with this, I know squeaks drive me crazy...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 PM

Big thanks to all who shared their experiences. My dealer said the noise is normal, and below is the note that they had on the work order. Please let me know if my dealer is talking nonsense here. Because I am wondering if I need to do a better job of convincing them to replace my brakes.

"Normal operation light squeaking in reverse is normal due to normal wear pattern of brake friction material. Deglased brake pads. Front pads measure 10MM Rear 8MM"
Old 05-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Thank you, I will try this out.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler123 View Post
Big thanks to all who shared their experiences. My dealer said the noise is normal, and below is the note that they had on the work order. Please let me know if my dealer is talking nonsense here. Because I am wondering if I need to do a better job of convincing them to replace my brakes.

"Normal operation light squeaking in reverse is normal due to normal wear pattern of brake friction material. Deglased brake pads. Front pads measure 10MM Rear 8MM"
Do you know how you "deglase brake pads"? You remove them and sand them with 220 or 100 grit sandpaper. Sometimes that works. But NEVER if a customer complains that the car only squeals in reverse. Sheesh.