Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Malaysia airlines vanished

This is very sad...

http://www.euronews.com/2014/03/08/m...sumed-crashed/

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
330 Coupe Sold
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Here's an article with more information:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03...ing-23-people/

It will probably be some time before they locate the wreckage, but having 7 years experience in the aerospace industry myself I would have to agree with the expert they had on the phone - the cause being related to criminal action, perhaps in the form of a bomb.

The 777 is an extremely safe aircraft and even in the presence of unlikely strong clear air turbulence, either of the pilots in the flight deck would have had time to radio a distress signal.

Also, the OPs article, being from euronews, takes the liberty of mentioning this would be 2 fatal crashes within a 1 year period for the 777. However, it does not qualify that statement with the fact that first fatal crash (Asiana 214) was result of pilot error. I sense a lot of airbus bias from that news source.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post

It will probably be some time before they locate the wreckage, but having 7 years experience in the aerospace industry myself I would have to agree with the expert they had on the phone - the cause being related to criminal action, perhaps in the form of a bomb.

The 777 is an extremely safe aircraft and even in the presence of unlikely strong clear air turbulence, either of the pilots in the flight deck would have had time to radio a distress signal.

Also, the OPs article, being from euronews, takes the liberty of mentioning this would be 2 fatal crashes within a 1 year period for the 777. However, it does not qualify that statement with the fact that first fatal crash (Asiana 214) was result of pilot error. I sense a lot of airbus bias from that news source.

Supposedly the US Air Force in Thailand got a distress SOS signal from that plane before vanishing. This is so sad

330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 325i/X5 4.8
Quote:

Weren't there some battery issues, can't remember But if so, an electrical problem could cause explosion etc....

However

http://news.yahoo.com/oil-slicks-fou...--finance.html

Quote:
Foreign ministry officials in Italy and Austria said the names of two nationals from those countries listed on the flight's manifest matched passports reported stolen in Thailand.
Italy's Foreign Ministry said the Italian man who was listed as being a passenger, Luigi Maraldi, was traveling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane. It said he reported his passport stolen last August.
Austria's Foreign Ministry confirmed that a name listed on the manifest matched an Austrian passport reported stolen two years ago in Thailand. It said the Austrian was not on the plane, but would not confirm the person's identity.
seems to scream terrorists....

My bet is that we are headed for longer security lines
Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
I have a feeling that Allah may be involved.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Two reported slolen passports, one Austrian and one Italian were used.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-08-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwilson View Post
Weren't there some battery issues, can't remember But if so, an electrical problem could cause explosion etc....

However

seems to scream terrorists....

My bet is that we are headed for longer security lines
The battery issues were with the 787, but even so those types of batteries cannot explode in a manner to release enough energy so quickly to bring a plane down.

Two stolen passports screams criminal activity. I could imagine there being a flight with a single stolen passport among those on the manifest simply as a means for that individual to illegally enter or escape a region. However, 2 to me seems like some type of coordinated action was planned.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
The battery issues were with the 787, but even so those types of batteries cannot explode in a manner to release enough energy so quickly to bring a plane down.

Two stolen passports screams criminal activity. I could imagine there being a flight with a single stolen passport among those on the manifest simply as a means for that individual to illegally enter or escape a region. However, 2 to me seems like some type of coordinated action was planned.

while I agree that these 2 stolen passports would seem like serious misdeeds - this particular aircraft had a wing issue when it collided with an A340 in August 2012 - so I'd say major failure of the plane cannot be ruled out:

Quote:
The tip of the wing of the same Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777-200 broke off Aug. 9, 2012, as it was taxiing at Pudong International Airport outside Shanghai. The wingtip collided with the tail of a China Eastern Airlines A340 plane. No one was injured.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/why-malaysia-a...213133681.html

I am very curious as to what happened. There are quite a few possibilities out there. The plane had a wing record and the manufacturer a battery record. Other possibilities exist as well. I am curious as to who was on that plane. We also know whom has a record of using false passports after the Dubai incident. If there were fake passport involvement then there could have been people sent on a mission to kill someone on that flight like what we saw in Dubai before. Passenger list will would help show this when it is released.I will wait till we get more info before pointing fingers at who was involved or could have caused the accident. Maybe it was just a very sad accident where something just went wrong with the airplane.

330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
If terrorists... Why hasn't anyone claimed responsibility? Build up drama?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
As an aviation enthusiast, ive been following this on airliners.net.... there are SIX threads, now over 1500 posts total.

There is no point in rehashing all of the issues here... EVERYTHING you can imagine is being vetted over there. (If you recall the AF447 crash off brzil that took 2 years to find the wreckage and blck bbox, that community had zeroed in on the probable cause ,much sooner.)

It is a slog to read it all now (ive been following since the beginning) but every shred of info that is available is collected there- including leaked documents and 'friend of a friend workds for XYZ and told me'

But yes, over 48 hrs, no wreckage..very odd. Although there was a report of possibe debris at nighttime there, which will eed to wait for sunrise for positive ID...
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
We shouldn't prematurely bash anyone's religion prior to knowing anything. After all, if we see that there were quite a few little boys on the passenger's list then we can assume the Pope may have been involved too

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
If terrorists... Why hasn't anyone claimed responsibility? Build up drama?
I was thinking same. Usually terrorists of the likes of al qaeda take joy in claiming responsibility for XY & Z reasons.

Perhaps aliens were involved?

Very eerie. Would be bewildering if it vanished forever without a trace (twilight zone music playing in backround)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
As an aviation enthusiast, ive been following this on airliners.net.... there are SIX threads, now over 1500 posts total.

There is no point in rehashing all of the issues here... EVERYTHING you can imagine is being vetted over there. (If you recall the AF447 crash off brzil that took 2 years to find the wreckage and blck bbox, that community had zeroed in on the probable cause ,much sooner.)

It is a slog to read it all now (ive been following since the beginning) but every shred of info that is available is collected there- including leaked documents and 'friend of a friend workds for XYZ and told me'

But yes, over 48 hrs, no wreckage..very odd. Although there was a report of possibe debris at nighttime there, which will eed to wait for sunrise for positive ID...

Bad weather? They do get some bad thunderstorms in Southeast Asia. You do not want to be in board a flight when there is bad weather. I always try and make sure the weather is good on the route I am flying on before flying. If it is bad I usually cancel my flight until the weather is better. No one wants to risk being on flight with bad weather.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-around-search

330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post

Perhaps aliens were involved?

Very eerie. Would be bewildering if it vanished forever without a trace (twilight zone music playing in backround)
I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the 2 stolen/fake passports. 2 aliens could not just walk into a post office and get passports.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Bad weather? They do get some bad thunderstorms in Southeast Asia. You do not want to be in board a flight when there is bad weather. I always try and make sure the weather is good on the route I am flying on before flying. If it is bad I usually cancel my flight until the weather is better. No one wants to risk being on flight with bad weather.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-around-search

As flying is so insanely safe compared to driving I never consider any factor like weather. I have a much brtter chance dying in my car.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche
if it was a bomb and the plane broke apart in the middle of the sky, wouldn't there be debris everywhere? I'm no expert but doesn't the fact that there is nary a trace of the plane suggest it would have nose dived into the ocean?

Old 03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
We shouldn't prematurely bash anyone's religion prior to knowing anything. After all, if we see that there were quite a few little boys on the passenger's list then we can assume the Pope may have been involved too

How did I miss that? Too funny.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
if it was a bomb and the plane broke apart in the middle of the sky, wouldn't there be debris everywhere? I'm no expert but doesn't the fact that there is nary a trace of the plane suggest it would have nose dived into the ocean?
But then it would be breaking into pieces too. This is a mystery to say the least. I would have expected them to find bodies floating, debris, seat cushions, etc. To imagine that the whole plane is just sitting there at the bottom of the ocean in one piece with all the passengers still sitting in their chairs... ???

Last edited by MatWiz; 03-09-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
But then it would be breaking into pieces too. This is a mystery to say the least. I would have expected them to find bodies floating, debris, seat cushions, etc. To imagine that the whole plane is just sitting there at the bottom of the ocean in one piece with all the passengers still sitting in their chairs... ???

Maybe an Alien ship picked them up? By now I am assuming that they must have all died as there seem to be no traces of anything. Very worrying and very sad. I pray for a miracle.

330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-09-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Havana 328I
The latest news is there may have been up to four passengers on the flight on fake ID's and apparently the plane "disintegrated" at 35,000 feet!

FARK!

Ride - 2013 Denim Black Nightrod Special with V&H Black Widow slip ons.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Could it be an explosion that took the communication system and piloting systems out (I have no idea what I'm talking about here. I don't know how it set up). That would/could explain the radio silence and plunging into the water in one piece, but then sinking.

Those 2 passports put the whole thing into the fishy territory (no pun...), but it can be a coincidence. On the other hand, there are no such thing as coincidences. So how are these two people involved?

The oil slicks. Can they be the result of fuel dumping by the aircraft? Or that would be too misty and would not form slicks.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The latest news is there may have been up to four passengers on the flight on fake ID's and apparently the plane "disintegrated" at 35,000 feet!

FARK!
How did they get the "disintegrated" part? Wild guess or some evidence?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
There are a lot of false passports being used everywhere...this may turn out to be some bad people using fake passports to simply avoid detection and having the karmic misfortune to chose this plane. Some interesting stuff on ethnic Uighurs and their struggles with china...

But most likely a meteor strike.

Last edited by ard; 03-09-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
It would have broken into a ton of pieces upon impact with the ocean if it went in nose first. If the pilot had time to set it down "gently" on the ocean (like that pilot in new jersey), then they would have had time to make a mayday call.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 PM

I wonder if any countries were doing any military exercises in that area. As if they would step up and say OOOPS....

330 Coupe Sold