Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Thumbs down Stupid Google(+) got their brain back, after 3 years.

But... too little too late. I think they are already doomed now.

Quote:
Google Plus Ends 'Real Name' Policy After Three Years
BY DEVIN COLDEWEY

Google ended a long and unpopular policy Tuesday requiring a real name to register a Google+ account. In a blog post, the company explained the reason for the change. The original real-names-only policy "helped create a community made up of real people, but it also excluded a number of people who wanted to be part of it without using their real names." Smaller changes to the rule have been made over time, allowing "pages" to have any name, and letting YouTube users migrate their usernames there onto Google+. Meanwhile, users complained that it wasn't clear what names were allowed, why some were disallowed, and so on.

"Our original names policy has been unclear, and this has led to some unnecessarily difficult experiences for some of our users," the blog post reads. "For this we apologize." Whether this will help bolster the struggling social network's numbers, or whether it's too little, too late, is anybody's guess.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-m...-years-n156841
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Psychology Reversalist

ZDnet has a better coverage of this.

http://www.zdnet.com/google-reverses...cy-7000031642/

Wow.

Quote:
Google reverses 'real names' policy, apologizes
Summary: In a dramatic reversal from policy enforced since it was created three years ago, Google will now allow users to use any name they want across Google services.

Violet Blue
By Violet Blue for Pulp Tech | July 15, 2014 -- 21:56 GMT (14:56 PDT)

In a dramatic turnaround from policy created — and enforced — three years ago, Google has now reversed its "real names" policy. Users can now use any name they want across Google services.

The company announced, "there are no more restrictions on what name you can use."

A post Tuesday afternoon on Google's own Plus account apologized for the policy, saying:

When we launched Google+ over three years ago, we had a lot of restrictions on what name you could use on your profile. This helped create a community made up of real people, but it also excluded a number of people who wanted to be part of it without using their real names.

(...) Today, we are taking the last step: there are no more restrictions on what name you can use.

We know you've been calling for this change for a while. We know that our names policy has been unclear, and this has led to some unnecessarily difficult experiences for some of our users.

For this we apologize, and we hope that today's change is a step toward making Google+ the welcoming and inclusive place that we want it to be.

Thank you for expressing your opinions so passionately, and thanks for continuing to make Google+ the thoughtful community that it is.
The change is a huge surprise after three years of user dissatisfaction, anger, and even fear of being outed by a social media giant known for being unresponsive to its users.

It's even more surprising after years of digging in its heels on the topic of "real names" -- to the point of dramatically breaking user trust. A petition from upset YouTube commenters over the policy reached over 350,000 signatures this year and appeared to fall on deaf ears.

Are the Nymwars over?
2011 was the year Google made its major social network play with the launch of Google+ — and became the year that imprinted Nymwars onto the map of wider collective consciousness.

Not long after Google launched Plus, it staked its citizens ability to participate in the social network and ancillary Google services on whether or not Google thought its users were operating in Plus under their “real names.”

Shortly after welcoming everyone to its new social network, Google+ quietly embarked on a sudden, mass account purge.

Google began its "real name" enforcement with mass Google+ account suspensions and deletions shortly after Google+ launched in July 2011. The whole mess is called Nymwars.

Ex-Google employees were deleted. Writers, musicians, programmers and more were deleted. Editing your name raised suspicion and still risks getting you flagged.

Google+ did not warn users before suspending user accounts. Some people reported being locked out of all Google services, including docs and Gmail.

Google+ remained silent while Nymwars raged through the headlines — until the search giant said it would allow "alternate names" — which was incorrectly reported (at first) as if Google had begin to allow pseudonyms. This was shown to be untrue when Google told ZDNet that "nicknames" had to be proven with your real name and government ID.

In the background, Google+ began "unifying" people's identities (combining its background matching of users names and profiles) in Android address books.

What's Hot on ZDNet

Decoding the hidden messages in Satya Nadella's letter
Apple's iPhone 6 upgrade cycle may be largest ever, say analysts
First impressions: Lumia Icon Windows Phone (unboxing)
Xbox: Will this be your next office computer?
For LGBT, political dissidents, activists and at-risk people everywhere, Google's little Google+ project became a loaded gun pointed right at anyone whose privacy is what keeps them alive.

Users found out in January 2014 when Google+ force-integrated chat and SMS into "hangouts" in the Android 4.4 "KitKat" update.

At-risk users were disproportionately affected, most especially transgender people who needed to keep their identities separate for personal safety and employment reasons.

At launch the Google+ policy stated, "To help fight spam and prevent fake profiles, use the name your friends, family or co-workers usually call you."

Controversies and raging debates about online anonymity and pseudonyms are certainly part of the online landscape.

But Google’s mishandling of social networking in regard to user names pushed pseudonym arguments out of online community spheres, and into mainstream consciousness.

The "real names" issue and Google's handling of it also cast a dark shadow over a company once regarded as trustworthy and positive.

But can Google get its user trust back with a change that for some will be "too little, too late"?

Today's Google+ announcement that Google has reversed it stance on "real names" signifies a serious shift for the company and its social network.

It's safe to say that Google just surprised everyone by changing a major policy -- and by showing that it has begun to listen to its users.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
I stopped reviewing apps as soon as they forced me to use my real name. While I do not have a problem giving a developer my real name; I do not want my real name published on the Internet with any opinions.

Yes, you can make a fake account, like I have done with Facebook so I can get Facebook only discounts (do not use it with my real name), but that's such a giant hassle.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
I stopped reviewing apps as soon as they forced me to use my real name. While I do not have a problem giving a developer my real name; I do not want my real name published on the Internet with any opinions.

Yes, you can make a fake account, like I have done with Facebook so I can get Facebook only discounts (do not use it with my real name), but that's such a giant hassle.
Same here.

Youtube is also screwed up. I can't post any comment or even a thumb up/down on a comment. It flashes an empty Google+ window and closes right down. (because I don't have a g+ account on some of my gmails and even with the one I do have, it still doesn't work (I guess because I refused to connect the account).

But it doesn't look like they fixed anything.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
But... too little too late. I think they are already doomed now.
It's never too late. Facebook is picking up more and more ads every month and the facebook experience will eventually be like watching live tv (you get force-fed advertisements) - with this change they are becoming more like facebook. Get close enough and you'll start the mass-migration.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Same here.

Youtube is also screwed up. I can't post any comment or even a thumb up/down on a comment. It flashes an empty Google+ window and closes right down. (because I don't have a g+ account on some of my gmails and even with the one I do have, it still doesn't work (I guess because I refused to connect the account).

But it doesn't look like they fixed anything.
+1, this is not good.

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
330 Coupe Sold