Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '15 228i Sport / Track
The World's Most Deadly Race:

Hundreds of fatalities to date:

Advertisement
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Many/most of the GP riders are too scared to race the TT. I like John McGuiness, he wins in multiple classes.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Massive skill and stones.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
This one produced goose bumps. First one at 2:18 - 2:22. Then a few more to follow.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Insane.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 12-23-2014, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Personally I prefer this video of TT above all the others -- the song fits in perfectly:

This race is the craziest thing possible, this is more than just sport involved.
The only thing I regret in my life -- is that I will never be as good as those guys who race TT.

1992 Mercedes-Benz 600 SEL
1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
2012 Arctic Cat XF1100 Turbo
2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R (ZZR1400)
Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Banned

Yes, those last two videos are good too.

Ernest Hemingway said that "There are only three sports- bull fighting, mountaineering, and motor racing. The rest are merely games."

His point is, that it's not a sport if there isn't the very real chance of it killing you.

That is the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy. 200+ mph top speeds, on production-based motorcycles. 170 mph wheelies, jumps, and slides on the throttle. Zero runoff.

And when I say "Zero runoff", I mean zero runoff. It is not unusual for the racers to come back in with the paint from the side of some building in the town of Kirk Michael, on the shoulder of their leathers and/or the side of their helmet.

We're talking "Big-boy rules" (get it wrong, go home in a box).

Last edited by ZTR; 12-24-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Many/most of the GP riders are too scared to race the TT. I like John McGuiness, he wins in multiple classes.
Actually it is their employers who forbid it.

It makes no sense for somebody to write a 50-million dollar check to somebody, and then run the very real risk of having him turn into a road stain on some country road on a little island between England and Ireland.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:20 AM
Banned

Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
I'd love to race there. Not even close to the level of these guys but it would be fun to try it.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
I'd love to race there. Not even close to the level of these guys but it would be fun to try it.
I think you can lease race bikes over there. Just ship your shock and forks over ahead of time, so that you can use them on your rent-a-racer.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR View Post
I think you can lease race bikes over there. Just ship your shock and forks over ahead of time, so that you can use them on your rent-a-racer.
I'd definitely want my own bike set up specifically for that track. At that place you better know your bike like the back of your hand. They do permit pleasure rides around the track but that doesn't sound like much fun, kinda like going for a scenic ride in an F1 car.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: Two 1987 325i, 418K, 211K
There could be a special chapter of Darwin Awards there.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
I'd definitely want my own bike set up specifically for that track. At that place you better know your bike like the back of your hand.
That's why you bring your own suspension.

Quote:
They do permit pleasure rides around the track but that doesn't sound like much fun, kinda like going for a scenic ride in an F1 car.
That's "Mad Sunday".

Mrs. ZTR wants me to take her there in 2016 for the TT. We're planning on renting a house trackside with a few other couples for a week or two.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Unhappy IOM TT info.

I have been many times before moving to the USA. Every bike race fan should experience The Island at least once.

"They do permit pleasure rides around the track but that doesn't sound like much fun, kinda like going for a scenic ride in an F1 car".

Not so Sir. Mad Sunday allows using the track, one way in the mountains with no speed limit.
I got pulled over in 1985 by a radar gun equipped cop who radioed ahead and another cop waved me/us down and politely asked me/us to slow down. I was getting into it with a Ducati 900 rider up at The Bungalow on the mountain, so we want back to Douglas and had a beer together. The cop "got us" at 156. The fastest "stop" in '85 was a guy on a GSX 750R who got a written warning for 170mph. He received a bottle of scotch as a gift at Summerland from the band Dumpy's Rusty Nuts for getting the fastest documented stop by police. Incidentally when not race week and unrestricted, the area he was stopped in sported a 40mph limit. The IOM is not a Nanny State and people who go there know the risks and accept them, whether racers or spectators. There are no safety barriers outside of sandbags around the lamposts in most areas. People do die there and many race crashes do not have happy endings. It is not the place to be on a 750 cruiser with highway pegs. Apart from being a bit of a joke, it is just plain unsafe to not have a bike that handles and stops well on those roads, especially when on the mountain crossing wet metal tram tracks. Fortunately most of them stay in town chasing the wet T-shirt events.

If you are planning on going, I'd recommend staying in Douglas (The Edelweiss Hotel was where we used to stay. Great place if still in business) and walking at night. You can ride out to a pub and just sit and watch the race with a Guinness in hand as the races generally start at 1000. Alternatively, you can huddle up in a blanket up on the mountain in a hole (yes....they have dug holes to stay out of the wind and rent blankets) and drink hot chocolate and bad burgers from a roach-coach van. There are viewing points all around the track at places like Governors Bridge, Creg-Ny-Baa or if you just want to watch a blur of color shoot by at 200, The Highlander Straight. It is cheaper to stay out in Port Erin, but a long ride home at night from downtown Douglas. It is also rather damp and cold on the back roads, but beautiful countryside. Nice beaches there though.

Have fun if you go, but be prepared for gas to cost a fortune. Last time I was in the UK in 2007, gas was $11.00 gallon - This is NOT a misprint. The IOM has a captive audience and milk it. Many residents rent out their front gardens for tents and offer breakfast and bathroom facilities. Cheap but effective if you can find out who does this.
We used to mail clothes ahead in a sturdy cardboard box to the hotel and ride there wearing just our riding gear leathers and sleep on Steam Packet ferry, leaving Liverpool late at night and arriving in Douglas in time for breakfast places to open. If you do take a bike on the ferry they want the gas tank to be empty and if not, will gladly empty it for you.
Have fun. I just wish I could take my old Buell (sold two months ago) there, but at my age now, they'd put me in a museum.