Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Average cost of raising a child hits $245,000 (and $455,000 for NE)

Congratulations to those of us that have kids. You can go 2 for $900,000

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/averag...123100179.html

Quote:
New parents be warned: It could cost nearly a quarter of a million dollars to raise your child -- and that's not even including the cost of college.

To raise a child born in 2013 to the age of 18, it will cost a middle-income couple just over $245,000, according to newly released estimates from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's up $4,260, or almost 2%, from the year before.

Estimates can vary widely depending on where you live and how much you earn.

High-income families who live in the urban Northeast, for example, are projected to spend nearly $455,000 to raise their child to the age of 18, while low-income rural families will spend much less, an estimated $145,500, according to the report.

The figures are based on the cost of housing, food, transportation, clothing, health care, education, child care and miscellaneous expenses, like haircuts and cell phones. But the estimates don't include the cost of college -- a big-ticket expense that keeps rising.

In 2012, center-based care for one infant was greater than median rent payments in nearly half of the states, according to Child Care Aware of America's most recent report.

Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
I wonder about how they calculate this. I am at the high end of the projection with a high income and a 4.5 yo. They seem to account for $10k plus per year for housing, but I am in the same house as I would be without the child, so wouldn't count that as paying more. That reduces the $400k + by $150k or so.
Right now she is worth it, I hope I still feel that way when she hits puberty....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Right now she is worth it, I hope I still feel that way when she hits puberty....
You don't have to wait till then to wonder. Just wait till she utters those little words... "Daddy, I wanna play competitive soccer."

Holy sh!t! I had no idea. But, she's having a blast and it was 100% her idea to move from church league (~$55 yr) to this craziness: Well in excess of $1K. I didn't even know 10 yr old kids PLAYED in competitive sport leagues!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Good grief. ... Couldn't imagine that kind of expense (bless my patents).

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
You don't have to wait till then to wonder. Just wait till she utters those little words... "Daddy, I wanna play competitive soccer."

Holy sh!t! I had no idea. But, she's having a blast and it was 100% her idea to move from church league (~$55 yr) to this craziness: Well in excess of $1K. I didn't even know 10 yr old kids PLAYED in competitive sport leagues!
And this is why I drive a 330, and not an M3...

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 08-19-2014, 12:35 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:

Just pray you never hear "Daddy, I want to go to private (high) school".

Four years of that is somewhere north of a new ///M5. And only THEN do the college bills kick in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:56 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Good grief. ... Couldn't imagine that kind of expense (bless my patents).

I hear ya and this is why we both do not have children. BTW...if you put your kids through private school and college then those figures cited here are quite low.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 08-19-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post

Four years of that is somewhere north of a new ///M5. And only THEN do the college bills kick in.
Ditto. I think back to what my parents paid for my schooling (I went to private school from K-12) and college and I wonder how the heck they could afford me. It was a lot of money and if you are raising kids now it makes what my parents spent look like chump change.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Ha - private school! The cost of day care for 3-4 year olds is around $2K/month around us. My nieghbor's son costs that much - and he has 2 kids. I'm scared of the moment I have to get my kid there. Worse - there's like a year waiting list for all of them.
Kindergarten - at the cost of college education these days $455K over 18 years - easily
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Ditto. I think back to what my parents paid for my schooling (I went to private school from K-12) and college and I wonder how the heck they could afford me. It was a lot of money and if you are raising kids now it makes what my parents spent look like chump change.

Yah, we are doing private k-12 with the little girl. Then college, too. Maybe even grad school. I expect her to work in college and grads, but she won't be able to pay that much. That could easily hit $400k right there, not to mention the toys...
Hopefully she will be ok driving a 12 yo 328xd....
Oh, well... She is my retirement plan, so I better set her up well!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Yah, we are doing private k-12 with the little girl. Then college, too. Maybe even grad school. I expect her to work in college and grads, but she won't be able to pay that much. That could easily hit $400k right there, not to mention the toys...
Hopefully she will be ok driving a 12 yo 328xd....
Oh, well... She is my retirement plan, so I better set her up well!

wishful thinking. You will end up paying for your grandchildren education and toys.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
wishful thinking. You will end up paying for your grandchildren education and toys.

Sigh, in this day and age, I may be supporting her quite a while. We are building a home with an apartment for her, as she will need it. Grandma gets it until then, and if she doesn't need it, I can rent it and maybe, just maybe retire. I don't have high hopes for the employability of future generations.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:

I'll deal with the college bills, but we bought the last 2 houses largely because of the school districts..... if they wanna go to private high school, they can (both) find a way to pay for it themselves

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

I dunno where all of this paying for kid's college talk comes from. Our plan is to retire and do so comfortably. My child can pay for her college the way I did. She will be infinitely more qualified to take out a loan and get an on campus work study than I will be to take a chunk from our nest egg every year.

While I hold the same thoughts about our future generations' employment opportunities, our adult child will approach the job market with the added motivation of bills to pay and moving away to do. It is only after those efforts return either under-employment or a solid choice in her chosen path that we will consider 'helping' her, however slowly make loan payments.

Of course, this is what we're telling her now and what we'll tell her then. The reality of our efforts may be different, but the very real message is that responsibility for education is on her shoulders. Make solid all-around efforts in prep school (private) and get the best deal for undergrad. Consider JuCo for 101 classes at 80% less than 4 year hours. Use loans and work study to close the gap. We're not going anywhere (on purpose), but the nest is decidedly less velvet once you're out of high school (she'll be 19 that year).

Last edited by PropellerHead; 08-20-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I dunno where all of this paying for kid's college talk comes from. Our plan is to retire and do so comfortably. My child can pay for her college the way I did. She will be infinitely more qualified to take out a loan and get an on campus work study than I will be to take a chunk from our nest egg every year.

While I hold the same thoughts about our future generations' employment opportunities, our adult child will approach the job market with the added motivation of bills to pay and moving away to do. It is only after those efforts return either under-employment or a solid choice in her chosen path that we will consider 'helping' her, however slowly make loan payments.

Of course, this is what we're telling her now and what we'll tell her then. The reality of our efforts may be different, but the very real message is that responsibility for education is on her shoulders. Make solid all-around efforts in prep school (private) and get the best deal for undergrad. Consider JuCo for 101 classes at 80% less than 4 year hours. Use loans and work study to close the gap. We're not going anywhere (on purpose), but the nest is decidedly less velvet once you're out of high school (she'll be 19 that year).

I agree with you. I expect her to work her way through college and make some financial decisions regarding affordable education. I don't know what the world will be like in another 14 years, but right now these costs are so high as to be disabling, so if I can I will help such that she is only saddled with manageable dept. But yes, I expect her to be responsible.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I hear ya and this is why we both do not have children. BTW...if you put your kids through private school and college then those figures cited here are quite low.
I just can't wrap my head around it. When I hear coworkers talk about heir kids I cringe- not that I'm sure it's not a great experience, but I don't know how these people are ever going to be able to retire. Hubby and I are both in our 30s- we are finally financially stable and getting comfortable (at least managing everything appropriately) I could not imagine adding a kid to the mix.

That being said I think we spend as much on our dogs as some people spend on their kids. Ha!

I'm fortunate that my parents paid for private school, new cars, my rent/helped me buy first place, all of undergrad, etc. (I worked part time, made good grades and went to college at 16). The sacrifices they made are mind blowing. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to retire by mid 60s if then...

My mother said if she could do it all over again they would have not had a child.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Life is as rough as you make it sometimes....

Some people stress themselves out thinking about paying for college for their kids before the kids are even born.

Some parents say "you're on your own kid"

The "you're on your own kid" is a dangerous one... you can advise your kids on how to proceed with caution or you can do what my in laws did with my wife when she went off to college and just sign any and every piece of paper within reach that had to do with borrowing money, leaving your kid in a hole for years to come.

We will not be going that route with my children...

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
My mother said if she could do it all over again they would have not had a child.
Ouch!

In the other hand, if I have to work until 70 but get to do it while I watch my child become a responsible adult (like you) who is contributing well to the world, I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Ouch!

In the other hand, if I have to work until 70 but get to do it while I watch my child become a responsible adult (like you) who is contributing well to the world, I wouldn't hesitate.

I think Sandy's mom said that because Sandy is "special" and I am sure raising Sandy was an experience in and of itself (I'm just giving you a hard time Sandy ).

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
... just sign any and every piece of paper within reach that had to do with borrowing money, leaving your kid in a hole for years to come.

Me either.

The game has changed since I graduated from college (20 years ago). The cost of tuition has risen dramatically, and I (personally) think it's irresponsible to expect kids to shoulder than kind of crushing debt load straight out of college. Moreso in an iffy economy with limited prospects.

I think it's even more irresponsible for colleges to extort students/parents and the US Fed Govt to supply the loans further enabling them. Stop building TajMahal campuses and cut back on some of the extravagance. Better yet, cut off the money supply and watch tuition drop like a stone. But that's another debate for another day.

My parents ensured I had some skin in the tuition game; if I produced the grades, the tuition got paid. If I didn't, I had to fund it myself. Didn't take long to figure out that incentive scheme. My employer funded my MBA, I paid the federal tax.

As an aside, I cannot imagine a parent telling their own child that they'd "opt out" if they had to do it over again. How incredibly sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
I just can't wrap my head around it. When I hear coworkers talk about heir kids I cringe- not that I'm sure it's not a great experience, but I don't know how these people are ever going to be able to retire. Hubby and I are both in our 30s- we are finally financially stable and getting comfortable (at least managing everything appropriately) I could not imagine adding a kid to the mix.

That being said I think we spend as much on our dogs as some people spend on their kids. Ha!

I'm fortunate that my parents paid for private school, new cars, my rent/helped me buy first place, all of undergrad, etc. (I worked part time, made good grades and went to college at 16). The sacrifices they made are mind blowing. Unfortunately, they will be lucky to retire by mid 60s if then...

Well, that's mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Life is as rough as you make it sometimes....

Some people stress themselves out thinking about paying for college for their kids before the kids are even born.

Some parents say "you're on your own kid"

The "you're on your own kid" is a dangerous one... you can advise your kids on how to proceed with caution or you can do what my in laws did with my wife when she went off to college and just sign any and every piece of paper within reach that had to do with borrowing money, leaving your kid in a hole for years to come.

Not everyone can or should go to a private, ivy league, education. If you can hit a state school with good reputation in your chosen field, do well, and get out with minimal debt, you can be as well off, or even better, than paying the big bucks.

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 08-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K View Post
Not everyone can or should go to a private, ivy league, education. If you can hit a state school with good reputation in your chosen field, do well, and get out with minimal debt, you can be as well off, or even better, than paying the big bucks.
+1

It's all about what you make of yourself. Graduating from a top school doesn't mean anything if you didn't take the opportunity to network while you were there and learn something applicable and desirable to the industry where you seek work.

I'm proud to be a Purdue graduate - even more so given their recent actions to freeze tuition for the next 3 years. My wife recently graduated PA school and with that brought about $140k in student loan debt with some of the notes bearing a interest rate of 7% (talk about robbery). We've made a few large pre-payments that will save $20k in interest alone.

By all means, if you have the money to pay for tuition up front do it. When we decide to have kids our plan is to pay cash for college, and each for each semester they make the dean's list, they won't have to pay us back. Rather than paying interest into "deep pockets", the opportunity cost is transitioned into larger retirement investments at an earlier age for them.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter
Old 08-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
As an aside, I cannot imagine a parent telling their own child that they'd "opt out" if they had to do it over again. How incredibly sad.
My parents and I are very close. Not that she'd return me. I turned out to be a decent kid ...I just don't think she ever anticipated it being as difficult as it was. I was a sick little kid (nearly 2 months early will do that), and kind of a handful too. They made so many sacrifices for me and have asked for nothing in return...other than that I work hard and appreciate everything I'm given.

My mother and I both have "funny" personalities. We can be a little cold, I totally got what she meant by saying that.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
+1

It's all about what you make of yourself. Graduating from a top school doesn't mean anything if you didn't take the opportunity to network while you were there and learn something applicable and desirable to the industry where you seek work.

I'm proud to be a Purdue graduate - even more so given their recent actions to freeze tuition for the next 3 years. My wife recently graduated PA school and with that brought about $140k in student loan debt with some of the notes bearing a interest rate of 7% (talk about robbery). We've made a few large pre-payments that will save $20k in interest alone.

By all means, if you have the money to pay for tuition up front do it. When we decide to have kids our plan is to pay cash for college, and each for each semester they make the dean's list, they won't have to pay us back. Rather than paying interest into "deep pockets", the opportunity cost is transitioned into larger retirement investments at an earlier age for them.
Student loan interest rates are absurd. ...considering how hard it is to find a job these days, you'd think they'd be a little easier on students.

That's fantastic that you guys were able to throw a few lump sum payments in there so soften the blow!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I have to say that my children did not have any outstanding student loans in the end.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.