Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
Runners what do you think of vibram shoes?

Hi i am interested in buying a pair of vibram 5 finger shoes to run in because i have heard a lot of good things about them. Also they say its just the natural way of running when using them compared to expensive running brand shoes. Whats your opinion on vibram shoes. If you own a pair please say something.

Thanks,

Gregg

"No matter how much it hurts or how dark it gets or how hard you fall you are never out of the fight!" ML
Ads by Google
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
I don't own any but their record for honesty and integrity leaves much to be desired.

Link

Quote:
Valerie Bezdek brought the class action suit against Vibram in March 2012. She filed her complaint in Massachusetts, the state where Vibram's U.S. headquarters are located. Bezdek alleged that Vibram deceived consumers by advertising that the footwear could reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles, without basing those assertions on any scientific merit. "The gist of her claim is that Vibram illegally obtained an economic windfall from her because it was only by making false health claims that Vibram induced consumers to buy FiveFingers shoes, and to pay more for them than they would have otherwise," Harvard Law School professor, John C. P. Goldberg, told Runner's World at the time of the original filing. Subsequent class action suits were filed against Vibram in California and Illinois, and those were absorbed into Bezdek's case.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Well I can tell ya about vibram is prolly the best I'm an ironworker and ive always worn flat-sole vibram irishsetters moctoes don't know how they would be for running but there great for walking and climbing iron :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-20-2014, 02:46 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I'm not a runner, but my classic Timberland 3-Eye Classic Lug Shoes has vibram sole. Does that count? And, I know search and rescue teams cut a certain lug so their foot print can be identified as one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pTBL1-7887766_alternate3_v275.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	459535  

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-20-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
My heel impacts WAY too hard for me to even think about trying those.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
minimalist runners had a day in the sun, but people in my area had a ton of injuries due to not breaking themselves in with the new shoes, so there are far fewer available now than 2 years ago. By "not breaking themselves in" I mean they put on the Vibrams (or any minimalist shoe) and tried to run their normal way, for their normal distance. Your foot has had different supports for x years, and you can't just take those away and try to do all the same stuff immediately. Several friends lost months of training from not being smarter about the transition and tweaking their feet.

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
^ None of that is really an indictment against the design or effectiveness of the Vibram shoes, rather the consequences of using them improperly.

Moreover, I read through the lawsuit information a few weeks ago and the plaintiff's assertion amounted to "yeah, but people need to know that if you step on a rock in these it's really going to hurt." The action wasn't about what the media made it out to be. The suit never went to trial - it settled, which is an important detail because had it gone to trial, and had Vibram lost, there would have been a challenging precedent against vitamin companies, home fitness equipment manufacturers, supplements, and anyone else whose product fails to deliver on its [vague] promises. Vibram merely decided, as usually happens, in these circumstances, that it would be less disruptive to pay for the legal action to go away than to continue with it. They neither won nor lost.

Anyway, the shoes. I have a pair. When I got them they were cool and different. I ran on a treadmill with them a few times; I don't like them as running shoes. They do make excellent weightlifting shoes, since they align the feet flat to the floor. They are also kind of fun to wear with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, although my toes hurt after a whole day wearing them and it really does hurt when I step on a rock.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 08-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
This was in the news while I was in Seattle for a little while this Summer:

Vibram Agrees to Settle Class Action Lawsuit
Quote:
Vibram USA, the company that makes FiveFingers running shoes, has agreed to settle a lawsuit that alleged the company made false and unsubstantiated claims about the health benefits of its glove-like footwear. According to the court filings, Vibram settled to put the matter to rest and avoid any additional legal expenses. “Vibram expressly denied and continues to deny any wrongdoing alleged in the Actions, and neither admits nor concedes any actual or potential fault, wrongdoing or liability,” read the court brief.

Valerie Bezdek brought the class action suit against Vibram in March 2012. She filed her complaint in Massachusetts, the state where Vibram’s U.S. headquarters are located. Bezdek alleged that Vibram deceived consumers by advertising that the footwear could reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles, without basing those assertions on any scientific merit. “The gist of her claim is that Vibram illegally obtained an economic windfall from her because it was only by making false health claims that Vibram induced consumers to buy FiveFingers shoes, and to pay more for them than they would have otherwise,” Harvard Law School professor, John C. P. Goldberg, told Runner’s World at the time of the original filing. Subsequent class action suits were filed against Vibram in California and Illinois, and those were absorbed into Bezdek’s case.

The settlement consists of two kinds of relief. The first is refunds to class members who submit valid and completed claim forms. Vibram will deposit $3.75 million into an escrow account and those funds will be distributed to those valid class members who purchased a pair of Vibram FiveFingers between March 21, 2009 and the date of the first dissemination of summary settlement notice or class notice, whichever is earlier. FiveFingers will award up to a maximum of $94 per pair, though the agreement acknowledges that based on similar settlements it is reasonable for class members to expect to receive between $20 and $50 per pair.

Class members can submit a claim for up to two pairs of shoes without any kind of receipt or proof of purchase. (However, FiveFingers can request a verification of purchase should they decide to do so in an effort to prevent against possible fraud.) Anyone who seeks to recover payment on more than two pairs of footwear must submit both a valid claim form and proof of purchase.

If any portion of the $3.75 million remains after the claim payments have been distributed and all administrative and legal costs have been paid, the balance will be donated to the American Heart Association for research on the health benefits of running.

For the second part of the settlement, Vibram has agreed to discontinue to make any claims that FiveFingers footwear is effective in strengthening muscles or reducing injury in its marketing and advertising campaigns, unless the company discovers new scientific evidence that proves it.

Vibam is required to establish a website, www.fivefingerssettlement.com, to inform class members of the terms of the agreement. The company is also required to post banner ads with the settlement information on a number of websites, including runnersworld.com and Facebook.com, in order to deliver approximately 300,000,000 impressions.

Per the court agreement, the attorneys for the class members can receive up to 25% of the $3.75 million settlement, or $937,500. Vibram must pay up to an additional $70,000 of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the plaintiff’s counsel in relation to this case.

It was never disclosed if Bezdek, who filed her suit roughly one year after purchasing her pair of Vibram Bikilas, tried to first seek a refund for her FiveFingers prior to initiating the lawsuit.

Was suing a logical or over-the-top reaction for a product that didn’t perform as advertised? Will the suit help to better police a corporation or does it leave consumers not responsible for applying common sense to a marketing boast that sounded too good to be true? Janine Pollack, the lead attorney for the plantiffs, did not respond to questions about Bezdek’s motivation to bring the lawsuit. Christopher Morrison, the lead attorney for the defendant, declined to comment. Vibram USA did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
I have a pair I kick around in. ...but I have never run more than 2 miles in them. All of my marathons (many 26.2 and a few ultras) have been in Asics or Saucony for road and Saucony or inov8 for trail.

I have a few friends that run in their 5fingers, but they took their time working up their distance and have been smart with their training.

I run w orthotics in my shoes- no way I'd mess with running far in the five fingers, but that's just me...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: X3
the fingered shoes are one of the worst things for your feet.
i got these and love them, but if you are used to regular running shoes your feet will hurt quickly after running in these on sidewalk in the beginning may even injure yourself if you are heel striker

Last edited by nightmareuki; Today at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
My heel impacts WAY too hard for me to even think about trying those.
you're not running right.
but seriously, try running barefoot on grass quickly to make sure you run properly.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
The only thing I know about Vibram, is that they make the best workboot soles available.
I wouldn't buy a pair of boots that don't have Vibram soles.

FWIW: The company is named after its founder, Vitale Bramani.

Last edited by Paul335i; 08-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM
I'm an agent of chaos

Send a message via AIM to phoenixreborn
Mein Auto: '02 530i
I'm very happy with my vibrams. I've used them for rock climbing, free running, and sprinting. With rock climbing I have no complaints at all and they've helped me quite a bit. Some more experienced climbers tell me they've had trouble using them for more advanced techniques. As for free running I've found them to be very useful for a variety of stunts especially wall jumps/runs. The biggest issue I've had with free running with vibrams is landing high jumps. Landing on unexpected terrain like rocks or debris usually results in some kind of foot injury, usually mild bruising. I've had no issues using them for sprinting. I sae give 'em a try.

Quote:
How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death

Old 08-20-2014, 03:20 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I'm a big fan. Running with them is extremely efficient exercise for me. Even if you're an experienced runner, you shouldn't go past a quarter mile your first time. And add on quarter miles in increments.

I for one believe running with them does strengthen both the feet and particularly the calves. Run with them long enough, you get this demarcated muscle line thingy going down the side of your leg.

I am no longer running because I feel I'm getting plenty of exercise with other activities.

When you first start running with them, you will notice that your head becomes so much more still. Your gait starts to immediately adjust so that impact is minimized. Your feet are loaded with nerves, as it is with face, hands, genitalia.

Minimalist style runners often believe that extra cushioning actually creates more impact. The idea being that runners will instinctively adjust for extra efficiency. You will push off when you think you have greatest efficiency. With cushioning, you have to fully compress it to push off efficiently. Therefore you are adjusting by striking down harder to know when compression has been met, to push off again. Barefoot/minimalist, as soon as your foot just touches the ground with its countless nerves, you much more immediately know when to push off again. It's almost like a non-stop continual weight transfer, like a dancer in a way, than it is strike and push. Therefore your calves will hate you if you don't listen to my quarter mile advice.

The ones I have are of the thinnest sole, but there are still choices with the upper design. I absolutely hated the Merrells I tried. When you try fully barefoot, the weight transfer thingy becomes even more adjusted, so that there is less chafing of the soles.

An entertaining read is Born to Run.
Old Today, 05:28 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
the fingered should are one of the worst things for your feet.
Ahh .... What?

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Ahh .... What?
lol fixed, damn phone
Old Today, 07:18 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
^ even still, that was a broad statement of opinion, in a controversial area, with nothing to support it. You clearly were not on the debate team.
Old Today, 08:19 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
If I didn't love my Newtons so much I'd give vibrams a try.
Old Today, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
As mentioned above you need to transition to a shoe like the Vibrum 5 fingers. Get a low or mid rise shoe and start there, a set of Newtons is a good place to start, but they're expensive. Go to a real running store and tell them you're interested in trying forefoot/midfoot running and they'll help you out. I highly recommend trying it.

Tim