Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Preppers: What's your wishlist for Armageddon?

Recently been chatting with our 24-year-old, and you know how they are. All doom and gloom, world is going to end, better get armed, blah, blah. Yada, Yada. So we're debating about staying in your house as the bombs are falling or trying to "head for the hills", and if you're picking one of those strategies, what would you want to have in order to survive? What's your expectation for how long you'd need to shelter in place or be on the run before you changed strategies?

Are you a prepper? If so, are you the "guns and ammo" type or the "veggies and little edible pets" type?

I was thinking that our house is pretty secluded, so we might not have to deal with nuclear blasts or fallout, but our food supply is limited to what's in the pantry and the random stray rodent. Assuming we don't eat our big fat lazy dog or the stupid little yippy dog or the cats.

Mmmm. Cats.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Overly Intellectual

Shopping on RV Trader for 4x4 RVs is fun. Just sayin.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Overly Intellectual

I guess I'll start off. Since the wife vetoed adding a bomb shelter in the back yard, I'm thinking we'll just hope that the house is defensible long enough to hold off one or two waves of wackos before we run low on food. Then we'd make our way to the RV storage and grab the RV, and head for someplace with water. Seeing as how we might not have running water for long, since the California Aquaduct would most likely be shut off until the reserviors filled again...

So maybe we'd trek to the Pacific Northwest at 6 mpg in the motorhome, negotiating for gas along the way with "shotgun diplomacy" or with the old 5kw generator to power the gas stations if the grid is down. That might make us really popular. Then when we reach the "promised land", we'd just need enough ammo to secure a claim.

So my wishlist in addition to what I've got now:

- Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG sniper rifle
- Heckler & Koch MP7
- Body armor for me and the wife and the kids
- 4x4 Armored RV with solar panels
- A really good water filtration system
- A geiger counter. Can you believe I don't have one already? With that Fukushima thing? The wife said that if I whipped one out at a sushi bar, she'd leave. Pffft. I doubt it.
- A bunch of those military MREs. I wonder if they have Chef Boyardee Ravioli ones. That would be cool.
- A cookbook for how to prep random rodents, roadkill, and household pets.
- A 3D printer to make spare parts for the guns.
- A half-ton of ammo.
- Maybe a bazooka or a minigun to mount on the RV.

Ok, your turn.

Last edited by mark_m5; Yesterday at 04:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
A big buffet of radioactive sushi and a fat syringe of heroin to wash it down and watch the fireworks until the lights go out.
Or is that what the 24yo would say?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
If you live in an urban area, you're gonna die either by bomb, disease, starvation, or zombies (aka hungry looters) so there's no point prepping much in those cases (beyond a way to make the end come quickly). If you're on the very fringes of a metropolitan area, you might stand a chance of making a run for it, if you react quick enough before people get hungry and you've got a sufficient fuel to make it to one of your bug out location. If you living a rural area, dig in and wait it out.

For a good list, read The 100 items to disappear first..
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; Yesterday at 05:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
So we're debating about staying in your house as the bombs are falling or trying to "head for the hills", and if you're picking one of those strategies, what would you want to have in order to survive?
For either of your two strategies, I've thoughts:

Local family members have a default meeting place in case of disaster. Arms are taken care of my brother. We would have enough food and water to last quite a while, it would be other people that would be the danger, I think.

However, I've taken a few primitive wilderness survival courses with my longtime close friend, and if ever I get anywhere remotely close to having his skill level, I would get the hell out of Dodge as he would.

Strategy 1, staying home:

If getting generator(s), I'd want stealth types. If anyone hears it, they know you've got fuel, which almost certainly means food and water too. Ideal would be diesel/biodiesel where you can make your own fuel, and then from there research the heck out of noise suppression solutions.

Then you might think of having a fleet of car batteries. Maybe subfloor or somewhere.

Also, a natural gas containment system. When I recently got my ham radio license, I learned of this feature, as the guy helping me choose my radios at the store has got such a thing. But he's not as crazy as his friend who can live off the grid for a half year.

Speaking of ham radio, the best solution would be satellite phones. Pricey, but that's the wtg. Handheld ham is dependent on repeater stations if not in very close proximity, and those stations will be inundated most certainly when the SHTF.

I once met a survival freak, who believes in redundancy. Not one sat phone, but two. Not one generator, but two. Etc. He never lets the fuel tank in any of his cars get below half. He and his daughter go out for fun, making bow drill fires, eating MREs and crazy stuff like that. His friend designed a wearable backpack that acts as second fuel tank for when riding his motorcycle. Collectively, they have ridiculous arms or perhaps even armaments.

Strategy 2, heading for the hills:

My survival courses have been rather mind-blowing. I still don't know enough to live indefinitely in the wild yet. Anyway, some of the things I've gleaned from my friend have been rather surprising. He could go out there with nothing, not even clothes, and survive. I've seen the canoe he made from tule reeds. He knows how to track animals (which is so fascinating; for instance, to read cat tracks is to read superimposed tracks, as the rear paw steps where the front paw landed and compressed any grass/soil for max stealth). I've seen him locate an extremely well hidden red diamond rattlesnake within seconds, as he knew the local jays were not happy by the sounds they were making, located one, saw where it was looking, and found it. He said if it was class of youngsters, they would kill it and eat it on the spot.

To trap rodents, like a woodrat, he would set up snares at the top entrances. They like to build a "mansion" with the bottom floor being the restroom.

We sat at a fireant hole, and ate ants. There is a technique to pinching them, I failed once, and got bit for it. You constantly make a mental map, and know where you can come back to stop for little pit stops like that. Using the least amount of energy is always key.

Finding water is really hard. You start with vegetation, knowing which need to stay further away from water, or love being right in it. For instance, if you're among willow trees, you're probably damn close. Once you start seeing animal tracks, you can simply forget the vegetation from there, and focus on those.

Knives might be the most overrated tool you would bring from your home. Our knives were made by picking up rocks, and throwing them two handed against a boulder. A very sharp blade is rarely needed.

Nettle makes for good cordage. Mulefat is key for bow drills, hand drills, bows and arrows, I'm sure there's more.

What was eye opening were the answers he gave when asked what do you take from your home if had the choice. Nope, not a knife.

#1: Kleen Kanteen stainless steel water bottle. He would risk his life to obtain this. He knows how to make water containers, if he had too. You got a nice chunk of wood, start a fire, from which you take one ember, and let it burn into the top. You continue this process, until you've hollowed it out. Now you can put water in it, where you sterilize by placing red hot rocks that are preheated in the fire you made. All this freaking work for a cup of water. And make sure you don't spill any. With the stainless, it won't spill, it holds a lot of water, and you just stick it straight into the fire to sterilize.

#2: 550 paracord. He knows how to make his own cordage, his canoe, shelters he's made, food storage containers, he's very expert in making it. But there must be a reason he places this at #2, I'm not as informed as with #1. It's also great for trapping animals. Although he says birds are really hard to trap. What is also interesting to note is that if he's wearing shoes, they are always laced. More cordage. (I've seen some shoes he's made, but I honestly cannot recall if those were laced too.) He's impressed his young students by pulling the lace right out of the eyelets, with a drill in hand, boom fire. He would risk his life to obtain this.

#3 and #4 are probably tied I think. Cheap cement worker boots from Home Depot, or a nice felt hat. Sure feet and head protection are very important, but why more than pants, jacket, etc. Because they double as water carrying containers. Common theme. He would risk his life to obtain these.

I now realize I didn't talk about where you set up shelter spots. I won't get too into it now, but you have one for day, and one for night. Compass orientation plays a part, dependent on geography. Even if without real "shelter" location is so important. For night, you want a patch of land that has been baking in the sun all day long. You don't actually want too much cover, or animals will surprisingly run into you. Stay away from water, unless you love animals walking all over you all night.

Speaking of compass, he hates compasses because of how much declination can vary. When it is high noon (and account for daylight savings) on your watch, look at your own shadow and there's north. If you don't have a watch, put a stick upright in the soil, and continually measure the lengths of the shadows by placing little rocks at the ends of the shadows during the day. The shortest length is north.

I'm sure there's much more, I think it's been a couple of months since my last class. I was hoping to have one sometime during this week, but our schedules will not allow it.

edit: a little interesting tidbit, he made special mention of a fishing weight. He said it's just one of those things that you don't find in nature, nor is it easily made, a little innocent weight with an eyelet for cordage to go through.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; Yesterday at 07:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
We bought a tornado shelter. The installer dug a big hole in the back yard with a backhoe, placed sand and rock on the bottom then sat the shelter on top of that and filled in with dirt. We keep water, can goods, generator and a few other things down there for the next big storm. We're rural and about 10 miles from the nearest town.

The most realistic disaster scenario I envision is some terrorist group detonating a nuclear bomb in NY City. I don't think many people realize the full consequences of such an event. The terrorists could simply claim bombs are planted in other big cities and will be detonated if their demands are not met. People would flee the big cities and we'd face an economic collapse the likes of which has never been seen. Society as we know it would collapse.