Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Got a Go Pro Hero 3 for buying my GTI.

Having no wish to film my own demise, I plan on selling in on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gopro.png
Views:	37
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	450679  
Ads by Google
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
which edition?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
which edition?
Hero3+ Black Edition.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
You ever think of giving it a chance? It's a cool piece of kit... very versatile.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
sell it in your local craigslist.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: A car
what are you hoping to get for it?

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
If you got it for free then I would keep it to use to record while driving. An extra safety feature.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
330 Coupe Sold
Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Craigslist. Ebay fees suck. Just meet them at a starbucks near your work or home.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
If you got it for free then I would keep it to use to record while driving. An extra safety feature.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It goes both ways. It may show the imbecile cam owner driving carelessly. Then of course, he could erase it.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Got a recall notice today regarding front stabilizer bar links.
At least VW is proactive about safety issues compared to GM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
For the past 2 years, I was hell-bent on getting the Mk7 Golf TDI. And then VW took so damn long to get the line up and running in Puebla so I said "F it, VW lost a customer for dragging its feet" and ordered a Mazda3. The least they could have done is imported the Mk7 from Wolfsburg for a couple years until Puebla was ready.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
For the past 2 years, I was hell-bent on getting the Mk7 Golf TDI. And then VW took so damn long to get the line up and running in Puebla so I said "F it, VW lost a customer for dragging its feet" and ordered a Mazda3. The least they could have done is imported the Mk7 from Wolfsburg for a couple years until Puebla was ready.
Had a couple mazdas. Bulletproof. I beat the hell out of them and they just kept ticking. Liked my 2010 Mazda3 but it was not fast/comfortable enough for me.

Had a couple VWs... well I still like the idea of the GTI regardless.

Anyone want a 2013 328i with sport, manual and 15k miles on it? Still got one more year on the bloody lease and I never drive it.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Had a couple mazdas. Bulletproof. I beat the hell out of them and they just kept ticking. Liked my 2010 Mazda3 but it was not fast/comfortable enough for me.
The current Mazda3 (BM) has its share of quality issues and I am expecting reliability to be not much better than the current German cars my parents and I have (BMW and VW Tiguan) but that falls under "acceptable" reliability for me as I do not expect cars to last forever without maintenance or a dealer visit (or two). The automatic gearbox is merely average but the styling is quite good, as is the interior infotainment and driving dynamics. Most importantly, it meets my environmental requirements and offers things like ACC and City Brake Assistant which are important to me since I'm usually pushing the forefront of safety technology. I intend to keep it for 6-7 years (@ 35-40k km a year).

The thing with the Mk7 Golf in the Us/Canada is I hate driving watered-down cars. No EPB, red turn signals, and a torsion-beam rear suspension (TDI) would irritate me everyday, knowing that the rest of the world doesn't have these shortcomings.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
The current Mazda3 (BM) has its share of quality issues and I am expecting reliability to be not much better than the current German cars my parents and I have (BMW and VW Tiguan) but that falls under "acceptable" reliability for me as I do not expect cars to last forever without maintenance or a dealer visit (or two). The automatic gearbox is merely average but the styling is quite good, as is the interior infotainment and driving dynamics. Most importantly, it meets my environmental requirements and offers things like ACC and City Brake Assistant which are important to me since I'm usually pushing the forefront of safety technology. I intend to keep it for 6-7 years (@ 35-40k km a year).

The thing with the Mk7 Golf in the Us/Canada is I hate driving watered-down cars. No EPB, red turn signals, and a torsion-beam rear suspension (TDI) would irritate me everyday, knowing that the rest of the world doesn't have these shortcomings.
My 2010 Mazda 3 took a hellacious beating and never had a problem for me. Ditto my Protege ES. My BMWs... not so much - always problems from the factory. My VWs... oy vey. They just break sitting still.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
The launch had an ill-timed hiccup on Friday with a recall 2,001 of the 2015s that had been sold because for a steering issue. VW also told dealers they can't sell another 811 on their lots until they get the fix, which involves replacing potentially loose links that hold the stabilizer bar to the vehicle.

VW says it knows of no accidents related to the problem and says that dealers probably have fixed the cars on their lots by now or soon will, so it should not hit sales.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
The launch had an ill-timed hiccup on Friday with a recall 2,001 of the 2015s that had been sold because for a steering issue. VW also told dealers they can't sell another 811 on their lots until they get the fix, which involves replacing potentially loose links that hold the stabilizer bar to the vehicle.

VW says it knows of no accidents related to the problem and says that dealers probably have fixed the cars on their lots by now or soon will, so it should not hit sales.
Do you think that BMW's are immune from recalls?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Do you think that BMW's are immune from recalls?
Why did you take this information negatively? It has nothing to do with any sort of reliability, quality, or best brand comparison. It was just something I found. Your reply should have been, thank you.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-12-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Why did you take this information negatively? It has nothing to do with any sort of reliability, quality, or best brand comparison. It was just something I found. Your reply should have been, thank you.
Check the thread, I already knew about it.Therefore, my response isn't "thank You", but "F*** You". You're an A$$hole.

Last edited by Paul335i; 07-12-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Check the thread, I already knew about it.Therefore, my response isn't "thank You", but "F*** You". You're an A$$hole.
Happy now?

BMW to recall 1.6 million cars worldwide for airbag concerns. In fact, my car is affected.
The recall affects 3-Series vehicles produced between May 1999 and August 2006.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-16-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
My 2010 Mazda 3 took a hellacious beating and never had a problem for me. Ditto my Protege ES. My BMWs... not so much - always problems from the factory. My VWs... oy vey. They just break sitting still.
We will see. Of course, I just found out that the Mazda3 2.5 will be available with a manual starting 08/2014 production, this after my order is already on its way here. But that's life, right? Always something better the 2 moments after you make a decision.

My dad's 2013 Tiguan has been quite reliable, with only an errant TPMS light that was reset at the dealer for no charge. No rattles, and quite a good drive aside from a 6-speed automatic gearbox programmed by someone who isn't German nor drives in the mountains, because everyone else has the superior 7-DSG.

A couple magazines have long-term Mazda3s in their fleet and along with forum members, there are a lot a complaints about the MZD infotainment system crashing (think 2002 BMW iDrive....., and rattles from the dash. Mazda has done about 10 (!) firmware updates to try and rectify the former, but I'll see about this vaunted "Japanese reliability" when I get the vehicle and start putting some kms on it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
We will see. Of course, I just found out that the Mazda3 2.5 will be available with a manual starting 08/2014 production, this after my order is already on its way here. But that's life, right? Always something better the 2 moments after you make a decision.

My dad's 2013 Tiguan has been quite reliable, with only an errant TPMS light that was reset at the dealer for no charge. No rattles, and quite a good drive aside from a 6-speed automatic gearbox programmed by someone who isn't German nor drives in the mountains, because everyone else has the superior 7-DSG.

A couple magazines have long-term Mazda3s in their fleet and along with forum members, there are a lot a complaints about the MZD infotainment system crashing (think 2002 BMW iDrive....., and rattles from the dash. Mazda has done about 10 (!) firmware updates to try and rectify the former, but I'll see about this vaunted "Japanese reliability" when I get the vehicle and start putting some kms on it.
I don't consider problems with any infotainment system to be a reflection on a car's reliability any more than a rough ride with RFTs was a design flaw (one reason I hate JD Power is that they confuse real mechanical issues with driver preference isses). That's just bad software but then again most software sucks. I've had many BMWs with iDrive (including a Navi-equipped car where the iDrive would go blank for days or my current 328i where the iDrive stops working for a few hours every few months). Shrug. That's software and having worked in the software industry for the last 15 years, I expect that to happen. Shocked if it didn't.

Now mechanically... my BMWs, Audis and VWs... yikes.