Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Does your city have the worst drivers?

15 cities with the worst drivers

Quote:
If you're a Massachusetts resident, congratulations! You're living among the worst drivers in the nation, according to a new report.

That's right: Three places in the Bay State -- Worcester, Boston and Springfield -- hold spots at or near the top of a list of unsafe cities as determined by Allstate Insurance. Each year, the company ranks the 200 largest cities in the U.S. by car collision frequency.

Allstate says a driver in Worcester -- which has the worst drivers overall -- is likely to have a collision every 4.3 years, compared with once every 14.2 years in Fort Collins, Colorado, the city at the opposite end of the ranking. Fort Collins has claimed the title as the safest place for drivers in four out of the 10 years that the report has been around.

The study also factors in population, population density and precipitation to separate the good drivers from the bad.

"A big part of our job at Allstate is to help our customers prevent bad things from happening," Mike Roche, executive vice president of claims for Allstate, says in a statement. "With that in mind, our actuaries reviewed millions of records to develop this year's report, which presents new data to equip them with better driving awareness tools."

The report includes an interactive map showing all 200 cities. Allstate says its auto policies represent nearly 10 percent of the U.S. auto insurance market, making its report a "realistic snapshot" of the current situation on America's roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worst.PNG
Views:	473
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	461205  
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
I can attest to the idiocy in L.A.. I hate driving there.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
How is the Tampa Bay Area not on this list? ::amazed::

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
The report includes an interactive map showing all 200 cities. Allstate says its auto policies represent nearly 10 percent of the U.S. auto insurance market, making its report a "realistic snapshot" of the current situation on America's roads. ]
Not sure that I'm buying into this. As an example, if State Farm is big in Illinois - they may see Chicago as 5.5 years, where Allstate doesn't have as many clients to pull info from. Having the math major background (with my EET), I'm not much into the probability of statistics.

Yes - my city is on the list (14), and can see some aspects of this holding true, such as the major hills, blind turns, and the fact our city is built on a triangle. But I see far worse drivers in other cities.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
2008 BMW 335xi
2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible
2011 Ford Edge Limited
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: Car with 4 wheels
#10 - but I would imagine us to be up a little higher.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Automobile insurers, whose goal is to minimize their liabilities, establish insurance rates through trend analysis. An insurance company think if that driver will get into an accident, the higher the rate. Worst drivers have the highest rate. The question is which city has the highest average rate.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 08-31-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I don't understand the obsession with "X Y and Z state has the worst driver" - Americans love this for some reason.

I have lived in 3 U.S. States. One was MA - I lived right outside Springfield and I would drive to Boston through Worcester almost monthly. I just recently drove through SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, DC, NJ, NY, MA & CT ........ twice.

The fact is ..... no U.S. state has a drivers ed exam that even comes close to requiring you to be an aware and competent driver..... between 80 and 90% of all drivers in all states are terrible and it will always be that way until someone decides to change the exam to require you to demonstrate that you are a good aware driver....... but we can't do that now can we? That would be like requiring old people to prove that they can still drive every couple of years - better to take the "If we ignore it, the problem will go away" approach.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
I can attest to the idiocy in L.A.. I hate driving there.
No shortage of finger happy people in L.A.
I believe each country and city has its bad and good drivers. China and Taiwan have no shortage of bad drivers and I believe Saudi Arabia ranked the worst with the highest death tolls.

Japan is probably one of my favorite for driver courtesy and Germany second for freeway driver courtesy.

US has great drivers and courteous ones in parking malls and around your neighborhood.

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Last night I'm stopped at a red light, traffic has caused gridlock such that cars in front of me are blocking a large intersecting street which did not have traffic. When their light turned green (seconds after a woman finished crossing the street) the one car waiting accelerates at full throttle into the cars blocking the intersection. The enraged man gets out of his car screaming "THAT'S WHAT YOU FKING GET!!!!!" over and over again. When our light turned green I had to try REALLY hard not to just run him over and say the same thing. My blood was boiling. Then I stopped and thought, is this really what life has come to? Why is driving so frustrating????? Welcome to boston I guess
Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
Last night I'm stopped at a red light, traffic has caused gridlock such that cars in front of me are blocking a large intersecting street which did not have traffic. When their light turned green (seconds after a woman finished crossing the street) the one car waiting accelerates at full throttle into the cars blocking the intersection. The enraged man gets out of his car screaming "THAT'S WHAT YOU FKING GET!!!!!" over and over again. When our light turned green I had to try REALLY hard not to just run him over and say the same thing. My blood was boiling. Then I stopped and thought, is this really what life has come to? Why is driving so frustrating????? Welcome to boston I guess
When you say "accelerates at full throttle into", does that mean he actually smashed into the cars? If so, he's legally liable for the damage...
Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
When you say "accelerates at full throttle into", does that mean he actually smashed into the cars? If so, he's legally liable for the damage...
Yes, it was totally unbelievable. There wasn't enough room for him to accelerate to cause too much damage, but he hit two cars. I'm not sure if he thought he could fit between them or what, but he smashed in between them and it was like he was trying to push them apart!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
Yes, it was totally unbelievable. There wasn't enough room for him to accelerate to cause too much damage, but he hit two cars. I'm not sure if he thought he could fit between them or what, but he smashed in between them and it was like he was trying to push them apart!
Wow. The man snapped.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: German
Why am I not surprised by this list at all...

Boston lives up to its #2 reputation
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
In boston driving is blood sport. Glad that I owned a POS when I lived there. I would never own a BMW in that city.

My theory is that since there is nothing remotely resembling a grid and getting anywhere is such a giant frustrating pain in the @ss that everyone's nerves are shot.

"You can't get there from here" is the city's unofficial motto

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878

Last edited by 3ismagic#; 09-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
In boston driving is blood sport. Glad that I owned a POS when I lived there. I would never own a BMW in that city.
Lol, I don't drive my X5 often. If it's quick trips, I usually just take Zipcar. Much easier and it's not my car getting beat on.