Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3
Z3 Water on passenger floor after washing?

I have a 99 Z3. The water is next to the tunnel. I did see some water drops on the carpet. Does anyone have a solution. I cleaned the AC drains. But it appears the water only leaks when I wash the car. It hasn't been in the rain to test it then.
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
Need a better description of exactly where the water is at....... sit in it and have someone spray a water hose on it....... sounds like your top to windshield seal may need adjusted
Old 05-30-2010, 04:22 AM

We sprayed around all of the top seals and found no leaks. I believe it is coming from under the dash. The water is always in the left front corner of the passenger side.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
How about checking the area where your A/C lines come through the firewall
Old 05-30-2010, 06:09 AM

I cleaned them last week. We have not used the AC this week the car sat in the garage all week. By the way those drains are hard to reach!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
I'm refering to a possible leak in the seal where the hard lines come through.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 AM
tire consumer

Mein Auto: 99 z3c
I've noticed a somewhat similar leak but I'm not sure of a solution. It should be noted that I have a coupe and the leak is on the driver's side, a little forward of where my knees would be.

It only happens when I wash the car and it seems as though water is either draining through the door and then out the bottom of the door and into the cabin. Or, that the seal is not perfect on the bottom of the door and it is allowing water in. It is not a lot of water, in my case, only allowing in a tablespoon or two. Of course, I'd rather no leak whatsoever.

Question, is the entire door seal also a channel?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Mine is quite a bit of water, enough to use a wet dry vac on. I will attempt to check the hard lines on the AC.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:23 AM

I think Greyish is more on track
Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM

I think I found the leak. Water appears to be leaking between the shroud and the windshield into the blower. My ac drains may still be plugged will have to check them again. Will post more when I water test.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White 1998 Z3 2.8L
I had a leak on floor about a month after I bought my Z3 last year. I couldn't find a spot from a leak anywhere. However, the sponge-like material under seats had absorbed about two inches of water. I recommend taking your seats out and pulling up the interior a bit to make sure that there isn't a bunch of water, hidden, underneath. If there is water, take a shop vac to it. If I hadn't taken it apart, I would have never known. It is a pain to do, but well worth it.

I later found that the leak was coming from a bad seal over the drivers door.

My 1998 Alpine White Z3 2.8L
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Did you check the rubber gasket at the BOTTOM of the door?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM

I found the leak! I was told by a BMW mechanic that the drain for the shroud cover may be plugged. I ran water down the window and checked the drain and water was draining but he leak remained. The next day I ran water directly into the shroud vents and attempted to locate the leak, but the leak had stopped?? I then ran water down the window and the leak appeared again. I removed the shroud and inspected the window seal which appeared ok. I suspected that the water was running down the window under the shroud into the blower then out on the floor. I went to the BMW parts window to get the material on the shroud that sealed the shroud to the window and discussed the problem with two mechanics. They said the rubber strip (called Dum Dum?) was not for sealing and that it had to be the window leaking. I went by the local Auto Zone and got window sealant and some Dum Dum just in case. I then returned and covered the blower with a garbage bag and flooded around the window with a water hose, no leak. I flooded all around the window with the hose fully open and still no leak. I then decided to seal the window, replace the Dum Dum and hope for the best. I removed the garbage bag from around the blower and prepared to seal everything up. I decided to test my first theory by pouring a small amount of water down the window above the blower. In seconds the leak returned. My first theory was right. I sealed the bottom of the window since I had the sealant and replaced the Dum Dum. After a 24 hour cure and one washing and two rains there has been no leak. I still believe that my AC drains are partially plugged which contributed to the water not running out but it still cannot be good having rain water flowing into the blower. The repair was quick and cheap. The only issue may be removing the wiper arms, the BMW mechanics seemed surprised mine came off with no problems. I hope this write up helps. It took me almost a month to solve this problem.

Last edited by Drw911; 06-07-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the follow up