Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 99 m3
vanos question. and spark plugs?

my question about my upcoming vanos repair is what are the difference in the two guides besian systems has in procedures http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm and
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
also, i'm going to be replacing the head gasket when doing this. what else needs to be changed and do i just get it from the dealership? and are the tools really necessary? if so, where could i rent them out from? i was thinking about how my car is 11 years old and has 130k miles on it i MIGHT AS WELL swap out new spark plugs while i'm doing this because it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult at this point. but what spark plugs should i get and use? will there be a difference? and has anybody heard anything about lucas injector cleaner my friend recommended it and so i'm planning on running that through my tank because what is there to lose right? but main questions bout head gasket, tools, and spark plugs. thnx
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
1.) New head bolts. MUST HAVE!. The bolts are torque to yield and are one time use. Bentley Repair Manual. Valve cover gasket and nut seals. Silicone gasket sealer for the valve cover gasket. ECS tuning? Pelican parts?
2.) Make a torque angle gauge. You are going to need it.
3.) You only need the tools if you want to do the job right...lol (that would be a yes. )
4) If it were me, I'd send the injectors out for service or see if you could exchange them for a serviced set.
5.)Spark plugs? Seriously? I would think so...lol RTFM for what plug to buy. Stay away from the 4 prong plugs. Iridium is a waste of $
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
We have the complete NA North American BMW Parts database LIVE and search able on our site:

Click HERE to for more information or to search a part!

Shoot us a PM and we'll get you squared away with everything you need! We what you'll need from spark plugs to valve cover gaskets, just let us know~!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 AM

thanks. i need to know what else needs to be replaced while doing this process head gasket or valve cover gasket and what exactly are head bolts
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 AM

If you are really asking what head bolts are, you probably shouldn't be doing this yourself. This is probably an 8 out of 10 on the "how hard is this to do" mechanical skills scale.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM

guys.....i just need to know wat else to replace while doing this procedure i.e. head gasket, etc. about the head bolts i was simply double checking to see if they are what i thought and also need to know if head gasket and valve cover gasket are the same or what is the deal with that but i guess i can't get a mature serious reply on these forums. now i would really appreciate some help for i'm sick of being worried about my injured car for such a while. thank you!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM

I did give you a mature serious answer. If you have to ask what's the difference between a head gasket and a valve cover gasket, you probably shouldn't be doing this. This is equivilent to major surgury on an expensive engine with a lot of expensive parts. There is a reason a shop will charge you close to $2000 to do this...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Agree with rrsperry...except I don't believe the head bolts at TTY and can be reused. If they were TTY they would have an angle specification which I don't believe they have (they have a 3 step torque specification).
Old 07-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Eh, yes they are TTY... IIRC, it's 22 lb-ft and 90deg + 90deg.