Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: M35 moving to 535
Navigation: no address entry by voice

Hopefully, my dealer wasn't familiar with the new BMW nav system in the 2011 535....so I am checking here.

He said that you can not enter an address using voice....you have to enter it manually. Is BMW that far behind on technology? I've had that feature on my M35 since 2006...just say the address. In fact, I bought a Garmin for my wife's car for $200 that has that function (and much more).

I will be buying a 2011 535 as soon as the dealers decide to discount.....but it sounds like I won't be getting the in-car navigation system.

Can someone confirm if voice address entry works....
Ads by Google
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
I've been entering the address by voice on my 2007 E60. Granted, it's a slow, tedious procedure ... wait for the beep, enter the state, wait for the beep, enter the city, wait for the beep, enter the street name, wait for the beep, enter the street number. And after entering each of these items, wait for the computerized voice to repeat (confirm) your entry. It's awfully slow.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I just test drove an F10 550i and the CA demostrated the voice rec for navigation, you CAN enter an address via voice.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
Hopefully, my dealer wasn't familiar with the new BMW nav system in the 2011 535....so I am checking here.

He said that you can not enter an address using voice....you have to enter it manually. Is BMW that far behind on technology? I've had that feature on my M35 since 2006...just say the address. In fact, I bought a Garmin for my wife's car for $200 that has that function (and much more).

I will be buying a 2011 535 as soon as the dealers decide to discount.....but it sounds like I won't be getting the in-car navigation system.

Can someone confirm if voice address entry works....
This is such a common problem, I think BMW should send their CA's back to school. The moron showing my wife her new X5 told her the same thing. I reached over and hit the voice command button and said "navigation" then "new destination" and the guy turned beet red.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Forget about knowing the products, but I would be happy if they understood the English language.

So many times, I just send very simple questions in (e.g. how many miles, which options, whether it's "punched", etc.), and then I invariably get stupid responses that have not much to do with my questions. To make the matter worse, they use all CAPs, misspell many words, and/or have running sentences.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
BTW, the voice entry on the F10 is much much easier and not as tedious. i was impressed, I never use the voice to enter destinations in my E60 because I would be a year older by the time I had the address entered.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Does the F10 navigation system speak turn by turn directions including the street name? I'm on the fence about ordering the navigation and I seem to recall that I read that BMW navigation only says "turn right at next street" not "turn right at Elm Street".

Can any of you who already have the F10 describe your experience with the new navigation system?

John
Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Forget about knowing the products, but I would be happy if they understood the English language.

So many times, I just send very simple questions in (e.g. how many miles, which options, whether it's "punched", etc.), and then I invariably get stupid responses that have not much to do with my questions. To make the matter worse, they use all CAPs, misspell many words, and/or have running sentences.

I SHARE THE SAME VIEW. HAVE SPOKEN TO DIFFERENT DEALERS IN MY AREA AND THEY KNOW **** COMPARED TO THE DETAILED KNOWHOW OF MANY FORUM MEMBERS HERE. I DON'T EXPECT THEM TO KNOW MORE THAN ME ANYMORE. I ONLY ASK THEM TO SIT WITH ME IN THE CAR, UNLESS IM ALLOWED TO DRIVE MYSELF, AND KEEP QUIET.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
Nav System Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjjpc View Post
Does the F10 navigation system speak turn by turn directions including the street name? I'm on the fence about ordering the navigation and I seem to recall that I read that BMW navigation only says "turn right at next street" not "turn right at Elm Street".

Can any of you who already have the F10 describe your experience with the new navigation system?

John
Here are some of my impressions of the navigation system:
  • The display is outstanding. Clear, high resolution, easy to see in bright daylight and at night.
  • There are a variety of views - perspective (3D), north up, and driving direction up. All work great.
  • You can zoom in and out by rotating the idrive knob - simple.
  • The system says the street name when it first tells you to prepare to turn. As you get closer to the actual street, it shortens the instruction and doesn't indicate the street name. At the same time, the display shows the street name with an arrow indicating the turning direction.
  • The system handles complex intersections better than I expected. The intersection layout including the correct travel/turn lane are diagramed on the screen below the speed/tach.
  • Entering addresses and finding destinations is easy.
  • The destination arrival calculation is relatively conservative. I always arrive earlier than predicted and I like that. You don't have to fudge for traffic or stop lights.
  • You can e-mail the car addresses / routes from google maps on any computer. Works fine.

I'm still learning all of the features but so far it's great. I'd definitely get it if you can swing it...
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh32010 View Post

I SHARE THE SAME VIEW. HAVE SPOKEN TO DIFFERENT DEALERS IN MY AREA AND THEY KNOW **** COMPARED TO THE DETAILED KNOWHOW OF MANY FORUM MEMBERS HERE. I DON'T EXPECT THEM TO KNOW MORE THAN ME ANYMORE. I ONLY ASK THEM TO SIT WITH ME IN THE CAR, UNLESS IM ALLOWED TO DRIVE MYSELF, AND KEEP QUIET.
I have been buying cars for 40 years and have only come across ONE salesman who knew as much about the car as I did. Only one.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss NY View Post
Here are some of my impressions of the navigation system:
  • The display is outstanding. Clear, high resolution, easy to see in bright daylight and at night.
  • There are a variety of views - perspective (3D), north up, and driving direction up. All work great.
  • You can zoom in and out by rotating the idrive knob - simple.
  • The system says the street name when it first tells you to prepare to turn. As you get closer to the actual street, it shortens the instruction and doesn't indicate the street name. At the same time, the display shows the street name with an arrow indicating the turning direction.
  • The system handles complex intersections better than I expected. The intersection layout including the correct travel/turn lane are diagramed on the screen below the speed/tach.
  • Entering addresses and finding destinations is easy.
  • The destination arrival calculation is relatively conservative. I always arrive earlier than predicted and I like that. You don't have to fudge for traffic or stop lights.
  • You can e-mail the car addresses / routes from google maps on any computer. Works fine.

I'm still learning all of the features but so far it's great. I'd definitely get it if you can swing it...
Hey Hoss have you tried the Satelite view in addition to the perspective view? It looks just like google maps as you can see terrain etc.. Although it looks like you lose some of the street names, as opposed to seeing all the street names when the perspective view is selected/checked.

Back on topic: yes the nav system definitely allows you to input the complete address via voice command.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 06-22-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Emailing a route with multiple destinations will be very cool. My brother's Lexus GX460 has this and it is a really nice feature when planning a long drive and stops etc. It sounds like the Nav is significantly more advanced than the one on my 06 Acura RL. Can a POI be located while in motion via the idrive, or are there the lawyer nannys like on Lexus? I like that the Acura can be fully used when in motion via both voice, or manual selection. I thought I read that the screen was polarized in some way that a passenger could watch a DVD simultaneously to the driver seeing the nav info, has anyone tried this?
Also, when I drove the 535i the temp and fan speed were washed out some while wearing my polarized sunglasses, I was not able to use the nav since it had not been activated. How do the nav screen, prompts etc look with polarized shades? Any other readouts seem washed out? There is a lot less red in the info displays than in the past, which is a huge improvement for those of us who are color vision deficient.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
[QUOTE=kssod;5277916] It sounds like the Nav is significantly more advanced than the one on my 06 Acura RL.

Not so sure about that.... I haven't used all the features on the new BMW Nav and would certainly love to know how it compares to my 2007 Acura MDX Nav

I use that as my yard stick, the Acura was always easy to enter a address, no matter how the address was written it always came right up, and had some nice features, such as the picture of the upcomming turns at a intersection , and on the splic screan would give you a listing in advance of the next 3 turns showing the name, distance and direction of the turn so you sorta felt like you knew what was comming next could get into the correct lanes well in advance etc

it also was very clear to see your route on the display, my current BMW has practically the same color route as the road on the map, and it's hard to see the name of the road your actually on as it only comes up now n then

Dunno if the new BMW system has any of those features from the Acura or is improved in those general regards?

just wondering
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Does the F10 Nav tell you what side of the street the destination is on? My E60 Nav does not, while the cheap Garmins will very helpfully say something like, " ... destination 500 feet ahead on the left."
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The Navigation System now does waypoints.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired