Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-29-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 530i Toledo blue
debadging conundrum

Why do people think removing the numbers mean I'm trying to hide something? Anybody who knows anything about e39's can tell my car is a bone stock 530, just by looking at it. I'm not ashamed of driving a 6 cylinder, nor am I trying to pass my car off as a v8 for an m5. If I rebadge my car as 540 or m5, that would be a different story.

There are people who automatically assume debadged cars are lowest models that are trying to hide it. There are people who would never debadge high end bmw's because debadging will cheapen its "status". There are people who think debadging=rebadging with higher model badges.

Last edited by HolyToledo; 09-29-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
There is no debate...

I uised to think the same thing...my 540 has the badge on it. My Z4M only has 1 M badge on it...

It is your car...do with it what you want. I am not a big fan of posers...but hey its yours and your the one who drives it and will ultimately decide what YOU want. No one else walks in your shoes...Good Luck and be happy
Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM
As seen on the Internet

Mein Auto: 540iT Dinan
I bought my car debadged except for the "Dinan" on the back. Looks clean.

"Back in the day", people might remove the high hp model badge to trick people at red lights into a little competition. Or they would "clone" a car with a smaller engine for show. I guess this really never went out of fashion except that some people remove all badging including the make, and with a new body kit could leave people guessing what car exactly it is. Not so much for E39's - you'd have to do something wild to hide a car's origin as being some model within the E39 family.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
why did you start this thread.

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 09-30-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Re: debadging conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
why did you start this thread.
My guess is because this is a "forum" aka "discussion board"....that's what people do here.....voice opinions, ask questions, post pictures, etc...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 03' e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyToledo View Post
Why do people think removing the numbers mean I'm trying to hide something? Anybody who knows anything about e39's can tell my car is a bone stock 530, just by looking at it. I'm not ashamed of driving a 6 cylinder, nor am I trying to pass my car off as a v8 for an m5. If I rebadge my car as 540 or m5, that would be a different story.

There are people who automatically assume debadged cars are lowest models that are trying to hide it. There are people who would never debadge high end bmw's because debadging will cheapen its "status". There are people who think debadging=rebadging with higher model badges.

In Switzerland, you can actually buy a new car, Bimmer/Mercedes, whatever, debadged from the factory, it is an option!
Even a M5 sold here can be bought without the M5 badge. It is not because someone's dick is smaller than others therefore people wanted to hide. Some people prefer to lay low and not trying to show off.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6
I used to have my 540 debadged for a long time and then decided to just black out the badge and rebadge the car. I kind of like the blacked out badge look on my silver car now.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I think debadging is one thing...putting upgraded badging is another.

I did take off my 2005 Mustang GT "GT" emblems...because I thought they looked bad.

I have not considered taking off the 530i badge...are there holes underneath?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllesklarBMW View Post
I think debadging is one thing...putting upgraded badging is another.

I did take off my 2005 Mustang GT "GT" emblems...because I thought they looked bad.

I have not considered taking off the 530i badge...are there holes underneath?
No they are held on my adhesive. Just use a fishing line or something of that sort and with flossing motion between the badge and trunk cut the adhesive.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2ke View Post
No they are held on my adhesive. Just use a fishing line or something of that sort and with flossing motion between the badge and trunk cut the adhesive.
Yeah, and hairdryer to heat up tape.
If there are no holes behind, I may think about it.

Cool, thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: E30,E36,F150
We have a customer with a de-badged c63 AMG coupe. That thing is a monster, and I don't think he's "ashamed" or "wished" his car wasn't what it is... It's all about personal preference. That's one example. On the other hand though, I have about 8 billion customers that want to buy AMG emblems to put on their non-AMG car. Those people should be rediculed to the point of crying naked in a corner wishing to die.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
debadging conundrum

I like the look in addition to it being easier to detail. Plus if I ever have a super fast car I'll let the right pedal do the talking...

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARHE4D View Post
Those people should be rediculed to the point of crying naked in a corner wishing to die.
X2
Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllesklarBMW View Post
Yeah, and hairdryer to heat up tape.
If there are no holes behind, I may think about it.

Cool, thanks.
If its a sunny day I'd say it'd be easier to let the sun heat up the adhesive, thats what I did. also I used this method when I put on my rear trunk spoiler lip. had the sun heat up the trunk so the adhesive would stick better.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 535i
Here in Aus...

Heaps I mean Heaps !! of people debadge Euro cars ( Mercs and Bimmers ) mainly to hide the fact that its a 4 cyclinder or a 6 cyclinder.. and then put like AMG badges on it or M badges to fool others.. ( most people that know cars not particularly euro cars know the difference haha, So they all look like d****s lol !

Actually the other day saw a bone stock BMW 318i ? with M badges and a false quad exhaust lollllllllll
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 AM
As seen on the Internet

No Blazing Saddles reference yet?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
just cause of this My 540 is getting a Vtec badge... Done

Or a Si?

540iSI yes!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
debadging conundrum

I just got back from a three-week vacation to Europe, and being a car guy I paid a lot of attention to the cars. Like the much better selection of brands and engines that I would like. But I also noticed that there is a lot more de-badging over there than here in the USA. Stealth models. Heck, even the MB S-class I rented was de badged. Don't get the wrong idea. I booked a Volvo V40 and they "forced me" to take the free upgrade cuz they couldn't produce the smaller car I had ordered. A tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1380709189.839122.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	399995

Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: E30,E36,F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylawrr View Post
Here in Aus...

Heaps I mean Heaps !! of people debadge Euro cars ( Mercs and Bimmers ) mainly to hide the fact that its a 4 cyclinder or a 6 cyclinder.. and then put like AMG badges on it or M badges to fool others.. ( most people that know cars not particularly euro cars know the difference haha, So they all look like d****s lol !

Actually the other day saw a bone stock BMW 318i ? with M badges and a false quad exhaust lollllllllll
What gets me also is the psychology behind this.. People want to put AMG or M badges on their cars to give the perception that its an AMG or M right? But what these people don't understand is this..

1. People who know what an AMG or M model is, knows right away, just by looking, that it's not. So now you look like an idiot..

2. People who can't tell by looking then, aren't "enthusiasts" thus meaning that they don't even know what AMG or M means, and could care less.. So you still haven't impressed anyone.

IMO that leaves the only possible result of what would happen when posted up by your car in a parking lot looking for attention: People who just walk by not even noticing because they don't care about cars.. OR.. someone walking up asking why they put said badge on a car it doesn't belong on.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i/6
Quote:
Some people prefer to lay low and not trying to show off
About 0 years ago I remember reading about this trend of debadging and from the article (yes, printed page) it got started in the UK and Europe as many cars are perks of the job. The higher ups did not want to show off the V8 models when their underlings had the 4 cyl models. Then it became trendy for the clean look. It made its way over here and then there were guys up-badging. I think they have been beat up already but they do act a lot like the fools that put the fake vents on the fenders of their cars from autozone...

I had an Audi V8 that came from the factory without any badging. In 1990, it was like has been post here up a few threads, If you know the car you are an enthusiast and it matters. If you are not an enthusiast, it didn't matter in the first place.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
This is most likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARHE4D View Post
What gets me also is the psychology behind this.. People want to put AMG or M badges on their cars to give the perception that its an AMG or M right? But what these people don't understand is this..

1. People who know what an AMG or M model is, knows right away, just by looking, that it's not. So now you look like an idiot..

2. People who can't tell by looking then, aren't "enthusiasts" thus meaning that they don't even know what AMG or M means, and could care less.. So you still haven't impressed anyone.

IMO that leaves the only possible result of what would happen when posted up by your car in a parking lot looking for attention: People who just walk by not even noticing because they don't care about cars.. OR.. someone walking up asking why they put said badge on a car it doesn't belong on.

THE most accurate assessment of all!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
My personal opinion and experience revolves around the coveted DINAN badge. When I had first purchased my 03 525i, the original owner told me that he had Monrovia BMW do quite a bit of Dinan tuning to it. Anyway, it was never mentioned in the autotrader ad and I didn't know it had these parts and (at the time) I didn't know that many owners of BMW's love to throw money at this company just so they can have what many on this forum equate to bloatware or parts that really don't add any more performance to the car.

My point in saying all this is the owner told me that he had bought just enough of the tuning parts necessary to qualify the car to receive a DINAN badge and was furious when that badge was stolen from the car just weeks of having it put on.

From time to time I think about dropping the extra $$ to Dinan to get the replacement badge but therein lies my conundrum because I know the second I put that badge on, it's likely going to get stolen and honestly at the heart of all that tuning work is still the smallest engine installed in our beloved E39's. I still get a kick out of opening the hood and seeing all the DINAN bits in my ride (that someone else paid for) and that's good enough for me.
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock

Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM
As seen on the Internet

I'm hoping no one swipes my Dinan badge but then again I don't park the car at too many places that are sketchy or for too long. It can happen though.

In my case, the Dinan badge isn't so much bloatware as it is a warning sticker.

Previous owners threw 35 points worth of parts at the car - pretty much everything they offer except for brakes.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
I'm hoping no one swipes my Dinan badge but then again I don't park the car at too many places that are sketchy or for too long. It can happen though.

In my case, the Dinan badge isn't so much bloatware as it is a warning sticker.

Previous owners threw 35 points worth of parts at the car - pretty much everything they offer except for brakes.
sweet - I think it also helps to start with the 8 cyl motor...I actually didn't believe the seller when he told me the car had a DINAN badge before but you can still see the faintest trace/outline of the badge from the indentation it left in the paint. at least if someone were to try to take your badge it seems like it would be a bit of an effort..
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock