Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
You think it is totaled?

Left frontal offset impact and on side. Pickup truck hit us. X5 protected wife and I. It did its job. I am not up on vehicle repairs, but wanted opinions on if you think this is a total. Adjuster will look at this during the up coming week. 2500 miles on vehicle.....but, hey....we are breathing, that vehicle is a lifesaver.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01731.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	232524

Name:	DSC01726.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	232521

Name:	DSC01728.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	232523

Name:	DSC01727.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	232522

Name:	DSC01719.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	232517

Name:	DSC01724.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	232519

Name:	DSC01725.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	232520

2011 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech, Premium Sound, Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Multi-contour Seats, Space Grey/Black

Totaled: 2010 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech Package, Premium Sound,Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Space Grey/Black

Retired: 2007 530i Premium, Cold Weather, Step, Black Sapphire/black dakota

Last edited by twssas; 05-31-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Depending on who you are insured with I will say yes, they are going to total it. Sorry
Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: LS 430
yes

2009 Space Grey X5 M-sport, NAV, Active Steering, Leather Heated Seats, USB
2007 AW 335i Sedan, Manual, Sports, CA, Cold, Rear Shade - GONE
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
wow!! glad you are all ok. was the door ripped off, or was that from the emt/fire dept to get you out??

it does look to be in the 'i think it's totaled' department and will go for high salvage. i know from my experiences with vehicle repairs there will be unseen hidden damage that will have the initial estimate increased.

again, i am glad to hear that you both are ok.

df
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 AM

Thanks. Fire Department cut me out. They did not want to drag me across console to passenger door. I wan't in any mood to complain. By the way, I ended up with the other guys headlight casing in my lap. Paramedics gave it to me as a momento of the occasion.

Those seats in the X5, on impact you can feel the seat "wrapping around you". Wife especially noticed it. She says I have to have another one.

2011 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech, Premium Sound, Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Multi-contour Seats, Space Grey/Black

Totaled: 2010 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech Package, Premium Sound,Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Space Grey/Black

Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Mein Auto: PG X5 35i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Thanks. Fire Department cut me out. They did not want to drag me across console to passenger door. I wan't in any mood to complain. By the way, I ended up with the other guys headlight casing in my lap. Paramedics gave it to me as a momento of the occasion.

Those seats in the X5, on impact you can feel the seat "wrapping around you". Wife especially noticed it. She says I have to have another one.
Wow glad to hear you both are ok. Another reason to drive a BMW.

The X5 has a lot of frame damage, so I would say its totaled. You never can tell by the Insurance companies these days they will always go the cheapest route for them(some more than others)
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobb2 View Post
Wow glad to hear you both are ok. Another reason to drive a BMW.

The X5 has a lot of frame damage, so I would say its totaled. You never can tell by the Insurance companies these days they will always go the cheapest route for them(some more than others)
Thanks. I was trying to show the frame the best I could in the pictures. You guys know a lot more about this than I do......

Old 05-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Hope it is totaled... it will make your life easier.

The areas damaged look to be such that this car would fail a CPO Certification (neither here nor there, but just an indicator)... if they fix this my concern is "Diminished Value". If you own the car (ie not leased) you will take a HUGE hit if you ever want to sell or trade it. Do a search on this term...

If you were at fault, it will be tough luck... if someone else was at fault they can be liable for DV...lets hope it is totaled and it is a non-issue.

Remember, your insurance company is NOT (necessarily) your friend...they will universally say 'we don't pay DV', but as your research will show this is not always true.

Glad you are OK

Good luck

A
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: MY11E70V8TT
start shopping ... this is a goner.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Hope it is totaled... it will make your life easier.

The areas damaged look to be such that this car would fail a CPO Certification (neither here nor there, but just an indicator)... if they fix this my concern is "Diminished Value". If you own the car (ie not leased) you will take a HUGE hit if you ever want to sell or trade it. Do a search on this term...

If you were at fault, it will be tough luck... if someone else was at fault they can be liable for DV...lets hope it is totaled and it is a non-issue.

Remember, your insurance company is NOT (necessarily) your friend...they will universally say 'we don't pay DV', but as your research will show this is not always true.

Glad you are OK

Good luck

A
I bought it as opposed to leasing. I am wanting and hoping it is totaled. Certainly do not want to go the hassle of repairing it, even at a certified BMW repair facility. I have looked at the term diminished value, just in case, and considering I have only 2500 miles on the vehicle I would think I have an argument, but not being an expertise in the legal field, what little I read on the subject would indicate which state you live in would influence diminished value as well. Failing a CPO certification would add to the diminished value argument as well. And by the way.....it is the "other guys" fault. Good for me, and unfortunately, not for him. A bad day for all concerned.
Thanks for the comments

Last edited by twssas; 05-31-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I bought it as opposed to leasing. I am wanting and hoping it is totaled. Certainly do not want to go the hassle of repairing it, even at a certified BMW repair facility. I have looked at the term diminished value, just in case, and considering I have only 2500 miles on the vehicle I would think I have an argument, but not being an expertise in the legal field, what little I read on the subject would indicate which state you live in would influence diminished value as well. Failing a CPO certification would add to the diminished value argument as well. And by the way.....it is the "other guys" fault. Good for me, and unfortunately, not for him. A bad day for all concerned.
Thanks for the comments
You are right about the state law influencing the issue. Not getting into it too deeply, but an insurance claim under 'collision' (ie your insurance is reimbursing you) can exclude paying DV. Georgia is the only one that does not. http://www.collisionclaims.com/1st_3rd_Party_Claims.asp

In a 3rd party case (ie you are 1st, the other guy is 2nd and their insurance company is the 3rd party) you should be able to claim DV.

Personally (I was rear ended in a minor accident a month ago) I only deal with the at fault's insurance- never my own. At the end of the day, they are the ones making decisions, and I want them to know they are dealing with a harda$$ right up front (No other way to say it.) Not unreasonable, or angry but just informed and in control of the process... When one insurer works with another it can be too 'buddy-buddy'....

FYI-If they know you will be pursuing a DV should they NOT total it, that might influence their initial decision.

Finally, remember- they owe you to 'make you whole'... so any expenses including tax, title, registration, etc, etc, on top of the value must be paid. With 2500 miles, I would take your total new car acquisition price- divide by 200k miles, multiply by 197,500 and say that is the value- add on 100% of the taxes, etc. that you will need to pay to replace that car. (Use 200k, settle for 120k but not less)...

GL

A
Old 05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
even at a certified BMW repair facility.
I hate to tell you this is a real joke.

Using a "BMW Certified Repair Facility" and thinking it will be some guarantee of some level of repair, is like buying a BMW CPO car and thinking it is anything more than a shiny used car.

DO NOT think they do a better job, or that they even do an adequate job!

Lets hope you dont need it, but if so you should get personal recommendations for qualified shops in your area...

A
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
Wow .... sorry to see this, glad you and your wife are okay. From the pictures I say the car should be totaled and you should get a new one. In case they do repair it I estimate repair would cost in the mid $20Ks I would sell the car and get a new one for yourself. Make sure the Insurance compensates you with that in mid having only 2,500 driven and you need to trade it in after repair with a great loss based up on the accident etc. You purchased a new car, you also deserve to continue driving a new car not one that was patched up to no fault of your own.

Keep us informed how you make out ... Good luck to you!

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Finally, remember- they owe you to 'make you whole'... so any expenses including tax, title, registration, etc, etc, on top of the value must be paid. With 2500 miles, I would take your total new car acquisition price- divide by 200k miles, multiply by 197,500 and say that is the value- add on 100% of the taxes, etc. that you will need to pay to replace that car. (Use 200k, settle for 120k but not less)...

Your advice is well taken. I certainly appreciate the time you have taken to share that information. Your formula is extremely valuable, and again, thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 AM

and also good advice about BMW repair centers.

Last edited by twssas; 05-31-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
I agree with ARD and Rolf-Dieter.

I'd press hard to get it totaled. I'd make a serious issue of Diminished Value. And I'd start ordering a new one ASAP. Because even in the worst case scenario, where the ins. refuses to total it, I'd sell it and get a new X5.

FWIW the damage in your pics would almost certainly require a cut and splice of the uni-body 'frame' back to where there was "no uni-body damage". IOW somewhere in the roof, the firewall, under the seats, etc. This means that essentially the left part of the uni-body back to at least somewhere in the rear door jam would need to be cut away and replaced*. NOT ON AN X5 I'd own/drive another 100,000k+ miles

Funf Dreisig

* Forget the fenders, bumper, hood, doors, etc. They can be completely replaced with new bolt on parts. The issue is the damage to the door jams and the A pillar (by the windshield). These are complicated areas in terms of both shape and structural integrity. You don't just bend these back into the right shape/position.

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 05-31-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
I agree with ARD and Rolf-Dieter.

I'd press hard to get it totaled. I'd make a serious issue of Diminished Value. And I'd start ordering a new one ASAP. Because even in the worst case scenario, where the ins. refuses to total it, I'd sell it and get a new X5.

FWIW the damage in your pics would almost certainly require a cut and splice of the uni-body 'frame' back where there was "no uni-body damage". IOW somewhere in the roof, the firewall, under the seats, etc. This means that essentially the left part of the uni-body back to at least somewhere in the rear door jam would need to be cut away. And replaced. NOT ON AN X5 I'd own/drive another 100,000k+ miles

Funf Dreisig
Thank you. Great information. I mentioned earlier, that I want and hope to total this vehicle.Your descriptions of unibody repair, along with info others have given, really help educate me to do and say the right things. These boards are extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Bored

Mein Auto: BMW E93 335i Convertible
Yes, it's totaled. It looks MUCH worse than a Land Rover LR3 I was driving in 2007, and I was in a head on collision. It was totaled. If they give you a hassle, I would TOTALLY push to make sure they total it.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Choose your body shop carefully, talk to them about what you want. When the adjuster comes in if they don't want to total it the shop can always do a teardown and measure and then run the supplement high enough that they will reconsider.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Thak God you and your wife are okay. Sucks about the car, but seriously...you're so fortunate to 'walk' away from that!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
tw, let us know how you came out of the deal after the dust is settled. Great news that you were not badly hurt! A car can be replaced, you can't. Now, lets hope the other guy had insurance!!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually TW, I just had another thought... Use full MSRP for your "this was the new value of my car"... no need to tell them you negotiated well, or you got an ECO credit. Go with MSRP and let them dicker from there. They have no right at all to know what you paid for the car. Use a photocopy of the window sticker

They have a bit of a problem in that they will try to assign a value to your car based on an 'independent' company that most insurance companies use to help them screw, er I mean value, customers losses. There is NO way they can come up with a "here is what used 2010 X5s sell for"....

GL

A

PS Assuming it is a total, of course
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Kind of a silly question, but where are the airbags? I'd expect to see deployed airbags laying about.

Aren't there side airbags on the front seat?

Or are they on the door, and since the driver's door is gone, they're still on the missing door?

(My wife drives the X5 daily, so I'm just not remembering...)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 AM

airbags did not deploy. I am guess the angle of impact at the front left, missed sensors, and offsetting impact down the side did not get the side airbags Good question. I had the same one. The seat belts certainly sinched up during impact. We were both snug in our seats.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Insurance company trucked my X5 to the BMW dealers collision center today to get an official estimate. Unofficially, it is at $47K plus change, with some more looking to do. Insurance is looking at 75% of value to total vehicle. Looking like that will happen, but i do not count on anything until it is my hand.