Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Exclamation The features of the 2011 x5..anyone play around with it?

Music load....well I have the USB in the glove box....complaint is that the USB must go sideways!!! WHY!! I have to take out all my manuals to load music. However once its in my music loaded in less than 1 minute (30 songs)....

Question: what happens if I load more music? Will my previous ones delete??




Air timer: Anyone use it? Does it keep your car cool and any problems with battery life etc using it.


Navigation: WTF this is horrible!! I sent a destination via google maps and when routing....it tried to take me back to my own house and kept telling me turn around or make u turn every 10 seconds!!!!! UGH!!


Phone: HORRIBLE RINGTONE!! loud and obnoxious lol.......seems to work well though great feature...




AUTO HOLD- NOW!!! I have to get use to it...but it seems to be a bad feature. One it does not stay on once you turn the car and two it engages parking brake when you stop!!! Its annoying, not near the smoothness of hill hold on competitor cars (especially porsche) theirs is automatic so you won't roll backwards on a hill.




Just some thoughts anyone else have any comments or cool tricks they found?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Newmanium Newmanium is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
Mein Auto: Zipcars
I believe it has a standard hill hold that engages fairly transparently - not sure how different the Auto Hold is, guessing it doesn't disengage after 2 seconds.

I've had mixed feelings for the Nav - couldn't find an address right in the middle of the city here that was built about 60 years ago, really strange. But when it works, on HUD, it's spectacular - I didn't realize the HUD shows the street names and countdown to turns, so handy to not have to look all the way down (especially when zipping around on loads of complicated city streets). Also reasonably impressed with the search function, loads better than on our Acura (it wouldn't differentiate between places 1 mile and 900 miles away, so frustrating).


The only thing I'm noticing is that the ride is rougher than I was expecting - lots of potholes and crappy roads in Portland, and I'm bouncing all over the place. But it sure knows how to take a corner, I'll give it that. And that torque is addicting.
__________________
Past: 2011 X5 35d .... 2007 530i ..... 2002 530i ..... 1999 Honda Civic ..... 1990 Honda Accord ..... 2008 TSX

Last edited by Newmanium; 08-29-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
The only thing I'm noticing is that the ride is rougher than I was expecting - lots of potholes and crappy roads in Portland, and I'm bouncing all over the place.

When I replaced the runflats on my Z4 with non-runflats, I got a better ride, better handling, and much less noise. I suspect that the Runflats on the X5 have something to do with the rough ride you perceive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
When I replaced the runflats on my Z4 with non-runflats, I got a better ride, better handling, and much less noise. I suspect that the Runflats on the X5 have something to do with the rough ride you perceive.
Really I find my run flats to be awesome....Smoother than expected which is why I don't want to put 20s on it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
Really I find my run flats to be awesome....Smoother than expected which is why I don't want to put 20s on it yet.
I really won't know until I switch to non-rinflats on the X5. Maybe the tire performance will go from awesome to very awesome, or even ultra-awesome.

The Z4 difference is a fact, the X5 difference is just a "suspicion," based on my Z4 experience.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Newmanium Newmanium is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
Mein Auto: Zipcars
The front tire pressure was a little high (35 instead of 32) - dropping that down seems to make a difference. I don't mind at all, it's the wife factor.

I'm getting winter tires, and I'll try non-RFTs to see if they make a big difference. If so, would be worth buying new all seasons - is there any way to sell the stock all seasons, or is it pretty much a wash? Either way, a lot cheaper than trading for something like an ML (man would that be depressing).

The only other complaint I've had about the X5 so far is the rattles - both front armrests buzz all the time, there's some loud click type rattle that sounds like it's right behind my headrest when going over a pothole, and there's one or two more minor buzzings coming from the back. Hopefully all fixable soon.
__________________
Past: 2011 X5 35d .... 2007 530i ..... 2002 530i ..... 1999 Honda Civic ..... 1990 Honda Accord ..... 2008 TSX
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
samsonitep samsonitep is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
The front tire pressure was a little high (35 instead of 32) - dropping that down seems to make a difference. I don't mind at all, it's the wife factor.

I'm getting winter tires, and I'll try non-RFTs to see if they make a big difference. If so, would be worth buying new all seasons - is there any way to sell the stock all seasons, or is it pretty much a wash? Either way, a lot cheaper than trading for something like an ML (man would that be depressing).

The only other complaint I've had about the X5 so far is the rattles - both front armrests buzz all the time, there's some loud click type rattle that sounds like it's right behind my headrest when going over a pothole, and there's one or two more minor buzzings coming from the back. Hopefully all fixable soon.
not what I like the hear!!!

oh and do you hand wash your car or take it to a wash?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Newmanium Newmanium is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 865
Mein Auto: Zipcars
I have handwashed in the past.. But I got silver so I could take it to a touchless and not feel bad. I'm getting tired of babying cars, just finding I care less and less about flawless paint. The luxury of silver, hides a lot of defects.

But I may feel guilty and handwash it these first few times, we'll see.
__________________
Past: 2011 X5 35d .... 2007 530i ..... 2002 530i ..... 1999 Honda Civic ..... 1990 Honda Accord ..... 2008 TSX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms