Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 AM
AgouraM5

Mein Auto: '03 540iA
Cool What Coolant you using?

Shade Tree Mechanics,
am leaking/losing small amounts of coolant from my '03 540iA, even though I had the radiator and lower hoses replaced summer before last... need to top off and wonder if anyone has researched a Pep Boys type coolant that will work as well as the Stealer sold liquid without losing any protection of the system?? Anyone looked into the chemical makeup or manufacturer's claims? Thanks in advance for you thoughts/experiences...

Plan to do a flush soon and want to save $$ unless it will accelerate another Baer replacement core.

agouraM5
Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
Well FWIW

I use the BMW coolant. The dealer is nearby, it was like $17 per gallon and 2 gallons fills our system it is like $8 more expensive than normal stuff...but not so bad for me. Second, I'd look at the valley pan gasket, if yours is leaking, they leak slow and it is difficult to find ...if it is a slow leak I wouldn't even bother with coolant...just get a gallon of distilled water and keep it topped off. Then after you've done the valley pan or had it done then use coolant. Water itself is an excellent coolant unless you're worried about 'freezing' don't use additional coolant...water will work great. Valley pans are expensive to replace so save your $ for that job...then do the whole shabang...IMHO
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
I use Service Pro Universal Formula. It's about ph8, not as basic as some I've tested. I'd probably use BMW if there was a dealer closer to me, but I think you can drive yourself nuts over this issue and ultimately I don't think if matters if you flush your system every couple of years.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
I agree with GSXRYDER, for a few oz's to top off I just use distilled H2O.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: e39
i use the BMW collant mixed 50/50 with distilled water

RIP: 1998 540i sport 6spd | daily: 1999 528 m-sport 5spd
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: '01 530 Sport
Zerex G-05
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I am interested in collecting, in one page, all the relevant necessary information about the dozen fluids in the E39.

So far, it's woefully inadequate on the coolant.
Here's what I have so far (but it needs improvement!):

- Engine coolant: phosphate free & nitrite free 50:50 ethylene glycol & distilled water, Bentley 020-11. [Volume: 1997 I6=10.5 quarts, 1997 V8=12.0 quarts, 1998-2002 I6=11.1 quarts, 1998-2002 V8=12.7 quarts, 1997-2002 V8 with latent heater=13.5 quarts.] Replacement Interval: Every three (3) years (Bentley page 020-9) starting from date of manufacture. Note: Mixing coolant types is permissible only in emergencies.

BTW, here's an interesting excerpt from this web page:
Prior to the advent of BMW Free Scheduled Maintenance, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more.
But once BMW began paying for scheduled maintenance, lo and behold the "schedule" was revised. Now the cars hardly need any maintenance at all. The 1,200-mile break-in service was done away with except for M cars. Engine oil suddenly lasts 15,000 miles (dealers are supposed to use BMW synthetic oil). Manual gearbox and differential oil? No worries there – now BMW says they NEVER need to be changed; it's "lifetime fill." Brake fluid and coolant service intervals were doubled with no change in the original BMW brake fluid and anti-freeze dealers are supposed to use.
I recommend changing engine coolant at two-year intervals, using only factory BMW anti-freeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water (reason – BMW anti-freeze is phosphate free, phosphates cause aluminum oxidation, which blocks cylinder head coolant passages and causes head gasket failure, others may claim to be "aluminum safe" or "phosphate free" – make your choice, but I've used BMW anti-freeze exclusively in many cars and have never had an aluminum oxidation or head gasket problem). The factory coolant change interval used to be every two years. It is now every four years.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-05-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
I stick with the BMW stuff, I even use it in the Ferrari.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRYDER View Post
I use the BMW coolant. it was like $17 per gallon and 2 gallons fills our system
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rolando View Post
I use Service Pro Universal Formula. It's about ph8
Quote:
Originally Posted by repcapalehttp://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=5244542 View Post
Zerex G-05
So, it looks like the coolant possibilities, so far, are:
- BMW coolant (nitrite free, phosphate free)
- Service Pro Universal Formula
- Valvoline Zerex G-05, phospate free,
- Prestone Extended Life
- ??? anything else ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCo540i View Post
I agree with GSXRYDER, for a few oz's to top off I just use distilled H2O.
BTW, what's the difference between:
- distilled water
- purified water
- de mineralized water
- deionized water

Are they all the same thing?
- ??? what others ???
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AllMakesAntiSpecSheet.pdf (183.3 KB, 574 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
I stick with the BMW stuff, I even use it in the Ferrari.
Attached is a TIS with BMW requirements for coolant ... for a different model ... but I wonder if it's relevant here ...
And, below is the list of coolants in that TIS ...

BMW Antifreeze PN: 81 22 9 407 454 1.5-litre can
BMW Antifreeze PN: 81 22 9 407 455 60-litre barrel
BMW Antifreeze PN: 81 22 9 407 456 205-litre barrel
BMW Antifreeze PN: 81 22 9 407 755 Tanker (truck)
Addinol Antifreeze Super Addinol Lube Oil GmbH
Aral Antifreeze Extra Aral AG
AVIA Antifreeze APN AVIA Mineralöl AG
BMW Antifreeze BMW AG
BP anti-frost X 2270A BP Schmierstoff GmbH, Hamburg
Caltex CX Engine Coolant Caltex
Castrol ANIT-FREEZE NF Castrol International
Fridex G48 Velvena s.a.
Glacelf Plus Total
GlycoShell Shell International
Glyco Star Bremin Mineralöl GmbH & Co.
Glysantin G48-24 Engine Coolant UNICO Ltd.
Glysantin Protect Plus / G48 BASF
GUSOFROST LV 505 Chemische Industrielle Gesellschaft
Mobil Frostschutz 600 Mobil Schmierstoff GmbH
Havoline AFC (BD04) ChevronTexaco/Arteco
Mobil Frostschutz 600 ExxonMobil
OMV Kühlerfrostschutz OMV AG
Total Thermofreeze Plus Total

BMW AG - TIS 12.11.2007 18:55

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS  1 - Requirements_Page_1.jpg
Views:	19876
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	233640   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS  1 - Requirements_Page_2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	233641   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS  1 - Requirements_Page_3.jpg
Views:	19922
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	233642   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS  1 - Requirements_Page_4.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	233643  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SBS 1 - Requirements.pdf (34.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Based on this research, I updated the fluids thread to indicate the following.

PLEASE IMPROVE!

- Engine coolant: phosphate, amine, & nitrite free 50:50 mixture of ethylene glycol & distilled water, aka de-mineralized or de-ionized water (some say use "purified water" instead ... all say never use tap water) Bentley 020-11. BMW lists a score of coolants in their TIS "12.11.2007 18:55" which meet the BMW N 600 69.0 standard, some of which are BMW PN:81.22.9.407.454 1.5-litre can; BMW PN: 88-88-6-900-316 1 gallon; Castrol ANTI-FREEZE NF; BASF Glysantin Protect Plus G48, & Havoline AFC (BD04). Others here recommend Service Pro Universal Formula; Valvoline Zerex G-05, phospate free, & Prestone Extended Life. [Volume: 1997 I6=10.5 quarts, 1997 V8=12.0 quarts, 1998-2002 I6=11.1 quarts, 1998-2002 V8=12.7 quarts, 1997-2002 V8 with latent heater=13.5 quarts]. Replacement Interval: Every three (3) years (Bentley page 020-9) starting from date of manufacture. Note: Mixing coolant types is permissible only in emergencies. BMW has issued a 1991 technical bulletin, 17 01 88(1743), which details problems with what is known as "green goo" silicate gel precipitation in engines.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
AgouraM5

Thumbs up Accck... the upper hose is GONE!

... what an afternoon. In a parking lot, hissing and coolant temp ping led to raising the hood to find the upper hose COMPLETELY separated just past the plastic coupler and before the permanent metal band... I mean you could slide a screwdriver through the space! Check with local parts stores... no BMW parts, so off to the stealer for the triple coupler upper hose assembly and a $24 gallon of smurf juice. Shade tree repair in the parking lot and then two sweeping needle stops to add more coolant/water. Finally got the needle to stay at 12 o'clock high and with the heater at 83 and the windows down in 95 degrees, got on home to the garage to rest.
Will check the coolant level in the AM and hope the heat spikes didn't damage anything, or the water pump/thermostat hasn't failed!

Any obvious symptoms of thermostat/water pump failure?? Thanks in advance for the suggestions and diagnoses, there was green residue on the lower end of the hose assembly at the coupling and probably leakage from under the deteriorating upper hose at the rad... very clever fitting/metal pin design to attach the replacement hose, quick fit with a screwdriver off and your thumb back on with the new.

ymmv
Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouraM5 View Post
the upper hose COMPLETELY separated just past the plastic coupler and before the permanent metal band...
Would you kindly post a picture to this thread (we're trying to keep it all together to help others).

BTW, you just convinced me I should keep a spare radiator in my trunk!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM
AgouraM5

Cool coolant fluid

thanks Blue for adding the info on the coolant... I looked at the Prestone Long Life which is a 40% price premium at auto stores... since I had to go to the BMW stealer for the part, got the gallon of BMW juice at a 50% premium price over the Prestone...

With the broken hose and most of the old mix gone, I was able to pour in a quart short of a gallon of BMW coolant and an equal amount of water... don't know for sure the total capacity for the '03 540iA plus expansion tank?!

I looked into the water labels awhile back and from my simple research was told that the list you posted are all the same... distilled/ionized/purified etc. Am currently filling with "purified" from the local grocery store.

ymmv
Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
AgouraM5

Talking Valvoline Gerex 05

just to clarify... I don't have any experience as yet with the Prestone Long Life but elsewhere on the board, someone has recommended it.

When I called my local Indy today to check vs Stealer prices, they use the Valvoline BULK, in the shop, but could only sell me OEM BMW coolant in the gallon since they get the Valvoline by the barrel and obviously use it for radiator servicing. Has anyone seen the Valvoline or Castrol coolant on anybody's shelves?? tia

ymmv
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I looked into the water labels a while back and from my simple research was told that [they] are all the same... distilled/ionized/purified etc. Am currently filling with "purified" from the local grocery store.
What is very interesting is that the BMW AG TIS says potable tap water is fine!

Or maybe I mis-interpreted it?

See this below ... near the bottom where it says not to use desalinated water but potable water is just fine.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: '01 530 Sport
Quote:
just to clarify... I don't have any experience as yet with the Prestone Long Life but elsewhere on the board, someone has recommended it.

When I called my local Indy today to check vs Stealer prices, they use the Valvoline BULK, in the shop, but could only sell me OEM BMW coolant in the gallon since they get the Valvoline by the barrel and obviously use it for radiator servicing. Has anyone seen the Valvoline or Castrol coolant on anybody's shelves?? tia

ymmv
I buy the Zerex G-05 at Napa. But I live in Canada, so i don't know if that really helps you.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
Well from what I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
So, it looks like the coolant possibilities, so far, are:
- Prestone Extended Life
- ??? anything else ???

- distilled water
- purified water
- de mineralized water
- deionized water

- ??? what others ???
In chemical and biological laboratories, as well as industry, cheaper alternatives such as deionized water are preferred over distilled water. However, if these alternatives are not sufficiently pure, distilled water is used. Where exceptionally high purity water is required, double distilled water is used.

Distilled water is also commonly used to top off lead acid batteries used in cars and trucks. The presence of other ions commonly found in tap water will cause a drastic reduction in an automobile's battery lifespan.

Distilled water is preferable to tap water for use in automotive cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations.[1]

NO They ARE NOT the same thing...and they do make a difference. IF I was in a pinch I'd certainly use tap water, and I'm pretty certain that the other 'coolants' are fine for our BMW's but lets see the difference between 2 gallons of BMW coolant $34 or 2 gallons of Prestone or zerex is about $20 I'd say the peace of mind is pretty good for a total difference of < $15 GL
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
Quote:

- distilled water
- purified water
- de mineralized water
- deionized water

- ??? what others ???
Knock it off Bluebee- Google it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Can't go wrong with Genuine BMW Coolant...

We use it in all of our shop and personal cars...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

You also might want to consider coolant additives like Water Wetter or Motul - MoCool

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions!

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCo540i View Post
Google it.
Well, since the BMW AG TIS says most European tap water is fine for the cooling system, the real question isn't in the water ... it's in the specific antifreeze to use.

So far, in addition to the score of (mostly European) brands and models, we have users here replacing the coolant with:
- Prestone Extended Life

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_ag_tis_coolants.gif
Views:	18203
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	233728  

Last edited by bluebee; 06-09-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM

has anyone actually tried these coolant additives , are there any noticeable results from using them?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigst3r View Post
has anyone actually tried these coolant additives , are there any noticeable results from using them?
It would be interesting to see who uses both types of additives (sealants & inhibitors) and what they notice, from their experience ...

But we should at the same time note that BMW does not recommend either type of coolant additive (according to this BMW AG TIS).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw_ag_tis_coolant_additives.gif
Views:	17238
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	233729  
Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to see who uses both types of additives (sealants & inhibitors) and what they notice, from their experience ...

But we should at the same time note that BMW does not recommend either type of coolant additive (according to this BMW AG TIS).

thanks Nice info

so basically TunningJoe up top there is trying to sell us some sh!t that BMW does not recommend and can potentially lead to a failure that will not be covered by warranty.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM

I wouldn't say that. Everyone is doing their job and I appreciate information from any quarter.

Let's see if anyone chimes in on their experience with either the coolant additives for inhibition or leak sealing ...