Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35i
Angry $9000 for repair? Ultimate wallet machine for sure.

This problem has been going on for few weeks now, whenever I try to find an empty spot for my 35i, around 5-10Km/h (3-6mph) turning hard left or right, it produces a vigorous wobble from the rear portion of the vehicle. Sent the car in to the dealership and they called me back the day after saying that the transfer case was the problem. They told me that the transfer case motor wasn't working and that they had to replace the transfer case, the distributor, and the bearing and estimating approximately $9000 including labor without tax.. And of course it had to be Monday morning ... Any thoughts? What do you think about this?

To summarize...

Complaint: Intense wobbling (from the wheels but, ) (causing the entire car to vibrate) around the trunk area while turning all the way to the left or right in slow speed (Parking lot speed).

Cause: Faulty/Defective Transfer Case

Solution: Replace transfer case (27107643751), bearing, and the distributor

P.s: SA told me that parts were $6000 and labor was $3000 @ $164.99/hr

P.p.s: SA informed me that the mechanic told the SA that if transfer case fails, the car will not shift out of Park (or the current gear it is in) thus resulting in repairing/replacing the transmission along with the transfer case...

Last edited by Asian; 08-03-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
"sent the car in to the dealer"?????????

I've got to make the unfair assumption that the dealer feels (for some reason) that he can charge you whatever he wants and you'll just pay it.

Anyone can buy that transfer case for $2400. FROM BMW!!!!

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...107643751.html

"the bearing" and "the distributor" are just nonsense terms the service salesman is throwing in to confuse the issue.

This is a $3000-3500 job. Find someone else.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
So, they already done the work without getting your approval first!?
I am judging from "they had to replace the transfer case" (past tense).

Also, wasn't there a recall for transfer case?

Most horror stories like these are not because of vehicle itself, but how the dealership system is setup. They don't do proper diagnostics, they just replace parts at your cost.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:25 AM

Wow that's insane.. Do you think this can be done D.I.Y? If not, any suggestions of where I can find any independent ex-bmw mechanics? Is there a website that I can use to find them? Thank you so much for the suggestion ard
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post

Most horror stories like these are not because of vehicle itself, but how the dealership system is setup. They don't do proper diagnostics, they just replace parts at your cost.
My mistake, they DID NOT repair and they did call me about the problem and I declined the repair and brought the car back.. And no, the only recall I know is the VANOS bolt recall which was issued last year and yes I agree with you in regards to their service/repair procedures...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X; 2005 X3
Find your independent mechanic: www.bimmershops.com
Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Thank you veery for the link!

Also, any thoughts of these threads? Do you think these may relate to the issue I'm having, they mention "Transfer Case" in all of them (if not most)...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=733249
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...aft-today.html
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...876&highlight=
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Maybe a partial brain fart on my part...I was thinking rear differential since I read the term "rear"....

This part is up front, I think ALL those links are germane to your issue. Read and understand those.

Tell the dealer you want a parts list. Tell him you priced the one part he provided and it is $2673. You are concerned. 20 hours of labor seems inflated too. And this seems to be an issue that BMW is covering out of warranty in special situations.

I would very clearly let them know to NOT do any further work. The service advisor's sole job is to manipulate you into spending $$$. Understand they are NOT a source of accurate information. By stopping work, yanking them up short and not acting needy and clueless you can affect the dynamic....

IMO
Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Thank you ard, as I have already picked up my car I will contact the dealership and complain and if they can't cover me under warranty in this special situation, I guess I'll lean towards Indy mechanics for the repairs. Thanks again
Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post

so was there a recall for the transfer case?
Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 SAV M-Sport
I had the same issue... have over 94K miles on my 2012 and my dealer contacted BMW and they covered replacement parts and labor replaced as good will. I agree you may want to contact a different dealer your current one does not seem to be helping you out at all.

2012 BMW X5 3.5i SAV M-Sport (Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown)
ZCV, ZCW, ZMP, 300, 456, 655, 6NF, 6NR
BMW CCA Member # 461861
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacker2411 View Post
I had the same issue... have over 94K miles on my 2012 and my dealer contacted BMW and they covered replacement parts and labor replaced as good will. I agree you may want to contact a different dealer your current one does not seem to be helping you out at all.
Also, BMW only pays the dealer "factory rates" for labor. Well below the 'over the door' prices...AND they specifiy how many hours they pay- far less than what the dealer is quoting here.

As a result, it is not unheard of for a dealer to- after BMW says "we will cover it" turn around and tell the customer, "I battled hard for you and got BMW to cover 75%". Then then pocket the BMW reimbursement as well as the extra 25% of the retail quote.

BMWNA will not tell you how much they are paying.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
so was there a recall for the transfer case?
My recollection for the V8.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive35i
I had the exact same problem, and replacing the transfer case solved the problem. Warranty covered all the cost so I don't know how much the transfer case was.
But in general, Canadian dealers charge way more than US dealers for parts.. and it took 2 full days, probably 16 hours or so.. + 2~3 hours of diagnose before concluding that it was transfer case. $9000 could make sense in Canada.

I have seen many owners with this problem... there must be something wrong in 2011~2012 model or in general xDrive.....
Old 08-04-2015, 06:20 AM

edwardmagichand, so I'm assuming you had the EXACT same problem? Vigorous wobbling from the rear when turning hard in slow speed? Was your X5 under warranty? 35i? When did you get the transfer case replaced?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Will someone describe how anything forward of the rear final drive unit can cause a differential drive to left and right output shafts?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

@Asian,
I guess my problem was the same problem as yours. It was more like front than rear though, but theoretically it could be rear or front because all the 4 wheels' speeds are different in that situation.
Mine was under warranty.
2012 35i
Put mine in to service on June 29 8AM, got it back on June 30th 5PM

Diagnose was done earlier, they ordered the transfer case, came in from Germany(they said).
Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325xi
Did you get the 4x4, BRAKE!, lights to show when the transfer case failed?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 PM

@chimpskibot yeah we actually got the 4X4 right after we picked up our car from the dealership because of HPFP issue.. We were driving back home and on the highway, it showed Engine malfunction AND 4x4 message and it slowly stopped itself on middle of the high way... They only could find the problem for the engine malfunction and that was a defective/faulty oxygen sensor and throttle body.. Maybe the 4x4 was caused because of the transfer case.. Did that happen to you chimp?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Mine threw no codes.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Does anyone know the fuse that controls the xDrive/transfer case? According to my friend (he was a BMW mechanic), there is a fuse that controls the transfer case and if I pull that out, the car would be in RWD mode... In addition, he told me that if I do not hear the wobbling/vibration after 'disabling' the transfer case, he mentions that the transfer case is the culprit. Any ideas wether the fuse is located in the fuse box located underneath the glove compartment or in the trunk and which fuse it is? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

"was" a BMW mechanic?

IMO one you "are" you "are".

Get a decent diagnosis from a real mechanic- stop with internet diagnoses...you get a $9000 estimate- which may be a major rip off, or medium rip off....then you turn to grasping at straws from other lost souls saying "I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM".

Find a local independent- do that have BMWCCA up there with local shop listings???
Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Well Worn

Mein Auto: '07 E93-335i, '13 E70-50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
- stop with internet diagnoses....then you turn to grasping at straws from other lost souls saying "I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM".
ard, what the...???
Is this not, alt least in part, what forums are here for *nod yes*. "Other lost souls" here in the Bimmerfest forum have led us to valid diagnoses and repairs time and again.
Besides, if we weren't here "grasping at straws" you'd just have to seek out some other forums to spend your time plying your curmudgeonly skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Find a local independent
Sound, constructive advise!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilBMW View Post
ard, what the...???
Is this not, alt least in part, what forums are here for *nod yes*. "Other lost souls" here in the Bimmerfest forum have led us to valid diagnoses and repairs time and again.
Besides, if we weren't here "grasping at straws" you'd just have to seek out some other forums to spend your time plying your curmudgeonly skill.

Sound, constructive advise!
Of course I am a ardent supporter of collaborative diagnoses, group support, etc, etc.

It is the utter nonsense when someone says 'a light came on and the back end vibrated' and people reply 'the EXACT thing happened to me' that makes me crazy.

I think folks see SOME issues that are incredibly specific- where a symptom maps clearly to a fault (the fuel pump relay is one) that they think this will work for any issue. It rarely does

There seems to be a feeling that people believe they can describe what they experience with their senses, with such specificity, that someone will give them a solution...

"I was driving down east main street, home from my daughters ballet class, when the 4x4 light came on OUT OF THE BLUE!" "Id driven that road many times with no light...what could it possibly be?".

Anyway, enought curmudgeoning...
Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 PM

In fact, because there was someone asking about "vibration while turning" and someone else answering "had the same problem and replacing transfer case fixed the problem", I was able to realize that my transfer case was NOT normal and brought it in to the service. Without those vague, looks like nothing information helped me a lot to realize the problem and fix the problem.

There was no code, no vibration in most of the case. It happens only in this very specific situation. Even certified BMW tech guy couldn't diagnose this problem at first sight. I had to explain it again and showed him how to reproduce the problem. I was able to do that because of that information from the forum.

Sometimes not very informative information could be very helpful to someone else.