Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Sounds like some of your dealerships are quite the dushbags.

No questions asked and no charge to fix mine. They were fully aware that this is an ongoing issue.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Sounds like some of your dealerships are quite the dushbags.

No questions asked and no charge to fix mine. They were fully aware that this is an ongoing issue.
Lucy you. I have the same issue with my 2010. Paid the dealer $325 to look into it and they wanted $1100 additional to fix it. They told me the same thing that it was hit from behind and I don't see any marks.

I'll have to check with another dealership and see if they will fix it under warranty.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ If you do get it covered by any dealer, you can go back to the one that charged you $325 and bend them over for the refund.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X5
Okay, I may very well be going insane, but need to ask the question.

I just got my rear bumper replaced, and now for driving it a couple days, there is an ever so small gap between the bumper and the body again. When tailgate is closed, is it normal for there to be ANY daylight visible between rear bumper and body? I can push it in and it stays there, but after driving a little, it comes back out like 2mm or so. I just don't know if this is normal design of the bumper.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 5.0 X5
Put pics in album on bimmerfest . Why aren't they visible ?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 5.0 X5
how do I get my album of pics to appear

how do I get my album of pics to appear
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
^^ If you do get it covered by any dealer, you can go back to the one that charged you $325 and bend them over for the refund.
Talked to another dealer and also asked my SA again and was told that unless BMW agrees to cover this, they will not replace it....
Old 11-25-2011, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: 530xi and X5
Got my back bumper replaced for FREEEEEE!!!

To all of the expert dummies on here who think they know everything and real don't know squat. I would like to flip you all a virtual bird as four things have occurred: 1. My BMW dealer now has acknowledged that they have a back bumper quality issue on the 2010-2011 BMW X5s, cheap quality; 2. They replaced my bumper for free; 3. the 2012 models now have a different bumper and 4. I sold my x5 and got a brand new Range Rover and will never buy another Bimmer again. So once again, to you know nothings, please stick to knowing nothing, because in the world of people who make money, have money and know how to negotiate, anything is possible. Now go back to the hovels that you have for homes and pretend your are somebody by driving that box with wheels you call a Bimmer around your po-dunk town.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzino View Post
To all of the expert dummies on here who think they know everything and real don't know squat. I would like to flip you all a virtual bird as four things have occurred: 1. My BMW dealer now has acknowledged that they have a back bumper quality issue on the 2010-2011 BMW X5s, cheap quality; 2. They replaced my bumper for free; 3. the 2012 models now have a different bumper and 4. I sold my x5 and got a brand new Range Rover and will never buy another Bimmer again. So once again, to you know nothings, please stick to knowing nothing, because in the world of people who make money, have money and know how to negotiate, anything is possible. Now go back to the hovels that you have for homes and pretend your are somebody by driving that box with wheels you call a Bimmer around your po-dunk town.
Cool Story Bro
Old 11-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 11-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Don't let the door hit ya, where the lord split ya!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
to all of the expert dummies on here who think they know everything and real don't know squat. I would like to flip you all a virtual bird as four things have occurred: 1. My bmw dealer now has acknowledged that they have a back bumper quality issue on the 2010-2011 bmw x5s, cheap quality; 2. They replaced my bumper for free; 3. The 2012 models now have a different bumper and 4. I sold my x5 and got a brand new range rover and will never buy another bimmer again. So once again, to you know nothings, please stick to knowing nothing, because in the world of people who make money, have money and know how to negotiate, anything is possible. Now go back to the hovels that you have for homes and pretend your are somebody by driving that box with wheels you call a bimmer around your po-dunk town.
csb

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i (ordered)
Quote:
Wow, a brand new Range Rover?!........you must make a lot of money!

Last edited by Marshotel; 11-25-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012MY X5
Have a 2012 MY X5 M sport that I picked up in Dec 2011.
Was at the dealers on friday to get a small squeak behind the drivers seat looked at, took technician out for drive so he could hear, yup squeak coming from back of rear seat.
SO
Parks back at dealers opens trunk and tech (fairly big lad) jumps in boot space to see if he could identify where noise was coming from. No joy, so he jumps out and when I close tailgate the fecking bumper catches on the lower tailgate.

Now cars never been hit (since I owned it) and he says it must have been. Then I remember reading this and other threads about the weak clips and them popping on X5's and I mention this to him, straight away he says they will fix under warranty. So they must recognise this is a common problem. It did push back down and seems ok for now, but will get it properly fixed as once clips pop I think they will be prone to continue doing it as they are weak in the first place.

After leaving dealers I remembered that when I was checking the car over before handover there was a very light scratch (barley recognisble) on the rear bumper that I agreed could be touched in & polished. Scratch was quite small, low down & I didn't want a painted bumper on a new car and didn't fancy reordering another car and waiting 6-8weeks for UK delivery, so agreed to the touch in repair.

Cars booked in next week, so hopefully get squeak and bumper fixed.

UPDATE:

Squeak fixed - was 2 bits plastic trim rubbing against each other
Bumper fixed - taken off and realinged, clips were not broken, they had just popped out So all good now.

Last edited by 5wany; 02-21-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
You trash BMW quality and go buy a Land Rover? A brand constantly on the bottom of every quality/reliability chart?

Good luck with that
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5wany View Post
Have a 2012 MY X5 M sport that I picked up in Dec 2011.
Was at the dealers on friday to get a small squeak behind the drivers seat looked at, took technician out for drive so he could hear, yup squeak coming from back of rear seat.
SO
Parks back at dealers opens trunk and tech (fairly big lad) jumps in boot space to see if he could identify where noise was coming from. No joy, so he jumps out and when I close tailgate the fecking bumper catches on the lower tailgate.

Now cars never been hit (since I owned it) and he says it must have been. Then I remember reading this and other threads about the weak clips and them popping on X5's and I mention this to him, straight away he says they will fix under warranty. So they must recognise this is a common problem. It did push back down and seems ok for now, but will get it properly fixed as once clips pop I think they will be prone to continue doing it as they are weak in the first place.

After leaving dealers I remembered that when I was checking the car over before handover there was a very light scratch (barley recognisble) on the rear bumper that I agreed could be touched in & polished. Scratch was quite small, low down & I didn't want a painted bumper on a new car and didn't fancy reordering another car and waiting 6-8weeks for UK delivery, so agreed to the touch in repair.

Cars booked in next week, so hopefully get squeak and bumper fixed.
Ah, you must be one of those that have money, make money and know how to negotiate!

Excellent.

Me, I'm hanging in my hovel out here in po-dunk town...

Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Seems you ran out of your medication. I hope your psychiatrist can get you a refill asap. Please let us know how the bumper on your Range Rover performs after you back into a fire hydrant. We are all interested. I have no doubt that your Range Rover will be worry free for many many years. In the mean time, let me contact the Commerce Secretary and let him know about your outstanding negotiating skills. I am sure we could use your skills when dealing with China. After all, judging from your post, you are a level headed guy with great people skills.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012MY X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Ah, you must be one of those that have money, make money and know how to negotiate!

Excellent.

Me, I'm hanging in my hovel out here in po-dunk town...

ME..naw, I just think Range Rovers are 3.5tonnes of scrap thats why I didn't buy one.

My deciding factor was that I need to use my car 365days a year, so the usual 200 or so days you get with a RR just wouldn't do

Perhaps Palazzino is able to negotiate cheap bus fares during a RR's downtime thus saving money that he can spend on some toilet paper to wipe away the p1sh he is dribbling from his mouth. No wonder the RR salesman was able to con this clown into buying one, if his rant is any reflection on his reduced mental capacity.

My nearest RR dealer just sold up their city centre plot in po-dunk town & moved to an out of city middle class village site that has, yeah u guessed it a BMW (with seperate M cars site) & Merc dealerships already there. No doubt RR did this as they are trying to steal sales from the other two
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM

What should I do?

I have a 2010 X5 and it now has the rear bumper bulge, as described by several others here.

I left it at the dealer yesterday, and I got a call back from the dealer saying that the tech looked at it initially and he thinks it is the clips, and it would be 250$ to get it fixed. I argued about the bumper quality problem, he said there is a little mark from a license plate screw in the bumper, so someone hit me, so it cannot be covered under warranty.

I started calling other dealers nearby, explaining the issue (to see if some other dealer would cover it under warranty) and they all told me the same thing, if someone hit me, it wouldn't be covered.

Now the dealer where I left my car called me and said the tech removed the bumper and the clips that are broken are the clips in the bumper itself, and the only way to fix it is to replace the bumper for 875$.

I refuse to pay this money for something that is clearly a quality issue, and in my mind should be covered under warranty. I had several other cars before, and never had anything like this happening.

For now, I told him to put everything back together, and I will leave it like this. He said they will put it back together and give me a call so I can pick-up the car.

What should I do???
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM

I just called BMW NA and they basically called the dealer and just said dealer stated there are marks of impact (tiny little license plate screw mark) and it will not be covered under warranty, and recommended me to go through my insurance

I live in NYC, should I contact consumer affairs? What about the NY state "bumper law"?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelho View Post
I just called BMW NA and they basically called the dealer and just said dealer stated there are marks of impact (tiny little license plate screw mark) and it will not be covered under warranty, and recommended me to go through my insurance

I live in NYC, should I contact consumer affairs? What about the NY state "bumper law"?
If the clips are actually broken they may have a point. When this was happening to me the clips werent broken, the bumper was just popping off.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM

On the phone with my insurance now. Let's see what they say...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelho View Post
I have a 2010 X5 and it now has the rear bumper bulge, as described by several others here.

I left it at the dealer yesterday, and I got a call back from the dealer saying that the tech looked at it initially and he thinks it is the clips, and it would be 250$ to get it fixed. I argued about the bumper quality problem, he said there is a little mark from a license plate screw in the bumper, so someone hit me, so it cannot be covered under warranty.

I started calling other dealers nearby, explaining the issue (to see if some other dealer would cover it under warranty) and they all told me the same thing, if someone hit me, it wouldn't be covered.

Now the dealer where I left my car called me and said the tech removed the bumper and the clips that are broken are the clips in the bumper itself, and the only way to fix it is to replace the bumper for 875$.

I refuse to pay this money for something that is clearly a quality issue, and in my mind should be covered under warranty. I had several other cars before, and never had anything like this happening.

For now, I told him to put everything back together, and I will leave it like this. He said they will put it back together and give me a call so I can pick-up the car.

What should I do???
I had the same exact experience. Although, I don't think I had any marks on the bumper which would indicate any impact to it. This seems to be a know issue for '10 model. There are some who have gotten the bumper replaced under warranty. I even showed the SA copies of the threads where folks have gotten it repaired under warranty and he just shrugged it off.

Unless BMW acknowledges the issue, no dealer is going to fix it under warranty.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x5 50i
I just picked up my brand new 2013 X5 with the M sport package and noticed this same issue. No accidents, in fact the car has less than 100 miles on it. I have a friend with a 2012 and he said he has the same problem. This is obviously a quality issue. The dealer is going to look at it this week but it sounds like this may be a recurring problem. Any suggestions for a more permanent fix? *
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 750XLi-Sport & X5
Quote:
Your US bumper law says those bumpers have to withstand a 5 mph (no damage) hit.
That is American design regulations;
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not an entirely accurate interpretation of the law.
The 5 mph bumper law requires there be no damage to the safety systems of the vehicle (lights, etc) when the bumper is struck at 5mph.
There is NO requirement saying there can not be damage to the bumper itself.
Quite the contrary actually. Modern bumpers are designed to absorb the impact. That's why newer bumpers look like a honeycomb structure - what you see on the outside is just a painted cover or skin.