Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 35d
2009 X5 rear bumper problem

Ive got the exact same issue on my 2009 X5.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
As a new owner of a 08 X5 with 12,000 miles on it. I have noticed in others that I've looked at, that this is a common issue. My guess is that they were installed incorrectly, not that we'll ever hear that. Since nobody has taken a pic of what is being talked about, I thought I'd go out and snap a pic of what..I think..is being discussed. It looks as if those tabs are suppose to go under, not over the top, like they are. If it is the issue, I'd love to get it fixed before is warps from the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0280.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	351971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0281.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	351972  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
I have 2013 BMW X5 M-Sport package. Same problem with it. There is a section where the gap between the top of the rear bumper and the tailgate is not even. I noticed it the first time I washed. Upon further inspection I notice that section of the bumper could be pushed down. Took it to the dealer, they told me this is a common problem due to that section of the bumper being soft"er" plastic. I was told they could heat the top of the bumper and make it lie flat, but that over time with the heat in South Texas it would just crease up again. I get frustrated because as I drive around I see vehicles that cost about $40k less that have perfect gaps between the top of their bumpers and tailgate...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E70, E39
I seem to have the same issue on my E70.

Lets see what the dealer says. If anyone could share their experience on if they took care of the issues under warranty or were you forced to repair on your own while under warranty?

-mola
Old 03-23-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Have 2010 X5 35d (02/2010) and have found that my bumper is also not very tight, not popped as first pics in this thread but more like MIX5 posted, you can see pretty big gap between bumper and body. Since I'm planning to install trailer hitch soon I will not go to the dealer yet.

Will report back when I take it off for hitch install.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Timely resurrection of an old thread as I am having this exact problem with my 2010. Noticed that the lower tailgate was difficult to close and upon further examination found out that the black plastic bumper cover has popped up in the center and it was catching the tail gate when closing. Right now solved the problem by pushing with my hand the bumper cover down while closing the tail gate.

Will see what the dealership says next week when bringing it in for service. Interested to hear as well what others were told by their SA.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
Since I'm planning to install trailer hitch soon I will not go to the dealer yetl.
So the dealer can claim "It was damaged when someone took it off to do the hitch"?
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
So the dealer can claim "It was damaged when someone took it off to do the hitch"?
Good point

Planning to stop by at dealer to see if I have all soft up to date so I can code hitch by myself so will let them check it out.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: E70 2013 X5 M sport 30 d
Having same issue

Hi all, having same issue with my 1 month old X5. Very disappointing and annoying after paying so much and even more annoying to be told by the dealership that its caused by a bump. They have found a miniscule mark which i couldnt see myself and saying this is the reason. They are rechecking tomorrow - after much protest from myself - this time internally rather than just basing it on the exterior mark - although I don't know how even if it was bumped on the left hand side the right side somehow becomes warped ????? I directed them to these blogs but was told these are all US messages. I noticed it after an unusually hot week in the UK 2 weeks ago. Hopefully I get a better answer tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	389123  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	389124  
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Just an update. We've had a VERY hot summer here in the Midwest. So far, my bumper has stayed straight as can be. I do my best to keep it garaged, and out of the sun however. You'd think that, of all things, a bumper would be engineered to not warp when tapped, or not, in some cases. But then, what do I know...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
After 4 pages.. finally someone posts a good quality picture to clearly see the bumper problems..
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 AM

I never had this problem before but after I did dealer hitch install I've got it too... It's popping out after opening and closing lower gate, looks like one or two clips not in place. Heading to dealer for oil change and ask to fix that too.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 AM

Thanks Kzang - I'll drop in an updated photo later maybe of the end result.

Well - after arguing all week with the dealership's expert who kept saying that my car had been hit and getting no proper answer from him or the sales guy regarding why a tiny hit (supposedly) on the left hand side would result in a warping/ buckling on the right hand side the issue was pushed on to BMW UK customer service. I told the dealership's expert I was in no way convinced by his opinion and that it was far from conclusive that the car had been hit. He just sounded stumped and unable to tell me why the right was buckled because of a left side hit and why the left side was ok. He sounded a bit worried because the mark he had managed to find was minute and barely visible but now realised that it didn't make any sense regarding the damage on the right.

I'm not at all sure that what I was trying to point out was communicated correctly - that the buckling on the right was heat/clips popping out related which may have also resulted in the left side clip breaking and that its been noted here by other people on this thread. I'm pretty sure the dealership asked BMW UK whether they would pay to fix the bumper which was hit - not pointing out that there may have been a faulty product problem. I got sick of being told we have never seen this before (thus invalidating my claims that it was not hit) and trying to direct them to this site to which they just kept saying oh yeah but we've never seen this ourselves.

It was completely infuriating dealing with people who had no intention of really helping or acknowledging responsibility whilst at the same time giving me the "we're here for you and it's in our best interests to look after you " spiel. So inevitably BMW UK came back with a no on providing any assistance.

By this time I had picked up the car because I knew BMW UK wouldn't be in any rush to come back with an answer and to my great surprise it came back looking perfect. Getting a clean and polish was a nice touch. The sales guy had no idea what the story was. Finally getting someone come back to me 5 days later it seems that when they put it back on after inspection it flattened out when all the clips were put back in place. The very left side clip is still broken but as its internal its not something I'm going to spend 1000+ on to get fixed. My main issue was the ugly buckling but no one thought to tell me that it was gone after they had put the bumper back on (about 3 days before I picked it up). Feel like mentioning the dealership name but that wouldn't be of benefit to anyone. It still riles me though that I've just spent a lot on a high end product which should be perfect (at least longer than 2-3 weeks !) and I'm making do with sub par already.

Just hope the clips don't come loose again now. Relieved it's looking ok and hasn't resulted in more money coming out of my pocket (and soothed a bit by having the car cleaned and polished) but not a great customer experience overall. Would prefer not to have the stress.

Funny coincidence - just received a follow up call from the service centre now as I'm finishing this - regarding my happiness with their service ! Basically have told them what I've written here and it my be looked into again.

Last edited by XZeb; 08-10-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sport wagon
Oh Ya!

This happened to me also. But a different twist. I actually got bumped in a car wash requiring the replacemet of the rear bumper. The new one popped out after a few weeks took it back to the body shop along with some of these posts. They fixed it under their warrenty and reported tio me that they fixed it right and it would not be a problem in the future. So far it has not been a problem.

Cal
2010 X5 3.0
Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: S5 & E36t
Hey guys, can anybody list the part number of the clip that breaks? I understand some of the issues involve the bumper just getting mis-aligned. I'm going to remove mine tomorrow to look and just want to be ready with clips in case one is broken.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
Hey guys, can anybody list the part number of the clip that breaks? I understand some of the issues involve the bumper just getting mis-aligned. I'm going to remove mine tomorrow to look and just want to be ready with clips in case one is broken.

Thanks in advance!
Mike
I was slightly bumped whille waiting for the lights to change. Visually could not see any marks on the bumper at first but when I took it to the body shop because I had then noticed warping at the top part of the bumper at/near the point of contact and the lower gate rubbing like the others who had the same issue.

As it was the fault of the other driver, his insurance is paying for getting it fixed. The body shop quoted with replacing the bumper with original parts and my insurance company wants the body shop to use after market. The body shop has told the insurance company that they only use approved (original) parts from the manufacturer. I am waiting to hear back.

The part #'s you are looking for is what is on the estimate as "Side body rivets - total required 16 (8 on each side) - Part # 07 14 2 151 750. The estimate does not mention any "clips".

Other parts being replaced:

Rear Bumper cover 51 12 7 178 280
Rear Inr Bumper Bracket 51 12 7 226 939
Rear Bumper repair Bezel Kit 51 12 7 154 094

Total bill for parts and labour: $2279.00
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
<>

Total bill for parts and labour: $2279.00
Wow. Not cheap
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 M Package
Hey guys-add an owner of a 2013 X5 M-Package to the list. Same issues - did not hit anything and no scratches on the bumper. Noticed the wave at the top of the rear bumper as many have described.
Does anyone know if removing the bumper and replacing the clips does the job? Can we get the clips from the web?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Funny,
When I saw this thread before I picked up the new '13 E70, before I drove off the dealer's lot, I checked the bumper to see if this issue was inherent on the car.

I had this this particular item on my check list before I got to the dealer along with making sure the cargo cover was intact, fuel adapter cylinder, spare tools, and manuals.

Nope, no uneveness or waves or any of the joints were off. Looked perfect when I took delivery but I can see how the cars can sit on the dealer's lot and being moved around, the bumpers could get hit and cause the top of the bumper to move out.

Appears that the top of the bumper attaches on the top via notches & groove that join the inner fascia and the bumper shell.

There does not appear to be any clips that I can see unless they are used underneath ??

By looking at the design of the top edges of the bumper mating to the inner fascia, I can see any slight bump will cause the very tiny notches to come off line and cause the warpage..
Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw X5 E70 3.0SD
Hmm..
the only way to fix this is to replace the bumper for 875$ ...
Any good ideas how to repair this - as do it yourself way in friends shop?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X5
Mine was fixed by dealers repair since I took it in same day that I took delivery. They acknowledged it was something they should have fixed during the CPO. I'm just lucky as I've heard others had to pay out of pocket. Mine was completely new bumper and everything so would have been in the 2k range
Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
.... Appears that the top of the bumper attaches on the top via notches & groove that join the inner fascia and the bumper shell.

There does not appear to be any clips that I can see unless they are used underneath ??

By looking at the design of the top edges of the bumper mating to the inner fascia, I can see any slight bump will cause the very tiny notches to come off line and cause the warpage..
Correct: here's a pic of the rear bumper rail and bracket. Pre-LCI items 2 and 8, and LCI item 8 and 10 are the so called "clips" that hold the bumper facia in place. These parts are rails or brackets with plastic "tabs" built in.

Bumper facia is ONE LARGE MOLDED PIECE ... a small twist, flex or bump can pop the facia tabs .... especially in cold weather when things are more rigid ...

The tabs in bracket item 8 (shown separately) like to break when bumper is removed, e.g. for trailer hitch install. Installer may/or may not notice this and not replace the piece ... without this tab the bumper is more prone to flexing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e70 pre-LCI bumper.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	416186   Click image for larger version

Name:	e70 LCI bumper parts.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	416187   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI rear bumper tabs.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	416188   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken tab on bracket #8.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	416189   Click image for larger version

Name:	backet #8.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	416190  

BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzino View Post
Here is a picture of the shoddy bumper that BMW has installed on the 2010 X5s.
Not sure if the bumper can be fixed or not, but the shorts... definitely.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
..... These parts are rails or brackets with plastic "tabs" built in.

Bumper facia is ONE LARGE MOLDED PIECE ... a small twist, flex or bump can pop the facia tabs .... especially in cold weather when things are more rigid ...

The tabs in bracket item 8 (shown separately) like to break when bumper is removed, e.g. for trailer hitch install. Installer may/or may not notice this and not replace the piece ... without this tab the bumper is more prone to flexing.
PAX5,
That's what I wanted to say - "Tabs".
The tabs mate with the notched slots in the bumper fascia.

Never thought about the trailer hitch installation but you are correct - video shows hitch installation requires removal of the rear bumper so if not installed exactly as it was when taken off, the warpage can occur.

And the cold weather does not help as it becomes rigid and easier to pop off with a slight bump.

When popped off, it is easy to see the warpage occur when the weather warms up and heats the bumper surfaces.

I can see the very weak engineering in these bumpers that causes an eyesore.