Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Premium 2000 323i
Insurance Anti-Theft discount questions.

Most of the car insruances offer a discount for those cars with the anti-theft option,
which means that the car can be located when it is stolen.

My X5 has the option "8SP COP CONTROL".
However, when I faxed my car option document to my insurance agency,
they asked for "Lojack" option instead.

Does anybody know which one is the "Lojack" option?
Or does X5 come eqipped it? What's the "COP CONTROL" option for?

Thanks
Bo

Last edited by oboye; 04-06-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Premium
LoJack is a device that is used to track your car when stolen. Some police patrols have the tracking units. It needs to be purchased for about $700, that's what I paid 7 years ago.
LoJack will install the device in your car and will not tell you where it is, even if your car is stolen and vandalized like mine, so I could not recover my unit to use in another car...

Last edited by NOX 3.2; 04-06-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X6 3.5
I remember when I bought my previous x5, they pushed lojack as one of the add ons. They don't do that anymore because BMW assist can find the car for you. Dealerships never miss an opportunity to make more money, so there should be absolutely no advantage of a lojack in a modern BMW.

Do you think the insurance company in question is misinformed, or are they too not missing an opportunity to make money by only accepting lojack for theft recovery?

My allstste agent just asked me if I had BMW assist. I said yes and he checked off theft recovery. That's my agent though; who knows what the drones at the 1-800 number would have done. I've had them do all kinds of crazy things.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
I remember when I bought my previous x5, they pushed lojack as one of the add ons. They don't do that anymore because BMW assist can find the car for you. Dealerships never miss an opportunity to make more money, so there should be absolutely no advantage of a lojack in a modern BMW.

Do you think the insurance company in question is misinformed, or are they too not missing an opportunity to make money by only accepting lojack for theft recovery?

My allstste agent just asked me if I had BMW assist. I said yes and he checked off theft recovery. That's my agent though; who knows what the drones at the 1-800 number would have done. I've had them do all kinds of crazy things.
We had allstate insurance as well and the agent doesn't know anything about BMW assist.
Do you mind check your allstate bill and find the name of the discount, so I can talk to my agent what to add.

Thanks