Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
[QUOTE=UncleJ;5260220][QUOTE= The Cayenne has never been superior to its equivalent X5, and they are notably more expensive. The base Cayenne with the 300 hp V6 and standard leather is in my view a better deal than the base X5. It is less expensive and has more standard content than the X5 base. Aside from not seeing one everytime you turn a corner (like you do here) the Cayenne just looks better to me. Subjective of course but that's what car styling is. No one likes everything. The X5 3.0 does get better gas mileage however.[/QUOTE]

I just have to point out that the V6 is a VW engine. The first V6 in the Touareg/Cayenne was a complete disaster. VWs strength is not in v6 engine design. Case in point, all of their A4s have dropped the v6 option in favor of the 2.0t 4 cylinder. The BMW 35i engine is significantly better (engine of the year when the first version came out in 2007 - and yes, I know that it is now a single turbo dual scroll vs. twin turbo).

I would also caution you on two other fronts. Service and options. First, you will pay an arm and a leg to get the Porsche serviced. BMW is free for 4 years. Secondly, everything is an option on a Porsche. You want seats - you have to pay for those. You want a radio, you have to pay extra. Wheels, cough it up. Clock - yes that costs extra too. The nickel and diming that Porsche does is outrageous to say the least. I am surprised they don't charge you to drive every mile!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
While the A4 has moved to a 4 cyl turbo the S4 retains a supercharged V6. The A6 use V6, V8, and V10. The VW V6 is alive and well used in VW, Audi, and of course Porsche Cayenne. Take an objective look at the standard specs of both the base Cayenne and the base X5 for a better example of what is on offer at the entry level. Yes Porsche will eat you alive with options, but so will BMW (and virtually all other marques) you just have to shop carefully.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
While the A4 has moved to a 4 cyl turbo the S4 retains a supercharged V6. The A6 use V6, V8, and V10. The VW V6 is alive and well used in VW, Audi, and of course Porsche Cayenne. Take an objective look at the standard specs of both the base Cayenne and the base X5 for a better example of what is on offer at the entry level. Yes Porsche will eat you alive with options, but so will BMW (and virtually all other marques) you just have to shop carefully.
True, but Audi's 3.2 v6 is uncompetitive vs. the competition. The reason they dropped it was that their own 2.0T was nearly the same in performance! Other than the Touareg and CC, you can't find a V6 in VWs lineup anymore. The new supercharged V6 is a different story though and will give them credit for finally bringing a V6 out that is good. Hate to burst your bubble on the S6, but the V10 in that car is a massive under-performer. Audi slaps a v10 badge on it hoping to get some sucker to buy it for that. For that displacement and # of cylinders, it should be a rocket ship. 435 hp from that engine is a joke. BMW can do a 4.4l 8 cylinder that gets 555hp. Enough said. Ward's auto gave BMW's straight 6 gasoline and diesel engine top honors. VW's competitive advantage is in the 4 cylinder market.

Finally, you are making an unfair comparison between the Cayenne v6 and the BMW x5 30. You should be comparing against an X5 35i. How much do you think its gonna cost to service a cayenne over 4 years? I bet a lot more than the base differential. Get ready for >$1,000 service bills.

Last edited by twhit1; 06-20-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: Touareg (for now)
I know I don't talk about porsche dealers here but I can share some about VW dealers. As I don't have any experience with the BMW shop yet, I can tell you the VW dealers here totally suck. I am originally from Europe (that's why the lousy english) and have driven VW group vehicles (audi and VW)for the longest time. As good as my experience in europe is, servicing my V8 touareg here is a joke. They are unprofessional, have no clue what to do with this car as they service only a few and are more geared towards the main market, golfs, Jettas and Passats.

I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI for the wife as this is the only diesel wagon available on the market at this point. I did go to the dealer to negotiate a new diesel touareg until I drove a X5 Diesel. The difference how the BMW dealer treats his customers compared to the VW is night and day. It's just my opinion and might not be shared by others, but take the time to read the touareg and Cayenne forums and you will find out.

Again, i know you are talking about the Cayenne but for me it's just a re-badged touareg.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRental View Post
I know I don't talk about porsche dealers here but I can share some about VW dealers. As I don't have any experience with the BMW shop yet, I can tell you the VW dealers here totally suck. I am originally from Europe (that's why the lousy english) and have driven VW group vehicles (audi and VW)for the longest time. As good as my experience in europe is, servicing my V8 touareg here is a joke. They are unprofessional, have no clue what to do with this car as they service only a few and are more geared towards the main market, golfs, Jettas and Passats.

I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI for the wife as this is the only diesel wagon available on the market at this point. I did go to the dealer to negotiate a new diesel touareg until I drove a X5 Diesel. The difference how the BMW dealer treats his customers compared to the VW is night and day. It's just my opinion and might not be shared by others, but take the time to read the touareg and Cayenne forums and you will find out.

Again, i know you are talking about the Cayenne but for me it's just a re-badged touareg.
Agreed, When I take The V10 to the VW dealer, they are used to dealing with Jetta owners and have only 1 Tech for the Touareg who always has trouble working on it. I have had a Porsche in the past and they are much better, they just charge more, though the Oil Changes on the V10 are $ 200.00 at the VW Dealer.

I drove both the 2011 Cayenne S and the Turbo, they are both very different from the Old Cayenne. Much more "Car Like", and very good handling. Really Nice Interiors !! Only thing is the ugly rear end.

Last edited by CAX5; 06-20-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 AM

tw, I don't disagree with what you say. I am a fan of the BMW straight six (I have one after all) but I also like the VW/Audi V6 (have one of those too). The price difference between the base Cayenne and X5 is about $7400 give or take. You can do a fair amount of service for that in 4 years even at Porsche prices. The VW/Audi V6 is also still used in the A5 and of course the Q ships. The S6 V10 is over rated and over priced (but I would still like one if I could get it really cheap!)

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-21-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh, its "That Guy"

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAX5 View Post
I drove both the 2011 Cayenne S and the Turbo, they are both very different from the Old Cayenne. Much more "Car Like", and very good handling.
I have not driven the new Cayenne thus can't comment. Sounds like they are changing the formula as Gen 1 was a proper 4X4. It could wheel in places a X5 wouldn't dream of touching. E53 nor E70. Locking diffs, selectable traction control mapping for different surfaces, adjustable ride height, and real skid plates. It handled well on the road too.

But the E70 is the better looking of the two.

2011 135i
2009 X5 4.8i (retired)
2008 535xi (retired)
2005 Z4 3.0i (retired)
2003 325i (retired)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Just wonder how many of you recently cross shopped the X5 with Cayenne. I know that Cayenne is certainly more expensive, and styling wise people have their preferences, but I notice that the reviews so far for the new Cayenne have all been very positive. BMW is of course more expensive than all the Japanese, Audi and maybe MB, and Porsche just goes one step further in terms of the cost. It's strange to say that BMW may actually offer more value.

I see X5 all over the place. Cayenne? Pretty rare.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
Like I said earlier I currently own both, I need to replace my X5 so I've been on the hunt for a replacement. Down to the X5, Q7, or the 2011 Cayenne. I love the new look of the Cayenne and the interior has been improved. I took my Cayenne in for service and test drove the S while waiting, I almost bought it on the spot. I also test drove a new X5, I still think it is a better built car, more comfortable to drive, and I drive a lot. I like the BMW maintenance plan, it saves a couple grand over the life of the warranty and I like the BMW dealership better.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 35i, 2011 RRS
I recently cross shopped the '11 X5 and X6 35i with the '11 Cayenne V6. It was funny, about 3-4 months ago, I would have bet money that I would be driving a Cayenne right now. I LOVE the new interior and really like the new exterior...even the rear-end is starting to grow on me. I currently have an '09 Cayman that I love and have had good experience with the local Porsche dealership.

I bought the x6.

Ultimately, I was disappointed with the performance if the V6 Cayenne - judging only by published stats and reviews because the V6's are just now starting to show up in dealers so I couldn't drive one. I still don't understand how the X6 35i, which has the same power (300hp), comparable tranny (8sp auto), and weighs MORE than the Cayenne can beat it by more than a full second 0-60 (7.5 vs 6.3). I also was disgusted with how quickly the options add up on the Porsche. The V6 seems like a bargain at $46000, but quickly jumps into the 70's with some must-have (for me) options. Fully loaded, you can get it over $145,000 (YES, for the V6!). That's just crazy. Granted, my X6 ended up in the low 70s as well, but to get the same equipment on the Cayenne would have been $8000 more and I just couldn't justify paying more to get less. I have absolutely no regrets and LOVE the x6!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Just wonder how many of you recently cross shopped the X5 with Cayenne. I know that Cayenne is certainly more expensive, and styling wise people have their preferences, but I notice that the reviews so far for the new Cayenne have all been very positive. BMW is of course more expensive than all the Japanese, Audi and maybe MB, and Porsche just goes one step further in terms of the cost. It's strange to say that BMW may actually offer more value.

I see X5 all over the place. Cayenne? Pretty rare.
The new Cayenne has just hit the market, and only the S and Turbo models are available. The base and Hybrids won't be available until this fall.

The new Cayenne is a beautiful rig. The S is almost 1000lbs lighter than the 5.0i with the same horsepower, although down significantly on torque. I did not get to really push the Cayenne but it did feel very nimble and I don't recall it suffering from it's torque deficit as compared to the X5. The adjustable suspension was spectacular, going from firm and controlled to supple and controlled. It was startling how comfortable of a ride it was.

I wouldn't call the X5 portly or slow by comparison, but the added weight was apparent. The torque advantage of the 5.0i was apparent to me in that the acceleration was available everywhere in the RPM range, whereas the Cayenne really preferred being in the upper register. Given the compliance and speed of the transmission in the Porsche though, getting it there was easy.

The X5 has more comfortable seats by a long shot in the multi-contour models, and has more interior space. I like the size of the nav/console screen in the X5 more. The Porsche had a pretty nice system though and while it seemed a little busy, I did like the newly revamped center stack.

Ultimately for me it came down to what I wanted out of the vehicle. I wasn't after the pinnacle of sportiness in a crossover. If I were, the Porsche would be my pick. Even were I to prefer the Cayenne, I couldn't afford it with the options to match the list I'm getting on my X5. Similarly equipped it's trending toward the mid-80's, and then we're into X5M territory.

So did I like it? You bet. If I could afford it, for me the ultimate crossover SUV would probably be the Cayenne Turbo. Sadly, it's waaaaaaaay out of my price range :-(

The new Cayenne is one to be respected.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:10 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
Probaly I agree with u, 0428, the new cayenne from back is not good, looks probably like many other SUVs of cheaper categories. I drive X5 4.8 and it is like "thinking" a little bit during acceleration. Do u think with cayenne Turbos the same thing happens ?

No !!!!!
I test drove a Turbo "S" that thing just flew. I never ever thought that there would be a car, that I would say was too pwerful for me (I'm al power junky) but man, that thing.
I could forgive it being ugly !!!
The inside actually, is not that shabby IMO !!

I've never driven a 5,0 X5 in Belgium that is a rare beast, as we are all pro Diesels, but i would imagine that it goes like the Porche. Don't forget, the Porche is just a re-bodied VW Tourag, or however you write it !!!

One last Pro-Porsche statement, it has a low ratio box, so it's a real 4x4

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 528i,ml430,c1500p.u.
I couldn't wait for the release of the new cayenne s 's', so i purchased a 2011 35d w/ sport & 20's. I stopped by the porsche dealership last week & thought i was observing a gaggle of the base 's's. To my surprise, they were a combo of 's' & turbos. Very little to distinguish from $80k to $120k vehicle and they both looked to be designed by nissan for tight budgets. Though they say the new cayenne is larger, it truly appears to be scaled to the x3. Small wheelwells & a body not conducive to flares = nonaggressive looking wheel/tire/vehicle. This vehicle in either iteration is a major disappointment. The 2010 gts is the only wise choice now for the cayenne.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-baum View Post
I couldn't wait for the release of the new cayenne s 's', so i purchased a 2011 35d w/ sport & 20's. I stopped by the porsche dealership last week & thought i was observing a gaggle of the base 's's. To my surprise, they were a combo of 's' & turbos. Very little to distinguish from $80k to $120k vehicle and they both looked to be designed by nissan for tight budgets. Though they say the new cayenne is larger, it truly appears to be scaled to the x3. Small wheelwells & a body not conducive to flares = nonaggressive looking wheel/tire/vehicle. This vehicle in either iteration is a major disappointment. The 2010 gts is the only wise choice now for the cayenne.
The Turbo has a different front end, but otherwise the differences between it and the S are minimal.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Casual Fan

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
First off you really have to option-up the Cayenne to make it palatable. Plus there just isn't as much space inside. If you want a Porsche buy a car, not an SUV. Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM

Interesting. I found the Cayenne to have more standard content (leather seats etc) than the X5 and cheaper to boot. I am sure that (like all Porsches) you can option the Cayenne to the moon and back though. It still is the only hot SAV/SUV with a V8 and a stick (GTS), unless the X5M now offers one too.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM

I did some more research - base Cayenne offers 6MT, which is an interesting feature that no one else has. My local dealer has only 2 Cayennes in stock. Interior space actually seems similar to X5 (spec wise they are close). Indeed the VW V6 can't quite compare to the turbo inline6, wish Porsche could put in the V6 from Panamera. Options on the luxury end could kill a budget easily, but I have to say the interior full leather trim is beautiful. Interior design is also very nice. Torque vectoring and air suspension are available options on all models. Summer tires are available at no cost.

Overall, a very nice package and offers something for everyone - those who want to stretch their budget, those willing to skip some features to get a base, or those who want a very sporty SUV.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
After this topic was started in October 2009 it happened that I tested myself a few things I'd like to share with u.

1. First of all I tried Cayenne GTS and Cayenne Magnum with 680 h.p. and u know I was NOT impressed neither by acceleration no by any advantage in how they behave at turns in comparison with X5 4.8.

2. I was IMPRESSED how on small size tires 18" Cayenne GTS is smooth and very good behaves off-road. Believe me I own Lexus LX470 which is the probably the softest off-roader in the world ( on 17" tires), and I thought that if Porsche is regarded even more sporty than BMW then it should be accordingly more harsh. But nothing like that. Cayenne was very soft off-road. It is real off-roader.

3. Once I tried Mercedes G-class G55 AMG and I was shocked with how it jumps. There was not delay as in X5 or Cayenne, it jumps immediately when u press on gas. It is real acceleration. Porsche and BMW must learn from AMG.

4. Finally in March I bought new 2009 BMW X5 4.8 because how in post 38 the member h-baum wrote new Cayenne is not nice, especially from back it looks as cheap Hyundais or Kias, and many months ago I fell in love to X5 E70. After a month I got that it has also Sport mode, to achieve that u'd move transmission to the left and the display shows DS instead of D. In DS mode 4.8 is pretty good but not such impressive as G55AMG of course. Don't count me stupid since I didn't read the manual in details and shifted from LX ( in some cars power is achieved by pressing some button).

What I don't know is how is new X5 5.0 2011 and is it worth to change 2009 X5 4.8 with 2011 5.0, in other words is there some substantial noticeable acceleration increase ?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by am123 View Post
after this topic was started in october 2009 it happened that i tested myself a few things i'd like to share with u.

What i don't know is how is new x5 5.0 2011 and is it worth to change 2009 x5 4.8 with 2011 5.0, in other words is there some substantial noticeable acceleration increase ?
yes !!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i, 2009 335iCV
Significant Difference, specially if you shift in Sport mode. I dorve 4.8 Sport for 2 weeks as a loaner and I have the new 5.0. The transmission is also very different.
--Retired: 2001 X5 4.4 Sport Black/Tan
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 PM

I looked at some photos and also a new Cayenne. For those with $ to spend, the new Cayenne is worth the look. Price of course can go through the roof. The interior is beautiful, especially with 2-tone full leather interior. Torque vectoring and air suspensions are also options that one can't find on X5.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x50i on Order
CNET just posted this video review of the Cayenne http://cnettv.cnet.com/2011-porsche-...-50095753.html

Honestly makes me feel MUCH MUCH better about my x50i purchase. The interior looks so clunky and plasticky... exterior does not look like an SUV but a wagon IMO.

Anyway, CNET kind of rags on it... entertaining if nothing else:-)
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
BMW:
TOO MANY!
MY DEALER IS SHADY...Horrible prep job on the car
Cut out on key features of the car (LED LIGHTS!!??)

other than that BMW is growing on me

PORSCHE:
Elite(Although old manish)
Very nice prep centers
EXPENSIIIIVVVVVEEE (REALLY INSANE FOR OPTIONS)
Great cars
Odd look(reminds me of a bubble)

All in all its a tough choice. I for one Feel the 50i is borderline powerful enough for an SUV...have driven the Turbo (NEVER and x5m) and at that horsepower feels unsafe in the car (ROLL ETC).

Both are great cars....BMW is more comfortable from my experience.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Casual Fan

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
I think its really an apples to oranges comparison. The Porsche has a much broader array of powertrain options but the X5 has a lot more usable space. I think a more accurate comparison might be to the new X3 after it gets the redesign and new engines.

Ultimately if I'm spending Porsche money I'm doing it on a car, not a bastardized SUV.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
I'm jumping from '08 Cayenne S to 2011 X5 xDrive 50i (ordered today)..............Loved the Cayenne and everything about it. It's my 3rd Porsche and I still own 2002 C4 Cabriolet. The X5 interior is superior to the Cayenne and a similarly equiped 2011 Cayenne S is about $7,000 more than the X5 I have on order. Also needed to take delivery by 12/31 to take advantage of IRS section 179 and Porsche Dealer could not locate a vehicle to my specs and ordering one would take 90 to 120 days for delivery. I'll miss that Porsche mistique and mostly that unmistakeable Porsche "growl". That said, the BMW will be my first Bimmer. Two friends have X5's and love them. I'll give it a whirl!