Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
I've owned the old Cayenne s, 2 997's, 2 Boxster s's. Porsche used to build a performance vehicle. But, in recent years, they have become more focused on the Pan And new Cayenne. The new 991 will be here next year with a longer wheelbase, Panamera interior and alot of luxury that just isn't 'the core' of Porsche. Going upmarket. There is a great argument on Porsche boards about the last great true Porsche, some for the 993, last of the air cooled, some the 997.1 turbo on the old GT2 engine block and the NA 997 itself. None of them call the Cayenne or Panamera a true Porsche. They are vehicles that now save Porsche. Porsche is also working on hybrid technology that will be the new 'DNA' of all future Porsche's. I for one wanted the new Cayenne, but couldn't stomach the 30k difference and I can buy anything I want. All new vehicles, regardless of maker, will have their fair share of glitches and gremlins, just due to the nature of all the technology they put in these vehicles now. I for one do not look at lap times, etc. I drive a vehicle that handles well and makes me happy. so, regardless of what we choose to drive, it's just a car at the end of the day. I wish the new Cayenne owners the best of luck, but the X5d is what I want to drive now. I feel great about my decision and have no regrets. I look forward to owning and driving it! just my 2 cents.....
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I've owned the old Cayenne s, 2 997's, 2 Boxster s's. Porsche used to build a performance vehicle. But, in recent years, they have become more focused on the Pan And new Cayenne. The new 991 will be here next year with a longer wheelbase, Panamera interior and alot of luxury that just isn't 'the core' of Porsche. Going upmarket. There is a great argument on Porsche boards about the last great true Porsche, some for the 993, last of the air cooled, some the 997.1 turbo on the old GT2 engine block and the NA 997 itself. None of them call the Cayenne or Panamera a true Porsche. They are vehicles that now save Porsche. Porsche is also working on hybrid technology that will be the new 'DNA' of all future Porsche's. I for one wanted the new Cayenne, but couldn't stomach the 30k difference and I can buy anything I want. All new vehicles, regardless of maker, will have their fair share of glitches and gremlins, just due to the nature of all the technology they put in these vehicles now. I for one do not look at lap times, etc. I drive a vehicle that handles well and makes me happy. so, regardless of what we choose to drive, it's just a car at the end of the day. I wish the new Cayenne owners the best of luck, but the X5d is what I want to drive now. I feel great about my decision and have no regrets. I look forward to owning and driving it! just my 2 cents.....
+1
Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E70 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head...
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - Current
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
"its just a car at the end of the day"! +1 on that! I understand that the Cayenne will also have a diesel soon. Hopefully it will be the 4.2 V8 from VW/Audi and not the V6. Still and all, without the Cayenne there might not be a Porsche now.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
You can bet that a Cayenne hybrid diesel is in the works. Since owned now by VW, I am betting alot of parts and engines will be the same with Porsche, audi and VW. The old Cayenne V6 was from VW even before the takeover! Please don't get me wrong, I LOVED all of my Porsches, but their pricing, low allocations, dealer arrogance/aloofness and extreme option prices are going to scare most people away.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
I traded my '08 Cayenne S for my X5. My Porsche dealer connected me with a BMW dealer (I've purchased 3 MBZ and 3 Porsches from him). Still have one Benz and one Pcar plus the X5. Porsche dealer bought the used Cayenne S from BMW dealer, certified it and now has it on his lot. So, he will make some $$ on the deal. Today I stopped by the Porsche dealer to drop off the rear seat center head rest from my Cayenne S. Was telling the sales manager about ordering the X 5 to my specs and taking delivery in 3 weeks. He could not believe it. He said Porsche's transport carrier in the US went bankrupt and they are having a helluva time getting cars transported from POE to dealers. Also said it's 3 months order to delivery for a new Cayenne and dealers are running out of Cayenne inventory. He has a backlog of orders. Like me, most people want a new car sooner rather than later. Opportunity knocks for BMW 'cause there aren't many choices for a performance SUV.

2011 X5 50i
2002 C4 Cabriolet (996)
2011 E 350
Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
look how hot the modded 2011 cayenne looks.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 12-17-2010, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Front end looks better but not the rest except the wheels.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 997C2S
i drove the 2011 cayenne S, cayenne turbo and it seriously does destroy the x5 in overall performance. i love the new modernized interiors. (i have a 2006 C2S). that being said, i walked away thinking i dont need to pay all that extra money for the performance in a cayenne S when all i want is the utility that an x5 would provide me (a nice, easy to drive, not too expensive suv)...

i sat in the cayenne turbo as a pro-driver took me on 2 hot laps at fontana.... it was AWESOME and something that an X5 5.0 would not be capable of.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
Are the pictures showing a real modded car or just sketches? If you look carefully at the pictures, the wheel spokes are not centered. This car - if it is a real car - is going to bob up and down like hell it it tries to move.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Nice catch, you are referring to the side profile shot yes? It's called lense distortion, look at any other picture of any other car shot the same way and you will see the same thing.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Now THAT is a SAV!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: X5, E70 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
look how hot the modded 2011 cayenne looks.

Looks like a Mitsubishi!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
Saw interior of the new Porsche. When seats are also black it is something amazing, it is a tale. Not comparabe with the interior of X5, of course.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akim47 View Post
i drove the 2011 cayenne S, cayenne turbo and it seriously does destroy the x5 in overall performance. i love the new modernized interiors. (i have a 2006 C2S). that being said, i walked away thinking i dont need to pay all that extra money for the performance in a cayenne S when all i want is the utility that an x5 would provide me (a nice, easy to drive, not too expensive suv)...

i sat in the cayenne turbo as a pro-driver took me on 2 hot laps at fontana.... it was AWESOME and something that an X5 5.0 would not be capable of.
uh, you can't compare the Pepper turbo to the X5 5.0. Try the X5M ($20k less than the Pepper T) and you'll sing a different tune.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickspop View Post
uh, you can't compare the Pepper turbo to the X5 5.0. Try the X5M ($20k less than the Pepper T) and you'll sing a different tune.
+1

Going back to this old thread, has anyone yet come up with a good comparison between the '11 Cayenne S and the '11 X5 50i sport? It seems to me that would make a great comparo if you used properly equipped models like my 50i with sport, adaptive and the brochure cover 20"s.

I'm weeks from a year with it now and still love it so much. The '11 Cayenne S and RRS Supercharged were my other considerations and it came down to the '11 Cayenne S, an '10 Cayenne GTS and mine. After some time now, the new Cayenne exterior still hasn't grown on me and it still gives me a too feminine Hyundai-esque look. Interior is great and handles wonderfully, but I'm glad that I went with the Bimmer. I'd like to add a 911 sunday car to the roster at some point.