Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw 745i European
transmission rebuilt. Do I need to have the transmission reprogrammed by BMW or not?

I am having the shop replace my transmission on my BMW 745i 2005 with 31000 miles. Apparently the transmission fluid is very dark and original. The reason I am having my transmission replaced is because i keep getting a transmission failsafe message on my i drive and it skips from 1st to 2nd gear. Is there anything else that i should have replaced while i am doing a transmission job on the car?
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2015, 06:32 AM

Mr Dono what seal inside the transmission are you changing? Is it the Sealing sleeve or the adapter seal?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Since I am having the shop put in a new transmission this week, does that mean that I have to have the transmission program updated? Do I have to update the cars computer in any way after installing a new transmission? If I do, what needs to be updated?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 AM

updating transmission after installing new transmission?

Since I am having the shop put in a new transmission this week, does that mean that I have to have the transmission program updated? Do I have to update the cars computer in any way after installing a new transmission? If I do, what needs to be updated?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

transmission rebuilt. Do I need to have the transmission reprogrammed by BMW or not?

If I am having the shop install a new transmission, do I need to update the transmission software?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

My car is a BMW 745i 2005.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM

transmission

how much is it costing you to have the transmission rebuilt? how long did they tell you it would take? how many miles do you have on the car? what started happening to the car that led you to believe it was the transmission needing to be rebuilt?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:25 AM

I drive a 2005 745i and I am having the transmission rebuilt. Do I need to have the transmission reprogrammed by BMW or not? I do not know about this and would appreciate your help.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Smile transmission rebuilt reprogram?

I drive a BMW 2005 745i and I am having the transmission rebuilt. Do I need to have the transmission reprogrammed after it is rebuilt? How do I do that? Does BMW have to reprogram the new transmission?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Please do not post the same question to a bunch of unrelated threads. Your posts have been consolidated to a single thread.

Tim
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM

my 2005 745i was skipping between 1st and 2nd gear. so i am having to have my transmission rebuilt. once the transmission is re built do i have to reprogram the transmission software? how many liters of oil does it take to fill up a rebuilt transmission? is it about 11 or 12 liters? what should i know about after having rebuilt a new transmission? any comments would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745i sport
If it's a re manufactured transmission from ZF(trans manufacturer) or BMW, then yes it will need to be programmed or the car will not start. If they are rebuilding the current transmission and reusing the internal mechatronics control unit, then no it will not need to be programmed. If it's a used transmission or mechatronics they are putting in, even if it's programmed for another car, it should work without reprogramming. Although coding it to your VIN is recommended.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745i sport
At 31,000 miles more than likely it's just a defective solenoid causing your fault. If you took it to a transmission shop familiar with ZF transmissions, the repair cost could be drastically less.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:25 AM

it is costing me about $4,200 to have the transmission rebuilt in panama. labor alone is $1,200 and the rest in parts. I know they are installing new disks, and the cylinder in the middle of the transmission is what they showed me, They did not mention anything about the solenoids or mechatronics. They told me that it would require about 11 or 12 liters of transmission fluid. They also told me that they had the computer program to reprogram the transmission if need be. Is the $4,200 cost a reasonable or fair cost to have the transmission rebuilt? He said that the labor cost would normally be about $550, but this was a special transmission which required more work, hence the difference in cost. Thanks you for your comments on my situation. Is there anything else I should know? If in fact it is a solenoid that needs to be replaced and it is not will I continue to receive the transmission failsafe message? I have a language problem with them. I will ask them about the solenoid being the problem to see what they say.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto:
I had my transmission rebuilt by cottman transmission in charlotte nc. 4000.00 this included a rebuilt valve body rebuilt torque converter a clutch pack the valve body was 2200. The labor was 1200.00 150.00 per hr hrs the valve body was rebuilt by a their part in California for that they are giving you your price seems a but high. The car did not have to be repogrammed apparently the company they use reprograms the valve body there i got a 3 yr 36k warranty it runs lime a champ
Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 PM

Hi. They have told me that they were not able to get a rebuilt mechatronic unit for my car so what they are doing is replacing the pressure regulating control valve istead which is apperantly where the fault is. That is what is causing the failsafe mode when I drive it. Now they also said that the transmission had to be rebuilt at first. After they rebuilt the transmission they still had the transmission failsafe warning fault. They will charge me extra for replacing this valve plus labor. How much should I* think about paying them for this job?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Let me ask you this they are saying they rebuilt the transmission have u seen the parts that have been replaced and let me ask you is this a reputable transmission shop are apart of the automatic transmission rebuilders association. Www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com is great they take yours out and send it to them they rebuilt it and test it on site as if it's in your car turnaround is about 4 days including next day air shipping the transmission shops hate to or lack the equipment do do a valve body check. I had a shift 2 shift 3 solenoid code. So ho2 much have u spent so far and are they going to charge u labor for removing and reinstalling the transmission also what's the name of the shop it just seems like they removed it and didn't totally rebuild it and now it has to be removed again. The car is very smart and it does give transmission codes most places want to do a total rebuild like I had to avoid a come back the dealer will just replace it with a reman they won't try to fix anything send me your email address
Old 07-01-2015, 04:32 PM

Well thanks for your reply. First of all I am in Panama, central america. So they are not members of the transmission assoc. I have not yet picked up the car. I will pick it up tomorrow and will make sure that they show me what they replaced. They tols me this morning that they could not get a used mechatronic unit for my model car but they sais that they knew the valve that needed to be replaced, so
I assume that they have the diognostic equiptment to determine that. Now I will let you know tomorrow how much they are charging me. They charged me $1,200 for labor for rebuilding my transmission the rest of $2,800 was in parts, which seems high. Actually the labor charge also seems high, since manual labor is cheaper in Panama than it is in USA. But the valve sells on the internet for about $50.00 to $100.00.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM

gh4491@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjxm View Post
Let me ask you this they are saying they rebuilt the transmission have u seen the parts that have been replaced and let me ask you is this a reputable transmission shop are apart of the automatic transmission rebuilders association. Www.sunbeltvalvebodies.com is great they take yours out and send it to them they rebuilt it and test it on site as if it's in your car turnaround is about 4 days including next day air shipping the transmission shops hate to or lack the equipment do do a valve body check. I had a shift 2 shift 3 solenoid code. So ho2 much have u spent so far and are they going to charge u labor for removing and reinstalling the transmission also what's the name of the shop it just seems like they removed it and didn't totally rebuild it and now it has to be removed again. The car is very smart and it does give transmission codes most places want to do a total rebuild like I had to avoid a come back the dealer will just replace it with a reman they won't try to fix anything send me your email address
Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM

valve body

Now that they have finished with rebuilding the transmission they say that they need to replace the pressure valve in the valve body or replace the valve body with a used one. I also need to replace the alternator in the car. While I am driving the car begines to shut down the a/c, radio etc and eventually I receive all these warnings about failsafe erroe, etc and eventually it turns off. I can;t restart it either. I need to jump start it and it starts up right away. After starting it if I shut it off and resatrt it it restarts right away. This tells me that it is not a bad battery but rather a faulty alternator. If it were a bad battery it would not restart right away after turning it off because I had not given the battery enough time to recharge. What do you think? I would like to know your experience. Thank you.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Ok i had a generator fault did u get that message on the dash I got it and the car ran fine for about 800 miles then on day ot freaked out transmission fail.safe tra toom control PDC malfunction and yes ot would not start without a jump then right off.. they had to leave the jump box connected to the car to get it up on the flat bed. If that not an option because your not using a jump box then you have to use the two hook connect it to the flat bed and remove any slack out the line then on the driver side of the car near the obdi there is a place that you put your key in to release the transmission then it can be pulled up onto the flat bed and rolled off with no problem. The alternator is water cooled if you don't see any fins they run from about 400 to 1000.00 depending on if it's a Bosch or another brand check www.rockauto.com the labor is about 4 hrs and they are going to try and charge u for lost coolant usually on these cars if the alternator goes the battery will drain what they did with MI e is they recharged it there was no reprogramming or anything required and everything has been fine. Prior to this last year I got a charge battery message and I replaced the battery this year it said generator fault they call it a generator instead of alternator r pretty far in as far as money the alternator is about 475.00 in us labor plus parts I went to a triple aaa shop. You can find the job on www.diye66.com too. I think they are overcharging on the transmission job I got the mechatronics torque converter and a clutch pack and gaskets for 4000.00
Old 07-23-2015, 03:15 PM

alternator

are you sure it is a water alternator and not an air cooled alternator. I was told it was an air cooled alternator and that is what I had ordered. Please confirm. thank you.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto:
The dealership had it wrong they said air cooled just look at it if you don't see the fins you know the spaces that allow you to see inside the alternator then it's water cooled if their are spaces for it to breatj it's air... go look
Old 07-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Yeah, I opt you should look for another indy.
From the problems you are telling me, the rebuild on the transmission was completely overkill.
Probably only a few seals needed to be replaced or at very worst it was the torque converter (but still wouldn't have cost you more then $1500 incl labor).

Also an air cooled alternator wouldn't require to drain all the coolant, only a water cooled alternator does.
So from the sounds of it, they are wrong all over the place.

^ and this isn't uncommon for indy's. They are used to Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota's
The 7 you brought in is probably the first one they ever worked on (kinda like taking a Ferrari to the indy just around the corner).

Last edited by hp197; 07-23-2015 at 04:11 PM.