Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) retrofit w/ E70 DVD drive? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) retrofit w/ E70 DVD drive?

I was investigating a retrofit of the factory Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) into an E70 recently. I decided against it but determined the main DVD drive was also used in the Chinese long wheel base E60, where it supported two monitors. ETK shows the DVD drive as having it's first supercession in Nov 2006, which means a part was in production before then. Considering it uses the K-CAN (body bus) for communication, I wondered if it was ever designed to exist in the E65 7-series. So I removed the communication wires from my PDC module and temporarily hooked them up a partially functioning E70 RSE DVD drive...

Sure enough, it showed up immediately in ISTA/D. I was surprised that it's shown on the MOST bus, when in fact it's only hooked up to the K-CAN High and Low wires. I was able to read errors and look at diagnostics, which means the ZGM is passing the requests on to the K-CAN bus. The IR fault was logged when the unit was connected to a lower mileage E70, then the K-CAN when I was bench testing.
The next question is whether or not the CAS would pass along the wireless RF remote control commands?! If so, I see no reason you couldn't retrofit this into our E65/E66 if all you want is a rear DVD player and one or two screens. This drive supports two 8" displays in the Chinese E60, which would be an upgrade from the E65 6.5". The E70 training literature mentions a micro-switch to wake up the screens, which is likely just an on-off type.

Here is a link to my findings when hooked up to an E70.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=rse

Here is stuartjohn24's excellent thread on the OEM RSE retrofit:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=rse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSE in E65 tree.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	581158   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSE in E65 diagnostics.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	581159   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSE in E65 faults.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	581160  

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search