Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: e66 750li
Does Anyonne in Australia Know Best Oil in a hot climate?

Hi All,,

i have a e66 2006 750Li model and i live in the Far North Queensland area and the climate for the oil and the way the car seems to be running hot as well a burning oil smell,,, i have been thinking and i have a good friend who is a genius and Euro cars and performance engineering, we both agree the Oil is to light for the engine ( N62 ) for the tropics,,

Would a heavier weight Castrol oil be better as like a ( 20w - 30 ) ? i would be thinking so but someone who given it a go would be great for advise??
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2016, 11:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Here is a good article on the subject. Temperature ranges are in Celsius so that should help you. I live in an area of Arizona. That have temperatures are in the 114 to 120 degree Fahrenheit range during the summer. I just use the normal BMW recommended viscosities and have not had a problem. Recently however I've changed to mobile 1 high mileage formula. Only because of the age/ mileage on the engine. If you're smelling a burning of oil. I would start checking for leaks. Valve cover gasket's are notorious. You may have a slight drip onto the manifold. I do agree that heavy oil is probably better. As Europe does not have the complete range of temperatures that we see. However remember also that the car is engineered for lighter oil. Make sure you change it back in the winter time. Or you may have problems with the small oil Passages in the engine.

http://www.micksgarage.com/blog/unde...ng-engine-oil/

Last edited by Rick in Yuma; 11-05-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
Try using liqui moly oil. Apparently it is a very good oil and is made in Germany. There are u tube videos that show how the oil performs at high temp. Good luck.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search