Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
Is there a picture somewhere that can tell me which hose to pull?

Is there a specific sequence to follow, in terms of when the hose is pulled vs. when the car is running?

This sounds like a 3 person job?
One guy watching/diverting the hose, one guy turning the steering, and another guy refilling the reservoir?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Making more of this than warranted. Loosen any connector at the pump so gravity will drain pump too. Re-connect. Go back up top and fill reservoir. It will release big bubbles as some air escapes. Re-add P/S fluid as necessary to keep full. Start car with fluid handy. see if reservoir needs more. Turn wheel lock to lock and you will hear P/S pump quiet down and take a little more fluid. turn left to right a dozen times and top off. Drive ten miles or so and then do whole thing over again. Couple times will replace darn near all of it. One man job!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 140k
Things are always easy and obvious in hindsight. Not if you've never done it.
Heck, I don't even know where the PS pump even is (yet)

Do you disconnect the PS pump and then start the motor?
Or is it just disconnected to drain the pump and then reconnected?
Is it dangerous to drain the PS pump and have it empty until the new fluid reaches it?
Should you wait to turn the steering wheel for a minute or two, so the new fluid has reached the PS pump?
When the PS pump hose is disconnected, do I run the car and turn the wheel?

Last edited by EconoBox; 01-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Empty and fill with engine OFF. Don't run with pump dry! Fill slowly and it will get to pump w/o engine running. You can turn key to pos.2 and rotate steering wheel w/o power assist, but if you just fill over about 5 minutes, most air will be gone. Then start and quickly turn wheel lock to lock repeatedly.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Old 10-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, this came up today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by david831 View Post
My steering fluid its low and I have a super tech power steering with leak stop from walmart and was wondering if its safe to add to my 00 bmw 528i? Have any od you guys used this?
See also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC View Post
No _ I didn't do either the filter or the o-ring -- but the steering feels much smoother. I'll wait until my next oil change and tackle -- thanks for the info!
No rush.

Most seem to clean the filter about every few oil changes.

And, if you don't replace the o-ring every couple of years, you'll need the M-sock mod:

Last edited by bluebee; 06-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM

The question came up again today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > power steering fluid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot12 View Post
I was really confused lately on whether PS fluid same one as transmission fluid?! it says ATF only on the PS reservoir but I coudn't find any power steering fluid that says ATF, instead I found ATF Drexon/Mercon. Would someone clear that up for me? Since it says ATF only on power steering cap, then i should use the ATF thats says Drexon on it right?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:41 AM

For reference, the question came up again today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Correct power steering fluid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick528touring View Post
Is this the correct power steering fluid for my car (98 528 auto)?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 PM

The question came up again today...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Power steering FLUID
Old 12-13-2014, 11:00 AM

This was posted today, regarding volume...
> 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003) > power steering fluid high pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvelco View Post
today i bought castrol dex3 atf fluid and will change it soon.
i have whining noise at cold start.somebody told me that adding fluid up to MAX mark cures that whine.i thought it should be between min and max mark
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 AM

The question came up again today over here...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Power Steering Fluid? what and wehre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSCLEBOY View Post
Hi, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can offer some quick advice on where i can buy, how much to buy and what kind of Power Steering Fluid for my 2000 BMW 528I?

I have emptied my Power Steering Resevoir bottle while doing my Vanos, and Valve Cover Gasket Replacement and need to now fill it again. I had to empty the bottle of fluid as i had ti remove it while replacing the Oil Housing gasket....didn't mention that part above. lol.

How much would be enough? 16 oz? 32 oz? Can i go with the regular stuff...or something that is non BMW branded? I am hoping to get some reasonably priced stuff.

Do i just add it to the resevoir bottle? How does the level inside the bottle need to be once it has enough...and after running the car a bit? any help to get me to button up this trailing fix before i try to restart my car after 4 months of being idle in the garage would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Val Kinzsner
Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Might be obvious, but just in case. I went to RealOEM and don't see the filter listed separately. To replace the filter, you need to buy replacement reservoir?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 View Post
Might be obvious, but just in case. I went to RealOEM and don't see the filter listed separately. To replace the filter, you need to buy replacement reservoir?
There is no way to get the filter out because it's wider than the opening.

However, it's pretty sturdy, and, the reservoir is otherwise just a jar with two nipples on the bottom.

So, IMHO, I can't imagine any reason for replacing it, ever (unless something physically broke on it).
Old 06-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Hi Blue, thanks. My thinking is the reservoir is by all odds original and 13 years old at this point. It's pretty cheap and seems easy to replace. Every filter will fail eventually.

But OTOH I'm not looking for a project. If these filters don't usually need replacing, I'll just change my PS fluid. Return hoses were done in late 2011 so fine on that front.

Maybe I'll just clean, as the link you provided earlier in thread describes: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...68#post5999468 Anyone know the number of that drain plug, how to reomove?

Last edited by Edgy36-39; 06-24-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
My thinking is the reservoir is by all odds original and 13 years old at this point. It's pretty cheap and seems easy to replace. Every filter will fail eventually.
I don't know the price, and, well, sometimes, I agree, it's EASIER to just replace than to clean, if the part is dirt cheap, but, if not, I'd just clean it.

The filter has a fine mesh metal screen, which I'd inspect for tears, but, realistically, unless you poked it with a screwdriver, nothing is gonna tear it.

Cleaning it was simple for me. I think, IIRC, I washed it out with gasoline, but, I don't remember if I even did that (I'd have to re-read the threads).

As I said, it's just a container with a filter, so, I'd just remove it, clean it, make sure it's dry, and then put it back together.

The I6 doesn't have that drain plug (I don't think), so, I'll let the V8 owners chime in...
Old 06-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
The I6 doesn't have that drain plug (I don't think), so, I'll let the V8 owners chime in...
The question came up today how to drain and flush the power steering system on the I6 ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Looks like PS systems are the hot topic today
Quote:
I placed an order with BavAuto yesterday over the phone, and I'm all about double and triple checking before DIYs. So I asked them -- good video on PS change, but can't I simply drain, since I've got a 02 M5?

They checked, and said NO, your car does not have a PS fluid drain.

And here's what Bentley says - lifetime fill!!:

The power steering system is permanently filled and does not have a drain. Routinely adding ATF is not required unless the system is leaking.

I'll find out for sure soon when I change my oil, but anyone out there have another first person confirmation? Thanks.
The V8 has a drain, as can be seen in these pictures from the V8 cracked bracket thread:
- Why are the BMW E39 V8 540i power steering pump brackets breaking and how to check for PS pump bracket cracks (1)

See also:
- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)[/QUOTE]

Here's another picture of the V8 drain from the V8 cracked bracket thread:

Here's a picture of the bottom of my I6 power steering pump (still with the factory hose clamp), which has a different bracket than the V8 and no drain plug.
- One users' example of total electrical failure (AAA towed away) alternator repair (1)

Of course, check for leaks here (this is mine leaking, before I did cn90's cut-and-fix hint):

BTW, looking at this picture from Michel's alternator thread, I wonder if it's a good idea to cut off the factory clamp on the I6 power steering pump - and drain the fluid that way (Michel seems to have replaced the factory clamp).

See also:
- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)