Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
99-00 M52TU owners: Did a DME update solve your cold idle VANOS jolts/stall problems?

Q1: Do you own a 99-00 M52TU?
Q2: Do you experience cold idle "jolts and stalls"?
Q3: What version is your DME?

Aapparently, the M52TU engine, with the original DME software version, experiences cold idle jolts and stall issues (related to VANOS operation).

The M54 (which I have) uses the same VANOS as does the M52TU, but doesn't experience the same cold idle issues; so, according to Rajaie (and others) in this thread, an update to the DME should (but doesn't always) solve those cold-idle jolts & stalls.
- VANOS Diagnostics - are my seals OK? - by Rajaie
- VANOS solution - by Rajaied

Do you have that DME update?
Did it solve your cold idle jolts & stalls?

Last edited by bluebee; 03-31-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Not sure what you mean by a "Jolt", but as far as I know, I don't have that problem with my 99. I definitely haven't had any stalls. Rebuilt the VANOS a few months ago, seals and "chatter rings". Still chattering (I probably didn't sand them down properly).
Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhed1964 View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "Jolt", but as far as I know, I don't have that problem with my 99. I definitely haven't had any stalls. Rebuilt the VANOS a few months ago, seals and "chatter rings". Still chattering (I probably didn't sand them down properly).
Sorry, since I have the M54, I can't explain the "jolt"; but I'm using the words "Rajaie" wrote in the aforementioned thread about the M52TU engine VANOS issues, so, we'll have to wait for other M52TU owners to let us know what that "jolt" really means.

Here is Raj's post.
- The 99-00 M52TU engine cars are known for cold weather cold start idle jolts and possible stall...

Did you get a chance to check your DME version?

BTW, I don't know HOW to check the DME version, so, I ask someone here to tell M52TU owners the answers to these two basic questions:

1. How does an M52TU owner know what DME version they have?
2. What DME version do they need which reputedly fixes the "stalls and jolts" problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jolt.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	500998  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-31-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528i 5spd
A1. Yes
A2. Yes, well no stalls just drops to low RPM then goes back to normal.
A3. Orginal DME I'm sure

What does an DME update entail?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonchristian View Post
A1. Yes
A2. Yes, well no stalls just drops to low RPM then goes back to normal.
A3. Orginal DME I'm sure

What does an DME update entail?
I suspect it entails progman and the DME software.
How to get the DME software?
There is a trick listed in the aforementioned thread.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528i 5spd
According to this thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=675959) an update should cost no more than $40.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
Q1: Yes (48K miles)
Q2: I see a small drop in RPM every few seconds during warm up when it is below 40 F. Not enough to stall even when it was 8 F.
Q3: No indication of DME update on any service records

BB: Rajaie suspects the root cause of the jolt/stall is a VANOS failure and, if the DME is causing the jolt, it is because of a VANOS failure. If he is correct, I think the proper course of action is to fix the VANOS failure, not update the DME.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
BB: Rajaie suspects the root cause of the jolt/stall is a VANOS failure and, if the DME is causing the jolt, it is because of a VANOS failure.
These are from that very same thread ...

Old 04-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
^These reposts tell me two things:
Rajaie still recommends repairing VANOS over reprogramming DME to compensate for a VANOS failure.
Bmwbum is a forum troll who cannot type "m54 cold start problem" into Google search.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 PM

In that same thread, a presumably well qualified BMW professional recommends a way to obtain "a" DME update...

The question here is, did anyone do it - and did it work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsb.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	501457  
Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Q1: Do you own a 99-00 M52TU?
Yes, a '99, purchased used in 2010.

Q2: Do you experience cold idle "jolts and stalls"?
I had a seriously fluctuating idle at cold start until I replaced the Vanos seals, fairly early into ownership. No abrupt jolts, no stalling, but the dips in idle rpm seemed close to stalling the car, and the surges that followed each dip might have been a "jolt" had the symptoms been just a bit worse.

I'm not sure. The driver's side strut tower has a couple of dealer labels: one for a t-stat replacement, and another for an ECM update for emissions-related. I'll have to investigate this further. The dealership only had records back to 2006 for this car (if I can believe them).
[EDIT] According to PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4.0, my DME BMWTNR is "7.500.255", hardware version is "15" and the SW-FSW is at version "E3". The Date is at 16/99 which would I presume reflect the mfg. date, not the firmware, as that's when the car was built (16th week of '99). The thing has been reprogrammed at least once, for the emissions-related issue mentioned above, but I know not when.

Last edited by pleiades; 04-03-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
I'm not sure. The driver's side strut tower has a couple of dealer labels: one for a t-stat replacement, and another for an ECM update for emissions-related. I'll have to investigate this further. The dealership only had records back to 2006 for this car (if I can believe them).
Thanks for updating the thread with your information.

I think, if I had the M52TU, and if I had experienced the idle problems listed in the referenced thread, the FIRST thing I'd do is figure out if the DME update has been done yet.

But I don't know how to tell.
Let us know if you find out, so that all benefit.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
....I think, if I had the M52TU, and if I had experienced the idle problems listed in the referenced thread, the FIRST thing I'd do is figure out if the DME update has been done yet....
Yeah, perhaps I'd've done the same, assuming I learned about the availability of a DME update first, rather than almost five years after learning about and installing the Beisan Vanos seals. The recent threads here on a DME update that cured the M52TU idling issues are my first encounter with the subject.

Of course, I still want to know about my car and whether the DME has already had that update or not, so I'll see what I can do by interrogating a few modules.