Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel8286 View Post
I'm having the same whining problem with my '11 X5 50i.

Some patterns I've noticed:
-Doesn't happen when the engine is cold
-Doesn't happen until I really push the engine and then it won't stop for the rest of the day, even if I'm driving slow
-Whine is noticeable after 2k rpm
-Not noticeable at higher speeds because of noise
-Seems to come from the right side (glove box)
-The whine is dependent on engine speed

I have an appointment to have it checked out next tuesday. I will tell them that it might be the oil pump.

Is there any chance that they might tell me it's the turbo?
Yes, It is NOT the turbo system. It is NOT the turbo system!!!! If you read earlier posts by me, I noticed a while ago, that the whining will NEVER happen on a cold engine. The whining starts once the engine reaches normal, operating temps & especially when the engine is extra hot! I told the dealership this, and they confirmed the whining is ONLY on a warm/hot engine.

I just read my paperwork from my dealer, and the shop foreman and mechanic made notes...They said, "most noticeable at/around 2000 rpm & under 40 mph"! The whine is TOTALLY dependent on engine speed. Once I am above 40mph, and especially on the freeway, my V8 engine sounds awesome!!

I am now doing the waiting game, on what they say is a "custom" part, made per each vehicles VIN number. Honestly, that makes NO sense, if we all have defective oil pumps. I am just afraid, if (and when) I get a new oil pump...that the whining will come back. Up until 3000 miles, my engine had NO whining! I am now at 6200 miles, and the noise is much, much worse!!

Last edited by Deutsch100; 09-21-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post
Yes, It is NOT the turbo system. It is NOT the turbo system!!!! If you read earlier posts by me, I noticed a while ago, that the whining will NEVER happen on a cold engine. The whining starts once the engine reaches normal, operating temps & especially when the engine is extra hot! I told the dealership this, and they confirmed the whining is ONLY on a warm/hot engine.

I just read my paperwork from my dealer, and the shop foreman and mechanic made notes...They said, "most noticeable at/around 2000 rpm & under 40 mph"! The whine is TOTALLY dependent on engine speed. Once I am above 40mph, and especially on the freeway, my V8 engine sounds awesome!!

I am now doing the waiting game, on what they say is a "custom" part, made per each vehicles VIN number. Honestly, that makes NO sense, if we all have defective oil pumps. I am just afraid, if (and when) I get a new oil pump...that the whining will come back. Up until 3000 miles, my engine had NO whining! I am now at 6200 miles, and the noise is much, much worse!!
I JUST TESTED IT OUT.

So it turns out that reving the engine while on drive, or in other words, accelerating really hard, triggers the noise. Otherwise, normal driving will not trigger it.

That's something to consider when diagnosing the problem.

And yes that V8 sounds spectacular on the highway, especially at 3-4k rpm. AMAZING.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 B7 LWB Xdrive
realized today you dont even need to drive the car, just park once warmed up and rev in neutral and you will hear it. its at its worst when the windows are closed and after a long drive
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM

NORMAL driving triggers mine EVERYDAY!!! Once my engine hits operating temperature, the whining begins!

Yes, once the car is warmed up...Putting the engine in P or N, and then revving the engine to about 2000/2500rpms will create the dreaded whining! This was confirmed at my dealership. I showed them, and they duplicated it themselves...both driving and just revving the engine. The whine is awful!!

Yes, it seems the longer I drive/use the car...the whine gets worse. It appears the warmer then engine gets, the more it whines! Pissed off!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 PM

This is unacceptable. I will not leave that dealership without a fix.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Mines going in Oct. 2nd. Hope I can get it fixed without having a argument that the noise is not the turbo's.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan - Sport Pack
Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
This is unacceptable. I will not leave that dealership without a fix.
Well, if they even agree that it is the oil pump.....plan on staying at the dealership for up to a month! No oil pumps are in stock, and according to my dealer, a "new" one is made per VIN in Munich....and will have to be approved, ordered, made, shipped and then go thru the oh, so lovely US customs process! F-U-N

I wish us all luck. I know it is partially a mental thing now that I am so tuned in to the whine, but all I can hear & focus on when driving is this awful whining! Seriously, a 4 cylinder Camry sounds better than my twin turbo V8
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM

I emailed them asking them on a progress report.

I asked them:

Have you found the issue yet?

You might want to check the alternator or the oil pump for the whine. Another BMW owner had the same issue.

They answered:

We put in a tc case/puma case seeing what they want us to do. We think its possible alternator or oil pump (another vehicle in the shop a few months ago had the same issue) I have to wait on there approval/guidance It is there decision

WHAT IS A TC CASE? PUMA CASE?

EDIT:
PuMA is BMW's online technical hotline for delaers. The dealer fills out a form for submittal to BMW's technical gurus and then they send back a response outlining what they (BMW) want you (the dealer) to do to fix the car. Sometimes it's "replace such-and-such" and sometimes they ask for more diagnostic info.

TC is "Teile Clearing". It's German for "parts Clearance". It's BMW givintg the dealer approval to replace a part after we submit a PuMA case outlining what we did to determine that the part is the problem. It's something that BMW has in place so that dealers don't go al willy-nilly replacing $1000 Nav units for no reason or just for "tries-eez".

Last edited by miguel8286; 10-05-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Found out what TC and PUMA is.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Quote:
Well, if they even agree that it is the oil pump.....plan on staying at the dealership for up to a month! No oil pumps are in stock, and according to my dealer, a "new" one is made per VIN in Munich....and will have to be approved, ordered, made, shipped and then go thru the oh, so lovely US customs process! F-U-N

I wish us all luck. I know it is partially a mental thing now that I am so tuned in to the whine, but all I can hear & focus on when driving is this awful whining! Seriously, a 4 cylinder Camry sounds better than my twin turbo V8
I got a call from the dealer the pump has arrived and the car goes in Mon next week.

Will keep you posted.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Just got an update from the dealership this morning:

"About 630-645 last night I had the tech tell me he ordered the Oil pump. Later this morning I will see if we stock the part"

They'll probably need to get a custom built oil pump sent.

By the way, they were nice enough to give me a 2011 740Li loaner. Cool car but definitely prefer my X5.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Quote:
Just got an update from the dealership this morning:

"About 630-645 last night I had the tech tell me he ordered the Oil pump. Later this morning I will see if we stock the part"

They'll probably need to get a custom built oil pump sent.

By the way, they were nice enough to give me a 2011 740Li loaner. Cool car but definitely prefer my X5.
I doubt it is "custom" per se. More than likely, it's a new batch that will work for the other 50i motors, but needs special programing to meet the different demands. For example, it would see logical that the M-motors and x5 pumps may pump at different rates due to added stress of additional power(M-motor) or towing (x5). Our 335i needed a new fuel pump and the install was quick, but the program update took hours.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan - Sport Pack
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM

E-mail from my service rep:

[installation of oil pump] "should be done close to 5 530 tomorrow, as far as I know that is the only thing we are doing and possible prgm. BMW NA is releasing the part and we believe its a updated part"
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 AM

This is what my one week, car at the dealerhip repair consisted of:

Part: 11 41 7 612 772 Oil Pump

Part: 11 41 7 508 288 O-Ring

Part: 11 42 1 741 129 O-Ring

Part: 11 41 7 562 090 Profile Gasket

Part: 11 42 1 713 597 O-Ring

I sincerely wish anyone else having this whining noise luck and success. While my whining is less, it is still there Can't stop thinking that if I can still hear the whine after this big repair, what is going to happen as the miles & months increase? When the whining started around 3000 miles, it just got louder and worse. While the whine is for sure less intense, it is still there...especially when slowing down, just by taking your foot off the gas pedal and letting the car slow down naturally (no brakes). Looks like this issue is going to be a real Achille's heal for the 7 Series! At least our 7ers look amazing though!!!!

Last edited by Deutsch100; 10-07-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Y ask y? Ask y not!

Mein Auto: F02
Read this class action law suit agains BMW. It seems to include the whining noise
http://www.kcrlegal.com/BMW-faulty-t...r-lawsuit.aspx

Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff takes on BMW in class action suit regarding defective fuel pumps and turbo chargers

October 4, 2010

Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff recently filed suit against BMW on behalf of thousands of consumers who purchased various BMW models released from 2007-2010.

The lawsuit alleges that in 2006, BMW announced with much fanfare the development of its new N54 twin turbo engine. BMW touted the new engine as incorporating state of the art technology that included "twin” turbo chargers and a newly developed fuel injection system. BMW represented to the public that this new technology would eliminate "turbo lag,” a common problem in turbocharged vehicles, and that its new state of the art fuel injection system greatly increased the performance and fuel efficiency of its vehicles.
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM

So I do not know if the oil pump needed to "break in" or something for a few days, but my whining is MUCH better now. I would say it is at least 80-90% less than it used to be. Also, the car seems much smoother now, and even more responsive than it was before the pump replacement. I got my paperwork in the mail (it was not ready when I picked the car up)...and right on the paperwork it says, that the noise is drastically reduced after pump replacement...it does not say whining noise is gone. As long as it does not get worse, then I will be very happy. My car once again sounds like a V8 BMW!!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 B7 LWB Xdrive
Quote:
So I do not know if the oil pump needed to "break in" or something for a few days, but my whining is MUCH better now. I would say it is at least 80-90% less than it used to be. Also, the car seems much smoother now, and even more responsive than it was before the pump replacement. I got my paperwork in the mail (it was not ready when I picked the car up)...and right on the paperwork it says, that the noise is drastically reduced after pump replacement...it does not say whining noise is gone. As long as it does not get worse, then I will be very happy. My car once again sounds like a V8 BMW!!
my part is in and i go in on monday- looking forward to getting ride of whine- it is driving me crazy it sounds like a golf cart
Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedJes View Post
I got a call from the dealer the pump has arrived and the car goes in Mon next week.

Will keep you posted.

Got the beast back today, the car went in yesterday.

No more noticeable whining.

I have to give huge credit to BMW Park Ave in NJ. The service has been great 5 stars!!

I was expecting the fix to take several days based on feedback from fellow comrades.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Got the beast back today, the car went in yesterday.

No more noticeable whining.

I have to give huge credit to BMW Park Ave in NJ. The service has been great 5 stars!!

I was expecting the fix to take several days based on feedback from fellow comrades.

Good luck.
Wow...you really scored. Several of us had our cars in for ONE WEEK to do this job. Your car was done in one day. I wonder why such a huge difference? Anyway, congrats. Hope your whine stays away. My whining is much, much better. If I turn the radio/CD off...and listen it is still there, just so much better! Also, our other 2 cars are an M6 and an AMG...so I am also used to hearing something beautiful when accelerating. The 7 Series will never sound as good as those 2 monsters
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Wow...you really scored. Several of us had our cars in for ONE WEEK to do this job. Your car was done in one day. I wonder why such a huge difference? Anyway, congrats. Hope your whine stays away. My whining is much, much better. If I turn the radio/CD off...and listen it is still there, just so much better! Also, our other 2 cars are an M6 and an AMG...so I am also used to hearing something beautiful when accelerating. The 7 Series will never sound as good as those 2 monsters

I was surprised when I called for an update and they said the car was ready. I was expecting it to take a week.

I think it had a lot to do with info shared in this thread, before the car went in I confirmed with the workshop if they had all the O rings and gaskets etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 750 Li
Quote:
I was surprised when I called for an update and they said the car was ready. I was expecting it to take a week.

I think it had a lot to do with info shared in this thread, before the car went in I confirmed with the workshop if they had all the O rings and gaskets etc.
Glad it all turned out well for you. I am sure it was the fact that they had the O rings and the gaskets. Usually it takes a day to figure out that they don't have them and then some time to get them. You did well by giving them that information up front.

My car has been done for some time and I am still without any whine.

I am surprised Deutsch100 still has a little whine as mine is completely gone.

2010 750 Li |Citrin Black|Amaro Brown Leather|IndividualComposition|Piano Black Wood Trim|

2012 MB Designo S 550

Last edited by LovinM6; 10-13-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
UNCBimmer7

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
My car also developed this problem. Went in to my local dealer, Performance BMW, Chapel Hill, NC. My SA doesn't have a clue what the problem is but he did his job getting the foreman of the shop involved. The foreman knows exactly what wrong is with the car. He said, he did one 7 a few week back. Need to Oil pump... Parts are VIN based... Puma... He will order the parts, once the parts arrives he will call me and schedule service. He says, it is going to be a half day job...

I also have some noise problem from the dash when air condition is on. He said he will look into that too, but might take some time to diagnose. Great, at least my local did not deny the problems like some other "victims" here experienced.

Will keep you guys updated
Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM
UNCBimmer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huanjf View Post
My car also developed this problem. Went in to my local dealer, Performance BMW, Chapel Hill, NC. My SA doesn't have a clue what the problem is but he did his job getting the foreman of the shop involved. The foreman knows exactly what wrong is with the car. He said, he did one 7 a few week back. Need to Oil pump... Parts are VIN based... Puma... He will order the parts, once the parts arrives he will call me and schedule service. He says, it is going to be a half day job...

I also have some noise problem from the dash when air condition is on. He said he will look into that too, but might take some time to diagnose. Great, at least my local did not deny the problems like some other "victims" here experienced.

Called back to service center today and left a message for an update. surprisingly My SA called me back telling me that parts have arrived. Scheduled an appointment on the 28th with a loaner (don't know what kind of car that is going to be). Anyway, let's hope they will get rid of that whine.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM

I got my car back! No noise! Replacement oil pump fixed the issue! Here is the repair order with all the details and part numbers for my 2011 X5 50i:

http://i.imgur.com/eV2m1.jpg

Lets hope it lasts.. I'm sure it will.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM
UNCBimmer7

Put the car in today(10/28/2010) for Oil Pump replacement and Air condition dash noise. I hope they will fix my car without messing up anything else. Got a sucky loaner 328i. I thought we suppose to get X5 for the loaner. My dealer doesn't have a lot of loaners I guess. SA found Front passanger side tire wore out unevenly, not severe, will do a alignment for $168.
By the way, this is my first loaner car. Do dealer suppose to give you a car with Full gas and I shall return with full gas? I did not pay attention when I got the loaner this morning. The gas is half full.
Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster Nappa, Camera pkg, Convenience pkg, Driver Assistance pkg, Lux Seating pkg, Premim sound pkg, 19” Wheels/Performance RFT, Leather Instrument Panel, NightVision, Head-up Display, Satellite Radio

Last edited by huanjf; 10-28-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750Lix
Smile You Must be Kidding!

If you bought that 7 from that dealer, don't even think of putting gas in their loaner!