Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2011 35is
Newbie Introduction

Greetings all,

I'm in the final stages of color/option decisions on a 2011 Z4 35is to replace my current ride (2007 SLK55 AMG) and have already been garnering a whole bunch of great info from the forum, so I thought it was time I joined in the banter by introducing myself.

While I do love the SLK55, I'm going back to BMW (I had an 2003 M3 prior to the AMG, and own a BMW K1200LT motorcycle) I'm sure I'll find no argument with this group that the new Z4 is striking and simply "feels" great. (at least in the test drive I took a couple months back)

Am just narrowing my choices of colors - Titanium Silver is top of list, but the Blue is a close second. I'm in the desert of Arizona, and one thing I do like about the color of my SLK55 is that the silver hides the dust and almost always looks spotless. I have another car which is a similar deep blue as the Z4, and it is hard to keep it looking clean and dust-free.

I'm also debating the interior. I've always been a black leather guy, but the ivory in the Blue does look great, and my girlfriend has a preference for the ivory as well. This is my car, and not hers, so I don't want to go with a color scheme that I may regret later.

So is there a question here? Yes, has anyone done the dark blue with a black leather interior, rather than the ivory that seems to be more common?

Thanks!
Scott
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
My 2 cents .... to save yourself some major dollars ..... find a nice 2009 or 2010 Z4 3.5i and you will love it (I also had a M3 ... 2002) love the Z4 3.5i more.

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5i
Thumbs up

The hardest part about ordering a new Z, is that in the weeks you are waiting for your new ride, you get plenty of time to second guess your color choices...

I love the titanium silver/coral red combo (it's what I have on my current Z- which is now officially dealer property and merely a loaner while I await my PCD next week). It would look pretty nice with a black interior, as well.

A couple of years back, I saw my first E85 with the space grey and red interior, and immediately had car envy. So when I came to order this one, that's the combo I went with- though I had thoughts of the blue with walnut/ivory, as well. I would worry that the ivory would be hard to keep clean- I have heard stories about how easily it discolors just from wearing denim, and needs frequent cleaning. That would be an argument for the black, i suppose.

You should really check out some pix of the melbourne red- I held off on this, not having seen the color in person, and not wanting to look too much like I was having a mid-life crisis (though as I told my wife, if I could have afforded one of these when I was 23, I would have bought one then!). But it is really stunning. It would look great with the black interior, too (wouldn't that be awfully hot in an Arizona summer?). Take a look at some of the pics in this forum of Atty's car- it has the melbourne red with the walnut interior, and is perhaps the best looking Z I've seen yet. Check it out before you make a final call.

Also, if you're ordering, I would look into doing an ED or PCD (or both!). It does mean you might wait a bit longer for your car, but I think you'll find it's an experience that may well be worth it.

2011 E89 Z4 sDrive35is Space Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Aluminum Carbon trim; Premium Package, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC, Anti-theft
2008 E60 528i
2005 E85 Z4 Roadster 2.5i (Retired)

BMWCCA Member #434186
Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the shout back and the points of view. I hear ya when you start second guessing your choices as there are any number of combinations for which have a strong appeal. You are right, it does come down to each of us making that "final call" on our choices - it is good to get other's point of view as I go through the process. I've been to 3 different dealerships several times as their inventory arrives in order to check out the combinations. I too had concerns about marking and discoloration of the ivory - after all, I'm a guy and not the most careful, and black does hide any number of marks. While black is hotter in the AZ sun, it is usually top-up driving in the summer during the day and top-down once the sun goes down. The other 9 months of the year, it is top-down!

(a side note, the "air scarf" heater in the SLK55 is an amazing feature - one that makes top-down driving warm and comfortable even in the coldest of temps - and the women LOVE having the warm air blowing over their neck and shoulders)

Rolf,
I hear ya. There's some great deals and 0.9% financing avail for the '09's. I'm stuck on the 19" wheels that are available on the 35is, not to mention the other "M" stuff. I'm sure I could go aftermarket wheel/tire set up for the money I'd save by going with an 08 or 09, so it is something worth considering.

...I'll be doing a lot of "considering" in the coming days/weeks.

I'm being told 8 weeks if I were to order.

I haven't been getting prices yet, but have been pulling invoice pricing from KBB and others. Are people getting deals close to invoice cost?

Scott
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
Last year I ordered mine June 11th- drove it off the dealers lot July 21 - great car - not too many of them around either -

Phil
Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i / 2011 Z4 35is
Welcome to the club, Mr Breeze! Just to add my two cents, you may want to consider a color interior other than black for the contrasting effects against the dash, upper door panels, and carpet. I have an all black interior in my E60 and I love it, but to me a monochromatic color scheme says "stately" whereas a contrasting color scheme speaks more to my sporting nature. It depends on the effect you want this car to have on you because it definitely will have an effect! For me personally I avoid darker exterior colors because I'm obsessive about my cars and a layer of dust would drive me nuts. Even the Melbourne red is dark enough for me to notice dust as I'm pulling out of the garage. The titanium silver, though, I never notice it. When I started my search though, the blue was my first choice because the color was absolutely stunning especially in the sun. That car never panned out though so I ended up ordering. The Melbourne red is new this year so I though what the heck and went for it. I don't regret it one bit.

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

2011 Mini Cooper S - Hot Chocolate

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
I was going to do ED and had a bad case of color angst--I started off with dark blue/ivory white, then alpine white/red, then ended up deciding black/walnut after seeing what atty chose....then stumbled across an amazing deal on a brand new '09 in black and beige. I'm very picky about my cars too, and I wipe down my seats and other beige areas every week or two max.

There are leftovers to be had with 19" wheels. My local dealer had two leftover '09 3.5's, one of which had 19" wheels. If money is not an issue, ED and/or PCD or ordering is the way to go and get exactly what you want. If you want to save $$, start looking around here and online for leftover '09's and '10s, there are great deals to be had--see the thread "blowout deals on leftover Z4s" for an example.

As far as current model pricing, there are several forum sponsors who do deal, and you might also find someone local. Read the forums for what people typically pay over invoice--most of us know what invoice is (easily found), we add on Maco & training, which is about $600, and then add whatever markup we're willing to offer, and use that as our price point. When I'm shopping I ask the CA how much over invoice (less incentives) he'll sell me the car for, and we go from there.

Welcome to our group--we're a lot of fun! but one question--are you a Blackhawks fan or Flyers fan?

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post

Welcome to our group--we're a lot of fun! but one question--are you a Blackhawks fan or Flyers fan?
Oh, erdoran... you just had to start, didn't you! I just know you're hoping, waiting, thinking, and praying that Mr Breeze is a Flyers fan. He's closer to Chicago, so I'm willing to bet he's a Blackhawks fan! (But not my Z4... I'm waiting to pick up my new garage mate on Friday!)

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
atty, that is a GREAT pic of your (soon to be my) car! Seriously I think that is my favorite shot of her--the angles are great!

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Hmm... 3 - 3 in OT. The game isn't broadcast here, so I'm only getting internet updates, but at least we're giving you a shred of hope... reeling you in, that is! Thanks for the compliments on the picture. I do like how the reflections show off the lines. The compliments really should go to the camera and not the photographer! Err, make that the compliments should go to the subject!

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Dudes,
I'm originally from MN, and so I was a NorthStars fan until Dallas stole our team! (I'll never forgive them for that) And even though I moved to AZ 3 years ago, I'm still loyal to my Minnesota teams. With that said, I'm backin' the Blackhawks. The last time they won a Cup was the year I was born, and damn, that's one hell of a long time ago!

Thanks for the comments and the welcome to the forum. Love the rides you guys are showin'. Black, Red, or any color in between, these Z4's are stunning!

Scott
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Hi Mr. Breeze,

I can really understand your dilemma. I had seen a blue Z4 back around last Thanksgiving and thought it was interesting with the white interior but probably not for me, (even though I wasn't even considering buying a car then).
A couple of months ago I really started the shopping process of buying a sports car. That Z4 came back to mind as well as a Porsche Boxter. Well, it took all of 45 seconds at the Porsche dealer to see that I wouldn't be carrying any golf clubs in there and that was the end of that. After some time reading reviews of the Z4, I knew it was my choice and it was going to be a "color", not black, grey, silver or white. I drive past a BMW dealership on my way to work every day and it's like looking at a black and white photograph! "Damn it, I'm getting a color"! I was thinking it would be a red 35is!

Now it was time to sell my wife on the idea. Red or blue I asked. She instantly said blue (I think she was afraid of that "middle aged crazy" thing). We visited a dealer that only had a space grey Z4 but took the brochure filled with beautiful pictures of white on blue Z4's. We thought we were both sold!

As I felt I was getting close to ordering a car I decided it would be smart to see the blue again in person. I was going to be in the San Francisco Bay area a couple of weeks ago so I knew where I could see a blue car, in fact they had two well equipped 2010 35i models. On the showroom floor it looked really nice, but then we saw one outside next to a space grey. My wife asked if they were the same car because they looked so different. That's when I discovered the strong lines of the car really "pop" on the lighter colors. The next day I saw the Titanium silver w/ black at another dealer and it was STUNNING! I had a Titanium silver w/black 1999 323i and I currently drive a silver w/ black Acura TL (I'm really going to miss that torque steer).

On the 24th of May, I ordered 2011 35is with Titanium silver with black extended leather. So much for getting a "color" and now I understand why almost all those cars at the BMW dealership are silver and grey.

Having said all that, I highly recommend that you see the car in person before you order one. The Z4 is a beautiful car and will look great in any of the colors offered.

Regarding you question about blue with black interior, here is a link to a video I found. The colors don't seem to have enough contrast. Also notice it shows the dirt.

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted!

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Alter Peter

Color Combos and Hockey Fever

Good Morning Fellows .....

Going on with the color story I like to add my point of view. I purchased a 2008 Z4 3.0is Alpine White with Beige interior after I returned from Germany in 2009 visiting VW, Mercedes, Porsche and BMW factories. I got that car it was a left over at the dealer. The dealer also had a black one same year only it was sold and so I jumped at the white one. I asked the sales man (needless to say I visited often) to make me an offer I could not refuse, so he did and I purchased the car. I drove this car for 10 months. Now I am a car nut and my car has to be clean and I did find it difficult to keep this color combination clean. Needless to say my mind kept returning to the nice car color combinations I've seen during the German Z4 2009 debut in Munich on May 9th 009. So I started early last month to look for a slightly used 2009 up here in Canada.

I found three at around 5,500 KM (3,400 Miles) and they were black on red / white on black & the one I got Orion Silver on Black. I liked the one I got the most the lines were jumping out at me when I saw it in person. Then I remembered that I saw it before in the BMW Museum last year. I checked my photo album and sure enough there it was. BMW must have had a reason to put a sparkling new Bimmer with this exterior color in the Museum in 2009. Anyway I got the car.

Yes I lost some money on the trade in, then on the other hand I gained some on my new, well slightly used 2009 acquisition. I love this Z4 3.5i the way it handles it reminds me so much of my M3. My next one will be new and not an impulse kind of purchase.

Now on the Hockey side of things, I lived in Edmonton for many years and yes I saw the Edmonton Oilers win each of there Stanley Cups. I was at the game when Edmonton lost to Calgary in the game when Smith scored accidentally on his own goal and Calgary took the cup. Now that I live between Toronto and Chicago I have to say I am pulling for Chicago. My Oilers are in last place this year and unless they make some major changes it be quite a while before they win another cup. So Go Hawks Go. ~s~

Below are 2 photos .... the one I took at BMW in München on May 9th 2009 and the last one my now priced possession.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Museum 15.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	232879   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1508.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	232880  

Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5i
Ah, but Rolf- in the cap-driven NHL, you need to stink it up for a few years (and pick up those top draft picks) to be successful (see exhibit #1, Kane and Toewes, exhibit #2, Malkin and Crosby, exhibit #3, Bakstrom and Ovie- though the Caps haven't won anything yet). The oilers will rise again, I'm sure.

And not to open any old wounds, but I was at game 7 when the 'Canes beat the Oilers in 2006.

2011 E89 Z4 sDrive35is Space Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Aluminum Carbon trim; Premium Package, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC, Anti-theft
2008 E60 528i
2005 E85 Z4 Roadster 2.5i (Retired)

BMWCCA Member #434186
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Alter Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HospiceDoc View Post
Ah, but Rolf- in the cap-driven NHL, you need to stink it up for a few years (and pick up those top draft picks) to be successful (see exhibit #1, Kane and Toewes, exhibit #2, Malkin and Crosby, exhibit #3, Bakstrom and Ovie- though the Caps haven't won anything yet). The oilers will rise again, I'm sure.

And not to open any old wounds, but I was at game 7 when the 'Canes beat the Oilers in 2006.
Yes .... yes ... it was game 7 and I still have tears when I think back

Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM

It's great reading your stories as to the contemplations you went through when making your choices. Sometimes the color combination just screams "This is the one!" and other times (such as with the Z4) there really isn't a bad combination, just degrees of good. When I bought a Miata the first year they came out (before they became a "chick car") it just had to be red. It was a no-brainer for me on that one. Z4Golfer's comment about "damn it, it will be a color" struck me as both funny and true to where I'm at too. The SLK55 is "Iridim Silver" (the racing heritage), and was another one where the color for me was a no-brainer.

I thought about the cars I've owned, and what I've discovered is that I have a tendencies: 5 black, 2 silver, 1 red, 1 blue (very similar to the Deep Sea Blue) and perhaps part of my thoughts around getting "a color" is that having a silver convertible these past 3+ years, part of me wants something new in the color dept. Now going with the 35is, there are a couple colors which are not options - both the Mohave and Orion Silver are not choices. I actually like them both - they are different, rich looking, and the color morphs as the light changes from bright sun to shade to twighlight to night. Very compelling. But I'm set on the 35is as I love, love, love the 326M wheels and the other "M" stuff.

I think I just need to keep going to the dealerships and looking at them at different times of day....certainly there are worse things to do with my free time than hang around a bunch of amazing BMW's!!!

BTW, thanks for posting the pics and video - seeing the blue on black helps. I would usually be distracted by the ivory headrests popping above the body when the top is down. My Mazda CX-9 is a similar deep blue metalic with black leather interior, so I like the combination, but it isn't the same as seeing the Z4 with the top down in a similar color combo.

Scott
Old 06-13-2010, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Call me autistic but I get shaken by the enlarged shutline on the closed roof on the lighter coloured cars. For that reason alone I prefer the darker colours - black, blue and even the new red...
Such a personal thing though.
MOst important thing is to be happy with your choice.
None of us should have to defend our choice.. ;o)

Dr Stig
Australia
Z4 sDrive 35is
Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Scott
I went to Chapman BMW in Chandler yesterday. I wanted to look at the 35is they have in Deep Sea Blue. Although it was in the parking garage and the light was not great, I knew DSB was the color for me. The silver does look great. For me, the dark colors looks great in a roadster. I know it gets dusty but that is the price to pay. I know how you feel about the color choices. The ivory interior looks amazing but as I have a 16 year old son, that color is out of the question. My first Miata was red with a black interior. My second Miata was maroon. Now I am ready for the blue.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The good thing is there are no bad options.

Vance
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Vance,
Glad you got the chance to check out the Deep Sea Blue, and it confirmed your choice! I agree that it looks amazing. (thus, making it more difficult for me to decide). I agree also about the Ivory interior - looks stunning. (not to mention my girlfriend loves the DSB and Ivory) but I am still drawn to the classic black interior and there is less to worry about in care/cleaning.

Sounds like we may have had the same Miata - Red with Black Interior. (although I never had a 2nd one)

I concur - no matter what the color of the Z4, they all look amazing - that's what a good design will do!

My order is still in the "On Order" status - hasn't yet move to scheduled for production - but it hasn't been a week yet....now is time for me to be patient.

Scott