Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Interesting. I was fairly concerned when Doru's original post came out about the lack of cold weather braking since I have Akes and it gets pretty cold here in NE. But I had already had one winter on them with no problems. After another winter of no problems, I really don't even think about this issue. When I installed these pads, I bedded them using Zeckhausen's procedure. I could smell the pads! And I have never had any cold weather braking issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post

However, I just don't like the "feel" of the Ake pads. While the lack of dust is great and they have been quiet as a mouse, I find there is less initial bite and the pedal pressure needed to modulate my braking is non-linear compared to the old OEM pads. These characteristics are not bad enough to replace the pads now but when the time comes, I think I will consider alternate brands.

As with many aftermarket products, it's all about the tradeoffs.

When I experienced the total loss of brake, I was more than worried. A whole week after that I was driving in the right lane with grandma speeds, getting honked every now and then, until I started to drive faster and faster. And yes, after the whole story, they performed "normal" and exactly as you said - lack of initial bite. Also, I believe you still have to push the pedal harder. I flushed the brake fluid about 2 months ago, and there is no improvement either. And the next pads will be either the Stop Tech pads Jason has, or maybe I will be using the spare Jurids that sit on a shelf in my garage.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Doru, on a separate note, has your opinion of the Houlignan changed? I'll check the other thread for an update on your feedback.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Doru, on a separate note, has your opinion of the Houlignan changed? I'll check the other thread for an update on your feedback.

The biggest issue with the unit is that there is no instruction manual. The "manual" that comes with it is very generic, and does not cover almost anything. It took me a while to figure out how to store my radio stations in my preferred order. Also, this is a unit from last year, so maybe there are improvents made since.
On my unit, to set the clock, whenever the DST kicks in, you have to turn the clock forward 24 hrs for the settings to stay.
The left memory card has the ugly interface, and although there is Wince 6 out, I have no idea how to install and start changing things. On BMW-planet.com, the guys posted different skin sites which have some very nice graphics - and again, I never had a chance to tinker with it, it seems quite easy to change the skins/appearance, but maybe this will be a project for this winter. I still haven't tried my Ipod out... I store my music files and movies on the right memory card (slot), and that's what I use when I want to listen to my music - no complaints here. The nav, I have Igo 8, which has too many features compared to a Magellan or Tom-Tom for example. But then, one can use the extras, once you figure them out (As I said, there's no manual). The bluetooth is phenomenal. I tried the dvd player only a couple of times and I have no complaints either. Glaring can be an issue pending on the time of the day and how the external light hits the screen. To set the "correct" loudness (no manual) you have to set it to very low in the settings, so the stepping is not that notchy. Once you figure out all the caveats, it's not a bad unit, knock on wood it stays like this.
The main features I use are the radio, blutooth, GPS, mp3 from memory card, video clips from memory card. The other ones I didn't really need (cd/dvd, ipod, tv). I also did not hook up the rear view camera. A friend of mine did, and it works excellent, but it's too much work involved.
One more thing I don't like: every time you use the touch screen, there's that annoying beep - the engineer who designed this should have his head checked - you cannot turn off that beep.
I also kept the MID in the glovebox to have access to the BMW on board display - this will reduce the amount of stuff you can cram in there.
By the end of the day I still think it's a great upgrade. Looks and features standpoint. And it works with the steering wheel buttons.
P.S. the phone book entry captured from your device (iphone, blackberry, etc) does work very slow or not at all. You have to store he numbers without brackets or dashes in your unit. Maybe this issue is fixed in the latest models?

Take care
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Recently installed Akebono Euro Ceramic...comparison and opinion

I've come full circle. When I first purchased my 540 M-Sport I liked the brakes, but hated the black dust...I quickly swapped out the pads for Axxis Deluxe Plus pads and ss brake lines from Dave Zechausen. I ran on those for about 70k miles, then decided I would prefer a bit more initial cold bite, and replaced all rotors with oem style Brembo and Porterfield R4S (carbon/kevlar) pads. Slightly better performing pad, with a bit more dust. Not nearly as bad as oem, but (at the time) I felt a decent compromise. At 164k miles, I was due for another brake job recently, and decided to go with Akebono, and less dust again, along with new Zimmerman Z coated front rotors. Rear Brembos had plenty of "meat" on them, so left them alone.

I now have abougt 150 miles on them and can tell you there is an immediate difference in less initial cold bite, and slightly softer pedal feel compared to the Porterfield R4S. These pads remind me of the Axxis Deluxe Plus in feel and performance. Not a bad thing, but not as good as the Porterfield or oem. I just want less dust without compromising too much performance, and these are fine for my "daily driver". To be honest, none of these pads give anywhere near the pedal feel of using Porterfield R4S pads in the Brembos on my Ferrari. Calipers seem to make a big difference in pedal feel.

(btw, all my vehicles have ss brake lines)
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.

Last edited by 540 M-Sport; 08-26-2011 at 02:12 PM.