Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
BMW Engines to Power Saabs? What do you think about a M-powered Saab?

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

Saab could use BMW and Mini engines to power its next generation Saab 9-3 and new 92, according to Autocar sources.

Other unconfirmed reports also suggest that the deal between BMW and Saab could extend to Saab building its 9-2 on the Mini platform - something that would appeal to Mini as it attempts to increase volume and cut costs.

It's thought that as early as last summer Saab had its eye on the highly regarded 1.6-litre turbo petrol and turbodiesel units used in the Mini, and reports from Sweden now suggest the deal is done.

The company is keen on what it calls 'right-sized' engines, which it can modify using its extensive experience in turbocharging and engine management technology.

The sources now say that BMW and Saab have already signed an agreement for the Swedish company to buy in the new BMW-derived diesel and petrol engines that are set to make their debut in the forthcoming Mini Countryman.

If true, the deal could include the new 184bhp 1.6-litre, twin-scroll turbo Cooper S engine and the 112bhp 1.6-litre diesel engine used in the Countryman.

Indeed, a senior BMW source recently told Autocar that his company had "no problem" supplying engines to other car makers.

These engines are likely to be mated to the Countryman's new six-speed manual gearbox, which has the ability to accommodate a four-wheel drive system. Saab, however, would retain its own Haldex-based XWD system no matter who supplies the engines.

Saab is also likely to offer a dual-clutch gearbox in the 93, given that it has already developed one for GM.

Ahead of these newly sourced engines, however, Saab is expected to launch a mildly refreshed version of the current 9-3 powered by a GM-sourced 1.6-litre turbo petrol engine.

Source - http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=250452
This article has been viewed 2792 times.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
Well, its fine to me now that Saab is owned by Spyker.. Right? I thought they owned it