Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 2.3
Best time of year for ED?

First post on bimmerfest, I was initiated through e46fanatics...

I was curious, and it may be an obvious question, but when is the best time of year to do ED. I'm going to plan on doing it next year at some point, but would like to maximize my experience. Of course I'm taking into account things such as weather, holidays/festivals, etc.

Thanks in advance,
-D
Old 11-19-2003, 05:04 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious_D
First post on bimmerfest, I was initiated through e46fanatics...

I was curious, and it may be an obvious question, but when is the best time of year to do ED. I'm going to plan on doing it next year at some point, but would like to maximize my experience. Of course I'm taking into account things such as weather, holidays/festivals, etc.

Thanks in advance,
-D
Needless to say, each season has it advantages. Weather-wise, you're probably going to get less harsh weather in the summer (although I was caught in a horrendous hailstorm on the A8 near Siegfried this July). Festivals vary, of course, and it depends on where you're headed. Truffles in Alba? Melons in the south of France?

Given that days are longer in the summer, you'll probably want to aim for a delivery in late spring or summer. Fall can be nice as well.

Other questions to ask yourself -- are you looking for a lot of driving? Some of the mountain roads close in the winter. You might not want to drive in the dark either. Are you looking for a lot of activities? Or do you want to escape the crowds? Far fewer tourists in the winter. Florence in the Thanksgiving period is so much easier to enjoy -- no lines at the museums for example.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Needless to say, each season has it advantages. Weather-wise, you're probably going to get less harsh weather in the summer (although I was caught in a horrendous hailstorm on the A8 near Siegfried this July). Festivals vary, of course, and it depends on where you're headed. Truffles in Alba? Melons in the south of France?

Given that days are longer in the summer, you'll probably want to aim for a delivery in late spring or summer. Fall can be nice as well.

Other questions to ask yourself -- are you looking for a lot of driving? Some of the mountain roads close in the winter. You might not want to drive in the dark either. Are you looking for a lot of activities? Or do you want to escape the crowds? Far fewer tourists in the winter. Florence in the Thanksgiving period is so much easier to enjoy -- no lines at the museums for example.
These are all very good points. Due to financial constraints, and the fact I won't have enough vacation time saved up until then, I was planning on going next year between OCT-DEC. I will also be going with my gf so I can drive a lot, but will also be going for the tourism aspect as well. I am not big on traffic/crowds and all that jazz, so I guess winter suits me fine. As long as I find a warm pub I'm happy.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have a ton of other questions during the coming year as I plan this trip out.

-D
Old 11-19-2003, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: MCS
Quote:
I was planning on going next year between OCT-DEC.
Are you a BMW CCA member?
If not, I suggest you become a member NOW so that you can advantage of the "Membership Reward Program" ($500 rebate for all 3ers).

BMW CCA Membership Reward Program:
http://www.bmwcca.org/PDFs/Form-MembershipReward.pdf
One could take advantage of the rewards program on an European Delivery car. However, you must be a member of the car club one year prior to the purchase date without letting your membership lapse to take advantage of this program.

Also, here is some useful BMW ED info/links...
http://www.eurobuyers.com/eurodelivery.html
http://www.bariaur.com/e39/EDsavings.html

ED Experience
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derprofi/bmw/ed.htm

Negotiating method that can be applied to any new car purchase.
http://e46fanatics.com/faq/rizzo.html

BMW MY 2004 Wholesale/Retail Pricing:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39409

BMW Dealer Profit over invoice for ED
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38407

BMW Dealers with ED experience:

Client Advisor BMW Dealer Town/City State
Lonnie Phillips Allison BMW Mountain View CA
Steve Marx Center BMW Sherman Oaks CA
Lori Vee Concord BMW Concord CA
Jon Shafer Cutter Motors BMW Santa barbara CA
Anatoly Nesherat East Bay BMW Pleasanton CA
Hank Castillo Long Beach BMW Signal Hill CA
New Century BMW Alhambra CA
Gary Carroll Niello BMW Sacramento CA
Tina Swistak Sterling BMW Newport Beach CA
Dave Parker Steven's Creek Santa Clara CA
Ali Samadani Weatherford BMW Berkeley CA
Adrianerick Avila Nalley BMW Decatur GA
Mark Wakeford Newbold BMW O'fallon IL
Jim Bauchwitz BMW of Orland ParkOrland Park IL
Irv Robinson Motorwers BMW Barrington IL
Walter Bruetting Brian Harris BMW Baton Rouge LA
Joern Esser Passport BMW Marlow Heights MD
Tate BMW Annapolis MD
Ted Walawender Carbone BMW Utica NY
Dan Commune Sun Motor Cars Mechanicsburg PA
Larry Rochelle BMW Of Beaumont Beaumont TX
Ron Elms Garlyn Shelton BMW Bryan TX
Craig Caddell Garlyn Shelton BMW Temple TX
Rob Faulkner BMW Lancaster PA

Good Luck!

Last edited by JFS; 11-19-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM
take'r easy

Mein Auto: '03 330i - ED 05.12.03
Nice job JFS!

October-December should work out ok. It won't be as touristy (Octoberfest is wrapping up by October) and the weather in October shouldn't be too bad. Even if you go in December the roads are well maintained. There are a lot of ED stories here w/ pictures and I'm sure some of them will give you a good idea on what to expect.

It is an unbelievable experience!

BTW, welcome to the 'fest!

Beautiful daughter born 10/12/2008!! I am blessed.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:27 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS
BMW Dealers with ED experience:

Client Advisor BMW Dealer Town/City State
Jon Shafer Cutter Motors BMW Santa barbara CA
That should probably read "Keith Kinealy" for Cutter. Jon was the GSM there, but Keith did and continues to do European Delivery.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 11-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525
Nice post!

JFS-that is asuper nice and helpful post!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac
JFS-that is asuper nice and helpful post!
I second that!
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 11-22-2003, 11:58 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
October can be a very pleasant time of year to go. If you go in very early October, you can attend Oktoberfest. The weather in much of Europe is cool, but otherwise pleasant. The crowds are much less, and you can find cheaper rates on airlines and hotels.

Also, October is typically when the new model year vehicle is released. This way, you can take delivery of a 2005 model in 2004 and have it to your door before the new year. This is especially good if you like to trade up after a year or two and don't want to take an immediate depreciation hit. The problem with buying in the Summer is that by the time you get the car in the US, the next model year vehicle is only a month or two away. Your car almost immediately becomes last years model.

If you do plan to do ED in the Summer, and your primary reason is to save money, you are almost better off doing a US delivery in October and cashing in the facatory to dealer incentives (which on many vehicles can equal the ED savings) to clear out the current model year stock. Only problem is you may not find exactly what you want (color, options...)
Old 11-23-2003, 05:40 PM

First off, big thanks to JFS for that awesome post. And thank everyone for the thoughtful responses.

In response JFS, yes I read that "how to guide to ED" that someone posted on here and immediately joined the BMW CCA. That was only a few days ago, so in order to make use of that rebate I would have to wait a year. So.... it's looking like its going to be an after-thanksgiving trip or pre-chirstmas.

The bad thing is that is a long time to wait, but the good thing is I have 365 days to plan it and 365 nights to dream about it. I can't tell you how many times I have "built" my dream car on the main BMW site and using the invoice price sheets and how many times I have drastically changed my mind. Hopefully this year I will be able to make some decisions. You guys will probably be sick of me next summer when I ask about 1000 questoins about packages, colors, etc.

So to the people that have done ED, would you rather take the trip alone, or bring along a significant other that isn't really into cars as much as you are. There are obviously many different ways you can approach this trip - a straight pick-up a new car trip, a true vacation with sightseeing, or strictly one big road trip - or any combination of the above. Part of me wants to begin the love affair with my new BMW by myself, but part of me would like to have my gf there to share the experience.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:

So to the people that have done ED, would you rather take the trip alone, or bring along a significant other that isn't really into cars as much as you are. There are obviously many different ways you can approach this trip - a straight pick-up a new car trip, a true vacation with sightseeing, or strictly one big road trip - or any combination of the above. Part of me wants to begin the love affair with my new BMW by myself, but part of me would like to have my gf there to share the experience.
Well, I decided to do mine alone ... although since I combined it with a biz trip so that was the only practical way.
I really enjoyed the one on one time with my new car.
I did 1070 miles and never got bored at all!
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525
Depends

I_D: it might depend on how much time you have and how significant the significant is: I have done it several ways: quick business trip: alone.
Longer trip with a magnificant significant.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:22 PM
take'r easy

Mein Auto: '03 330i - ED 05.12.03
There is nothing better then getting to enjoy a wonderful experience with someone else. The car was a blast and my wife got a kick seeing my excitement over the car.

Beautiful daughter born 10/12/2008!! I am blessed.