Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 bmw 325i
89 325i Windows wont roll up or down ! HELP!!!

Ok.. So one day got in my car tryd to roll the windows up and they would not roll up... I checked the switches and fuses and nothing is worng with those... I even checked the motors to see if they were bad, but they arnt...

So i fiddled with the fuses a lil and i got the lights to light up on the switchs and tryd to roll up the windows again, but failed...

Then i just left it alone, for a bit.. fiddled with the fuses some more, and outta the blue the windows worked... i put back on the door panels and everything... got back in my car to check to see if they worked still and of course they didnt.. Now the lights arnt lighting up, and i have no power running to them...

What do i do now.. Its frustrating, that i can roll my windows up and down, with this hot weather were i live at..

SO DOES ANYONE NO SOMETHING ELSE TO TRY TO FIX THIS??? COULD THIS BE A RELAY PROB???

Any advice ill take...

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 325e, GSXR-750
You might have tripped the relay in your dash its a solid Black button i think to the right of the emergency flasher light. It should be pressed in for the windows to work. Also make sure you replace the fuse with the correct rating, I believe its a 30A for fuse 17 and make sure it fits in tight.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM

are you talking about the black button above the window switch... i think thats what your talking about cause i have red past thread about this prob.. But anyways to that switch there is no power running to it.... i have no idea why.. Bc yesterday it did have power running to it.... and the fuse it is a 30A and it is tight....

Im trying to find an allternative way to run the windows.. But no luck so far
Old 06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
BMW...riceless

Mein Auto: 1987 325is
if your sunroof works and the windows dont...look under drivers side dash. just to the left of your clutch pedal. there is a single plug connector. i believe it has a green wire with black stripe. the power goes from fuse to sunroof...the connector runs power to the circuit breaker in your dash. it does not make real good contact. i am going to solder mine and cover with shrink tubing. check sunroof for power first though. if it works, then this will fix your problem. .
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM

its a black rectangle same size as the Emergency flasher button and right next to it, if your sunroof works but your all your windows dont then theres a chance that this buton poped out and needs to be pressed back in, when it pops out it has a red line showing around it.

As for an alternate way to roll your windows up if they died while they were down u can get an alen wrench and take the round plug off your door panels and manualy roll them up/down.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
1984 E30

Send a message via AIM to 84e30
Mein Auto: 1984 E30 325e
this is some useful information since my driver side window doesnt roll down and i havent figured out why but also i havent put much effort into fixing it since my A/C worked but since the compressor died a couple days ago i have to get that window to go down, it feels like im driving my car threw hell with the window stuck up, lol, especially in southern california heat
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM

see my sunroof is a manual one... so im not sure i have the single plug connector but ill look and see... Also what round plug are you talking about... i took off the door panel like 5 times now trying to find something but i dont ever recall seeing a round plug???

84e30 i no how you feel on the compressor going out... Mine whent out 2 weeks ago.. It sucks
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM

i mean plug like a round plastic thing that covers the hole where you stick an alen wrench into maybe your doors are dfferent im not sure but on my 4 door it looks like this
http://mason.gmu.edu/~ashiroma/forsa...or_Panel_1.JPG

Also i think this manual rolling only applies to the front windows.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Hump, What hump?

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
I don't think the later models had manual rolling, only the early ones.

You can probably steal power from the cigarette lighter since it is in the center console, may need to up the fuse for it if you keep popping it.

I have a pdf of the ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual), PM me if you want it or some pages on electric windows.

It helps a lot if you are solid on how electric windows work:

Double pole, double throw switches wired to reverse polarity,

Power supply through relay, fuse and/or circuit breaker.

Tracing power till it stops, checking for grounds.

For my money I would just eliminate that stupid kill switch by pulling it out and connecting the two wires together, mine is pretty crappy and I don't really trust it.

If you aren't getting power, just bring power from somewhere else, if it works, start tracing back until you get steady power, you will find the culprit.

EDIT:

Here is the wiring diagram for a 2-door, no lockout switch is shown, but I bet if you bypass it you can just troubleshoot it with this diagram.

Looks like you need to double check the ground, just connect the wire yourself to a known good ground, and same for the power, then work your way along the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window wiring.JPG
Views:	5550
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	235010  

Bayerische Motoren Werke Liefert Das Ultimative Fahrerlebnis

Last edited by Salvage_Title; 06-19-2010 at 11:06 PM.