Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Bike rack problem 2011 x5: all bicyclists should read

I just got a 2011 x5...my first BMW. SF BMW was to install hitch for bike rack. I get a call and they say that the bumper is different so they don't have the piece that will make it look "pretty" after they cut the hole in the bumper. So they won't do it. I am not happy at all. What are the other options? I had the RX350 before and had a tailgate mounted rack for 2 bikes and threw the kids bikes in the back. was very much looking forward to having a hitch mount to get those bikes out of the car. What are your suggestions? Anyone else have this issue? btw, the sales manager was a total prick about it. I suggested that they leave the hitch on and that I would then have them finish the work when the part is made available. Nope, he has them spend another 2 hours to remove it and didn't offer an apology or anything. I would NOT recommend SF BMW. Frankly not a great experience with my first BMW ever having been with Lexus for a long time.
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Did you pick the car up yet?

Explain to them that there is a document you you and they signed (you did, right?) at the time of delivery that REQUIRES them to intall the rack. Period. The deal isn't 'consummated' until they complete the install., If they can't put on a rack they can keep the car.

THen talk to the general manager and the service manager. Leave the car.

SF BMW really does suck, but with so many captive customers they can afford to be pricks.

A

PS Lots of threads on the hitch...you can shop around, line up an install elsewhere (peter pan, concord, etc), then make them pay.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM

It wasn't expressly in the contract because it's a dealer add-on. I sort of feel for the salesperson because she said they changed the bumper and BMW didn't give them any guidance on this (not sure if I believe that 100%). My beef is that they took the time to put it on, delaying delivery of my vehicle. The sales manager then unilaterally decided to take it off and put the bumper back on, even after I suggested they leave it on and I'll pay for the hitch as soon as that part comes in. As far as I'm concerned, I had a verbal agreement to install it and they aren't honoring that, but it's more of an inconvenience issue than anything else. I also ordered a rack from REI so not sure what to do now--return it or have BMW do something...very frustrating
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
There is usually a separate document that lists dealer installed items that were not delivered. Without this you have just Crazy a verbal agreement!??!? Crazy.

The rack for 2011 should be available I think (It isn't a personal interest so I don't read the many threads on this that pop up...) You should search here and on xoutpost.com

A
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM

it's not like I can't go to other dealers in the area, so I'll take my business elsewhere...one other guy posted separately that he had his installed on a 2011 so it is possible-they just have to make it difficult I guess. Thanks for the advice though