Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Show compassion to all.

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Considering a used 35D... questions.

EDIT: I forgot to include the mileages I'm considering for my purchase... anywhere from 65K miles to a maximum of 100K miles.

I know this has been asked, but virtually all of the threads I've read are several years old, and I'm looking for up-to-date guidance and input on purchasing a 2009-2011 35D.

Context... I own two 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesels (2002 F250 and 2003 Excursion), so I am not new to the world of turbo diesel engines. One of my sons has also owned a couple of older BMW gassers (2000 323i and 1998 318ti), so I'm not completely unfamiliar with some of the nuances of older BMW's. However, marrying the two (older BMW and turbo diesel) is not a combination with which I am very familiar. I have searched through a number of threads, and have gained some knowledge from the reading, but like I said, I want more up-to-date guidance in my current search.

If chosen, the "new to me" 35D will replace my 2003 Excursion and will be my wife's daily grocery getter and general around town vehicle.

Here are my questions...

1) Has anyone put together a BMW 35D specific guide for inspecting and purchasing higher mileage used vehicles? If so, could someone point me to it?

2) If the answer to Q1 above is "no", would someone be willing to compile such a list of specific things to check for and inspect, and some insights as to what is or is not acceptable?

3) I've read about CBU and DEF and EGR system issues... any updated specific guidance as to these particular issues?

4) Has anyone ever pursued a DEF system delete? If not, why not? If so, order of magnitude cost estimate?

5) I've seen a few casual references to an EGR delete (if I recall correctly)... same questions as in Q4 above.

6) Has anyone done a DIY for CBU cleaning, or is this just not practical?

7) Are there any DIY docs for the ATF and Xfer case fluid change? If so, where?

8) I've read about brake life being around 30-45K miles (30K for rear and 40-45K for fronts). Is that the general experience or just the one guy who posted those numbers? Also, are the BMW brake jobs as easy to do yourself as for most other vehicles (I'm anal about making sure they are done right, and am not willing to pay someone exorbitant fees for doing things I can do myself)?

9) Can someone tell me why I should NOT consider a 2009-2011 35D?

10) For the near 100K mile vehicle option, are there any particular maintenance items which can be verified or need to be done right away if not verified?

Thanks ahead of time for your replies and insights.

Pete

Last edited by F250; 06-12-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: e90
Love my 2010 X5d. Brakes are cake. Bimmer perforfamance center (BPC) quoted me $3400 for DEF/EGR delete and tune. Other than typical BMW problems (read electronics) mine has been good. I have 108k and tow my spec miata a lot.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Show compassion to all.

Thanks for that encouraging feedback.

In terms of the "typical electronics issues", can you be more specific? I've done some initial searching, but not sure where to find a representative list of those "typical" problems. Related to that, are any/all/most/none of these typical issues fixable without engaging a costly dealer repair (I obviously will not have any type of warranty coverage for the mileage and price point I am targeting).

Thanks.

The X535D has been ruled out for now... maybe in the future.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
If chosen, the "new to me" 35D will replace my 2003 Excursion and will be my wife's daily grocery getter and general around town vehicle.

Here are my questions...

1) Has anyone put together a BMW 35D specific guide for inspecting and purchasing higher mileage used vehicles? If so, could someone point me to it?

2) If the answer to Q1 above is "no", would someone be willing to compile such a list of specific things to check for and inspect, and some insights as to what is or is not acceptable?

3) I've read about CBU and DEF and EGR system issues... any updated specific guidance as to these particular issues?

4) Has anyone ever pursued a DEF system delete? If not, why not? If so, order of magnitude cost estimate?

5) I've seen a few casual references to an EGR delete (if I recall correctly)... same questions as in Q4 above.

6) Has anyone done a DIY for CBU cleaning, or is this just not practical?

7) Are there any DIY docs for the ATF and Xfer case fluid change? If so, where?

8) I've read about brake life being around 30-45K miles (30K for rear and 40-45K for fronts). Is that the general experience or just the one guy who posted those numbers? Also, are the BMW brake jobs as easy to do yourself as for most other vehicles (I'm anal about making sure they are done right, and am not willing to pay someone exorbitant fees for doing things I can do myself)?

9) Can someone tell me why I should NOT consider a 2009-2011 35D?

10) For the near 100K mile vehicle option, are there any particular maintenance items which can be verified or need to be done right away if not verified?
I suspect you're looking for an X535d, not a 335d (sedan). Only difference it makes is that it "seems" that there are fewer CBU problems with X5d, it being heavier and having the low-pressure EGR in addition to high-pressure. But it's just speculation, no actual proof.

1) No. I think that there is a general one in the 3-series forum (and perhaps the X5 forum) Electronics issues (radio, CIC, iDrive, etc.) are best dealt with there as everything's the same.
2) probably not
3) No. But general feeling is that one might as well consider the $1200 cost (every 50K? 75K?) as a maintenance item. Also, many people advocate a catch can.
4) Yes. But you need a custom tune to turn off the resulting CEL. That pretty much eliminates taking the car to BMW dealers and many independents for service.
5) It's pretty inexpensive for a block, more for a complete delete, and additional for tune. Again, CEL needs tune.
6) There's a SIB (service bulletin around that describes the procedure.) A bit more than most people care to DIY. You need a couple special tools/wands, and need to R&R the manifold and send it to be soaked clean. I think a couple people have done a DIY.
7) Yes. For 6) and this, I think they're on E90post's diesel subforum. Worth a look over there because there's a lot more info on deletes and tuning and such.
8) Brake life on 335d is around 40K-50K for fronts, much longer (I have 108K on my rears) for rears. They're a slam dunk DIY, parts $250 or so per axle.
9) no.
10) just regular typical BMW 100K stuff - suspension checks, hoses, belts, tensioner pulleys, probably atf and diff(s) because it's likely never been touched.

I personally believe that you should not do all these deletes. There are many that advocate it because of all the troubles with them. Google/search for "ABC Delete", which is what most people are calling the complete set.

Also, you should research OBD II readers for BMWs (Bavarian Technic, Carley, Torque, etc.) as they are pretty much a necessity for a lot of stuff.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Show compassion to all.

Thanks for the additional input.

Unfortunately, my wife and I have just decided during lunch today that we are not going to continue our pursuit of the X535D for the following reasons:

1) The real world potential for getting an abused or poorly maintained vehicle in the 80-100K miles range... I've had my share of vehicle drama over the past several years and want it to start slowing down. Don;t get me wrong, I like working on them, but I'm ready for a little break right now.
2) The X5's I've driven have too firm of shift points and not at what "feels natural" to me in terms of timing of shifts.
3) The suspension is a bit too firm for my wife's taste, and this will primarily be for her anyway.

I do appreciate your time in answering my questions. I did not expect to arrive at this decision the way we did today, and was fully expecting to be making a 3-4 hour road trip tomorrow to go look at a 2010 X535D with 90K miles on it. It's just not the right vehicle for us at this time.

Best to you guys!!

The X535D has been ruled out for now... maybe in the future.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M57
"my wife's daily grocery getter and general around town vehicle"

Most have said this is not the ideal application for this vehicle so you likely made a good decision.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
1. Not specifically, but take a look in E70 DIY thread in sticky section. The common items are documented.

2. On a diesel E70 I would look for leaks, paying special attention to the oil lines around the turbo and the power sterrign pump. I would also test the thermostat. It seems to be an 80k mile or so "soft fail" item. I used soft fail because because you will get low coolant temp (70 to 75C instead of 80-85C I think). Results in DPF regen not happening due to low temp.
I would also look for codes pointing to Nox sensors. Pre cat usually the problem and very expensive.
On any E70 I would check the driveshaft per the BMW SIB. You don't want that one to fail while on the go... Also check front thrust arm and rear suspension airbags if you have third row seats. Both will fail eventually, neither too pricy though.

3. X5 not as prone to CBU as 335d. Quite rare on X5 actually. Hypotheses range from different EGR to heavier car / tow taxing the engine more on X5 than 335d. Also much discussion surrounding sustained highway vs. short in town trips.
All X5s had an EGR recall a long time ago, I'm sure they've all been done.
Active DEF tank will fail due to bad sensor. Again, theories abound regarding DEF crystals causing sensor failure. Some have tried to solder resistors, some subsribe to only filling passive tank with 2.5 gallon jug and letting pump do its work. The latter is what I'm doing.

4. Yes, there are threads from members who have done SCR delete on E70 forum, I believe mostly members north of border have done this. Don't recall DIY on it.

5. Same as above, although more talk than action and DIY.

6. Don't recall seeing on X5, but I think someone here has done it on a 335d. Or maybe it was a YouTube vid.

7. yes, E70 forum. I believe they are referenced in the DIY sticky.

8. Depends on driving style. Mne went 46k or so for fronts, rears are original at 54k currently. There are many vendors who sell kits (ECS, BavAuto, OEMBimmerParts, FCP Euro). My current fave is FCP Euro. Thay have no cost shipping option on everything, and have lifetime replacement on all parts including wear parts. That means you buy one brake kit per axle and that's it for as long as you own the car. Great customer service too.

9. Generally the newer the better bus BMW makes improvements / fixes defects constantly. The 2011 is the first year of LCI so you get less black pastic on bumpers, and more improtantly the newer iDrive stuff. Everything being equal the 2011 would be my choice, but nothing is ever equal with used cars...

10. ATF, Diff, TC fluids but sounds like you;re already on top of that. I would also do fuel filter and belts if age unknown.
Oh, and the spark plugs, don't forget the spark plugs and the blinker fluid. Kidding...

FWIW I have had my 2012 X5d for a little over 3 years and have zero regrets. Bought with 10k mikes, now has 54k miles so it's relatively youthful still. Planning on seven more years, possibly more since I'm not putting as many miles on it as I thought I would. I came from smaller vehicles so it feels gigantic, particularly when looking for street parking in San Francisco. That being said, it's great for weekly trips to Tahoe in the winter, hauling tri gear, friends, dogs, landscaping projects, towing deceased in laws stuff (borderline hoarders) out of their house. You have larger vehicles so you may have a different take on it.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Crap, I just typed lengthy response and saw the update. Oh well, hopefully it helps someone down the line.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Thanks for the additional input.

Unfortunately, my wife and I have just decided during lunch today that we are not going to continue our pursuit of the X535D for the following reasons:

1) The real world potential for getting an abused or poorly maintained vehicle in the 80-100K miles range... I've had my share of vehicle drama over the past several years and want it to start slowing down. Don;t get me wrong, I like working on them, but I'm ready for a little break right now.
2) The X5's I've driven have too firm of shift points and not at what "feels natural" to me in terms of timing of shifts.
3) The suspension is a bit too firm for my wife's taste, and this will primarily be for her anyway.

I do appreciate your time in answering my questions. I did not expect to arrive at this decision the way we did today, and was fully expecting to be making a 3-4 hour road trip tomorrow to go look at a 2010 X535D with 90K miles on it. It's just not the right vehicle for us at this time.

Best to you guys!!
Ya, the six speed doesn't seem well suited. I didn't enjoy driving my 335d around town as much as I did in the mtns or on the highway.

Wait for a used one with the 8speed AT. Much better.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Love this thread!

My wife hasn't driven my 335D in over 6 1/2 years. Too "manly" for her!

Seats are too low, she likes the higher position of an SUV, preferably a Mercedes!

Steering is too hard.

She doesn't like that when I put in reverse the mirrors tilt down automatically to help see the curbs. Maybe it shifts the view of her make up application!

Don't even ask about actually fueling the vehicle!

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265 (100k Club)
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 06-20-2016, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330ci
I got one of the last available CPO 335Ds last year. Luckily! It came up with a multitude of problems but they have all been sorted out under new car warranty. Additionally I got a 2 year extension on maintenance for my troubles.
I cannot urge strongly enough that you try to ge a CPO car or at least one with an extended warranty. Dealers don't ask a lot for the diesels, maybe even less than private sale. I've had mine for a year and it has taken more than $20,000 retail value in repairs.
A quick search at BMWUSA reveals 2 335ds availavable as CPO nationwide. A 2010 Loaded, 60k miles, asking $29K in CA but that price has to come down. A 2011 no NAV comfort access in WA, in service date 7/27/12 (it still has some new warranty) $24.8K, 23K miles.
I would try to make a deal by phone and see how motivated the dealers are.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search