Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Compare your BMW Diesel to another

OK,

After 5 1/2 years with the 335D I can now compare it to the 2014 GL350 BT I've had for almost two (2) years now.

The GL has not had a single issue, zero, nada, lemonada!

Still love my 335D but it has had a number of the emission issues early on. Currently running with one bad glow plug to be remedied shortly.

My MPG has also dropped a bit as late, so I remain very suspicious that I indeed have the CBU, considering how I will resolve this if I don't actually get any SES or other codes thrown. Tempted to try and negotiate with my SA to have them check it out and carry out the SIB regardless, and consider paying some portion perhaps if they don't agree to do it for free. No idea why I think they would do it for free without anything but lower MPG issue.

I'd love to be able to look inside, figure their tech will be able to see if it needs to be cleaned or not and let that be the basis for arguing with them.

Color me Na´ve!

So, is MB better at doing Diesels? A loaded question on this website I know.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Not sure that they are better at diesels, but they have definitely figured out the emissions equipment and urea injection. Considering that E90/E70 diesels were somewhat novel and experimental in North America we need to look at how the newer ones will fare.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
From a keeping out of the shop perspective, the early data seems to say MB is better. From a performance perspective at 3L displacement, BMW has them whipped
Old 03-22-2015, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535D
The UREA. Is the key from my experiences with 2500 diesel trucks. This seems to cut down on the CBU.

I know these new diesels are some what new but MB has been using UREA for the last 7-8 years.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 10-335d/04-SL500/11 TDI
So is this is just a reliability comparison? It's difficult to compare a SUV to a sedan and what one is looking for in a vehicle. You have to compare similar vehicles. It just seems this is basically is turning into another CBU thread.
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
2008 Audi A4
2006 VW GTi

Last edited by dragoncoach; 03-23-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 AM

True enough. However, I drove 4 different diesel trucks through the changeover in diesel fuel, the intro of DPF and the SCR filter systems.
With the DPF filters in the early trucks before UREA these trucks had the CBU problem. I had a 2013 F350 last and I think the problem was significantly less. These trucks were newer and I didn't have it long but you stopped reading about the issues on the forums.

This is just my own experiences. No hard data but when I took my car to local Indy, they also mentioned the CBU issue has lessened.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
A little background on me:

- Live here in Nashville and sell Mack Trucks. So I'm familiar with diesels.
- I started in 2012 right out of college so I'm a young guy. In 2011 almost all of the trucking industry (except International) introduced DEF/SCR
- The second round of emission trucks, 2008-2010, were TERRIBLE. DPF only. Really bruised and battered a lot of OEM's.
- I say all this to say I'm very aware of emission systems and diesels in general.

My dad is a residential contractor so I've grown up in:

2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke
2002 Ford F-250 Powerstroke
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke
2008 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

The 7.3 Powerstroke engine was simply bulletproof. We had absolutely zero problems with the 6.0's. Brings me to a point...forums like this one GENERALLY blow stuff out of proportion. Although, this is the first forum where I've given a little more credibility to the amount of concerns and issues.

I've owned:

-2012 Jetta TDI. Bought it brand new and put 60k on it in 2 years. Never skipped a beat. Zero warranty claims at all.

-2011 BMW 335d. Bought at the auction (I broker cars on the side) in May 2014. Originally bought to sell but I loved it so much I put my car on consignment and when it sold, bought this one and put it in my name.

Here's my overall consensus with the newer diesels trucks and cars. The emission systems are VERY complicated and will always be an issue. I practically beg my customers to purchase extended warranties on the trucks I sell. It's amazing that a tractor trailer emits cleaner air than what came into it. Think about that for a second!

As far as the 335d, I've loved every bit of it. I've had 3 SES lights in 15k miles. Cam shaft sensor at WOT and back to back MAF sensor codes. I've cleared them out or they've gone away on their own. Currently 1500 miles past the last MAF sensor.

The car is an absolutely BLAST to drive. I have EVERY single option on it. However, I put 40k a year on my cars and am at 91k right now. I've seen one at our dealership with as much as 111k on it. I'm thinking I will push it to 130k and will reevaluate.

Anyways, great thread!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM

Alex1118,

Glad you are getting great service from your diesels. You are correct in that the EPA systems are very complicated.

On the other hand they are not the power robbing smog systems in the past. On my F350, there was not a huge difference in exhaust flow with or without DPF in place.

These 535d cars are amazing in their performance and efficiency. With the RC-Ultimate, it is even better. Great cars!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: German
In BMW's defense, the 335d and E70d were BMW's first crack at the US market (in recent times.) Mercedes has been here with diesels for a long long time.

Not to mention, I'm assuming that you have a 2nd gen Mercedes GL BT, so you're comparing a 1st gen SCR system (E90) to a second generation system (GL BT.) A more fair comparison would be to compare your 335d to the last gen GL Bluetec and see how that faired.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
I too am curious to see how 1st gen diesels are fairing outside of the BMW world. I read all sorts of reports of failed SCRs, CBU, and other components related to the emissions equipment with the M57 units...
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 750Li, M Roadster,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
OK,

After 5 1/2 years with the 335D I can now compare it to the 2014 GL350 BT I've had for almost two (2) years now.

The GL has not had a single issue, zero, nada, lemonada!

Still love my 335D but it has had a number of the emission issues early on. Currently running with one bad glow plug to be remedied shortly.

My MPG has also dropped a bit as late, so I remain very suspicious that I indeed have the CBU, considering how I will resolve this if I don't actually get any SES or other codes thrown. Tempted to try and negotiate with my SA to have them check it out and carry out the SIB regardless, and consider paying some portion perhaps if they don't agree to do it for free. No idea why I think they would do it for free without anything but lower MPG issue.

I'd love to be able to look inside, figure their tech will be able to see if it needs to be cleaned or not and let that be the basis for arguing with them.

Color me Na´ve!

So, is MB better at doing Diesels? A loaded question on this website I know.
My friend had an E350 TDI that was trouble free for his 3 year lease, but he replaced it with an A6 TDI, which he says drives much better. I drove the E and found it had nowhere near the "punch" of the 335d. My D has been almost completely trouble free for 4 years, 53+k miles, just one issue with the DEF tank fixed under warranty. My battery is dying now and I have an SES light which, I hope, is related. Am worried about CBU, but the car is running very strongly, idles smoothly and giving normal mileage.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenstermaker1 View Post
The UREA. Is the key from my experiences with 2500 diesel trucks. This seems to cut down on the CBU.

I know these new diesels are some what new but MB has been using UREA for the last 7-8 years.
Fenster,

Can you expand on why you think Urea might have an effect on CBU? Urea is strictly injected at the back end of the exhaust prior to the Cat Converter, so I do not see the relationship with CBU up at the front end on the engine intake.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
So is this is just a reliability comparison? It's difficult to compare a SUV to a sedan and what one is looking for in a vehicle. You have to compare similar vehicles. It just seems this is basically is turning into another CBU thread.
Dragon, I am not at all interested in comparing the sedan with the SUV, merely the power plants and emission controls and the type of issues which may or not commonly occur with them.

I don't have another diesel to really compare the 335D with than the GL, and of course recognize it is 4 years newer than the 335D. Just pointing out that I've had zero issues so far at 20k miles with the MB GL350BT.

I do also have an older Mitsubishi Montero with a 3.0l TDI Manual, but it is in another country and no emissions kit that I'm aware of.

I'd love to see some more comparisons between BMW, Audi and MB diesel tech here in the US, as it would appear we have other issues than what is typically seen in European models. Where's JSpira when you need him???

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 03-28-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by A8540TDI View Post
My friend had an E350 TDI that was trouble free for his 3 year lease, but he replaced it with an A6 TDI, which he says drives much better. I drove the E and found it had nowhere near the "punch" of the 335d. My D has been almost completely trouble free for 4 years, 53+k miles, just one issue with the DEF tank fixed under warranty. My battery is dying now and I have an SES light which, I hope, is related. Am worried about CBU, but the car is running very strongly, idles smoothly and giving normal mileage.
Those v6 diesel engines Mercedes switched to in 2006 (OM642) suck. No other way to put it. They have bad turbo lag, need a balance shaft which then had bad bearings, are impossible to rebuild and didn't even save fuel compared to the proper i6 OM648. Why did they go backwards in names, anyway?

I never had any problems with my venerable 524td and it pulled properly.

Mercedes has better knowledge and better potential in making diesel cruisers - but they choose not to. Overdone cost-saving measures (usually through intended sharing) and that little adventure with Chrysler set them back 1.5 decades.

They are the most American style screwed up management car company there is, and they aren't even American. Maybe they joined with Chrysler to buy that sort of experience.

Also:
http://www.amazon.com/Car-Guys-vs-Be...+bean+counters
Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
New to board, but not to BMWs and not to diesels

first diesel was 2006 Jetta TDI, not a problem for 120000 miles. Slow. Futzy. Clogged the fuel filter twice with bad diesel (kids would buy from a downtown BP station).

Latest was 2009 ML320 BT, ran for 50000 miles last 3 yrs, initially a few CELs under end of factory warranty, then no problems. I self service with oil changes, etc., as cheaper and easier than going to the dealership and blowing at least a half day. Had one non-start on a cold cold Wisconsin -15 morning. Looked into block heater but was repulsed by 1000+$ cost with install. Overall 24 mpg with many towing miles (encl snowmobile trailers, jetskis, large boat). Factory MPG computer lies. Towed 29' cigarette boat, barely knew it. Not even downshifts on interstate! Also had the runflats, ran a set of Bridgestones 45K miles, had one flat from FOD. Sold when developed dread oil cooler leak. Overall a great distance hauler, nice looking, solid but staid interior.

Just bought 2012 X5 xdrive35d, less than 1000 miles so far, so first impressions only. Much more responsive to throttle, revs a lot more happily. Sounds gruntier. Missing the extra gear a little. Haven't towed yet, but fuel economy seems about the same. Overall the X5 is much taughter, better driving, still figuring out the idrive stuff. Yes, 3 years newer, so interior has newer perks. Seats are much more supportive, stereo is nice but I am missing the SD card input slot the MB had(podcast listening for commutes).

I will update.
'04 330iC
'99 M Coupe
'92 750iL
'92 525i
'84 318i (RIP)
Old 04-03-2015, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Fenster,

Can you expand on why you think Urea might have an effect on CBU? Urea is strictly injected at the back end of the exhaust prior to the Cat Converter, so I do not see the relationship with CBU up at the front end on the engine intake.

I think having urea injection would help. There is no direct benefit it is more of an indirect benefit. Having urea injection allows for a leaner mixture and higher compression ratio, both of which help in having better and more complete combustion which leads to less soot. The side effect of that is it also is more conducive to producing NOx emissions as the combustion is so efficient it also basically burns nitrogen from air producing NOx, hence the need for Urea injection to tame the NOx.

I'd theorize that this is the heart of the problem Mazda is having with introduction of the Mazda 6 diesel in the US without urea injection. They are probably having to run more fuel rich to keep the temperature down leading to more soot along with reduced efficiency and performance.

VW diesels have finally all converted to urea and as a result have shown roughly a 10% increase in efficiency.

Last edited by glangford; 04-03-2015 at 02:50 AM.