Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: X3 F25 MODEL
Filled petrol instead of diesel in my x3 model f25.

Yes a very stupid thing to do but i did it. Gave it to service center. Spent almost 1300euro but i feel vibration (which was not there before) and the sound of engine is unbearable. Never used to feel before that i was driving a diesel car but now it is sounding like a truck. May be not good service ?
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Sorry to hear it. I'm guessing that would cause a lot of issues they might not be able to fix. Do the European models have the safety feature where the larger (in US) diesel pump nosel will push on the tabs in the filler neck allowing the fuel in, where the smaller gas nosel will not? I always get diesel at a different station than the one I use for gasoline. Kind of a Pavlovian thing. I pull in at that station and I go to the diesel pump without thinking about it. Good luck with this issue. N4S
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Sorry to hear about your predicament. I've moved your thread to the BMW diesel owners forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
I'm guessing that one of the injectors is trashed.

The usual failure is that the high pressure fuel pump fails, putting metal fragments into the fuel rail that then plug the injectors, etc. Did they dissasemble the fuel rail and clean it? Did they replace the pump?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
If you did not start it - it could be drained and refilled with diesel and good to go.

If it was started the procedure is to replace all fuel components - the high pressure pump is easily damaged by petrol and then (metal particles) contaminate the rest of the system.

What did they do the the 1300 euros?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I was a very luck b$stard in this regard. Like N4S says stay with a by heart process. I go to same place every time for diesel. I buy gasoline elsewhere for the truck and other cars. In my story below, I just so happened to be at station where i buy gasoline for other cars. This was likely a strong factor.

I was in a hurry to get 300 mile trip started and went to different place right buy freeway. I did the unthinkable and put the gasoline nozzle in the hole but it wouldn't go in. I must be tired and hard headed so I get the adapter thing some of us were given with our cars and put into the filler hole and then in goes the gasoline nozzle. The only saving grace was i kept pushing the green button for diesel and pump would never activate. It then hits me after a couple button pushes that the nozzle is black not green. TALK ABOUT PANIC AND RELIEF ALL AT THE SAME TIME. This was an extreme brain fart.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I was a very luck b$stard in this regard. Like N4S says stay with a by heart process. I go to same place every time for diesel. I buy gasoline elsewhere for the truck and other cars. In my story below, I just so happened to be at station where i buy gasoline for other cars. This was likely a strong factor.

I was in a hurry to get 300 mile trip started and went to different place right buy freeway. I did the unthinkable and put the gasoline nozzle in the hole but it wouldn't go in. I must be tired and hard headed so I get the adapter thing some of us were given with our cars and put into the filler hole and then in goes the gasoline nozzle. The only saving grace was i kept pushing the green button for diesel and pump would never activate. It then hits me after a couple button pushes that the nozzle is black not green. TALK ABOUT PANIC AND RELIEF ALL AT THE SAME TIME. This was an extreme brain fart.
@BB_cuda, THIS IS CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT: THERE IS NO STANDARD COLOR FOR PUMP HANDLES IN THE US!!!!!

Whether the pump handle is green, black, yellow, pink or polka-dot DESIGNATES NO DIFFERENCE WHATEVER in what the pump actually dispenses. DO NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES choose your pump based upon the pump handle!

Because there is no mandated standard color for pump handles, the color is purely at the whim of the station guy who installs them. And while most of those guys use different colors on different fuel dispensers, which color they use for which pumps is more a product of how many handles and pumps they have to deal with.

The only way to insure that you got the right pump is to read the flipping sign.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM

@LAPOGA, ouch, sorry to hear of your problem.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 10-335d/04-SL500/11 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
@BB_cuda, THIS IS CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT: THERE IS NO STANDARD COLOR FOR PUMP HANDLES IN THE US!!!!!

Whether the pump handle is green, black, yellow, pink or polka-dot DESIGNATES NO DIFFERENCE WHATEVER in what the pump actually dispenses. DO NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES choose your pump based upon the pump handle!

Because there is no mandated standard color for pump handles, the color is purely at the whim of the station guy who installs them. And while most of those guys use different colors on different fuel dispensers, which color they use for which pumps is more a product of how many handles and pumps they have to deal with.

The only way to insure that you got the right pump is to read the flipping sign.

No need to put the OP down. We ALL make mistakes. In California, I've never seen a diesel pump with any other color handle than green. Not sure why, but I, and probably most other diesel owners, associate a green handle pump as being diesel.

I think the worse thing that happened was he started up and drove the car, introducing gasoline into the fuel system. I would think a big time bill for flushing the fuel system is coming.
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
2008 Audi A4
2006 VW GTi
Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Don't know where you got the idea I intended to put the OP down, since this post wasn't even addressed to him, but rather a later poster. In any case, I was merely emphasizing a critical point, which none the less escaped you. Please be aware that your personal experience does not define the entire universe. If you insist on acting as though it does, the universe is going to bite you on the butt eventually. But feel free to carry on, whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Don't think anyone was trying to put anyone else down here either. To expand on the point, not only should you not depend on the color of the fuel nozzles (as pointed out, they are not a standardized color and vary by fueling station and region), you shouldn't depend on habit.

Depending on habit in your fueling has the potential for failure when something shakes up your routine. The only habit I depend on is to not depend on habit. When I fuel either of our Bimmers (one gas, one diesel), I consciously look at the fuel filler ('diesel' sticker present or not and, of course, note which vehicle it is), consciously look at the pump button I'm selecting (gas or diesel), check that the nozzle hose I've selected actually goes to the diesel area of the pump (nozzles can be misplaced in the holders) and, when the fuel starts flowing, confirm that the meter I want is displaying fuel flow (gas or diesel).

Yes, I can be accused of being anal in this regard, but for decades prior to owning a diesel my fueling habits were casual - after all, the worst that could happen was fueling a vehicle with regular that needs premium. By comparison, fueling a diesel with gas can be a very expensive mistake, just ask the OP.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Reading this thread made me wonder about what measures are in place to prevent the tankers from resupplying stations with incorrect fuel?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Of course you need to look at the pump you are using. I'm just saying one piece of the puzzle is the routine. I haven't put a gas pump nosel in the diesel filler neck (yet) but I have twice gone to stations that put the gas size nosel on the diesel hose. it was too small and wouldn't push the tabs in the filler neck. N4S
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frediesel View Post
Reading this thread made me wonder about what measures are in place to prevent the tankers from resupplying stations with incorrect fuel?
It all relies on the tanker driver connecting the tank on the tanker to the correct station filling connection. If the driver makes a mistake, the station has the wrong fuel in the tank and the wrong fuel will be pumped. Searching on this subject quickly finds stories of station mis-filling incidents.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 10-335d/04-SL500/11 TDI
Probably not trying to put the OP down,but my interpretation of "read the frickin sign" means "hey, don't be so stupid".
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
2008 Audi A4
2006 VW GTi

Last edited by dragoncoach; 01-28-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Hi guys,
Yeah I wasn't the OP but no offense was taken. I'm glad he told me the pump handles can be any color. The color green of the button was really what saved my a$$. Again, i know read the buttons, don't just look at the colors. I go almost exclusively to these 2 stations. One for gasoline and the other for diesel. Point of my story was i was in a hurry and my lesson learned is NOT TO BE IN A HURRY.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I would tend to agree that a green handle is for diesel. Realize it may not be universal, but appears it may be typical. I haven't researched it that much.

I generally only fill up at two stations and the diesel is actually dispensed at separate pumps from the gas, so pretty hard to make a mistake.

Besides, there is usually a bit of an oil spill mess near the diesel pumps so if I don't see a mess, I get a bit curious.

Did a google image search and green appears to be the color of choice to designate diesel, but not always the case. Could be yellow, black, red, etc... Definitely not a guarantee.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dies...ll+gas+station

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 01-28-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
In my neck of the woods they will sometimes use the gasoline size nozzles at the diesel pumps.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I would tend to agree that a green handle is for diesel. Realize it may not be universal, but appears it may be typical. I haven't researched it that much.

I generally only fill up at two stations and the diesel is actually dispensed at separate pumps from the gas, so pretty hard to make a mistake.

Besides, there is usually a bit of an oil spill mess near the diesel pumps so if I don't see a mess, I get a bit curious.
Did a google image search and green appears to be the color of choice to designate diesel, but not always the case. Could be yellow, black, red, etc... Definitely not a guarantee.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dies...ll+gas+station
Truth
Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: Citroen DS-21
Chevron has a big "green" theme going thus their gas prices on the sign are GREEN and the gas pump handle is GREEN too. Diesel is black. Very confusing. I almost filled up with gas -- of course I had selected diesel and so nothing would come out, and the 335d interlock would not allow me to insert the nozzle all the way. Still, what a close call.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM

Having bought diesel in 39 of the contiguous 48 states in the last 6 or 7 years, I have seen diesel pump handles in green, black, orange, yellow, and maybe other colors. I have seen diesel nozzles from the Great Big Giant high-flow truck size to RUG size to the even smaller kerosene size.

One other thing I have seen is that getting a tankful of gasoline in your VW, Mercedes, BMW, Cummins, Duramax, Audi, or Caterpillar is guaranteed to ruin your whole day. Doing so because you were in a hurry, or are distracted by a phone call from the wife, mistress, kid, boss, etc. makes it doubly so.

One thing I have NEVER seen is someone who wouldn't benefit from an occasional "don't do something stupid." Self included.