Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Er...lots of used 328d's near me. Wassup?

Just for kicks I decided to gauge demand for the 328d by trolling Autotrader within 25 miles of my zip code for used ones. I live in a major metro area with five or so BMW dealerships within that radius. For comparative purposes is also trolled for used Jetta TDI's. Both had to be 2014 model year vehicles and both had to have less than 10,000 miles. Surprisingly and for reasons I cannot suppose there are 11 2014 328d's available with mileage varying from a low of 3,286 to a high of 6,339 but only 7 of any kind of Jetta TDI's. The highest price for one of the 328d's was $37k and change.

Since I have yet to see a 328d in the wild (I still see a fair number of 335d's rolling away from everyone else) and there are a fair number of new 328d's on my local lot, I'd surmise that they are not selling like hotcakes and of those sold, a reasonable number are coming back as trades. It could be of course that these 11 used 2014 328d's are fleet, loaner, or other dealer-derived vehicles, but it still seems to me that this represents a problem for the BMW diesel program. I'm NOT ripping on anyone who bought a 328d - many of you who own them love them dearly. But if I were to buy one and then have to unload it, I'd want there to be a high demand for it from others, and I'm not seeing that here in SoCal. I sold one 335d (a 2010) after I bought another (a 2011) and while it did take me some time to find a private party buyer, I had a tremendous amount of dealer interest and the private party to dealer differential was generous. In short, plenty of demand.
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Not surprised really. The F30 is a true "softening" of the brand and the price point is a little off for the HP. Probably fleet vehicles or dealers just dumping them on used market to clear the floor

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 04-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
If I read the OP's point correctly, why are there so many "pre-owned" 328d vehicles out there already?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Michelin PSS tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive
You can tell if the previous owner was a dealer by viewing the Carfax report option on Autotrader, which will include ownership history. For example, the 2014 328d at BMW of El Cajon was, indeed, the first and prior owner.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328d,'09 VW TDI wagon
I just did a quick review of 328d's on Autotrader for the San Diego area and most all are new cars being advertised by the dealers. That's nothing new for Autorader. Dealers usually advertise their new stock on Autotrader. I may have missed it, but I didn't see a single used 328d being advertised by a private owner. That said there are plenty of new 328d's on dealer lots - - just as there are new 335i's, and now even a growing number of new 4 seres sitting around. There are plenty of incoming, too. My son just plopped down an order for a new 328d up in L.A., a very competitive market. The dealers are ready to discount up there, but so are they on 335i's, 4 series, and even the M235.

Last edited by m6pwr; 04-19-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
I just did a search for the Toronto area and 33 used 328d vehicles showed up. 32 from BMW dealers and the lone one was an indy dealer with this caption:

Quote:
2014 BMW 328d DIESEL/ M-SPORT/ NAVIGATION/ DRIVER ASSISTANCE PKG
*** ACCIDENT FREE, ONE OWNER DIRECTLY FROM BMW FINANCIAL, BUMPER TO BUMPER FACTORY WARRANTY 4 YEA...
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
I just did a quick review of 328d's on Autotrader for the San Diego area and most all are new cars being advertised by the dealers. That's nothing new for Autorader. Dealers usually advertise their new stock on Autotrader. I may have missed it, but I didn't see a single used 328d being advertised by a private owner. That said there are plenty of new 328d's on dealer lots - - just as there are new 335i's, and now even a growing number of new 4 seres sitting around. There are plenty of incoming, too. My son just plopped down an order for a new 328d up in L.A., a very competitive market. The dealers are ready to discount up there, but so are they on 335i's, 4 series, and even the M235.
But isnt that "highest price" of $37K a bit low for a dealer car? Doesnt sound good to me. I'm still pissed at BMW's "giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other" attitude towards the 335d, so I am not too unhappy with any poor sales performance of the 328d. Yeah, I am a sore loser, but that is a bad reflection on me, not on the 328d.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Yup. I keep praying that the 225d will hit our shores. Like praying for the Brewers to win the World Series but.....

All the local used 328d models on Autotrader to which I originally alluded are indeed probably dealer vehicles - all had between 3k and 6k miles - and I did not check Carfax to see (thanks to the poster who pointed that out). But I never saw that number of 335d's used so BMW must have bet big on the 328d which still seems like a headscratcher to me. What attracted me to the 335d was a combination of power and efficiency that was at that time unrivaled and may still be. The metrics for the 328d seem close to the Jetta TDI and yet the 328d is 20-30k more. Sure, it is a BMW, but if I dropped 50k on a moderately equipped new 328d and then found 11 similar cars with 3-6k miles on them for 10-15k less, that would worry me.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328d,'09 VW TDI wagon
Well, if I understand what you're saying - - I think the main reason BMW NA brought the 328d here is to increase their Corporate Average Fuel Economy. As good as the 335d is (and I know, I owned one) its fuel economy is not that great - - at least not when compared to the 328d. BMW NA doesn't really give the 328d much love (or advertising coverage), and the motoring press for the most part have given the 328d middling reviews here in the US, tho at the same time the European press has given rave reviews to the 328d (320d in Europe). Different values and perspectives I guess (definitely different gas prices). If, and this is a big if, the sales are slow on 328d's I'm not too surprised. Most people don't think of diesels when they think of BMW's. In fact, most Americans don't think of diesel passenger cars at all when making a buying decision. That is changing slowly.

As for the Autotrader ads, there were many 328d's priced well above $37k, depending on options and 'lines" (M Sport, etc.). Tony mentioned a Jetta TDI. I have one, a 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen. It's a great car, but I could tell the difference between it and the 328d as soon as I drove the BMW, and I had no problem at at all paying $20k more because the BMW is a much better car.

PS: I might add that before my son opted for the 328d, he started out looking at VW diesels. Nice but no comparison.

Last edited by m6pwr; 04-19-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM

328d seems much more likely to be a dealer loaner vehicle or other dealer fleet than a 335d would have been so I don't think comparing the number of fleet vehicles is a good comparison.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 Diesel SportLine
When i picked up my two f31 d's Friday i asked my CA how they were selling. He said has had mixed results. There have been people like me who love them and seek them out and they usually get one. But trying to sell them to someone who just walks onto the lot is hard. Most people don't like the sound of diesel engines or have horrible thoughts about diesels in their mind. He said most people to whom he suggests they test drive one because they have long commutes/would benifit from a diesel won't even touch them with a ten foot pole.

And he said most people who want the d's want them custom ordered to specs that would normally not sell on the lot or ED so he can't sell the ones on the lot very well. I think they might have to adjust the options they load them with then they order them for the lot. Diesel drivers just want different options than the standard fair.

He also said though that so far they have leased or sold over a dozen to dealership employees. Apparently themore you are around them the more aattractive they become.

Lastly, the n47 engined cars are the bread and butter of BMW in Europe. So they are not a bad car. BMW NA just does not know how to sell them.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
I bought the first one in my area last oct. the dealer had three. They didn't seem to sell for a long time. They are gone now. I finally saw one the other day. All the dealer spec cars, mine included were no line, tech package, heated seats, moonroof, drivers assist, and concierge services.

I test drove several VW TDIs. Golf, wagen jetta sedan. They are good cars in their own right, but they don't compare to the 328d.

Now my dealer tells me they've gotten a lot of interest from prospective buyers of the coming x3 diesel, myself included.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There has been a lot of interest in the X3 diesel for years but BMW won't sell them here -- they keep promising "next year" but it never seems to be "next year". Maybe this year will really be "next year"?
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
There has been a lot of interest in the X3 diesel for years but BMW won't sell them here -- they keep promising "next year" but it never seems to be "next year". Maybe this year will really be "next year"?

? You can build one now on Www.bmwusa.com.

Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Michelin PSS tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I bought the first one in my area last oct. the dealer had three. They didn't seem to sell for a long time. They are gone now. I finally saw one the other day. All the dealer spec cars, mine included were no line, tech package, heated seats, moonroof, drivers assist, and concierge services.

I test drove several VW TDIs. Golf, wagen jetta sedan. They are good cars in their own right, but they don't compare to the 328d.

Now my dealer tells me they've gotten a lot of interest from prospective buyers of the coming x3 diesel, myself included.
Nor should they. After all there is a 20k price difference between them.
Isn't the TDI Passat more comparable?
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi / 4 Runner
With the 2014 no longer needing premium fuel, and getting within 10 mtg, does a diesel make since from an economical sense. We wer
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomv View Post
With the 2014 no longer needing premium fuel, and getting within 10 mtg, does a diesel make since from an economical sense. We wer
English is not my first language but no comprendo here.