Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Which 335d issue should I take on first?

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum but I have been reading a lot of old posts on here to get a better understanding on my car (thanks for all the past info you all have contributed).

I recently sold a 2004 330xi and bought a 2011 335d (90k miles). It's a beautiful car to drive but unfortunately I had a Service Engine Soon light come on within the first week of getting the car.

When I had the car read at AutoZone the code came up: P02CC Cylinder 1 fuel injector offset learning at min limit.

In Central Wisconsin it took me awhile to find a mechanic who had any experience with this kind of car--I ended up going to Green Bay.

The mechanic has found three potential problems and I'm hoping you can help me figure out which should be addressed soon and if any of these could be caused by something else?

1. Cylinder 1 fuel injector was confirmed to not be working correctly. He did additional tests and feels confident that it needs to be replaced. Likely $800 (ill get a firmer number tomorrow).
(4AD6 Zero-quantity adaptation, injector, cylinder 1)

2. I had him check for Carbon (CBU) and of course he found it. He said this is likely causing another code on cylinder 6: 4595 Smooth running controller, cylinder 6. $900 for CBU without any new parts so just cleaning with walnut shell blasting.

3. 4D16 SCR system, efficiency . He is going to run a further test on this tomorrow. He is still investigating this issue but said the part could be quite expensive.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Stephen
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Here is a picture of one of the cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	120
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	565546  
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
1. Cylinder 1 fuel injector was confirmed to not be working correctly. He did additional tests and feels confident that it needs to be replaced. Likely $800 (ill get a firmer number tomorrow).
(4AD6 Zero-quantity adaptation, injector, cylinder 1)

2. I had him check for Carbon (CBU) and of course he found it. He said this is likely causing another code on cylinder 6: 4595 Smooth running controller, cylinder 6. $900 for CBU without any new parts so just cleaning with walnut shell blasting.

3. 4D16 SCR system, efficiency . He is going to run a further test on this tomorrow. He is still investigating this issue but said the part could be quite expensive.
Do the CBU cleanup first. It's possibly causing the injector code.

The 4D16 can be quite expensive to fix - if you look around you'll see that I recently spent a bunch getting mine fixed. It has no effect on the motor, so leave it for a while. The fault tree for fixing the problem is complicated: it starts with checking the DEF mixer (injector) operation, then goes to the NOx sensors (which is what the DDE is looking at to throw the code), then goes very deep. My problem was actually the thermostat not keeping the engine hot enough, but it could also be one of numerous sensors and pumps in the DEF tank (part is $800 - individual parts can't be replaced!) or the SCR Catalyst ($1200).

I had an '01 330xi; kind of miss it. Great car in the snow, but snow tires on the 335d make it adequate.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think $900 is a fair price for CBU?
That's including cleaning but not replacing the manifold. I have found a mechanic near Madison WI who said he does it for $600 but he is booked out a month. I'm sure $900 is cheaper then a dealer but its hard to find people who have done this a diesel.

Thanks for the advice about the 4D16. Does this issue cause any longer term damage if not addressed? I will look for your posts to further understand this issue.

I miss the 330xi a bit too--it was a fancy car, at the time, for me and a little hard to find a mechanic I trusted with it but in retrospect it seems easy now lol.

Thanks again.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Hi ya neighbor. Who are the mechanics, in Green Bay and near Madison, with whom you are dealing? PM if you wish.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:26 AM

Your in a pretty part of the state. Who do you go for to get service. Have you had anyone do a Carbon clean out?

The one in Green Bay is Dell's Service Center. The one in Madison is something like De Mechanic (European guy). I'm only in the start of working with Dells so let's stay in touch and I'll let you know how things go for me.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you think $900 is a fair price for CBU?
That's including cleaning but not replacing the manifold. I have found a mechanic near Madison WI who said he does it for $600 but he is booked out a month. I'm sure $900 is cheaper then a dealer but its hard to find people who have done this a diesel.

Thanks for the advice about the 4D16. Does this issue cause any longer term damage if not addressed? I will look for your posts to further understand this issue.
$900 is a fair price; I think most dealerships and independents are around $1200.
The manifold isn't replaced: it's removed and sent for chemical soak to remove the buildup. The process is different and quite a bit harder than for gas engine cars, as the manifold has the swirl valves in one runner. You should definitely have the manifold sent out.

4d16 is way back in the exhaust stream and has no effect on the motor. I suppose it's possible that the DDE might increase EGR utilization, but that would be it.

Quite a lot of posts on the e90post diesel subforum about all these issues, btw.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Nuclear engineer

Yeah. Dell's will be my go-to indie.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I decided to go ahead with the CBU and hope that resolves the injector errors.

The SCR diagnostics have led to this conclusion--I told them to spend a bit more time on it but that it's more of a future project.

"There is not enough Urea fluid getting to the DPF filter. Possible clogged issues. More tests would need to be done to pin point the failure. Possible causes - plugged Urea injector, plugged tank and or lines, electronic control problem. "

Doug, I have been happy with the diagnostic work they have done. Glad to hear they are on your go to list too.

Do you folks think there is anything else I should have them address while doing the CBU?

I may look into getting a new fuel filter installed, since I don't know how old the current one is. About how much does a fuel filter install typical cost?

Last edited by StephenH; 06-02-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
As I recall, updating the firmware of the DDE occurred several times for model year 2011. If your car has an early for 2011 build date, this is certainly true. Many of the posts that had fuel injectors replaced showed that the "problem" didn't go away (some had all injectors replaced twice!) until the DDE was updated.

PL
Old 06-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
DEF is injected at the outlet of the DPF. It has nothing to do with the filter within DPF. Urea reacts with exhaust gas high temp to convert over to ammonia and the exhaust /ammonia combo reacts in the SCR downstream of the DPF. This is where NOX conversion to water and nitrogen happens. Agree with Pierre on the DDE code update. That CBU picture looks pretty bad. Hopefully, the cleaning will sort of most of your issues. Some here have cleaned out urea tank with distilled water and then drained/refilled with new urea. I'm unsure how the feed line from tank to metering valve (that's the injector) is purged of old urea when this is done. Best if person with actual experience chimes in on this. Good luck sorting this out and also welcome to our sub forum.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Nuclear engineer

Evacuating
After turning off the engine, the reversing valve switches to reverse the delivery direction of the pump, thus evacuating the metering line and metering module.
Evacuation also takes place if the system has to be shut down due to a fault or if the minimum temperature in the active reservoir can no longer be maintained.
This is necessary to ensure no urea-water solution remains in the metering line or metering module as it can freeze.
The metering valve is opened during evacuation.

That the metering valve is open is to provide a vent path from the nozzle, through the delivery pipe, through the reversing valve, pump and to the tank.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-03-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Evacuating
After turning off the engine, the reversing valve switches to reverse the delivery direction of the pump, thus evacuating the metering line and metering module.
Evacuation also takes place if the system has to be shut down due to a fault or if the minimum temperature in the active reservoir can no longer be maintained.
This is necessary to ensure no urea-water solution remains in the metering line or metering module as it can freeze.
The metering valve is opened during evacuation.
So this explains that whirring noise I hear after every shutdown. I assumed that it was related to the SCR system but guessed that it might have been pumping from passive to active tank. Makes perfect sense that the line needs to be evacuated every time if freezing is a potential problem. I guess freezing is not a problem for the tanks themselves.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
... I guess freezing is not a problem for the tanks themselves.
The active tank is heated.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted View Post
So this explains that whirring noise I hear after every shutdown. I assumed that it was related to the SCR system but guessed that it might have been pumping from passive to active tank. Makes perfect sense that the line needs to be evacuated every time if freezing is a potential problem. I guess freezing is not a problem for the tanks themselves.
That is correct. The active tank heats a volume sufficient to provide DEF until the passive tank is thawed by the adjacent exhaust system.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 AM
hang up and drive!

And if the heater goes you have to replace the entire tank and pump assembly. Happened to me under warranty. Who needs heat in So. Fla.?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265 (100k Club)
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

I vacation in Floriduh to miss the mud-season here. We stay on the Withlacoochee State Trail, Floral City, Inverness, Arlington, to get in early bicycle riding.

Next year I'm getting a fishing license and bringing my rods too.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:43 AM

To update folks:

The mechanic still hasn't gotten to the bottom of the problem--though I'm he has been very gracious about the situation. It seems i've got a bit of a puzzler here.

So far:
Did the CBU clean up.
replaced Injector 1
Both resolved and didn't resolve the problems with the exhaust.

Currently, the original injector code still keeps coming back but I don't think that's the issue. The mechanic has brought in some tech support to oversee some of these tests.
The issue with the exhaust is still coming up--which is where I think the issue is.

Based on the conversations I had yesterday he said a sensor they had recently changed in the exhaust had melted--something is wrong there... And he ran a pressure test (I believe it was) and the numbers were about 10 times off. He thinks this pressure issue in the exhaust is also causing the injector code. So today they are going to take apart the exhaust and try to see where the issue is.
He said the software on the exhaust was updated but he thinks maybe too late and as a result the car has some build up or blockage that has worsened over time.

I will continue to update this so future readers have some (hopefully) completed info.

Please feel free to give me any input you see?

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Not going to reread the thread but if you think the DPF has a high level of restriction, be cautious. There are two flexible hoses that hook the metal tubes on the DPF. They lead to a differential pressure sensor. If too much restriction happens across DPF, the high pressure side hose can get blown off. Hot gases can then come out and melt whatever is in their path. Please make sure that the 2 black hoses are good and plugged onto the metal hoses coming off DPF. You will need the engine cover off, the airbox out and its still difficult to reach but you can get to it, trust me.

Here is a helpful picture with arrows pointing to what I'm talking about. If hoses are on, great but wanted you to be aware of this. Another guy burnt up a $300 harness and had to wait several weeks for another to come from Germany.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	help_with_DPF_tubes.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	567455  
Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks BB Cuda,
The picture was helpful too.. I mentioned the caution to my mechanic. I know floydarogers had given some advise earlier about the exhaust system so I'm going to track down some more posts about his issue and see what i can learn.
Certainly learning more then I thought I would (any wanted too lol).

Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Regarding the injector codes coming back, now that CBU is cleaned up you need to have all the adaptations for the injectors cleared. In order to do that you either need to take the car to BMW, or your indy needs to have THE LATEST copy of ISTA-P (or ediabas, or equivalent) files for the e90 and know how to use it. You cannot clear all of the adaptations using a standard scanner.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:40 AM

I think this issue is coming from the DPF (diesel particulate filter)...
The mechanic feels pretty confident that's the source of the problem. It could be causing the injector code because of the back pressure. He has taken apart the exhaust and found the back pressure was 10x more then it should be. He also found that this caused one of the sensors to melt. I need to get some more details from him so i can explain this better.
If this is the source I'm trying to figure out the best solution... I read a couple back posts on the issue and Im going to do more reading this weekend. Right now these are my questions, let me know if you have any thoughts:

1. Could anything else be causing this back pressure issue?
2. Can the DPF be cleaned?
3. How hard would it be to find a used DPF?
Old 06-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Quote:
I think this issue is coming from the DPF (diesel particulate filter)...
The mechanic feels pretty confident that's the source of the problem. It could be causing the injector code because of the back pressure. He has taken apart the exhaust and found the back pressure was 10x more then it should be. He also found that this caused one of the sensors to melt. I need to get some more details from him so i can explain this better.
If this is the source I'm trying to figure out the best solution... I read a couple back posts on the issue and Im going to do more reading this weekend. Right now these are my questions, let me know if you have any thoughts:

1. Could anything else be causing this back pressure issue?
2. Can the DPF be cleaned?
3. How hard would it be to find a used DPF?
Regarding the injector - reprogramming is needed vi ISTA. There is a service bulltin about this. Most likely you did not need a new injector.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
You are choosing to ignore some good advise here. DPF has nothing to do with injector zero-mass adaptation faults.
When these set as a result of CBU then the crankshaft incremental wheel adaptation must be reset (may require updated DDE software to support this function) and the injector zero-mass adaptations themselves cleared.
DPF has no influence and if a sensor was melted or back pressure too high - esp. 10x there would be other faults present.
I don't think the indy has a clue....IMO. Tough enough for the dealers at times.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the great replies. From the early advice I got from everyone here I did expressly ask the mechanic to check the software. With the extra details you're giving me ill ask him again to be sure it was done right.
He has brought in additional technical assistance and they have overseen some of these tests and I would hope made sure the software was up to date etc.

That being said, do you think the injector is causing my DPF issue? Or the DPF causing the injector issue? Or are these two most likely unrelated issues?

I'm going to ask what the specific codes are related to the DPF issue tomorrow. I'm also hoping to clarify that the thermostat isn't part of the issue (that seems to be the main issue that people are talking about related to the DPF)?
Is there anything else I should be asking about related to the DPF issue that seems to be the main focus right now?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search