Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d xdrive
Does this sound like diesel related issue?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be much appreciated....
Bringing the question over to a diesel specific forum.

2009 X5 35d xdrive with 53k miles. Out of warranty.

Recently purchased and drove very well for a week or so, no apparent issues, then limp mode out of the blue.
I read OBD codes with my reader, cleared, but limp mode came back.
Thinking I was over my head with BMW codes, I went to a local indy shop I trust.
He read the codes, cleared them, had me drive and come back (after a few minutes) when limp mode came back so he could read them again.

CF37 Message from CAS on K Bus incorrect
433A Charge Air Pressure
4862 Air-System Air to EGR Mass Flow Plausibility
4C893H 19587 - Undocumented
3FFO Air Mass Flow Sensor
48DCH/18652 Undocumented
3F25 Charge Air Tube Monitoring

Mechanic said that he couldn't say what it was at this point and needed to look at the vehicle and do a hard diagnosis and check a few components to see if he can determine what is throwing the codes. Appointment next week and in the meantime I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

According to dealership records, it has had fuel filter heater and air temp sensor replaced at 25k,
replaced metering valve and diffuser at 28k,
replaced up and downstream NOX sensors at 29k,
replaced SRC active tank, SRC catalytic convertor and ERG valve at 36k,
replaced battery at 38k.

No active recall campaigns. I've searched so many forums and the web...can't find that much info.
Any insight would be appreciated!!!!!

Mahalo!
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335D
CBU? Sounds like the EGR needs a cleaning at the minimum
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Just thinking out loud here, but I'd check for possible CBU, Carbon Build Up in the intake manifold. You did not mention any affect on MPG recently.

Otherwise it may be one of the ECUs that may be acting up. I would have no idea.

Few Indys really know much about the Diesels. And in Maui, forget about it!

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM

EGR valve replaced 18k miles ago- how often do they get gunked up?

The treads about CBU and the walnut exfoliating make me nervous. Bavarian auto sports has a cool video about the process.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/bmw-di...-walnut-blast/

Concerned neither the dealership or my local guys will have the port adapter/etc.

Last edited by Owendanger; 01-16-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Charge air faults and low air flow - check the pipe and connections from the turbo to the intercooler and to the intake. Perhaps a clamp came loose.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:09 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owendanger View Post
EGR valve replaced 18k miles ago- how often do they get gunked up?

The treads about CBU and the walnut exfoliating make me nervous. Bavarian auto sports has a cool video about the process.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/bmw-di...-walnut-blast/

Concerned neither the dealership or my local guys will have the port adapter/etc.
Owen, how much driving do you really do on Maui? Is a diesel worthwhile for your type of driving? Just asking because unless you do a lot of miles, and highway miles at that, the diesel may not be the best economical solution.

In fact as much as love my diesels, I doubt I could make a strong economical case for them here in USA unless you are traveling salesman that drives 20-25k miles a year.

Just my 2 cents. I had a car in a foreign country where they had no representation, parts or service and I won't do that again. I had to bring in all my own parts and then find a mechanic that could service the car. The car was a Dodge Intrepid of all things. A very common car in the US in the 90's, but not where I was.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the insight- maybe 15k miles a year, certainly not all 'highway' ( I wouldn't say we have one!). I do drive from one side of the island to the 'Utta side' often. Something to consider, however. I sure do like the diesel sound, but hardly a reason to stay with a diesel.

Now I have to poke around to find the turbo and intercooler for any possible leak- if only it would be that easy!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
My guess is CBU
Old 01-21-2015, 09:32 PM

Well, keeping fingers crossed, but local shop spent a couple hours checking it out and found the "charge pipe to the throttle partially disconnected". That wasn't it as the Limpy Mode still prevails. "The Mass Airflow KG/H reading is erratic and drops off the same time the reduced power is felt." Throwing a new Bosch MAF sensor at it and hope that we are back and running...
Staying positive.

I read a lot more about the guys with the 335d writing more about CBU issues than with the x35d- any speculation as to why?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owendanger View Post
Well, keeping fingers crossed, but local shop spent a couple hours checking it out and found the "charge pipe to the throttle partially disconnected". That wasn't it as the Limpy Mode still prevails. "The Mass Airflow KG/H reading is erratic and drops off the same time the reduced power is felt." Throwing a new Bosch MAF sensor at it and hope that we are back and running...
Staying positive.

I read a lot more about the guys with the 335d writing more about CBU issues than with the x35d- any speculation as to why?
The EGR system is different between the two
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Charge air faults and low air flow - check the pipe and connections from the turbo to the intercooler and to the intake. Perhaps a clamp came loose.
Man, is it cramped in the engine compartment. Forget getting under and taking off plastic underbody cover to look that way. Can barely fit my head under there.

Ingenieur - where do I look without a lift? It seems the turbo is on the passenger side on the engine down low? Am I in the right area? My first BMW was a 1984 R100 which was a little easier to work on This is a whole different beast, which is why I've handed off to my local Indy, with a back up appointment with the dealership. In the meantime I'd like to keep learning more.

Sure you've all seen this technical manual, but I didn't find it in the forum, found it on the web. Pretty interesting.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/AdvancedDies...erformance.pdf

The Mass airflow sensor swap didn't remedy the issue. They feel the next course of action is to swap out is the turbo boost pressure sensor. I know there is not easy solution, code A = replace component B, etc - but can they even bench test the components to see if they are working or is it just not worth the time and easier to just replace the electronic components? (I imagine the latter)

When I got it home from the shop the codes I read were the...
P0069 Manifold Absolute Pressure - Barometric Pressure Correlation
P2279 Intake air system leak
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

I imagine they cleared the codes and these are the first to reappear, so are the ones to most likely point to the issue. The Intake Air System Leak screams out to me as something I may be able to find....

I just want to be able to drive this thing and get it above 40mph!!!